Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

British Skier Cross...

Poster: A snowHead
... I follow and take an interest in the results and progress of a couple of the Brits who Race on the Ski Cross circuit.

I checked out the BSS website this morning to see whether we had anyone coming up in the junior ranks.

http://www.teambss.org.uk/

It seems we have a British Squad for pretty much everything, including Snowboarder Cross... except Skier Cross. Puzzled

So how does it work for Emily Sarsfeld, Pam Thorburn and Ed Drake? How come they aren't recognised?

The reason I take an interest is because imho, Skier Cross will become the 'in thing' when it comes to racing.

It ticks many box's, and brings together an element of Racing and 'cool freestyle image'... and makes for a great TV as well as live spectacle.

I also believe it will be a lot easier for certain British Athletes to compete equally on.

Is there a reason why the 'Authorities' aren't promoting this sport better?... it's the future as far as I can see.

Any ideas folks?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think your "cool" compass needs a reset!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spud wrote:
... I follow and take an interest in the results and progress of a couple of the Brits who Race on the Ski Cross circuit.

I checked out the BSS website this morning to see whether we had anyone coming up in the junior ranks.

http://www.teambss.org.uk/

It seems we have a British Squad for pretty much everything, including Snowboarder Cross... except Skier Cross. Puzzled

So how does it work for Emily Sarsfield, Pam Thorburn and Ed Drake? How come they aren't recognised?

The reason I take an interest is because imho, Skier Cross will become the 'in thing' when it comes to racing.

It ticks many box's, and brings together an element of Racing and 'cool freestyle image'... and makes for a great TV as well as live spectacle.

I also believe it will be a lot easier for certain British Athletes to compete equally on.

Is there a reason why the 'Authorities' aren't promoting this sport better?... it's the future as far as I can see.

Any ideas folks?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Really..? Not from the groms I've spoken too... Puzzled
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Think the squad is just missing from the website - here is some news from the website about the skier cross team http://www.teambss.org.uk/news/latest-news/big-weekend-for-british-ski-and-snowboard-sochi-hopefuls/

Extract

'The Team BSS Ski Cross racers they will compete in the first World Cup of the season in Nakiska, Canada. In action will be Emily Sarsfield (who has already met the Olympic Qualifying Standards), Pam Thorburn, Ed Drake and Pete Whelan. Competition runs across Saturday and Sunday.'

Think there also some juniors who represented GB at the end of last season.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Scot_Ski wrote:
Think the squad is just missing from the website - here is some news from the website about the skier cross team http://www.teambss.org.uk/news/latest-news/big-weekend-for-british-ski-and-snowboard-sochi-hopefuls/

Extract

'The Team BSS Ski Cross racers they will compete in the first World Cup of the season in Nakiska, Canada. In action will be Emily Sarsfield (who has already met the Olympic Qualifying Standards), Pam Thorburn, Ed Drake and Pete Whelan. Competition runs across Saturday and Sunday.'

Think there also some juniors who represented GB at the end of last season.

Yes... cheers for that... I did notice it... I just thought it weird for the squad members not to be included in the Website. All very odd... especially if there were any potential sponsers looking to attach themselves to someone.

They don't help themselves do they? rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Have you contacted BSS and asked them why?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dashed wrote:
Have you contacted BSS and asked them why?

I haven't to be honest... although it's 12.30, what's the point?...they are probably quaffing on their 3rd sherry by now, admiring one another's polished Blazer buttons and discussing the finer points of the décor in the Fitzroy Tavern wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Skier cross this weekend is Friday and Saturday; not sunday unless they postphone because its warm, but they are using the track on sunday

spud, Skier cross is fairly big time here now; they have a long term development plan and are now having structured programs for U12 and up integrating with the ski racing programs. It falls under canada alpine's umbrella and they tend to align it with alpine racing, not freestyle http://www.alpinecanada.org/ski-cross/development-ski-cross . Alberta Alpine are responsible for it in Alberta and they are into alpine racing.

Like you I think its great opportunity for the brits, put in a great time trial and suddenly you are in the top 32 or 16 and then anything can happen; plus its a great spectator sport. Hoping for a good result from both the brits and the canadians at nakiska
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spud wrote:

Yes... cheers for that... I did notice it... I just thought it weird for the squad members not to be included in the Website. All very odd... especially if there were any potential sponsers looking to attach themselves to someone.

Err... http://www.teambss.org.uk/ski-snowboard-squads/freestyle/british-freestyle-ski-cross-squad/
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They will be competing at Val Thorens at the end of the week. We will make sure we go and cheer them on. Agree with you that it is a great looking sport, lots of direct competition and a whole range of skills and thrills.

We have a very strong team and being an Olympic event will be bound to grow with the exposure it is getting. I think 4 of our skiers have qualified for Sochi??

I don't understand, or even care to, the governance and various clubs of British skiing so have no idea if they are being officially supported. I know they they were doing an inventive thing where if people personally sponsored them a small bit for Sochi then they entered you into a little prize draw.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
HandyHand wrote:
spud wrote:

Err... http://www.teambss.org.uk/ski-snowboard-squads/freestyle/british-freestyle-ski-cross-squad/

Haha... my mistake... wasn't expecting to see it under 'Freestyle'... was looking under Alpine..doh! Many thanks Razz

Totally agree with the previous post as well...it is an exciting sport Razz
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gryphea wrote:
Skier cross this weekend is Friday and Saturday; not sunday unless they postphone because its warm, but they are using the track on sunday

spud, Skier cross is fairly big time here now; they have a long term development plan and are now having structured programs for U12 and up integrating with the ski racing programs. It falls under canada alpine's umbrella and they tend to align it with alpine racing, not freestyle http://www.alpinecanada.org/ski-cross/development-ski-cross . Alberta Alpine are responsible for it in Alberta and they are into alpine racing.

Like you I think its great opportunity for the brits, put in a great time trial and suddenly you are in the top 32 or 16 and then anything can happen; plus its a great spectator sport. Hoping for a good result from both the brits and the canadians at nakiska

So I understand... That's why I thought it strange when someone said it wasn't 'cool'.

Also why I was looking under Alpine and not Freestyle...as that's what it should be.

Loads of kids are taking it up.

Have fun in Nakiska... I'm late getting out this season, was hoping to get to LL and this...but missed out. Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
spud wrote:

So why didn't you know that Skier Cross is Freestyle not Alpine Puzzled
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stewart woodward wrote:
spud wrote:

So why didn't you know that Skier Cross is Freestyle not Alpine Puzzled

Because I just look at the results and follow a few on twitter and FB... it never occurred or connected in my head tbh.
snow report
I don't know or care what it is classified as - just that it looks a great sport.
ski holidays
Quote:

We have a very strong team and being an Olympic event will be bound to grow with the exposure it is getting. I think 4 of our skiers have qualified for Sochi??

Don't think this is correct. I think that they may have met the Olympic qualifying criteria, but not the british one. Only Emily has a spot currently I think
latest report
Looks like Ed Drake is attempting qualification this week, lots of luck to him! (He was lovely to my girls at Hemel!) Pretty depressing article in the Independent about his funding though: http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/general/others/kevin-garside-ed-drake-works-on-a-building-site-and-pays-to-transport-his-own-skis-its-no-way-to-maximise-your-winter-olympic-medal-chances-8976262.html (apologies if this has been shared before!)
latest report
Chatted to Ed today; disappointing for him that the second nakiska event got cancelled. Says he needs to be top 32 in world to qualify as they only let 32 athletes in.

Emily had a decent run, nearly getting a second to go through to quarters but she did get a 3rd which meant 24th place overall. She signed my son's helmet.

It was completely cold today. Freezing.
ski holidays
PS Son (U12) got to slip the course today.

Direct link to this post

Rate Post: ? :: ? (?)

Sun 08 Dec, 13
02:06

function openAllSmiles(){
smiles = window.open('quick_reply.php?mode=smilies', '_phpbbsmilies', 'HEIGHT=300,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes,WIDTH=250');
smiles.focus();
return false;
}

function quoteSelection() {

theSelection = false;
if (window.getSelection) {
theSelection = window.getSelection().toString();
}
else if (document.selection) {
theSelection = document.selection.createRange().text;
}

if (theSelection) {
// Add tags around selection
emoticon( '
Quote:
\n' + theSelection + '\n
\n');
document.post.message.focus();
theSelection = '';
return;
}else{
alert('Select a text anywhere on a page and try again');
}
}

function storeCaret(textEl) {
if (textEl.createTextRange) textEl.caretPos = document.selection.createRange().duplicate();
}

function emoticon(text) {
if (document.post.message.createTextRange && document.post.message.caretPos) {
var caretPos = document.post.message.caretPos;
caretPos.text = caretPos.text.charAt(caretPos.text.length - 1) == ' ' ? text + ' ' : text;
} else {
document.post.message.value += text;
}
}

function checkForm() {
formErrors = false;
if (document.post.message.value.length < 2) {
formErrors = 'You might want to enter a message when posting.';
}
if (formErrors) {
alert(formErrors);
return false;
} else {
if (document.post.quick_quote.checked) {
document.post.message.value = document.post.last_msg.value + document.post.message.value;
}
document.post.quick_quote.checked = false;
return true;
}
}

[/quote]
latest report
Very good article, didn't realise it was that bad.
latest report
You will find all GBR Freestyle athlete's international results at http://www.freestylesnowsports.co.uk/res.htm
Click on 2013/14 for the spread sheet which I link to and update after each event. (Just about to post the latest SX results). Highlighted in red are any results that qualify for Olympics for GBR. This has all freestyle events, SX, HP, SS, MO, AE which are all Olympic events now. FIS put SX in freestyle so that's where it is organised although most of the GBR athletes come from an alpine background.
On the BSS website you will find the GBR Olympic qualification criteria for each discipline.
Which athletes get the very limited GBR funding is decided by BOA and they will make the final decisions in January as to who goes to Sochi.
ski holidays
Should also have said that the 2013/14 results page only shows results from July 2013. To see who had any qualifying results from the previous season click on 2012/13.
latest report
stewart woodward, Its closer to Alpine that freestyle but FIS are a little out of touch!
latest report
Fattes13 wrote:
stewart woodward, Its closer to Alpine that freestyle but FIS are a little out of touch!

I know what it is & I also know where the results are!
snow report
Fattes13 wrote:

Agreed... I presume that's why Canada include it under their Alpine programme

http://www.alpinecanada.org/
snow conditions
stewart woodward, You can drop the attitude it is neither required nor warranted! Your responses have been quite caustic & bitter, and not in keeping with the tone of the thread.
snow report
spud,

Whilst they do include it in their Alpine programme and are pretty successful at it, they explained on Saturday that the Olympic maximum allowed for Canada is 26 atheletes for Freestyle, including Skier Cross , so whilst these peeps are completely aligned with Alpine Canada internally who gets to go to the Olympics depends on how the other freestylers are doing and not the other alpiners.

It seems that from a safety point of view its more aligned with Alpine as well as from a racer point of view and maybe that's an issue.

Time for FIS to reconsider?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Totally more aligned with Alpine than Freestyle gryphea, it's total racing.

I'm guessing it has more to do with 'tradition' and history of the typical 4 Alpine discipline's.

With a little research old wiki came up with the obvious thoughts...

Despite its being a timed racing event, it is often considered part of freestyle skiing because it incorporates terrain features traditionally found in freestyle.

The addition of ski cross as a freestyle discipline drew widespread criticism throughout the freestyle skiing community. Most freestyle skiers believe that Ski Cross should be considered an Alpine discipline rather than a Freestyle discipline. Ski Cross athletes almost exclusively come from alpine programs.

That sort of bares fruit to the argument I suppose...

I've often thought Skiing and it's various sports are hard to follow and navigate from a spectator or promising participant point of view...anyone else find the FIS website a ball ache to navigate?
ski holidays
spud, FIS have redone the page for this year, its focus is the high end stuff, World Cup competition across all disciplines. It is a bit of a mare but once you get used to it you will know where everything is but its still a mess
snow conditions
Yes mate... I've always found the old FIS easy to follow...when they changed it, I thought it was for the worse.

It's great if you have the time to play around on it, but I should imagine many followers on the peripheral just give up.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy