Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach/Hinterglemm Official Unofficial 2013/2014 Thread - It's Snowtime

Poster: A snowHead
Love that loo with the view at the Alte Schmiede! We always waved at the guys in there to make them wave back - one day we got a guy to wave with both hands Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thank you Saalbach, Hinterglemm and Leogang, a great week's skiing. Browner than I have ever seen, but a fantastic week and as many km clocked as last year
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm hoping that some of the brown will be rectified in the next few days for as Kezzer said, there is some quite heavy snowfall forecast for Tomorrow and Monday. It looks like they really need it with only 10cm at the bottom, 40cm at the top and some serious almost green patches on the Saalbach nursery slope! Smile
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi fellow SnowHeads...recently returned from Saalbach / Hinterglemm and below is a short report...
Happy to answer questions if required...

Flew out of Gatwick with EasyJet early (07:15) on Saturday the 8th of March. Group of 10 of us - two others met up with us in Saalbach. Mixed ability group ranging from absolute beginner (who did ski school) to very experienced.
Transfers arranged with Holiday-Shuttle. Very painless and relatively quick to get to the resort. Dramatic difference noticed on the way from Salzburg to Saalbach in terms of the amount of snow from 2011 (we went to Zell am See end of Feb 2011) – gave me some concerns which turned out was appropriate.
Most of us stayed in Hotel Peter - highly recommended as it is very close to both the Bernkogel and the Kohlmais lifts and slopes. Food is good as well and the hotel staff is friendly.
Ski Hire booked at Intersport Bauer as it was very close to the hotel and you can pre-book the type of ski you want. Did not go to Hansi's (contrary to Tatman’s recommendation) as it was a substantially longer walk and retrospectively it might have been better to go to Hansi’s as I changed my boots three times due to issues with the fitting. No issues with the people at Intersport though and the ski's were very good.

Positives:
Lovely village and good atmosphere - people are friendly
Good variety of bars (Otzi, Underbar, Taverna) and the Apres ski is absolutely brilliant (Hinterhagalm, Bauers, Eva Alm) - GoaSStahl in Hinterglemm probably the cherry on the cake - we had a huge night there on the Thursday night.
Great mountain restaurants
Not expensive – large beers for around Euro 4.20 is about the norm with a lunch at under Euro 10 at really nice restaurant
Some really great slopes (1, 14, 6, 13, 46 springs to mind) and the lift infrastructure is very good - we hardly had any queues at all.
The layout of the valley, lifts and pistes is great and it enables skiers of different levels to meet up on the mountain for joint lunches and then again at the après ski bars as there normally are different routes / pistes to the same spots.
Good ski schools and instruction – everyone in our group who either had ski school or took some private lessons to touch up their skills were very happy
Slopes are not crowded..
Toboggan run and the night at the Spielberghaus was great fun!

Negative(s)
This needs to be taken with a pinch of salt as I think we we’re just unlucky with the snow this year round, but I would not book a trip in March again. The snowfall this year was particularly poor (according to the locals worst snowfall for 7 years) so maybe a bit unfair, but the Southern side (Bernkogel / Kohlmais side) was only skiable (or let’s rather say any fun skiing) until around 10:30 / max 11:00 in the morning. After this due to the very hot temps we had (think one day at lunch it was 17 deg C) it is like skiing on slush puppy. Thus, it severely limited us doing any of the circuit skiing, which is one of the main attractions of the resort. After day two we just walked straight down to Schattberg and stuck to the Northern side from the start, did some serious km’s in the morning, then took a late lunch, did a couple of very relaxed runs in the afternoon whilst doing a bit of “pitstopping” for après ski and kicked off early on the Apres ski. As I say, maybe a bit unfair to put it as a negative against the resort, but it is lowish in terms of altitude and if the temps goes up and the snow conditions aren’t great ands specifically the southern side does suffer. Northern side is perfectly fine till around 14:00…

The T-bar at the top section of the Bernkogel lift REALLY needs replacement. I’ve noted that it is in the pipeline, but seems it is not going to happen next season.

The wife’s ski’s got nicked / accidentally taken at the bottom of the Reiterkogel Gondola when we got out of the Goasstahl on the Thursday night. No problems to get these replaced by Intersport as we took out insurance (recommend this!!) but not a good thing and it apparently happens quite a lot.

Will I / we go back? Definitely, but in Feb – not in March..or rather put it this way, I will not book a year in advance if I’m going in March as it is a bit iffy with regards to snow. If the snow conditions are great and the forecast for the next two / three weeks are looking reasonable and there is a good deal to be had – yes, I’ll go in March and it will probably be spectacular, but if I’m planning a year in advance – as we tend to do (some of my friends are coming over from South Africa), I’ll recommend Jan or Feb rather than March.

Special thanks to Tatman for the guide you sent me – used it quite a lot during the week. Really really helpful! Apologies I did not get in touch whilst we were there but it was a bit manic!

Christmas a couple of days skiing in Kirchberg / Kitzbuhel with the wife and parents-in-law and next year probably either Solden or Ischgl in Feb…any thoughts on choice between these two resorts?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Woolies, Thanks for that interesting report. I can honestly say that, based on our experience over the last 10 years, you saw Saalbach-Hinterglemm at its most snow-deprived, and if you had an enjoyable holiday nevertheless, then credit must go to the lift company for its piste maintenance and its heavy investment in snow-making technology. Saalbach has actually been better off for snow than many resorts in the area, owing to its relatively high altitude, all 55 lifts and most of the pistes having been operational for most of the season.

There's always a yin and yang to March skiing. Sunny, warm weather has obvious benefits, but the price you have to pay is getting started early (which frankly doesn't suit me or Frau TT - keen après-après-skiers that we are - at all!) and giving a lot more thought to the orientation of slopes and planning of itineraries, as those pistes that receive the full glare of the sun during the morning are bound to be mushy by lunchtime, if not sooner, and the temperatures this season have been consistently warmer than usual - in fact I've heard locals commenting that this year we haven't really had a winter! Paradoxically, we are apparently due tomorrow to receive a heavy dump of snow, with temperatures dropping to below zero at village level and remaining lower than hitherto until at least mid-week.

Despite the persistent warm weather, I haven't heard anyone say that it's spoilt their holiday or that they wouldn't come again. In fact people I've been talking to in the last day or two, including our current guests, have been enthusing, not only about the early morning piste conditions (even piste 2b to Jausern and the Kohlmais slopes) and the good snow to be found for most of the day on the north-facing side (particularly numbers 1 and 14), but also about the relatively quiet, uncrowded slopes and the extended lunches and sun-bathing sessions at the likes of the Bergeralm (which, despite its sunny location, is apparently sufficiently well thought of to be worth the slushy run down).

Regarding the theft of skis, there are certain, road-side locations (Hinterhagalm, Bauers Schialm, and, yes, the bottom station of the cable-cars), where I wouldn't leave anything valuable without first locking it up.

Fully agree with you about the Bernkogel 2 T-bar - a pity it's apparently been shunted down the order of priorities, in favour of a new gondola at Leogang, the upgrading of the Poltenlift, and possibly even the much talked-about connection with Zell am See.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Woolies wrote:
Hi fellow SnowHeads...recently returned from Saalbach / Hinterglemm and below is a short report...

Just back from Hinterglemm last week and had a similar experience to Woolies. We were a mixed group of 8, staying in various hotels and with quite different levels of experience and skiing competency (some rusty, some very good, some mainly there for the apres ski/spa treatments). My review is pretty similar to Woolies so probably won't add too much.

In terms of a resort it was great. We stayed in the Zwolfer Hotel which was really friendly, huge rooms for the price, right next to a lift, couldn't fault it really. Food and drink seemed reasonably priced in most restaurants/bars, ski hire and lift passes maybe slightly pricier than other resorts but not by too much, lively atmosphere if that is your thing but we didn't come across anyone excessively rowdy on the slopes or in the bars.

The snow on the other hand; there was enough of it but only just. By the end of the trip it did make it very tough going pretty much from 11am onwards, especially for the beginners. To be fair we were out on the lift by 8.30am most days and it was fine first thing and by the end of the trip I was starting to enjoy slush moguls, but you could really tell that the resort was suffering from a lack of snow. 20 degree temperatures are nice, but we were only out until last lifts on one day.

The Northern facing slopes were ok for the mostpart, Zwolfer just about held up until the last day (some large mud patches on 17 by the end of the week), 12/13 were fun first thing, 15 was nice and not busy at all, I didn't do 14 but someone else in our group said it was fine.

The North facing part of Schattberg was great as well. 1 was a brilliant tree lined run and generally firm apart from the moguls at the very top, 2b was just about passable to the bottom and then 6 was a nice, long and varied run back to Hinterglemm, although with some sketchy bits towards the bottom by the end of the week.

We did have one colder day when the snow was great around the Asitz area. Runs 81-87 were great, short red runs for practising on. Didn't quite make it to Leogang.

However the South facing side was another story, got dragged over to the Hochalm/Spieleck/Hasenaeur side one day and it was horrible even from 10.30am. 26 was ok, but apart from that all the slopes got hideously bumpy, some dangerously so. I think it was 32 which we came down part of which basically finished us one day, including the experienced skiers. TBH, I think the resort might have been better off closing some of the South facing runs until things cooled down a bit. Someone in our group had the bright idea to go down 52, a track which really should not have been open, there were sections where the only passably route was a muddy/slushy path about 50cm wide. I enjoyed it in a weird sort of way, but not great for the beginners...or our rental skis.

I wasn't the one who picked the resort/hotel when we booked in January, but I definitely would have given it a 2nd thought if I was choosing; I did warn the others that it looked decidedly brown back in January. The resort does a good job of maintaining and managing the snow, but there is only so much they can do if there are above average temperatures and little snow for most of the winter.

Dump of snow today apparently, although some of the locals were warning that it wouldn't help much because the ground isn't frozen.

p.s. The thing where you can print off your day's skiing with your lift pass is really cool!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This strange season certainly had a twist in its tail! What a transformation! It's been snowing heavily all day yesterday and last night, and it's still dumping this morning. The resort website reports nearly half a meter of new snow, with more falling. The scene outside our window couldn't be more different from a couple of days ago - now an unblemished vista of white with snow-laden trees - a wintry scene more typical of January! I came down the Kohlmais yesterday at about 4.00pm in knee-deep powder. As you might imagine, there were a lot of happy, smiling people in the bars last night, anticipating some fabulous skiing later in the week, when sunny weather but still relatively cold temperatures are forecast.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Woolies and ManiaMuse thank you so much for your trip reports. Hope to explore this area next year.

Tatman I am so envious of your last post, would love to be able to pop over for a few days. Ah well a girl can dream. Enjoy it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Nice fresh powder day up top this morning here in Saalbach , below mid-station fresh over crud which made for interesting skiing back into the valley , clearing up this afternoon so fingers crossed for the morning we get some better visibility as it was pretty flat this morning.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another great day in Saalbach , quiet and the piste's are skiing a good if not better than any other week this season. Still knee deep powder around if you know where to look , forecast is for a steady rise in temperature's from today into next week so make the most of it while it lasts.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Did the anti-clockwise circuit today (Bernkogel, Reiterkogel, Hochalm, Zwoelferkogel, Schattberg, Kohlmais) and for the most part the pistes were excellent - Frau TT commented that the snow coming down the Zwoelferkogel was the best she's ever known it! We were with a snowboarder who spent most of his time looking for untracked, off-piste powder, and he found plenty, mainly on Schattberg but even alongside blue 2b down to Jausern. We came down the Kohlmais at about 4.30pm, after a pit-stop at the Bergeralm (during which there was a snow shower), and pistes 65, 66 and 52 were firm and hard-packed. The only slush we encountered was towards the very bottom of 2b, but the lack of people means that nothing is getting chopped up and mogully. In fact we didn't see a single soul coming down 66 and 52 after the Bergeralm - totally deserted!

I noticed that the snow cannons were in operation on the Kohlmais last night, even on the nursery slope at the bottom, which I found surprising, as they're supposed to be closing the Kohlmais this coming weekend. Piste 52 was technically closed but was actually in great condition, except for the last bit by the Hinterhag Alm, and I've just noticed that the piste bashers are busy working on that.

Coincidentally, one of the nicest weeks last season was the first week of April - new snow, deserted pistes, sunny weather and cool temperatures. Ironic isn't it after the season we've had - most people have gone, and the bars and restaurants are gradually closing for business (e.g. Hinterhag Alm, Castellos, Kuhstall, Wallners), yet the conditions are probably the best of the season - similar to last year. Certainly our worst fears (on behalf of our current guests) for this week could not have been wider of the mark, and it shows that you can never make assumptions about the best/safest time to go skiing.

Incidentally, the Hintermaisalm has rocketed to the top of our list of favourite mountain restaurants (probably equal with the Hecherhuette) - great menu, reasonable prices, friendly staff and beautiful interior and exterior).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Having had 3 separate ski weeks this season (joys of being retired) I wanted to add a bit of reflection. Our first week was in Saalbach/Hinterglemm in January. Snow was really good on piste but the south facing slopes were heavy slush from lunchtime onwards. Virtually no snow off piste but the investment in snow making was really paying dividends in keeping the whole area open.

We went to La Rosiere in Feb. Rather higher (1850m village up to 2500m or thereabouts) but mostly south facing. Loads of snow, but weather was mixed. Some of the lower pisted were slushing up from midday.

Then to La Plagne in March (16-23). Another high resort. Beautiful weather and loads of snow but the south facing slopes were slushy from 10-11am.

So the lesson I think is that Saalbach/Hinterglemm has avoided an awful season because of its snowmaking. Sure it's south facing slopes slushed up, but that was also the case with the higher resorts that we visited. It wasn't an epic year for snow, but we had three great weeks in all 3 areas.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Saalbach season for me is over and done with for me, fantastic final week last week being probably one of the best weeks of the season with fresh snow at the beginning of the week , sunshine from Tuesday and no people , it was almost like mid-December when I arrived. Not a classic season but skied most days I was there and had fun, mountain and road bikes have had there service and are ready for the next trip in about 4 weeks time.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
the south sides of Saalbach Hinterglemm looked closed at lunchtime when I had a peer at the webcams.

Its been a very warm season.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We'll be back for a walking holiday in September. Can't wait ....
snow report
Think all the south facing slopes were closed for the season yesterday with Sunday being the last ski day , think you can still get over to Leogang this week but that's it then until next season on the south side unless you drive around to Leogang. I believe it has been the warmest season on record as I guess quite a few resorts have been.
snow report
Wednesday and Thursday of last week were definitely the best days of the season for me - fantastic piste conditions and virtually nobody on them, so no chopped up, mogully pistes even in late afternoon. Our last day was Saturday, when we did the south-facing side in the morning and the north-facing side in the afternoon (finishing off with the Schattberg North black run at about 4.30pm), and we had 35km of very enjoyable skiing (in tee-shirts during the afternoon). On reflection, I would say that, taking everything into account, this season has been as enjoyable for us as any other, thanks to the snow-making and excellent piste maintenance (and Big Dave, has confirmed what I suspected about other resorts), the only real fly in the ointment having been the closure for most of the season of piste 68 - our favourite.
Roll on the summer season!
latest report
Hello, we are off to Saalbach tomorrow. I was hoping to rent some twin tip skis - something to have a little fun with as I cruise around the runs that are still open. Can anyone recommend the place to hire from?

we were also thinking about one off the all area passes to fit in Kitsteinorn or others as we have a car.

Thanks
snow conditions
Cookiandmilk, Welcome.

Saalbach rentals - Hansi's, Ski Pro or Intersport should all have what you want.

The Ski Alpin card is valid for Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang and for Zell am See-Kaprun (Kitzsteinhorn) and is available at all of the lift stations. Before you buy, check the pricing with them. Saalbach-Hinterglemm are offering a 30% reduction next week due to the limited number of pistes, so it may be more cost-effective to buy a S-H weekly ticket and then a day ticket for Kitzsteinhorn, unless there is a similar reduction in the Ski Alpin card or you think you'll ski more than one day at Kitzsteinhorn. I'm not sure that any other nearby resorts are going to be worth driving to, so I wouldn't buy a Salzburg Superski pass unless you have checked out the webcams or Tourist Info sites.

The only areas open in Saalbach-Hinterglemm are Schattberg, Westgipfel and Zwolferkogel. Snow on all 3 areas is good as they are largely north-facing. Leogang is also open (included in the S-H lift ticket) but access via the Schonleiten gondola (5 km out of town towards Zell am See) is only open until Sunday. From Monday, you'll need to drive around to Leogang, i.e. out of the valley, turn left to Saalfelden, left in Saalfelden to Leogang. It takes about 30 minutes.
snow report
Cookiandmilk, I also recommend Hansi's (assuming he's still open). His shop is next door but one to Bobby's Pub at the bottom end of the main village street. Tell him I recommended him to you and you should get a worthwhile discount. Have a great time!
latest report
Thanks for that guys
snow report
Leaving Saalbach Hinterglemm tomorrow after my last week skiing this season.

In the first weeks of March I was worried about the snow conditions however the massive dump they had around the 25th of March really helped the conditions and despite the fact all the snow had gone again off the south facing slopes, the lifts that were open ( schonliten, azitz, Zwolferkogel, Westgipfel and Schattberg ) we're offering access to some good on piste skiing.

The snow on the piste was very firm/icy in the morning although it only took an hour or 2 to soften up especially on the south/east facing slopes that got the most of the sun in the morning.

Despite the snow turning slushy by around 10/11am the pistes were still ok because of the lack of people. The runs stayed relatively flat all day. In fact most days I skied until around 3pm

For a day I did travel to the kitzsteinhorn as it is included on my season ski Alpen pass. The snow up there was much nicer only softening around 1pm on the lower slopes around the alpine centre and staying fluffy on the top drag lifts all day.

The weather was nice all week staying sunny until today when it was raining for the majority of the morning.

Because of this I didn't ski today, so with the group I'm with we all went up to the Gerstreitalm where we enjoyed live music and a free air display Very Happy

Overall a great week without crowds, although there were more people arriving today with the start of the school holidays but still nothing compared to the high season.

( I would put on some pictures including the one I took of the Polten lift ( as it is to be replaced ) if I knew how to!! )
snow conditions
Saalbachsnowhead, Nice to hear Smile (we left on 30th March). Amazing the difference it makes when it's relatively quiet on the pistes.
latest report
Arriving in Saalbach in December for the season, working for Inghams! (until April) soooo excited!
snow conditions
seasonnaire14, Congratulations! Smile
ski holidays
Hi, just wondering if anyone has stayed at the All Mountain Lodge is Saalbach. I have a good quote from them and they are in a good location right in the centre but i can't find any reviews online.
snow conditions
It looks like you can ski back to the Hotel Die Sonne (in between Saalbach and Hinterglemm)...

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=417263&highlight=sonne#417263

Is this via piste 34a on the Piste Map - http://www.piste-maps.co.uk/Piste-Maps/Austria/Saalbach-Piste-Map-Large.jpg?
snow report
@PeteMan, 34a from below the Sonnalm will take you back to the main road between Saalbach and Hinterglemm. It meets the road opposite the M-Preis supermarket and is about 200m from the Hotel Sonne - there may be a track across to the Sonne on the way down, but I've never skied 34a and don't know anyone who has as it is only useful if you are staying around that area and it is not always open. I don't think it opened at all last season.

If you stay at Hotel Sonne, they have an excellent minibus service that will drop you off in the morning in either Saalbach or Hinterglemm, and you phone them in the afternoon to be collected from wherever you happen to be. Alternatively jump on a free ski bus, which stops right outside the hotel.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I've never skied 34a and don't know anyone who has

I skied it in deep powder once about 9 years ago. From memory it was a nice run - obviously little used as it leads to the middle of nowhere, unless you happen to be staying at the Sonne or the Mikaelalodge or in one of the B&Bs or apartment blocks in that locality.
ski holidays
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Quote:

I've never skied 34a and don't know anyone who has

I skied it in deep powder once about 9 years ago. From memory it was a nice run - obviously little used as it leads to the middle of nowhere, unless you happen to be staying at the Sonne or the Mikaelalodge or in one of the B&Bs or apartment blocks in that locality.

Thanks all. In the end we decided to stay in town so have booked into the Hotel Post.

Pete
snow report
Getting closer to snowtime again!

@Tatman's Tours I have found the perfect ski helmet for Mrs T. She would love this! The price .... not so much:

http://www.snowandrock.com/casco-womens-sp-3-limited---crystal/casco-helmet/ski-snowboard-outdoor-sports/fcp-product/63336?listing=true
ski holidays
@HoneyBunny, Well, there's an idea for a Christmas prezzie!
ski holidays
@Tatman's Tours, after 7 years of skiing in France my family have broken free and decided to give Austria a go this year.....with Saalbach being our destination!!! Have used your great advice on another thread to book our skis with Hansi's. On that thread you mentioned that you have an extensive guide available to email. If I pm'd my email address is it possible to have a copy? Thanks
ski holidays
@spottyboy101, Congratulations on your enlightenment - a world of new experiences is about to unfold! Yes, just send me your e-mail address, either by PM or via my website (below).
latest report
Thanks @Tatman's Tours, email sent Very Happy [/b]
snow report
Hi Just looking at booking Saalbach April2014 5th April, any advice I have skied this late before but only in france and generally above 2000m its good lower obviously becomes indifferent!! I Have seen that Saalbach is a lot lower than the french resorts I'm concerned about the snow!! Should i go to France in stead Les Sybelles where I have skied plenty before!! Never skied In Austria any advice or comments we are on a Budget and all levels from a 1 weeker on skis to a coupe of Advanced piste skiers!! Any advice or comments please
latest report
Austrian ski resorts are typically lower than say French ones, because, being further east, they are governed by a different weather system. The same goes for countries like Slovenia, Bulgaria and Romania. I have heard it said that the French Alps and the Pyrenees suffer from their closer proximity to the Gulf Stream. It is generally accepted that the snow tends to be better in Austria and that you can add 50% to the height of an Austrian resort to find its equivalent in France. At 1,000m Saalbach is up to 300m (1,000 feet) higher than most Austrian resorts, e.g Mayrhofen, Kitzbuhel, Soll, Westendorf, Alpbach, Niederau, Zell am See, to mention just a few. Despite their relatively low altitude, all of these resorts have a thriving winter season.

Although the snow normally lasts until mid-April, the second half of March 2011 became unseasonably warm right across the Alps, worse in France than in Austria since it was an anticyclone over Spain that was causing the trouble. Nonetheless, Saalbach had plenty of snow (as per this 24 March 2011 article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/8403773/Skiing-Where-to-go-for-snow-Saalbach-Davos-and-Vail.html . The pistes leading down to the village were still open by the end of March (when we left), although we had to go high to find good quality snow.

In the 2011/12 and 2012/13 seasons we were in Saalbach until 8th April and 15th April respectively, and the snow conditions held up well, right down to the village, in fact we had useful top-ups of fresh snow right up to the time we (regretfully) bid farewell until the summer. Normally it pays to get out early in the morning, as conditions inevitably become heavy in the afternoons, particularly when it’s warm and sunny. However during the second week of April 2013 we were blessed with cold, sunny weather and were skiing all day on perfect, uncrowded pistes.

Last season wasn't a good one for snow, but apparently they had a cold snap and powder snow on Schattberg at Easter (3rd week of April) - we had left by the end of March.
latest report
You don't need such deep snow in Austria .. as its more like skiing on the back lawn rather than skiing in a quarry,

The cows eat the grass on the mountains (sorry hills) in the summer while the farmer makes a cheese a day.
When the season ends the cows and farmers come down off the mountain and he and his wife eat cheese and make babies.
The cows are then used as central heating.

We come along in the winter months after the snow arrives often not till the end of January, where we go and slither around the mountains and eat the cheese and perhaps make babies too.

As far as The Saalbach/Hinterglem/Leogang area is concerned .. I haven't been there for years, but I once spent a great fortnight in a Jauser Station ... I've just found it on Google Maps, "Schihutte Saalbach Hinterglem" ... there was then a rope lift back up to the piste. But most of the customers came in the evening for tobogganing evenings when they drank too much schnaps ate "schwein haxen" and tobogganed back to the main road, and probably made more babies.

Great times and fond memories.
Leogand is probably one of the best places to learn to snow board as they had a gondola that you could get on halfway up. And terrain was just about right.
snow conditions
Peter999 wrote:
Hi Just looking at booking Saalbach April2014 5th April, any advice I have skied this late before but only in france and generally above 2000m its good lower obviously becomes indifferent!! I Have seen that Saalbach is a lot lower than the french resorts I'm concerned about the snow!! Should i go to France in stead Les Sybelles where I have skied plenty before!! Never skied In Austria any advice or comments we are on a Budget and all levels from a 1 weeker on skis to a coupe of Advanced piste skiers!! Any advice or comments please

I love Salbach, but wouldn't reccomend booking it that far in advance for that time of season, unless you like slushy moguls (which you should!). Nothing to do with altitude though - it just has a lot of south-facing skiing.
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
Peter999 wrote:

I love Salbach, but wouldn't reccomend booking it that far in advance for that time of season, unless you like slushy moguls (which you should!). Nothing to do with altitude though - it just has a lot of south-facing skiing.

If you want Austria go high that late: Obergurgl (though only half the size of ski area as Saalbach and will be more expensive).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy