Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dahu - a new/strange concept in ski boots....

Poster: A snowHead
A friend just forwarded me the following link for Dahu boots that he had seen in an inflight magazine, which are a very different take on the usual ski boots where you wear a liner like a thinner snowboard boot and clip it into a skeleton frame. Anyone seen these at all? Seem like an interesting concept although I wonder if they'd be stiff enough to ski in, although they look more comfortable:

http://www.dahusports.com/
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitters, been seen before and about $1000+. I like the idea to be able to use them for ski & board but not at that price
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Similar concept at a similar price
http://apexskiboots.com/

If they are indeed can be used for both ski and board and provide good level of performance, support and comfort, 1000 is not too bad. Surefoot ski boots cost as much and provide nothing but pain - both during fitting and skiing.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
and these: http://apexskiboots.com/
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
never summer,
Quote:

Surefoot ski boots cost as much and provide nothing but pain

Is this not surely more of a comment on Surefoot than anything else? My Salomon (race) boots cost significantly less, were almost pain free through the fitting process and are mighty comfortable now.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Surefoot ski boots cost as much and provide nothing but pain - both during fitting and skiing.
bit of a mahoosive generalisation.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Looks like Apex have had a look at their pricing . . . much better and may actually make a bit of sense for me . . . now if only I can persuade them to add a flex release, an NTN front heel and 'Tech' inserts . . . holy grail of boots Toofy Grin

'One boot to ride them all . . . . . . . my precious Twisted Evil '
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Surely the boot will be too tight at the toe for normal daywear. If they are loose enough for that then your foot will be too loose when in ski because the heel moves back.

I don't get it myself
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
glasgowcyclops, a good snowboard boot is as well fitting and supportive as a ski-boot for most purposes, the exo-frame should be more than adequate to make them indistinguishable in feel from a hardboot. Got to say if my old Technica's are DOA out of storage I will go have a look at the APEX.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I reckon pinch and pressure points would be an issue with the reduced surface area.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
saw them at ISPO last year, their stand had a fancy rope across it to stop people going onto it, you could look at a distance, but even though they had a few boots there nobody was allowed to try them on??? strange way to encourage a store to buy their product... or maybe they thought people would just laugh at them
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
They look like your feet would get cold and wet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just looked at some info.

Seems okay. Mind you,,,,,, so are my dalbellos from rivington alpine.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I hope to be testing a pair in January, I'll let you know how they are
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm sure the info is on there somewhere but I can't quite see it, what's the internal foot widths (last) on either of them Puzzled
ski holidays
feef, I'd be interested to know how you get on. In the meantime I might pop to a nearby stockist and take a look.

pam w, not sure why they would anymore than snowboard/decent hiking boots?
snow conditions
They look fabulous and a decent solution to the various problems of ski boots. I seriously hope they are as good as they claim and more manufacturers develop similar products. I'll be first in the queue if it all pans out, I bloody hate traditional ski boots...
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
They look fabulous and a decent solution to the various problems of ski boots. I seriously hope they are as good as they claim and more manufacturers develop similar products

They did, about 10 years ago Salomon, Rossignol etc had these kind of soft ski boots - the only difference is they filled in the gaps of the frame so you didn't get wet feet. I saw them for 1 season then never again. What happened? Salomon Verse and Rossignol Soft (which did exactly what it said on the tin Sad ).
snow conditions
And remember these ultimate in softies?

World Cup slalom ace, Piero Gros came to Cairngorm in about '85 and demo'd them. He could ski them fairly normally - but he was just about the only one. Bad idea #564
snow report
davidof, I wonder what happened? I can't be the only person who hates ski boots. Admittedly I have far better fitting boots now so no numbness or toenail loss, but they are still heavy, clumpy, difficult to get on and off and awkward to walk in, the equivalent of having a plaster cast on each foot.

Maybe we should all literally vote with our feet...? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote:
davidof, I wonder what happened? I can't be the only person who hates ski boots. Admittedly I have far better fitting boots now so no numbness or toenail loss, but they are still heavy, clumpy, difficult to get on and off and awkward to walk in, the equivalent of having a plaster cast on each foot.

Maybe we should all literally vote with our feet...? Toofy Grin

The Salomon Verse looked pretty good. There were quite a few around but really they appeared one season then pfutt.

@Bode How about this?

snow conditions
Hi all,
I've been skiing the dahu boot now for 3 weeks.....it's bloody great!! I was skiing the american boot Apex but came across the Dahu boot via a friend in Cortina, it skis like any standard ski boot, the flex says 120 but that is a bit optamistic I'd say it's nearer a flex 100/110 (compared to my head raptors) I can even drive the car with the inner boot!!
check it out at www.dahusport.com ...no uk dealers but I'm based in italy and they will deliver to the uk I think.
ski holidays
I skied the Apex a couple of weeks ago - terrible heavy, super long BSL, my alignment was totally fubared and my knackered old Heads felt like slippers by comparison. Truly a not great solution. Puzzled
ski holidays
do they really weight 11.5kg?
snow conditions
A friend was after some new boots, dead keen on the Apex's. Told him to go up to 1850 to try them out, so he took a demo pair out for a day - he was back within a couple of hours to buy boots from me. He said he was scared he'd break them as they felt that soft torsionally.
snow report
I wonder if these things are 'the future'... at least for the recreational skier?
I really like the concept and particularly of the Apex which seems to meet the brief (for my ideal boot) a little better than the Dahu - I guess we'll have to wait to find out if they ski as well as their fans say they do.
Whilst there have been similar products before, was there the same 'evolutionary pressure*' (and to a lesser extent the materials) to be able to make them a success?

*By which I mean that there is a comfortable alternative to the ski boot which a fair percentage of slope users wear all day without pain and has been the sole reason that a number of my chums have moved from skiing onto snowboarding...

R
ski holidays
quick up date on the DAHU BOOT, they have a slighty mod. model coming out 2015/2016 called No.7, I swear by these boots now and have them for the Whole family and 4 skiing chums (one of which snobbed them for 2 weeks until i convinced him to try them for 2 hours!!!) I managed to get quite a large discount on the list price.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy