Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

no ankle flex after injury, any advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Dear all,

Less than 3 months to our ski holiday in Claviere, having been there this February having lessons things were going well - I'm certainly no expert, this will be my 5th week of skiing having lessons everytime - and we're now on to carving.
I think I understand the theory of it, pressure/weight on the edges simply by flexing the ankles/knees. This brings me onto my problem, an old football injury has left me with reduced flex in my right ankle, and this seems to be hindering my progress in carving.
Is this really the problem or am i making excuses for being, how you say, no very good at it??
would a few visits to the physio be a good idea, or am i too late, is the damage done - I broke my leg 15 years ago, I'm 41 so no spring chicken.

thanks for any help!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hard to say without seeing you ski what the impact of the injury is on your skiing.

I also have limited dorsiflexion, albeit without the excuse of injury. Rather than dealing with the biomechanics directly, I've gone and bought a much more upright pair of boots, which I can flex within my natural range of movement. That may be something you might want to look at. Otherwise, a bootfitter might suggest heel lifts which can help open the joint up.

Otherwise, physio sounds like a good option. The physio is unlikely to hurt. Actually, it is likely to hurt, just not likely to do lasting damage. You get my meaning.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
howster, presumably you've been doing the normal kinds of ankle flex exercises, without getting very far? If not, that's your first (and cheapest) option.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gorilla thanks for replying, I know its defficult to answer me without seeing me actually ski, i just know the problem is there as i have it in everyday life, jogging etc.

There is a physio i use, pain isn't an issue, i recently had a "deep tissue massage" from her and jeesh there isn't much that hurts more than that - but it worked!!.

Boots, I've just spent £400 on new boots last year so can't be getting any new ones, but i will definitely go back to the boot fitter see if he can offer any advice.

thanks again!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam, no i've done absolutely nowt with regards to flex exercises, I'm pretty fit and active - football, golf, jogging etc i'm no couch potatoe - so never thought I'd need it but now you've said it, thats such an obvious route to take!!

I'm sure youtube will have something on there i can try..

thanks for the reply
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
howster,
Quote:

I think I understand the theory of it, pressure/weight on the edges simply by flexing the ankles/knees. This brings me onto my problem, an old football injury has left me with reduced flex in my right ankle, and this seems to be hindering my progress in carving.

Is this really the problem or am i making excuses for being, how you say, no very good at it??

The injury won't help but you're mainly making excuses. If you can get a ski boot on, you can carve, at least on shallow pitches. Steeper pitches will require more pressure and a greater amount of long leg/short leg which could be restricted by lack of ankle flex but it won't stop the basic carving movement which is rolling the knees/ankles to one side to engage the edges with zero rotation. As gorilla says, a stiffer, more upright boot will allow you to apply more pressure with less movement.

At 5 weeks on snow, it's borderline whether you'd have the necessary skills to carve. Some can do it at that level of experience, most can't, so keep practising and taking lessons. Chances are you've either got some heel movement going on (rotation) or you're not tipping the skis sufficiently to engage the edges. Try doing it in a race tuck on a shallow slope - that position pretty much eliminates any possibility of rotational movement.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
raceplate, thanks for your (brutal) honesty!! Just what i needed to hear to be honest.

we did carving on a gentle slope earlier this year and all went well, I don't think i'm at the level that i can do it on reds, in fact i know i'm not but I'd LOVE to be able to do it!!

please can you clarify what you mean regarding heel rotation & engaging the edges, I'm more than happy to learn about things...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
howster, here you go - this is as good an explanation of how to begin carving as any I've come across and is pretty much exactly the way I learnt (at 8 weeks on snow). http://www.realskiers.com/shapeshifter.html

Heel rotation means actively steering the ski by rotating your foot (not required), engaging the edges means tipping the skis over sufficiently so that they turn you instead of you turning them.

Carving Red runs is a high level skill so don't beat yourself up about not being able to do it. I wouldn't expect the majority of skiers to be able to cleanly carve ALL of a red run (not just the 'blue' bits) at less than 20-30 weeks experience and even then only in favourable conditions.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
howster, I had a nasty ankle sprain after an off road motorbike crash. I found running up steep spoil heaps but keeping the heel low has helped to get the flex back, plus balance cushion and wobble board exercises.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
raceplate, many many thanks, i'm going to print that out and take with me!! I'm never sure what level i should be at after 4 weeks, the lessons have been great so far, with really great teachers. I think part of my problem is I'm holidaying with my brother & mate and they've been going 20 years now, think i'm setting my bat too high. But i definitely do the heel rotation thing, when i think back i can see myself doing it, i'll focus on that in February see if i can make it a thing of the past....

Avalanche, you make perfect sense, think i need to put some time aside to do some flex exercises, hope your ankle is fine now!!

thanks again for the help
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy