Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving to Geneva Airport to pick someone up

Poster: A snowHead
We are driving to St Gervais in 2 weeks, counting down the days.
My daughter cant come out till after school a few days later and will fly into Geneva on (sl)Easyjet.
I will drive and pick her up but I have been told it is really expensive to get there via the Swiss Motorway/ needs a pass. Can anyone advise re options - e.g. does it help if she walks through French side (I havent driven to Geneva Airport so dont know what I am talking about!). Also is there an option to drive to the Airport without using the motorway (I'm pretty good at navigating!). thanks Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ninthtoe, welcome to snowheads. Its no problem getting to the airport without the Swiss motorway. Ignore the airport signs from the French motorway but head into Geneva. Its quicker if the traffic is light. Going to the French side won't help as you would go thro Switzerland anyway. Parking at the airport is ok head for the arrivals car park, some CHFs useful, it's cheap and I think they take cards. For somewhere to meet, there is a cafe just to the right of the arrivals gate as you come thro it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
have a look at this : http://www.gva.ch/en/Portaldata/1/Resources/fichiers/voyageurs/plans_d_acces/GA_Plan3.pdf and the rest of the GVA website. If you enter Geneva through the Thonex customs barrier, you won't need a motorway vignette, but you need to exit that way as well, without taking a motorway (which is what the vignette is for) . Thonex can get busy during traditional rush hour times i.e. around 4.30-6. driving around to the French side would be way longer. all IMHO....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Your best and cheapest solution would be to get your daughter to get alpy bus or mountain drop offs to bring her up to the SNCF station at la fayet( they drop off on the way to chamonix) it will cost about 30 euros and they run about every 30 mins. It will cost you about 10 euros return for tolls alone if you go down to geneva without fuel 100 miles worth and parking charge.Nearly all my friends do this and i collect them from there.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ninthtoe, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Brock's suggestion is a very good one. But if you want to go right into the airport, forget about the French side, it adds unnecessary complications. Drive through Geneva, thus avoiding the Swiss motorway and the need for a vignette altogether. If you are a decent navigator it's no problem - follow signs to the airport once you've rounded the end of the lake (have a look at google maps). It's shorter than the motorway route.

You don't say when your daughter is arriving - the airport can get very congested at peak times.

You don't need to pay the French tolls on the A40 but they're not particularly onerous and it'll be a lot quicker that way.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ninthtoe, pam w, is right, except (spot the deliberate error) you do have to pay the tolls on the A40, or it will take 30-40 minutes longer each way (going through Sallanches, Cluses, etc.)
For details of route, check ViaMichelin with the avoid vignette option.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beequin, I did make it clear that using the A40 and paying the tolls would be a lot quicker.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, You are right, apologies for misconstruing your syntax. As a side note, ViaMichelin likes Aeroport Geneve as a destination, rather than Geneva Airport.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ninthtoe, one of the (many) reasons for going to the Swiss side of the airport is that that is where your daughter will emerge, if she follows the obvious channel through immigration/baggage. Another is that all the road signs through Gva will take you there - finding the French side is more difficult.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alternatively she could pick up the free train ticket into central Geneva from the baggage hall and meet you at Geneva Cornavin station. That way you only have half of Geneva to navigate through. In reality though, unless you are driving through Geneva in the morning or evening rush hour it really isn't too bad.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wow, thanks for the great replies so helpful so I now understand the airport and roads, thanks everyone. Her flight arrives at 8pm. So I think I am probably being an over anxious parent, my daughter is 18 (just) but she is travelling alone. I will look at the Alpy bus option which would really make more sense wouldn't it and then I can collect her from the gare near St Gervais which is the first stop. I will give them a call (Alpybus) and see if they are running one then. She will have a mobile with her. Anyone any experience with Alpy bus or other companies in terms of reliability/suitability for solo passenger?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I too will need to pick up (2100) and drop off (1700) at Geneva around New Year. The link below shows various access points to the airport and I was going to use the Saint-Julien/Perly route rather than purchase the vignette. Although it is the long way round will it be any quicker/easier than using the Thonex route?. I will be travelling from Cluses so will use the A40. THe link below is from the GVA site.

http://www.gva.ch/en/Portaldata/1/Resources/fichiers/publications/af.pdf
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I had to drop family off at Geneva airport a couple of weeks ago on a weekday morning. I didn't have the motorway vignette and thought that I'd just drive through the city as I've done it a few times and it's never been that busy. I didn't however realise that during the morning rush hour Geneva grinds to a halt. It took us an hour from Les Contamines to the border at Thonex were I joined a queue of cars that crawled at walking pace into the centre, it took us nearly 2 hours to drive the 10 miles from the border to the airport! My relatives literally had to sprint through the airport to make their flight, If I was going again at rush hour then without a doubt I'd just pay for the vignette and take the swiss motorway as it's far quicker.

Even going in the evening it will take you around 3-4 hours round trip with 100+ miles of driving and two tolls booths each way that are just a pain if your in a right hand drive car on your own. Add in the fact that it will be dark, probably very cold and maybe snowing then Brock's suggestion about alpybus or chamexpress is probably the cheapest and easiest on yourself!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you've not been put off driving or are not convinced about the bus option, don't dismiss the drive. It's an easy drive via the motorway, and I agree that you should avoid the convoluted route to try stay in France. Not worth the grief. Bear in mind Swiss motorways are signposted Green, and A roads are blue-the opposite of France.

These days they may nab you for the vignette on the way in at the border. In the past we have got away with it a lot on a few return trips, but I think they are more alive to it, especially after the new year. It's 40chf (so you're not fined, you're just paying your due). At that point you're just about 3 miles from the airport on a straight run. Your then loop over the motorway to the terminal and you're facing your return direction of travel. On the way from the airport back out, you drive straight down the road from the terminal through a couple of sets of traffic lights to the big T junction at the bottom (about a mile). You turn left, then right onto the motorway following the signs for France...so even less Swiss motorway. At the border it's the French waving you through, so no vignette issues there at all as far as I know.

If you are doing an evening pick up, unless it's snowing, I would guess the traffic will be flowing freely. The journey must be pretty much bang on an hour (we used to do it from Les Carroz with a 20 min drive off the mountain included in that time) Effectively, if your daughter texts you when she's boarding the plane in the UK, give it 10-20 mins before you leave, and you will be there by the time the plane lands. The French tolls are about €3.80 at junction 19 and €1.80 midway, so not extortionate.
I think you get 10mins free parking in the arrivals and departures short term parking and then it costs, so you will need some small change (it's not huge).
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Watch out if you have a 4x4 with roofbox or other tall vehicle at Geneva airport
There are height barriers on some of the car parks near to arrivals and you have to park a couple of hundred metres away near to the Expo
Worth looking at the airport website first to find the route or else you can go around the loop again
Also traffic is just as bad going into Geneva in the morning and out in the evening at peak times whether you are on the motorway or in town
At 8:00pm it should be fine for both routes if you want to save the 40 ChF
snow report
Quote:

avoid the convoluted route to try stay in France

I don't think anyone is talking about this - only necessary if for passport reasons you cannot enter Switzerland. There are basically three routes from Gva airport to St Gervais. One is entirely through France - convoluted indeed, and completely irrelevant here. The second is along the Swiss motorway to the Bardonnex crossing, for which you need a vignette. The third is through Geneva town - shorter, more direct than the motorway but can be busy (as described above, though the Bardonnex route has its congested moments, too).

There is a fourth variation which is using French non-toll roads (for which you follow the green french signposting instead of the blue french signposting, but will cost you a lot of time for saving a few bob on the toll).

For a remotely competent navigator the route through Geneva is not a problem and saves you the motorway vignette.

Just to repeat - the convoluted route staying in France is completely irrelevant to this thread and pointless for any Brits with no passport problems for entry into Switzerland.
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

avoid the convoluted route to try stay in France

Just to repeat - the convoluted route staying in France is completely irrelevant to this thread and pointless for any Brits with no passport problems for entry into Switzerland.

+ 1 million

But --- Just put her on the bus and tell her to get a cab from st gervais to wherever you are having dinner. Done.
snow report
Just a timely reminder for those crossing into Switzerland at Bardonnex, there is a very nasty speed camera on the French side just before the 30 kph limit sign, which is one of the top-earning cameras in France. They can and do pass on the fines. If you're in a hire car, chances are the hire company will also add an admin fee
snow report
I was caught out by the very same camera last year. Fine of 90 euros although no admin fee from the hire company.
snow report
The route en France may be long but I don't think it is convoluted. It does have the significant advantage of avoiding Geneva altogether. I bet it would be far quicker than Burnsey's two hours in the rush 'hour' - particularly if you used the motorway and slipped through Bellegarde-sur-Vaseline. Very pretty too!
snow report
Quote:

Bellegarde-sur-Vaseline

Laughing That's not too far from the Pearly Gates.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy