Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How often do you wash your ski trousers/jacket?

Poster: A snowHead
Just curious.

I washed my jacket and trousers with Grangers liquid tonight, because after getting all my stuff down from the loft (YAY!), I decided they were minging.

I hate washing them, even with the proper stuff, because I never think they're the same afterwards.

How many weeks do you leave it before washing your gear?

This is the first time they've been washed since new (they were new last year!).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My trousers get washed after each ski week. Jacket usually serves as everyday winter coat at home, so probably twice a year.

I'm guessing that you don't suffer from Betty Swallocks when you ski. Even a week is getting borderline for the trousers.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thornyhill wrote:

I'm guessing that you don't suffer from Betty Swallocks when you ski. Even a week is getting borderline for the trousers.

I'd hope not, being a laydeee!

My trousers were worn four times* (with many undergarments which have been washed each time!), and jacket was probably worn 5 times ..

I just have this terror that it'll never be the same, but I don't want smelly ski gear (never fear, it's pristine now!).

*four holidays

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 1-12-13 0:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
None of my gear has ever suffered from being bunged in the washing machine. Stops being waterproof fairly quickly, but if it is raining you really should be sitting in a pub Smile
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Salopettes after every trip, then proofed with nikwax. *jacket* is a wool Dale of Norway one so I daren't wash it....
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Trousers weekly ish. Jacket never unless something horrific happens to it.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Pre-season both Tech wash and Tech wash thro proof. Maybe mid season or if noticeably grubby or smelly. Or if they begin to lose DWR.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What's everyone's preferred brand of reproofer?

I used grangers wash and reproof recently and wasn't overly impressed....
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Techwash. Goretex supposedly performs better if kept clean. I wash mid-season before going home for the French hols, then at the end. I wouldn't wash trousers after four days wear! Always wear two clean layers (short ones if it's warm) underneath, though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tomb, did you tumble dry after?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I wash my mid and outer layers after 1 to 2 weeks of skiing because, as pam w says above, dirt affects breathability of technical fabrics. Using suitable tech wash and DWR treatment has meant that the waterproofness and breathability has not suffered from the frequent washing.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
tomb, I usually use Nikwax Techwash and reproofer.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am intrigued by this now. I usually just wash with pure soap. What are some good tech wash and DWR treatments I could look into?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My stuff just goes in the washing machine when I get back from a ski trip, same as any other clothing.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wow! I am a tramp compared to you lot.
I hardly ever wash ski jacket - and then only if it was a bit stinky.
Now with Arc'teryx Sidewinder: I rather assumed was self-cleaning (never washed it).
Trousers only cleaned at end of season, if I remember.
Logic I think goes something like this: so many layers underneath, so no dirt from within.
And I fall over so much, the snow cleans the outside.
snow conditions
Jonpim, I only washed my old jacket often because it was white, and boy did it look dirty by the end of the season, and my trousers when the amount of lunch on them became too much to bear. Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
This is the benefit of shells and layers, rather than insulated outers. I've not washed my trousers at all last season and they still are fine. They dry out fully every night, my base layers are washed regularly and I've not seen an issue with them feeling or smelling grubby. My jacket needs a wash, but that's mainly because I've worn it at other times and it's got grubby on the outside, mainly from handling muddy motorcycles at races in Wales

When I do wash, I use dreft. I've still got half a box left, but it seems it's gone all detergent now the same as the rest. I don't see the point in buying expensive branded technical washes which are, in effect, a soap rather than a detergent. Anyone got any other recommendations?
snow conditions
Trousers after 5 or 6 weeks but only if dirty and never wash jackets.

The smell is usually caused by storing wet and allowing mold to develop rather than dirt from you or the environment. Make sure the clothing is thoroughly dry before storing and then store in a cool ventilated place.
ski holidays
I'm with Feef. Never washed any of my stuff, it's all shell so I wear at least a full length thermal top/bottoms. None of my kit is dirty nor does it smell. (apart from my jacket which has some black rubber marks from a sled, and i don't think they'll wash off).
snow report
I've tried Grangers for the first time, I hope it's good. I've tried Nikwax in the past and it was OK.

My stuff isn't shell, and the wrists of my jacket smelt 'orrible!

pam w wrote:
I wouldn't wash trousers after four days wear!

I meant four holidays ie four weeks!

Fortunately there are people more trampy than me, phew.
snow report
HoneyBunny, ....it's 1999, merino is new in the UK....we're in the garage talkng bikes, waiting for the snow....

Anthony
'...this new icebreaker is great....'

Me
'yeh, with synthetics....you usually honk after a couple of days, you stinker...'

Ant
'....I've been checking this out to see how long it is before I start stinking....'

Me
'...so how long have been wearing that top...?'

Ant
'...just over two weeks...'

Me
'...really!!?...'

Ant
'...yep...and although it's got a bit crunchy in the armpits, it doesn't smell....'

Me
'...(Gag)...!!!!!+++***.....'

I use a LOT of gear. Re-treating DWR is never as good as the original, unless I've been missing something. I've used everything, spray, wash, rub-in - nikwak, graingers, etc etc

So...outers never get washed, they just get rinsed with a shower head to get the grime off when it will still wash off. I use the 'wash thermals and mid layers frequently, outers seldom; model. By seldom, some of my outers are five years old and never been washed. I have loads of outers rather than one which I run into the ground, and by running loads each individual one lasts much longer in terms of DWR.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 30-11-13 14:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I wash my ski pants and jacket after every week of use - usually 4 a year. The salt rings that form on my jacket and ski pants make this a must! I have not treated my TNF jacket ever in over ten years of use. I get so wet from sweat that this negates any need for waterproofing!
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:

Logic I think goes something like this: so many layers underneath, so no dirt from within.
And I fall over so much, the snow cleans the outside.

Like the way you're thinking Toofy Grin

Austrian apres is the only fly in the ointment - all those fags
latest report
under a new name, yes I did, but only on a very low temp....

I also used the combo wash/reproof. Next time I think I should buy the reproof spray so that I can better target areas of high wear.

What's everyone's thoughts on spray versus wash-in reproof??

Also is it good practice to wash a goretex jacket with a set of eVent trousers?
snow report
I'm in the "I believe the manufacturers when they tell me that keeping dirt out of the pores of my microporus stuff is a good idea" camp, although I've not conducted any scientific tests of the theory. Translation: I wash my stuff every three weeks or so, using the right stuff. That way you can retain the surface water hydrophobic thing and I believe that the breathability business still works. Plus I don't want to be smelly.

Never trued the spray-on stuff, as I'm washing my gear anyway..

tomb wrote:
Also is it good practice to wash a goretex jacket with a set of eVent trousers?

I doubt they are aware of each other's presence...
ski holidays
philwig, i'm obviously aware that they wont be aware of each others presence.... Confused I was referring to the wash process of the 2 fabrics, are they both washed at the same temp? Dried at the same temp, etc??
snow report
I looked around for another soap to try besides the nikwax tech wash types.

The only liquid natural soap I found was a uk product where I was told the other stergene and gentle wool type products are still just detergent ...whatever it was enough to try it ?
As detergents and anionic surfectants cause wetting out unless rinsed away.

DRIPAK liquid soap flakes in the bigger Tesco £2.40-3.00 @750ml is claimed to be uk,s only natural soap its the only one I could find in liquid .It may be in waitrose but not all Tesco have it as I tried about three which is something to do with store size ?.

Having a lot of button/poma marks with the dwr wearing off on the butt of my pants I needed to wash more pairs than usual plus I now use this for all the merino and synthetic layers.
I mailed them to ask about destroying the dwr coating on ski gear using the product and the response seemed techy positive so those little nikwax tech wash bottles are out.

Still use nikwax spray though as it seems to be the favoured product vs grangers.
It would,nt surprise me if another comes on the market soon and I noticed the jack wolfskin store was selling its version.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 30-11-13 18:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Pretty much only when water stops beading properly. AFAIK only eVent and NeoShell really require regular washing. Base and mid layers obviously get washed much more regularly.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fabsil gold for reproofing, water off a ducks back.

Paint on with a brush though, much better coverage for your money.
snow conditions
Fabsil gold for reproofing, water off a ducks back.
latest report
Wash all my 'outers in lukewarm water with no soap . . . just gets rid of any obvious dirt and any sweat salt that might have worked through my layers. They don't whiff at all and don't lose waterproofing.
ski holidays
CAPTA1N P, does that stuff not interfere with breathability?
snow report
I come home from a trip and wash the gear, I then dry it well, and put it away. However I am ski ing so long that I realise ski gear is like everything, you may mind it but it will look out dated in no time and yahoos like on here will say oh look they are wearing....... . So we have spyder gear and I love it, it does what we want it to do, wash, dry , and store. That is the thing. Base layers get washed a lot.
ski holidays
queen bodecia wrote:
My stuff just goes in the washing machine when I get back from a ski trip, same as any other clothing.

Same here!
snow report
Dr Rock wrote:
Salopettes after every trip, then proofed with nikwax. *jacket* is a wool Dale of Norway one so I daren't wash it....

I've got two Dale jumpers and the one from 2005 gets washed all the time.It won't be a problem when washing with a wool fabric solution.
snow conditions
Dont wash any outer gear after being abroad but after boarding in the countryside here theres often massive muddy (hope its mud) marks on the trousers so Ill stick them in the machine but just with the usual powder
latest report
Be very careful with tumble drying, folks - my bright yellow and black Columbia jacket turned into Goose-Crap Green and Black after a wash and reproofing and an unregulated tumble dry... But still with yellow zips.
Some sHs who met me in Les Arcs 2005 reckoned I was a closet boarder it was so dull and gothic. Ideal for grouse shooting!!!

I'd let any ski gear you wash/re-treat dry naturally.

Frequency of washing - jacket only when cuffs and neck get noticeably grotty. Salopettes - after a trip.
snow report
Dubaian, If you use NikWax, etc. you have to tumble dry to activate the protection.
snow conditions
Looks like everyones on the same page with this.... NOT!

If the pores get blocked then clearly your garment will no longer function well so you should be able to tell. At that point it would make sense to wash as per the manufacturers instructions... which is usually in some reproofing wash stuff.

I'm in the wash as little as possible camp. I don't roll around in the dirt or go apres in my gear so I guess that helps.
ski holidays
I only ever wash outerwear after doing a week in Austria, the apres is messy, very messy!

When I do this is what I do;

Clean washing machine by running a water only cycle. I normally throw in some jeans so not to waste water - strictly no detergent.
I use Nikwax Techwash which is good for Gore Tex and non gore tex garments
Then I allow to dry naturally until its almost dry but not quite
Low heat cycle in tumble drier normally for about 15 - 20 mins

Works a treat, unless you went to Fire & Ice and your pants got f***ed. Still can't explain how so need new pants!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy