Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French FM modulator

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone manged to find a vacant FM frequency to use an FM modulator on that works Calais - Reims -Troyes - Dijon?
Every time I try, the entire bandwidth seemfull of babbling froggies and europop!
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
martinperry, we use one all the time. I haven't got the thing handy, but next time I am in the car I will check which frequencies we have programmed in. It has taken some experimentation, but the last few trips have been fine, apart from an occasional adjustment.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I got one thinking it might be a handy, cheap way of not having to burn CDs for the changer.
Biggest waste of time ever. So many stations so close together that there is no gap unless you only drive in a very local area, and I need the car stereo volume up to about 27 to listen to it, but down on about 8-9 for normal radio stations. So if you've got it working for a bit, suddenly a local station comes in to range, and nearly blows the windows out.
Next car will have USB socket.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
andy, as will ours, but we've managed to get ours to work with a bit of experimentation. Watch it will all go t!ts up on my next trip.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you need to buy a new gadget and FM is not so great, would a Bluetooth device work instead? We've a Bluetooth enabled radio in the car and had no problems with music from our phones across Holland, Germany, Switzerland and France last Winter.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Andy,
Very much our experience!!
Unfortunatley, weve got a volvo integrated unit with no USB or bluetooth
Fantastic sound quality though, so looks like lots more burnt CDs!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
martinperry, Whoops - didn't spot that you would still need an auxiliary input of some sort unless you can somehow wire Bluetooth stuff in the back (don't Parrot devices work that way?), which then looks like being a more in-depth job.

Unless the radio is otherwise great, I would consider a replacement head unit with an appropriate input - budget dependant, of course.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Tomorrow im going to install a wired FM modulator (bought off ebay for 25 quid) for this very reason and also to try to eliminate interference. Fed up of having my phone on flight mode when im driving!

Looks dead simple to install if you have a vague competency in car electrics and should be compatible with just about any car radio. Much cheaper than a new head unit and still means I can use steering wheel controls for volume, etc. Will report back.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
martinperry, do you have a cassette player in your integrated system? We had a cassette connection to an audio jack to attach the ipad in our 2006 car. Asked Volvo about fitting an aux connection?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
martinperry, I hate the dam things because the cheap (Chinese) crap on the market broadcasts within the available spectrum and there will always be some other numbnut broadcasting dross down/up there. If that is all you can do other than replacing the 'head unit' (check that the model you have does not have an 'aux' input in the cable bundle on its bum) . . . talk to an old fashioned radio engineer. A CB shop in Ohio tweeked my both my radio and my crappy phone plugin TR for $25 to be absolutely stable in my last truck. I cannot survive over here without Interweb radio Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
martinperry, if you are still watching this, the frequency we used which worked all through France was 107.9 . Occasional interference from high voltage electrics overhead, but otherwise steady as a rock. The other tip from hubby is to unscrew your radio aerial if you can. THings have also been better with our Ipod since we started using one which plugs into the ipod connector instead of the headphone socket.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There are two easy solutions:

1) If you don't have Bluetooth, then it's a sensible addition given the dangers of phones and driving. Buy the cheapest fitted kit (Nokia/Parrot/etc) and fit it yourself. They are frighteningly simple with no drilling or anything. Remove radio. Unplug bundle of wires from radio and plug into Bluetooth box. Plug bundle of wires on Bluetooth box into radio. Stick on microphone, job done. This will allow music to be streamed over the car speakers and calls to be handles safely. All you need is the make model of your car so that the supplier can make sure the plugs are the same shape. Have a look on ebay.

2) For similar money, often less, fit an adapter. Works in the same way as above to stream music through the car's speakers but allows the radio controls to control your phone/mp3 player. Search google/ebay for Xcarlink, Yatour, etc.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy