Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late deals

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. A friend and I are looking to go skiing in the alps, preferably Austria, next March. I'm not sure when the best time is to book it up as we want to save some money if possible. I'm hoping to get some advice from someone who has booked a last minute deal before. How late should I leave it before booking? Is 1 month still too long before the departure date? I'm a bit worried that waiting any closer than that might restrict our options. Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Is 1 month still too long before the departure date? I'm a bit worried that waiting any closer than that might restrict our options.

Yes it is too long before, if you want to save money. But yes, of course a last minute deal will restrict your options; why would anyone book early at full price otherwise?

For a late booking you need to be flexible about your destination, the style of accommodation and probably your departure airport.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sorry, I should have said severely restrict our options! Just hoping to get any idea of how late I can leave it and still get a bit of choice over resort, hotel etc
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bulgaria awaits.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
About 10 days before but it could be just a couple of days before that you get what you want.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Gremlin81, Later in March you could probably wait until a few days before. We have had dead cheap deals waiting until 24 hours. Resort selection criteria were ..... anywhere with snow and a hill is fine.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We have done lots of last minute deals to Austria in March/April, normally booked about 5 to 10 days in advance depending on my nerve, all have worked out very well. The best one yet cost £400 for flights, transfers and half board in Manni's Sporthotel Mayrhofen, the others in the group had paid more than £800.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Gremlin81, Have an open mind for where you could ski. Last season I was in St Anton, 4* chalet deal booked 7 days before departure at £400 less than those who booked a couple of months in advance. Essentially you just need to be lucky rather than choosy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Book the flights now, then accommodation nearer the time in which ever resorts you want.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Essentially you just need to be lucky rather than choosy.

this. Got a great deal in Courchevel 1650, good chalet, early January, 48 hours before departure. But had already decided to drive, so transport wasn't an issue. On another last minute deal got the train down, 2 extra days skiing, but had to cross Paris between stations - all part of the fun.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gremlin81, if you're happy to be very flexible about where you go, leave it until as late as your nerve will stand! However, also be prepared that you may well end up going somewhere you hadn't previously considered (or WOULD'NT have considered a few months earlier) and have shredded nerves in the interim. With only two you might be lucky as the experience of others above will show.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Gremlin81, Pick a list of resorts you fancy, preset budget which you're happy with, agree this with your friend and charge up your debit/credit card to suit.

Start checking big TO websites, snow reports and forecasts 2 weeks before you want to go. When the snow report and forecast look good, the resort is on the list and you're under budget press "Buy It Now".

If this fails go for the cheapest deal you can see two days before departure and have a great time anyway.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you want to save serious money don't commit to day before, if you want more certainty just negotiate as hard as you can booking as soon as you're comfprtable. TOs are wise to the late deals "perception" but know that most punters are chicken when it comes down to it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LAte deals used to be easy to come by, but I find over last few seasons there gave been drying up due to TO reducing what they have on offer in the first place I suspect. Equally you will probably always get a late deal from Gatwick, it's us in the provinces that lose out.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy