Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cat Skiing? Heli Skiing? Nah. Parachute skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/upskisnow/upski-experience-wind-mountaineering

A parachute designed to pull you uphill, assuming the breeze is blowing the right way of course
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
feef, if you fancy a go they do courses in Chamonix.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I was wondering just how much trouble I'd be in if I took my power kite and used it as an up lift in resort! rolling eyes
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Didn't you see this thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104572 ??

This season hoping to kite a fair bit
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
gixxerniknik, short answer is "a lot". Kitesurfing (close relation) is f'ng hard enough, and that's with 'soft' water to land on.
Weathercam's link is firmly in the "watch from the comfort of armchair" unless you're young/brave/foolhardy/already sh*t hot on ski's/live in the resort.

I'd love to try it though... looks like one hellf of a rush. Would be interested to see how it compares to speedskiing (at least with those canopies, you've got a degree of consistent 'lift'.... not sure how kites compare to that).
and having been on a paragliding course and seeing an experienced flyer wrap himself round a power line, having 20/20 vision is another requirement....
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hamilton, a mate and I actually did not too bad on our first venture snow kiting, mine was an 8m Ozone - for sure I sorted the kite out before I went up to the Col to where it's all done in the field by my apartment. My mate chose to use his normal kites.

Once up there we didn't do to badly, in fact actually compared to others we looked like we'd been doing it more than a few times!

By ten to fifteen minutes in I was going a fair distance under kite power, and the wind was quite light. In fact this was what I put on my blog "I was on a 8.5 others were struggling on 10's wind speed was only around 7-10mph if that!"

More here

I stuck to skis and my mate stayed on a board.

Like I say, I'm hoping to do a lot more as I'm out for the season.

My mate (in the pic below) is a certain Lewis Crathern, (Google him along with Worthing & Brighton piers ) and to be sure; the sort of antics you'd want to watch from the comfort of your armchair Laughing

snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
8m kite! I struggle to control my 3.5m bullet at times (mostly when it's in the air!) Mind you, it must be a hell of a buzz just to get consistantly moving.

So where can you do this? I've just assumed that it'd be a huge no-no in any resort, and TBH I don't think I'd fit the kite in the normal luggage allowance either.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
gixxerniknik, shots above are up at the Col du Lautaret which is well away from any resort, around 14km to be precise rolling eyes

That said there's also an open field that is used as well if conditions are right around 3km from a "resort".

In Jan there's the Snow Kiting Masters http://www.snowkitemaster.com/ up at the Col
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think the point of the UpSki system isn't that it's a fast, exhilarating sport in it's own right, but that it's a controllable method of uplift. Traction kites and whatnot would all be a bit too committed I think.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
feef, you can go as hard or as slow as you want with a kite, it's all about handling the power, and obviously getting the right sized kite for what you want to do.

Getting airtime, hangtime at altitude is seriously huge compared to being on the water (sea level) and that's to do with air pressure. Guys are hanging easily five times as long in the air as at sea level, though not too sure if they kite loop.

If you're a reasonably competent kitesurfer and good at snow sports then it's quite an easy cross over.

I'd love it if I was to get to the stage this year in being able to kite up whilst my mates skin up, only hassle would be skiing back down with my waist harness on, last season I tried kiting with my climbing harness but kept coming loose with the on off off power, might have to revisit that Puzzled
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy