Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Can you test my webcam please UPDATE

Poster: A snowHead
Prior to going out to Serre Chevalier for the season I have been fiddling with setting up a webcam here in the UK that I will be taking out with me, and hopefully Orange Live Box allowing will be able to replicate the configuration out there!

The Cam is an external wireless IP cam, and has not been the easiest of setups with it continually dropping the wifi, but hopefully now have it sorted, so would like some of you to try and break it Puzzled

The frame rate will depend on the number of users but what you are viewing here is a scaled down version of the Cam interface that seriously sucks bandwidth.

I know in Firefox you get some flickering but other browsers I've tested are ok.

When it's just me viewing it refreshes every other second, but I think as the number of users increases so the frame rate will slow down, not a major issue as it will be more of a scenic / snow cover cam.

If you missed the link above HERE IS THE LINK

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 16-12-13 9:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Works OK for me. Getting about 1 frame every five seconds. Viewing it on Safari on a Mac.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Working fine for me Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
was on firefox - didnt notice flickering
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks good, tide's come in a bit in Serre Chevalier eh? One frame every 4-5 seconds, but I have slow broadband anyway.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Safari - Bout 1 1/2 fps for me.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam, Firefox is ok here and using 4gLte for hotspot also ok on Android Dolphin (Samsung Note3) refresh is about 2sec.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
looks pretty good quality on Chrome and Win8
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rather dim foreground: presumably due to bright light under clouds in the distance.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm viewing on iPad, works fine. As mentioned above, 1 frame per 5 secs or so
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
refreshes on average between 2 and 5 seconds (according to clock in top left corner). Image ok
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Weathercam, a gradated ND filter might be a thought to play with . . . Confused
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the response - think I should have also mentioned it's infra red as well, so if you've been on the "red" and you look at it whilst dark you could be fooled into thinking it was snow on the ground you're looking at Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Safari on a mac and it's OK presumably Black and white now because of the infra red and nightfall? Refreshes every 3 seconds.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Works fine using Firefox on my PC. Refreshes every 2-5 seconds.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 30-11-13 18:17; edited 1 time in total
latest report
My only complaints are; no snow and it's a bit flat. Toofy Grin
snowHead
snow report
"...My only complaints are; no snow and it's a bit flat...."

And -- what are those cars doing on the piste !! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Works fine on my iPad, updates very 2-3 seconds
ski holidays
Working fine for me on Firefox.....currently refreshing about every 2 seconds. Be sure to give us all a shout when you hit the snow wink
snow report
Yup, Chromg on OSX looks fine. Only thing I noticed is that click to zoom only zooms in on the top left corner, and the rest of the image is cropped, until the point you only have the date/time visible.
snow conditions
Weathercam, Any chance of an idiot's guide, or link to, how to set one up as would like to do the same at our place but have 0 tech skills? Pretty please...
ski holidays
Ah I used to live a few hundred yards from there in Worthing! Webcam working fine.
ski holidays
seems to work very well at about 1fps here. I see what you mean about firefox though, odd isn't it. At each new frame there seems to be a little hop upwards of the whole image just as it displays. It doesn't seem to happen on IE or on Chrome.
latest report
Opera seeems happy with it too.
snow report
Works good for me, iPad with Safari and useless slow Middle East Internet speed Laughing

A new frame every few seconds.
ski holidays
Firefox on Macbook running Maveric and working ok, about 1 frame every 2 secs. Colours look a bit out on my calibrated screen, grass a bit too green for this time of year and the sky has a slight purple tinge to it.
snow conditions
gvj, the camera is a FOSCAM F19805W IP Wireless cam, see www.foscam.us if you have zero tech skills you might have major problems, that said there are many tutorial vids on YouTube and a very good forum on the Foscam site. Foscam sales support is brilliant, but tech support is lacking.

My advice would be if at all possible to go for a wired solution, that is don't rely on WIFI, only you know how far your router is from your potential camera location and would it be feasible to get power and an ethernet cable to it, if that's not an issue then will be much easier.

Then what is it you want to do with the camera use it as a security CCTV product?

Foscam have a very good app and software where you can set motion detection control and alarms up and then view the cam over your phone and desktop - see http://cp7242.myfoscam.org:2420/ and use Snow as username and Head as password this will log you in as a visitor - I think however you can only have three viewers at any one time - if you had full admin rights then you can change various settings from where ever you are.

If you want to set the cam up within a website then that is a wee bit more complex to edit code and the like, but again not too difficult.
snow conditions
Weathercam, thanks, that gives me somewhere to start.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davkt, Grass!! Does the sun ever shine at Weathercam's, It's always dark.
snow report
Well out here now, and having a few issues in that I can see the cam on my own internal network but can't see it out on the Internet, I'm pretty sure it is working for you, so can you take a look before I move it outside to face the pistes etc

You'll note the distinct lack of snow here in Serre Chevalier Crying or Very sad

http://www.stylealtitude.com/serrechevalierweathercam.html

We did a big road trip yesterday from my brothers in the Chartreusse where he has more snow that here at 600ms then on to La Tania and Tignes (all good piste skiing but boiler plate) to drop some gear off for my daughters and then back through Frejus could see Saux D'Oulx not looking not too good, Claivere was open and Montgenevre was ok on the North side and people were out. Will post some pics and more detailed report laters.
latest report
Yep it's working for me. Blimey there isn't much snow is there Shocked . Let's hope you get some snow or it's going to fe a winter of walking and cycling. Remember it is still technically autumn
snow report
Works for me.
latest report
Working @ about .5f/sec . . . very brown view . . . why are you living in a field? Camping for the Winter is tough, good on yer lad we'll have to change yer name to 'Rule5' wink
snow report
Working fine, IE8, Switzerland.

Bright sun top centre makes the mountain detail very dark this time of day, although I'm not sure you can do much about that
snow report
Weathercam, I see you have moved the cam to show a bit more of the pistes. The rocky face you showed earlier was a bit of a shock.
ski holidays
I clicked the link and saw the cam picture. I closed the tab, returned here and clicked the link again but this time there's no pic

IE11 in the UK
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy