Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice needed - looking for womens All Mountain 1 Ski Quiver

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there, I'd really appreciate your advice on women's 2013/14 All Mountain Skis....

After spending a fortune on rented skis 2-3 times per year, it's high-time I took the plunge and invested in some of my own, but getting a little bogged down with all the advice I've managed to read on here & SkiDiva's so far.

I'd say I'm a 'semi-aggressive' advanced skier (i.e trying to be more aggressive!) - having done 1 season in the alps and getting in a few weeks every season on hols. However the majority of my time has been spent on the piste (happy with blacks), and I'm now keen to start venturing more off piste and take it to the next level, hence looking for an All Mountain ski.

I'm 5ft 2, and about 55kgs.

The ones on my shortlist so far are:

Nordica Hells Belles 162cm
Blizzard Black Pearl 159cm
Blizzard Samba 159cm
Armada TSTw 156cm
Line Soulmate 98 or 90 158cm

From your experience, do any of these skis/brands lends themselves to someone who is quite light, and small? (don't want to sound silly but have read that Volkl Kenjas/Auras, for example are sometimes better suited to heavier frames/taller people).

What I've tried recently...(which may give some indication of my skiing style / likes/ dislikes):

Volkl Kenjas 163 cm 2011
I know alot of people rave about these. Whilst they felt stable and plowed through anything I found them a little too stiff for my liking, and unforgiving when my legs were tired at the end of the day or when my technique dropped in poor conditions/visibility. Perhaps I wasn't skiing them hard enough, or the length was too long for me (maybe should've tried 156cm). But for now, these are on the back burner.

Kastle MX88
Exorbitant prices also knock these off the list - I skied well in these and felt confident and stable at all times but the price tag is just waaaay too high, and I also found them a bit heavy.

I would really appreciate any advice from fellow snow headers! This is my first post, so please be (relatively!) gentle!!

Embarassed Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My other half liked the Dynastar Cham87W skis when she tested a batch at Snow Factor recently. Previously she skied on Scott Realms, but has decided to go for the Chams as they are rockered which should help off piste. They get good reviews and SpyderJon gave her a good deal.

She is quite light for her height and has gone for 172 which is about her height.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Scottish for the recommendation, I'll look into those too.

Don't know much about Dynastar Cham87, but if SpyderJon sells them I'm sure it's for a good reason! (Bought some white dots for my other half from SpyderJon last year and he knows his stuff ) Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
My daughter gets on well with her Blizzards, they're piste skis though. She's a light advanced skier but went for 153cm as they are quite stiff. Ellis Brigham have the Black Pearls so you'd probably be able to test them at Milton Keynes or Tamworth (have they shops near other snowdomes?). In fact they have last years in their sale in 152cm. My daughter tested hers at MK before I bought them and she loved them straight away.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think the Blizzard Sambas may be quite solid skis as well, they are the female equivalent of the Bonafide and reviews I have read of both skis seem to suggest they are not exactly light or playful so they might not be the best. Agree with Dynastar, they always seem to get a lot of love from lighter skiers. Have you thought of the new Rossi ones, Savoury 7 or Star 7 whatever the female versions are called, I think they would be quite good for lighter skiers as well. The Black Pearls are reasonable narrow which might be good if you are wanting a 1 ski quiver but if you will still have carvers I would go fatter.

Sorry not actually skied any of the skis you mentioned. What are you skiing now, do you like them, are you keeping them? Do you have the chance to demo more?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
And thanks to Lynseyf and Claude for your comments too.

@Lynseyf - in response to your question, this will be my first pair of skis as I've always rented them

Looking closer at the BPs they are indeed pretty narrow underfoot at 88mm and I could do with something fatter if it's to be really versatile on the mountain.
Also had a good look at the Dynastars and they seem to have some great reviews (to the surprise of the skiers) but gosh, they are really, really pink! (... not that looks should matter but...)

Am going to French alps this Sunday for a week and will be renting all week so I have a chance to trial a few and either strike a deal on resort if the price is right or wait till I get back to the UK - I was hoping to rule a few of them out as with only 6 days skiing I won't have enough time to reliably demo them all.

The Rossignol Saffron 7's are looking quite appealing at 98mm underfoot ...Savory are 106mm underfoot and (according to what I've read) 80% powder / 20% piste which probably too off-piste for me, at this stage.

I know there's no substitute for just getting out and there and trying what works for me...but a few pointers are always helpful
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
nazza24, I haven't skied Scott skis but have had lighter weight clients who've enjoyed Scott womens all mountain skis in the past - maybe have a look at the Layla (which is the wider model) or the Luna?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have just been testing and can speak highly of the Dynastar Cham 87w and 97w. Tried both, though only on piste. Terrible colour (the 87W) and graphics are far from inspiring on either. However I thought they probably suit lighter weight skiers (and I count myself more or less in that category). If you want something wider-The latter were really easy to ski, despite the wider width, and turned incredibly well on piste.
I would also look at the Movement Blink. Very light. 94mm under foot. I enjoyed them hugely when I tested in the Snowdome.
If you're looking at the Armada TSTW I would suggested you definitely put the Rossi Savoury 7s on the list. Of the 2, when I tested, the Rossi's won hands down. Very easy to ski.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nazza24 wrote:
Hi there, I'd really appreciate your advice on women's 2013/14 All Mountain Skis....

After spending a fortune on rented skis 2-3 times per year, it's high-time I took the plunge and invested in some of my own, but getting a little bogged down with all the advice I've managed to read on here & SkiDiva's so far.

I'd say I'm a 'semi-aggressive' advanced skier (i.e trying to be more aggressive!) - having done 1 season in the alps and getting in a few weeks every season on hols. However the majority of my time has been spent on the piste (happy with blacks), and I'm now keen to start venturing more off piste and take it to the next level, hence looking for an All Mountain ski.

I'm 5ft 2, and about 55kgs.

The ones on my shortlist so far are:

Blizzard Black Pearl 159cm
Blizzard Samba 159cm

What I've tried recently...(which may give some indication of my skiing style / likes/ dislikes):

Volkl Kenjas 163 cm 2011
I know alot of people rave about these. Whilst they felt stable and plowed through anything I found them a little too stiff for my liking, and unforgiving when my legs were tired at the end of the day or when my technique dropped in poor conditions/visibility. Perhaps I wasn't skiing them hard enough, or the length was too long for me (maybe should've tried 156cm). But for now, these are on the back burner.

Kastle MX88
Exorbitant prices also knock these off the list - I skied well in these and felt confident and stable at all times but the price tag is just waaaay too high, and I also found them a bit heavy.

I would really appreciate any advice from fellow snow headers! This is my first post, so please be (relatively!) gentle!!

Embarassed Laughing

AFAIK the Black pearl is very similar to the Kenjas but a little more forgiving and the Samba will be similar to the Aura ( I think the story is the Volkl designer of the Gotama, Mantra, Aura, Kenja etc defected to Blizzard and is responsible for the Cochise, Bonafide, Black Pearl etc etc - but bear in mind its just something you read on the internet so YMMV. Anyway, the dims are very close)

So the Black Pearl may be quite close to the Kenja and if you found those tiring in 163 you may find the samba a little much at 98mm edge to edge for the piste as your 1st ski. (BTW I think Spyderjon has just got the bloke's version of the Black Pearl, the Brahma as a hard snow ski and without being rude, I don't think he is 55 kg so you may well have a fair bit more float.

My Mrs has really enjoyed the Scott Luna for the last season and is similar height/weight to you - in last season's excellent fresh snow she could have done with a little more float - maybe the Layla. But the Luna was very forgiving on piste ( and she was returning from a calf injury early in the season as well). The Luna is 84mm and Layla 92 mm underfoot and I think they come in 158/156 isn.

I have just bought the Rossi Saffron 7 for my wife to add to her "quiver" and it looks great , but I think a little daunting as a hard snow only ski - the rocker is very pronounced and if you look closely there is the "air tip" that supposedly is what all the magic is about. I think they are going to be great off piste, and fine on piste later in the season, but hard, flatter snow is going to be a bit nervy !

If I were you I'd be looking to demo a short list:
Blizzard Black Pearl or Kenja or Line soulmate in 156/8 - more to see the length compared to your prior experience on the Kenjas
Rosi Saffron 7 in 162 ( there is a lot rocker so that isn't too long)
Scott Layla
Blizzard Samba or Volkl Aura

This is quite a good site to compare actual specifications and also to compare what you have actually skied against what an average is saying (i.e. look at what the say about a ski you know and use that comment as your relative benchmark to other skis) : http://www.skinet.com/ski/gear/skis?gender=Female&sort-by=2&

Remember to tell us what you thought!

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 2-12-13 16:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have Aura in 163 (older non-rockered version). I am 168 and 53 kilos. It's a fairly stiff ski and if I was in the market to get a new rockered version I would go for the same length. You shouldn't go longer than 156. Great ski both on and off-piste, but it's a charger and not the most forgiving so good form is required. It can well be a one ski-quiver but for powder you want something less stiff and more playful. I expect Kenja to be very similar as construction is the same, only a bit faster edge to edge due to slightly more generous sidecut. If you struggled with Kenja you might find Aura difficult to handle too, but do try both Kenja and Aura in shorter length, it can make a world of difference to you. I have also BP, it has a completely different feel to Auras and not just because it's more narrow. Basically, when it comes to a do-it-all ski it's all about compromises and there will be conditions when it won't exactly shine so you will need to be able to put up with it and make up for it by adapting your skiing.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ok... so a huge thanks again for all your advice, I really am very grateful.

I think I'm getting there with the demo list and feel I have a few options to play with if some of the models aren't available...

@mishmash - i think that's a fairly sound selection you've come up with which should give me a good feel for narrower vs. fatter and differences in flex and forgiveness.

I need to try the kenja again/black pearls at 156/8cm - actually want to try them both as the BP might just offer that little bit of forgiveness that I couldn't find in the kenjas before and it would be interesting to try one after the other. It's not like I disliked the kenja's - appreciated how they ploughed through everything but they did slap me about a bit (and sometimes rode me instead of the other way around!)

Will do some more digging on the Rossi Saffron 7s though - as you mention not as stable on hard pack which concerns me a little as I tend to ski in the first opening week of the season with hard conditions (and get another trip or two spring time). Will look out for some Scotts models or Movement Blink as Perty mentions, have heard some good things about those too. And if I can get over the hideous pink, demo the Dynastars.

@never summer Yep I hear you with the compromise, and will have to work with the ski to get the most out of it under all conditions. When you're looking at reviews it's easy to get bogged down with the detail or slight negative comment and discount them so it's good to take a step back and remember you have to adapt too!

I'm looking forward to demo'ing and I'll keep you all posted on how I get on!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy