Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Engelberg or Kaprun for weekend Corporate Jolly?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Taking 28 people on a works jolly at the end of Jan, I'm really struggling to find availability but have found options in Engelberg or Kaprun.

They both look a bit small compared to what I'm used to (Val Di) so I'm worried we will get bored (we have 3 days skiing). We are a mix of skiing ability and like hitting the Apres quite hard but still get up in the morning for a full day.

Can anyone comment based on their experience please?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kaprun is a nice little town but the skiing is dull and difficult to get to (well the glacier bit is)
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Engelberg (Titlis) is not a big ski area in terms of piste kms but should be fine for 3 days. The more advanced members of your group will love it if the snow is good. Laub and Galtiberg are 2 of my all time favourite off-piste runs. There is also the Brunni mountain very small but ok for a day. Nice town and decent apres...Yucatan snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
trainee snowboard jedi, I ran a corporate trip to Engelberg once - Hotel Terrace I think it was. It's a bus or long walk to lifts. Pretty decent ski area with, as mentioned, one of the alps' epic off-piste routes but it does get a bit rammed at week-ends by Zurichites. Yucatan is pretty-much the only game in town for apres. With a group that size it is worth talking to the tourist office and seeing what they can suggest or lay on. I ended up with a meal up the mountain at night and a torch lit descent on foot.

Kaprun is great (preferable village in my view) apart from the bussing to the Kitzsteinhorn. The Maiskogl area is very near but not really big enough to keep everyone amused. Better selection of nightlife.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 4-12-13 18:33; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you like the après & you've mixed abilities, have you considered Soll, or somewhere on the Skiwelt? Tourist off should be able to sort you out with acc for 28 at that time of year. Last corporate ski jolly I was on we went to a tiny resort in Norway. Ended up being completely tied to organised skiing & après, small resort was very restrictive & après was very limited. Not complaining, but if we'd gone somewhere with something for everyone it would've been better again. The non-skiers & beginners were bored out of their minds!! Skiwelt has something for everyone Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I love Engelberg for the off piste but a lot of it is on glacial terrain and a guide is essential, but may not be available at short notice.

The piste skiing is limited and I reckon could easily be skied out in two days and as has been said it can get busy at weekends as it is easily accessible by rail.

Great scenery as well but it might not be best suited for your needs.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Kaprun is a nice little town but the skiing is dull ...

Puzzled I find the runs on the Kitzsteinhorn interesting enough (though all above the tree line) and at the end of January with luck there should be off piste areas available. At the Gipfelwelt 3000 (the top station of the cable car) there is also the National Park Hohe Tauern gallery in the tunnel to look at, for anyone who wants a rest from skiing.

To give more variety (or if the weather up top is bad) you could also ski in Zell am See (though needing a bus to get to both areas from Kaprun).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Kaprun is a nice little town but the skiing is dull...

But:
Quote:
This season, Kitzsteinhorn offers a new challenge: “Black Mamba”, a groomed slope up to 63% steep! The black piste 14 is 1000 metres long, covers 290 metres in altitude and is venomous like a mamba – perfect for all experts who love it steep! The run starts at the valley station of Kristallbahn at 2,265 metres and ends at Langwiedboden.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
But:
Quote:
This season, Kitzsteinhorn offers a new challenge: “Black Mamba”, a groomed slope up to 63% steep! The black piste 14 is 1000 metres long, covers 290 metres in altitude and is venomous like a mamba – perfect for all experts who love it steep! The run starts at the valley station of Kristallbahn at 2,265 metres and ends at Langwiedboden.
[/quote]

Brilliant!! Bring the team up there first thing for a team-building excercise, lol!!

Yes Zell am See might be a good option too? Get emailing the tourist offices- with a group that size you need to get moving Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saalbach Hinterglemm are the kings of the group trip.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I take it that 63% means something like 0.63 x 45degrees ...?!

Anyway I would strongly recommend Kaprun. Maiskogel is ok. Zell is 10 minutes bus. kitz is a bit less but then longer lift up

I thought Kaprun had surprisingly good après
Quiet village otherwise though
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bode Swiller wrote:

That was what my first thought rant to, too.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Plus it has the Alps biggest strip club wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
63% = approx 32º (% is vertical drop divided by horizontal travel x100. Opposite/Adjacent is Tangent of the angle. Look on Tan tables and 0.63 = tan 32º).

Engelberg: If your skiers ski off piste there is loads for a week - with a guide anyway. If there is enough snow for skiing on the other - south facing - side of the valley (which is better for relative beginners) then there is certainly enough on piste as well for only 3 days. As far as I remember the main, North facing, side of the mountain is generally not suited to beginners.
I've not skied Kaprun
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy