Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski gear in Aldi...

Poster: A snowHead
Aldi have ski gear due in this Thursday (5th Dec). All their usual stuff including 2 levels of merino base layers and some wool/silk mix ski socks.

I know it's been mentioned in the Lidl thread but thought it's worth another plug.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Absolute chaos in my local aldi this morning.... Glad it was only the 2 pairs of socks I went in for!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tomb, I know what you mean. Same in mine. 6 x pairs of socks, 4 x 2nd base layers, 3 x pair of gloves, 1 x pair of sport glasses with interchangeable lenses... and a partridge in a pear tree.....

All for under 70 pound! Happy with that.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only one pair of salopettes left in our local store by 9.20.......
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had been plugged in the Daily Fail (which I only read cos I was on a flight honest wink )
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
More coverage for Aldi here
http://money.aol.co.uk/2013/12/03/aldi-gets-family-of-four-on-slopes-for-154/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Aldi MetroCentre has loads of everything, except goggles.

Could be the storm keeping folks in.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wonder why they introduce these ranges on weekdays when the majority of working people can't shop until late evening? You'd think the weekend would be a better plan so that people other than the retired, unemployed and shift workers can have a crack...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheaper to get weekday deliveries than weekend deliveries, and the likes of Aldi and Lidl have very small backshop store rooms to maximise shop floor space at minimal cost so they'd have nowhere to store it till the weekend when it is delivered.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
theone,

Mrs M likes the Lidl interchangeable lens glasses - are the Aldi ones good?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia wrote:
I wonder why they introduce these ranges on weekdays when the majority of working people can't shop until late evening? You'd think the weekend would be a better plan so that people other than the retired, unemployed and shift workers can have a crack...

If you really really want something you pop in on your way to work or out at lunchtime, or get a job with an modern employer that allows a tiny bit of flexible working. I don't think Aldi and Lidl hard goods stocking policy is designed to discriminate against the hard working man/woman - it's just the way it is. Plus if they operate on a when its gone its gone basis so it doesn't really matter to them if a certain class of people are effectively excluded.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Their specials always start either Thursday or SUNDAY. Just happens that ski gear is in the Thu sale this time around.

Plenty of stuff still in the one next door to my place but it's all been mixed up in the bins. Don't think there's many jackets/trousers been sold so I guess skiing isn't popular around here, plus there's 1/2 a dozen more stores within 5 miles.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I called in this afternoon on my way to school run - bought various socks including some of the silk-mix which were very good last year, at £4.99 a pair, a zip-neck top (again, past experience has been fine) at £4.99, plus some of the interchangeable lens sunglasses - haven't tried them before but at £3.99, why not? I'm off to AdH next week so will try them out then Very Happy
The soft shell ladies trousers looked OK, but too big for me.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just gone back to pick up another per of the sunglasses.... why not at 3.99.

Still quite a bit left. The perks of working from home Wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I can recommend the merino base layers, tested down to -29C + 80km/h wind.
ski holidays
fatbob, there isn't an Aldi on the way to work or accessible during a dinner break, I'm sure that's true for many people, it means making a special journey. I'm not bothered myself, I don't need any new gear and I'm happy to get my stuff from Decathlon anyway, I was just speculating why they effectively restrict their market for limited range goods by introducing them whilst the majority of people are at work.

Same goes for gig tickets, they seem to always go on sale at 9am on weekdays when fewer people are in a position to sit on the phone/internet for ages trying to buy them.
ski holidays
Anyone know how the Aldi Merino compares to the thicker Icebreaker 260 tops?
snow report
queen bodecia, you could argue they restrict their market far more by only selling ski gear in limited quantities for a limited week of the year - it's just their business model to rotate lots of hard goods into stores to keep bringing new punters through the doors and get regular food shoppers to spend a bit more. If you don't have a Aldi anywhere near you as I don't they don't care about making you happy. Shame as I'd have quite liked a couple of pairs of Merino socks but not to the extent that I'm prepared to get home and drive to a town 15 miles away before 8pm tonight. I don't see it as a flaw in the way they do business - last week I picked up a pair of goggles from Lidl for peanuts as there is one nearer me.
snow report
fatbob, yes true enough.
snow report
any ideas what the different helmets sizes are?
snow conditions
Are the base layers being sold as separates ? In past years they've been boxed as sets and the sizes are not always a good match.

Mind you, I suppose I could buy two packs and eBay the unwanted sizes.
ski holidays
Yeah, tops and leggings were separate, although there was a onesie type one as well, which I imagine would be a total nightmare when you need to spend a penny.
latest report
Bought a ski shirt for £4.99 today. Pleased with it. Just be aware that the sizes appear to be generous. I bought a large (which fits) and I am usually XL. There again, I could be just bragging about my weight loss again.

It is one of those smooth fleeces that are a bit furry on the inside. Clothes not my forte....

snowHead
ski holidays
Yeah it's similar to polartec powerstretch but not as thick...
latest report
Got my 4 year old some thermals, and lots of cheap soacks. Bought myself the merino/silk socks, which I think were a bargain!
latest report
moseyp wrote:

Their Merino tops are itchy Sad
latest report
Can't comment on the recent winter stuff but I have set of the cycling merino thermals which were on sale in the autumn and theyre just as comfortable as my icebreaker
latest report
Quote:

Their Merino tops are itchy

I was a bit concerned about that as I have eczema on my left cubital fossa. Didn't buy it but would love to find a cheaper alternative to Icebreaker
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow! there's usually quite a bit left round here, but it got ganneted. I'm not sure if there ever were thermal trousis in my size. I seem to recall that they only went down to 32 last year. Ski pants also sold.

On the plus side, they have the decent snow boots with a sticky grip. They don't last so long if used on a lot of pavements, but at that price, I don't mind. Plenty of cheap tops and compression gear left too.
ski holidays
I went into to both (lidl and aldi) yesterday -- Aldi stuff seemed a bit better (mainly colour-wise!!). bought two tops (one roll, one zip), silk blend socks and a SNOOD ! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Anyone know if the kids ski gear in Lidl/Aldi has been and gone? I've been keeping an eye out on the mails they send out but not seen anything kids specific. My little lad could do with some new trousers before the end of Jan.

Cheers
Kersh
ski holidays
They had both adult and kids gear in on the same offer. My local one still has quite a lot left so you might still be in luck.
ski holidays
snowbunny wrote:
moseyp wrote:

Their Merino tops are itchy Sad

My 14 YO and I both think the Aldi stuff is great, lighter than my Icebreaker 260 so perfect for spring skiing and every bit as comfortable. My 9 YO on the other hand refuses to wear it as she says it is itchy so guess it comes down to how sensitive your skin is.
latest report
Kersh wrote:
Anyone know if the kids ski gear in Lidl/Aldi has been and gone? I've been keeping an eye out on the mails they send out but not seen anything kids specific. My little lad could do with some new trousers before the end of Jan.

Cheers
Kersh

Lots of kids stuff still in the 2 Aldi stores I've been in this week
snow report
Thanks all, i'll head down there asap! snowHead
latest report
4 pairs of socks from local Aldi in Bradford, and Dainese back protector for £20 from TK Maxx, RRP £88. I'm ALL SET for new year's break, and a happy, not completely broke student NehNeh
snow conditions
I'll say one word.........Gloves.
For those of us that hate the idea of losing expensive gloves Aldi and Lidl are a godsend- and they are surprisingly good.
snow report
Conrad Bool wrote:
I'll say one word.........Gloves.
For those of us that hate the idea of losing expensive gloves Aldi and Lidl are a godsend- and they are surprisingly good.

Yep, I got a spare pair (incorporating 3M thinsulate) for £4.99. Smile
snow conditions
Also picked up a couple of pairs of gloves at Aldi... 4.99 each. Happy with that!
snow report
Loads of stuff still at MetroCentre one
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy