Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lech, hit me with it straight Snawheids, have I blundered?

Poster: A snowHead
I've just booked Lech with two mates.

From what I've been reading, it is more expensive than other Austrian resorts.

How much is a pint?

We're not talking 3 Valleys prices are we?

Also, does anyone know of reasonably priced ski hire in the area? They all seen to be almost twice the price of Solden last year.

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sean1967, You have not blundered, bars and restaurants are largely 'normal' but ski hire is a right cartel.

Sport 2000 have/had a franchise in the Pfefferkorn hotel - they were the cheapest when I was there (still not cheap, but not as bad as Stolz's €250 per week skihire)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Its a while since I visited from St Anton - but it had heated chairlift seats to keep the bums of the rich and famous warm!! Your fears on cost are confirmed here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/austria/lech/6727110/Ski-Lech-resort-guide.html
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Given St Anton seemed to be the best case for ski ownership I've ever seen, I'm not sure I would really we wanting to rent skis in Lech, Maybe bus to Stuben if you can deal with the hassle.

You probably won't be wanting to go heavy beering in town unless you have white jeans, fur coat and a perma Euro tan. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

We're not talking 3 Valleys prices are we?
nowhere near.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
According to Where to Ski & Snowboard 2013, the average costs there are halfway between Meribel and Courcheval.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A St Anton trip decided us on buying our own boots. Paid for themselves "almost" in the nine days we were there.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fatbob, stuben's the same price, sonnenkompf base station is the place to be for normal priced hire!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You've not blundered at all, unless you are cheap Very Happy

Went last year and loved it. Great skiing and a beautiful town.

Easy enough to spend a few nights drinking in St Anton and bus it back afterwards.

Ski hire - getting out of the somewhat ridiculous pricing is not possible. It is a bitter pill to swallow if my mates last year are anything to go by though. You'd have too much hassle getting skis elsewhere though you would save a few quid.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
This from the Daily Telegraph in 2009

Quote:
While a winter sports holiday has never been cheap, anyone who went skiing in Europe last year would have been shocked by how much it cost. Prices in many top resorts have risen, and when the euro was on a par with the pound, skiers in top resorts such as Courchevel 1850 were paying up to £4 for a Coke, £7 for a beer and twice that for a plate of pasta. I paid £13 for a plate of chips in Lech.

I don't think things are quite so bad these days!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sean1967, I am very jealous...I love Lech, fabulous skiing and a great town, you'll have a fantastic time. Where are you staying?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Seriously do not know where you'd pay €13 for chips in Lech - maybe with a huge burger. Leech IMO is worth every penny. Yeah it's expensive by Austrian standards but in my experience was no more expensive than belle plagne to eat out (did two trips in the same month years back - 1 in bp and the other in Oberlech and prices in hill were about the same but quality of food etc was way better). You've made a great choice, especially with new link to Warth.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It´s still cheaper than going out in London wink

I´d have thought rental would have been cheaper in St Anton but maybe I´m wrong. If it is, it´s an easy bus ride. Or jump on a different bus or train in St Anton and head a couple of villages further downhill, bound to be cheaper then. If you can be bothered with the hassle. If there´s a group of you, club together for a taxi ride to a cheaper sports shop.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Swissie wrote:
sean1967, I am very jealous...I love Lech, fabulous skiing and a great town, you'll have a fantastic time. Where are you staying?

Hotel Alexandra with ski total. 400 each from Gatwick.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sean1967, that sounds fantastic value! Is that half board? Room share?
snow conditions
We went with Ski Total to Chalet Hotel Sonneck - the furthest out of town of the ST chalets - last year for the week before Christmas. Cost us £550 each incl all supplements for bath, balcony etc. VG value in our view.

Unbelievable amounts of snow, expensive in the centre for coffee and drinks - up to Courchevel prices. However stuff in the main supermarket was way below Courchevel cost and you can buy excellent cheap sandwiches, beer etc .

Chalet was spacious , warm , great pool, food got better and better.

The buses get very very crowded and we were there in an off peak week. However the Sonneck is at the end of the line so we always got a seat on the way down.

Off to Soelden with Skiworld in 2 weeks time - 15th Dec and if it is as good as Lech we will be very happy.

Best and cheapest place to eat in central Lech is the Pizza place opposite or just by the Post Office - great pizzas, cheap beer and wine. They do not speak English tho' so I had to resurrect my 'O' level German ( failed ) but they seemed to undderstand.

Am sure you will have a great time. Some of the Zurs pistes are superb and there is a remote or at least it seems remote piste - called Muggengrat Red 10 which ends up at a great albeit expensive hut by the main road - which was one of our favourite runs.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
sean1967, that sounds fantastic value! Is that half board? Room share?

It's actually £437 per person including chalet board. Supposedly 3 of us in a 'spacious' quad room.

Does anyone know of any reasonably priced bars, huts and umbrellas?

Where do the locals and seasonairres do their bevying?

All this Courchevel chat is getting me a bit worried.
ski holidays
sean1967 wrote:
Swissie wrote:

Hotel Alexandra with ski total. 400 each from Gatwick.

Good deal for Lech! The money you've saved on your holiday price will more than cover expensive ski hire and mountain prices for beers. If you are wanting to cut costs of eating and drinking on the mountain take the new set of pistes into Warth/Shrocken. There's a couple of half decent restaurants with big beers at 4/5 Euros, and Austrian salads/meats at 10/12 Euros. (Last season prices, I was there in April with damn good snow) Look for the new link into Warth Auenfeldjet lift. Other than that I really like Lech. Some nice skiing in Zurs especially, quieter. Get yourself to St Christoph/Alpe Rauz for the link into St Anton, or spend some time at Stuben. If the snow is good/fresh there's great skiing on the front face of Stuben under the lifts. AND even better priced beers wines and chips!

Excellent choice IMHO, you just may find that the Arlberg is soooooooooo much better than EK/3V's.
snow report
sean1967, BTW, skied with Ski Total in St Anton two years ago, decent chalet, but the staff were a disappointment. Happy with the rest of the package though.
ski holidays
sean1967, depends on which level of Courchevel your going to, 1850 is very expensive but 1650 (now called Moriond) is more reasonable.

I've just seen what prices the TO's are charging for Ski Hire in Lech, it starts at nearly £100 just for basic skis!! Shocked
snow report
RichardB wrote:

I've just seen what prices the TO's are charging for Ski Hire in Lech, it starts at nearly £100 just for basic skis!! Shocked

That is the problem with the Arlberg, Very Expensive ski hire. Sean would be better buying some skis off ebay that are a couple of seasons old, paying the ski carriage, use them for the week, then re-sell them on ebay as close to the original cost as possible. Some half decent skis on ebay not getting the prices they should, too much choice!
latest report
skimastaaah, definitely agree with that suggestion. skiset and intersport do not have any franchises in Lech, hence no real competition on hire. we used the Pfefferkorns shop (10% less online) which was decent quality but not cheap
latest report
On ski hire I got a good deal for St Anton by booking through AlpinResorts definitely worth a try - if I hae spelt right that should create an auto clicky thing and give a discount code. SnowBrainer is also worth a try both have emailed me discount codes if auto clicky thing my doesn't work.
snow report
Super place. Well-groomed posts, great off-piste. Excellent food and drink. Friendly Austrians. What's not to like?
snow report
NickyJ, snowbrainer discount code seem to have expired Sad
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
NickyJ, snowbrainer discount code seem to have expired Sad

Indeed it has sadly.

Where would one get another?
snow conditions
They have emailed me Snow10 for everywhere except France which is Snow1 (and a higher discount). I assumed the clicky ones meant snow heads got some money back, so Admin may be interested in knowing the code has expired as he is the one that created those magic clicky's (I assume?).

Edit - just spotted that emailed code expired yesterday. Sorry. Will post if they send another through.
snow report
Great choice of resort and hotel and I hope you enjoy as much as we always do. You can ski back to the Alexandra on Blue 62, but ski off to the left before the final sharp right hand bend which takes you under the road, and you arrive at a bus stop. Cross the road and then you can ski down to the hotel.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickyJ wrote:
They have emailed me Snow10 for everywhere except France which is Snow1 (and a higher discount). I assumed the clicky ones meant snow heads got some money back, so Admin may be interested in knowing the code has expired as he is the one that created those magic clicky's (I assume?).

Edit - just spotted that emailed code expired yesterday. Sorry. Will post if they send another through.

They have re-emailed me those same codes valid until 15th Dec
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy