Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving from Chamonix to Arabba. Routes?

Poster: A snowHead
I'll be driving from Chamonix (where I am picking up Raven) to Arabba for the Birthday Bash, at the beginning of February. Have been looking at routes. Most obvious is through the tunnel, then Italian motorways past Milan. However, another option is over to Martigny (yes, I know the Col de Montets could be closed, which would rule it out) then Swiss motorways, past Zurich, into Austria then south from Innsbruck. The Swiss route would take a bit longer but not much, and would be cheaper. I will already have a Swiss motorway vignette. The Austrian vignette and charge for the Brenner autobahn would be less than the Mont Blanc tunnel and no other tolls. But there might be other pros and cons of those routes which are not obvious from just looking at Via Michelin and Google Maps.

Any comments? It's a long way, either way.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It's almost no contest, having driven across Switzerland and Austria in winter - Tae the tunnel and the Italian motorways - one is an easy drive and the other is just a royal pain in the back bottom (especially Switzerland) - one cafe stop and the price difference is a mute point.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Idris, thanks. Why is Switzerland such a pain?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, Google maps puts the route via Zurich etc.. at an extra 90mins and around 135km longer. Swiss route may be prettier (doubtful) but even with the cost of the Mont Blanc Tunnel I'd still be taking the Italian way. Wish I was going to the Birthday Bash (any Bash actually).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you do go the Swiss/Austrian way, then there's the normal vignette (about €8 ), plus about €8 or €10 each for the Arlberg Tunnel and Brenner Pass. Italian Autostrada is about €2-3 iirc. My advice from Brenner is to take the road to Brunico, then via Corvara. That way there's only one mountain pass to worry about at the end of the trip, whereas via Selva there'll be 2.

Don't know what the tolls are like on the Italian autostrada via Milan. Never been that way. The road from Ora/Auer via Predazzo and Moena up to Campitello and Canazei is fine. Never taken the pass from Canazei to Arabba, but I guess they do their best to keep them open. It looks rather wiggly. Worst case is, don't arrive too late, dump the car, pop on some skis, and it's only really 1 ski run down in to arraba.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Don't know what the tolls are like on the Italian autostrada via Milan. Never been that way.

If you plug the details into the route finder on viamichelin.com then it tells you exactly what the tolls are. When I checked out the price last year if you already have a Swiss vignette it is cheaper to go that way: if you haven't then one (return) journey costs about the same as a vignette.

Never taken the pass from Canazei to Arabba, but I guess they do their best to keep them open.

I seen that road closed so often in late January that I wouldn't be thinking about going that way if there was snow in the last two days or forecast for the day of travelling. There is a good reason Arabba is a small village: it tends to be difficult to get to some of the time.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pam w wrote:
Idris, thanks. Why is Switzerland such a pain?

Switzerland is full of speed cameras, more importantly it's full of swiss who love to slow people down by doing 90-100kph in the fast lane (speed limit 120kph)
If the weather is snowy they salt the road 3 abreast so you can't overtake them even if conditions allow, you can end up travelling for a 100km at 45kph!

They haven't updated the motorway network capacity in a very long time - it's adequate out side of busy times, otherwise it's jammed - the swiss answer is you are supposed to take the train - you can of course get form anywhere to anywhere in switzerland by public transport so there is no reason to own a car so why accommodate them!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all these comments. Very useful - and interesting. I enjoy planning journeys! But the Italian tolls, along with the tunnel, are not to be sniffed at. €99 from Chamonix to Verona, according to viamichelin.com
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and the equivalent cost of tunnels/tolls, fuel and time by going the other way?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
halfhand, haven't done a straight comparison but I have a Swiss Vignette and the Austria section is about €16. There is a fuel penalty (though maybe not if you have to do too much at 30 mph!! Laughing) The time difference might be reduced by the time it can take to get through the Montebianco tunnel - I think the websites underestimate that and there are a lot of speed restrictions on the road down into Aosta too.

I'll probably go via Italy. Better coffee, and my Italian, though not brilliant, is better and more recently learnt than my German.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, more ups and downs the Swiss/Austrian way, which will reduce your mpg drastically. More chance of weather-related delays too, I'd have thought.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Actually the Italian autostrada website can tell you the exact toll cost.

Austrian one would be €8.50 for the vignette (10 days validity), €8.50 e/w for the Brenner pass, and €9.00 e/w for the Arlberg tunnel (assuming you're driving back somewhere afterwards?)

Of the Sella Ronda passes, Passo Campolongo is the least wiggly (still lots of hairpins at the northern end), the lowest altitude at the col (I think), and on the sign in Arabba, is one that I've seen open when others have been closed (at night when snowing lots, but I think most were open when I checked at breakfast on leaving day)
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

There is a good reason Arabba is a small village: it tends to be difficult to get to some of the time.

Hmm, three of us are planning on getting by road from Folgarida to Arabba for the Birthday Bash...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

assuming you're driving back somewhere afterwards

I will be driving somewhere, but not yet sure whether it's north over the Brenner and back to the UK, or back to the northern French Alps (Raven is going on elsewhere, so it'll be just me). Anyway, that makes no difference to the plan for the outward journey. The mountain passes sound like they might be tricky if it's snowy - I have snow tyres and chains, and if they won't do, we'll just have to wait!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Pedantica, Google Maps says that's over 3 hours. Much of the route is common with one I'll be taking up from Verona. If it were possible for you to get down to the motorway I might be able to give you a lift?
snow report
pam w, thanks, Pam, but the three of us who are doing this - Iski and bladeskier as well - have fixed up a taxi. Thanks so much for the offer, though.
latest report
If it's dumping, then whomever arrives first can send a text update (might well be me again, since we're only driving in from Innsbruck in the morning). Taxi driver will just hoon over the pass as if nothing was there. My car sits rather low and starts grounding out on the snow, and the tyres really need changing (and hopefully Alastair Pink doesn't read this Wink )
latest report
If you're going through the Mont Blanc tunnel, with someone who's a chamonix season pass holder, get them to buy the ticket first. Its about 70% cheaper with a season pass.
They can't just rock up to the tunnel to get it tho, they have to go to the Montenevers office first.
latest report
i'd make sure I had blankets and food in the car for that journey in feb Shocked (something i dont think i ever do!!)
ski holidays
Doing your homework already I see Pam wink Sadly, I'm not a Chamonix season pass holder so no discount for Mont Blanc tunnel. Just so you know I don't have any experience fitting chains though. How hard could it be .....
latest report
Quote:

i'd make sure I had blankets and food in the car for that journey in feb

Don't worry, I will be prepared. I generally always have some essential supplies in the car, including jump leads, chocolate, warm clothes etc and keep the tank topped up so I can run the heater all night if necessary. In 11 winters I've not had to do that yet but it's surprising how fast the chocolate gets eaten.

Raven, don't worry about chains - I can do those. I have a carnet for the Fréjus Tunnel but not the MB tunnel.
ski holidays
I thought I was paying for the whole MB tunnel toll? Might buy some Italian coffees for you on the way too. Little Angel
latest report
Raven, grazie mille.... snowHead
snow report
pam w, "it's surprising how fast the chocolate gets eaten" Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy