Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SR : HokkaidOH! 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
Great to hear all going well clarky999.

It's a tough one at Kiroro. I agree that it's not particularly dangerous with regards to avalanches, although there are a couple of steeper pitches in there that do slide.

Not for far, but in to terrain traps.

The bigger issue is discouraging unskilled people going in there because of the track out. Still plenty of very average skiers and snowboarders going in there mind.

I've seen two helicopter airlifts from the river track, and got one Japanese snowboarder out of a hole myself. He was 2 m below the snow surface, standing in the river.

They are in talks with the Forest Service to start a gate system similar to the Niseko Resort Area, but with the Sunshine, Alberta, Canada rule of access only allowed after a safety talk, with avalanche safety equipment, and with a partner.

Will keep you posted.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DAY 52 : SATURDAY 18 JANUARY 2014

0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Who forgot to put the money in the meter?

The streak has ended after 27 days straight of snowfall, dropping 534 cm (210") of the finest powder all over the Shiribeshi area.

Day five at Kiroro for the Lovelocks and Craig.

Sunshine and warmer temperatures made the untracked and tracked powder heavier than previous days necessitating steeper pitches and stashes in the trees for smooth powder.

But there was still plenty out there.

'Finding Your Feet'

Craig

Hayden

Alex

Ria

Neil

DAY 53 : SUNDAY 19 JANUARY 2014

1 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Day six at Kiroro for the Lovelocks and Craig.

The Lovelock's & Craig's last day of their holiday, and unfortunately I was unable to ski with them today.

Severe abdominal pain at 8pm last night resulted in a trip to Kutchan hospital with Ian MacKenzie to discover that I have kidney stones and they want out!

Ian skied with them and reported 10-15 cm of new snow and smiles all round.

In the 23 days they've been here the Lovelock family and Craig have

seen 456 cm (180") of Hokkaido powder fall

skied 19 days - Kiroro (6), Niseko Annupuri (2), Niseko Grand Hirafu (1), Niseko Hanazono (2), Niseko Moiwa (4), Rusutsu (4)

and all improved significantly, skiing far more technical terrain and deeper snow with less effort

and already booked to return in December 2014 Smile

DAY 54 : MONDAY 20 JANUARY 2014

5 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Day off snow.

On the "Kidney Diet", trying to lose a few stones.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DAY 55 : TUESDAY 21 JANUARY 2014

3 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

With relatively little snow in the Niseko Resort Area the past four days, Ian and I headed back to Kiroro.

We were rewarded with a very unexpected deep powder day with our tracks filling in each run

Ian likes surprises

http://youtube.com/v/gwh21A3-daM
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ouch, hope you get well soon Mike!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks MagSeven.

I'm a few days behind posts, but all good for now. Been back playing and teaching.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DAY 56 : WEDNESDAY 22 JANUARY 2014

14 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

We just can't enough of Kiroro, and it consistently delivers.

Great day out there with Ian who was making some great shapes and getting deep.

Ian in 'Hangman'

Kiroro Coldsmoke

http://youtube.com/v/b8TT0TVJk3c

Unfortunately an old knee injury made a very unwelcome appearance on the track out of 'Hangman' and we headed straight to Kutchan hospital.

X-ray, consultation and MRI later and it's 7-10 days off snow to see if it takes care of itself. If not it's arthroscopy time.

Fingers crossed he can avoid the knife.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Spending a bit too much time at Kutchan hospital eh!

Gonna be at Rusutsu tomorrow and Sunday if anyone is around.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mike Pow, hope you get better soon!

Yesterday was OBSCENELY deep at Kiroro. Pretty sure I will never ski snow that deep again. Total insanity.

Today was spent jumping off stuff at Furano. Lots of great steep terrain in the trees, and the hike up to the peak yielded a great long untracked pow run.

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks clarky999.

Saw the Black Diamond bus heading to Kiroro as I was on my way to Sapporo Kokusai.

EPIC day.

Vid(s) to follow soon.

Great to read you caught Kiroro at its best.

Enjoy the road trip.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm in two minds as to whether I'd rather you guys stop updating this because every day I'm growing more envious, or whether I'd like to see you keep putting new pics and reports up because it looks incredible this year and it's amazing to see!

I'm glad Kiroro has delivered the goods, I only got to ski there for one day last year and apart from the vicious wind, once I got down into the trees the powder was phenomenal. It looks a whole different level this year though!

Mike - I hope you manage to loose those unwanted stones ASAP!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Chrissyg.

The base depth is much lower at Kiroro this winter with more trees and bushes to negotiate.

But what's fallen on that base has been top of the notch.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DAY 57 : THURSDAY 23 JANUARY 2014

12 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

With Ian temporarily incapacitated and other friends working it was a choice between a day off snow or skiing solo.

Easy choice and I was on my way to Kiroro.

When I got to Kutchan I was last in a line of 5 vans packed with skiers and snowboarders heading out of the Niseko Resort Area looking for deep turns.

They all turned left to Kiroro and I changed plans and headed straight on to Kimobetsu and over Nakayama Toge pass to Sapporo Kokusai.

Sapporo Kokusai is a small but perfectly formed day resort close to Otaru and Sapporo which sits on the backside of Kiroro Snow World.

Unfortunately they're not linked by lift, but you can tour between the two.

Sapporo Kokusai
http://www.sapporo-kokusai.jp/en/

I've always got the goods here and today was no different.

Didn't get on the gondola until 11am and the blazing sunshine of earlier had turned to mixed cloud and sunshine.

But looking out of the gondola window I could see a couple of skiers and snowboarders skiing gut deep powder in the trees and acres of untracked.

Got off the gondola, clicked in and made two massive schoolboy errors.

Schoolboy Error #1

I didn't check the alignment of the Contour camera so the first two vids of the day will give you a neckache unless you flip your computer 90 degrees or set your phone / tablet to screen lock and flip 90 degrees.

Schoolboy Error #2

I headed straight into the untracked Kokusai sidecountry skiers right at the top of the gondola.

Took me 15 mins to put the track in and then when I was ready to drop in to the pristine powder I found the snow was too deep for the pitch and ended up poling and breaking trail downhill for 45 mins until I got back into the ski area.

I met a Finnish skier on the gondola later in that afternoon and he told me his friends had done the same but ended up taking 2 hrs to get out.

Back on the gondola, this time I headed to the fringes of the pistes and found plenty of deep and light powder.

Thursday Is The New Friday Part One

http://youtube.com/v/ZvRk6PQwzqA
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bonza bonza bonza. There in 2 weeks and cannot be more excited. fingers crossed these sort of conditions keep on coming
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kokusai really looks quite good Mike. Let not make it sound too good! Great footage over the last week, especially from Hangman. Keep the good times coming. Should look at getting back for a March assault....
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Mike Pow, loving the face shots! Is the bling white jacket your powder camouflage?
ski holidays
emohawk66 wrote:
Kokusai really looks quite good Mike. Let not make it sound too good! Great footage over the last week, especially from Hangman. Keep the good times coming. Should look at getting back for a March assault....

Don't think we'll have to worry about it being mobbed Smile

You know 'Jarch' makes sense snowHead
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
Mike Pow, loving the face shots!

Ta. Me too snowHead

Quote:
Is the bling white jacket your powder camouflage?

Actually shows up quite well I think. It's a waterproof Scott motorbike jacket Smile
latest report
UPDATE : THURSDAY 23 JANUARY 2014

After playing on the fringes it was time to hit some steeper lines.

I didn't check the alignment of the Contour camera so this vid will give you a neckache unless you flip your computer 90 degrees or set your phone / tablet to screen lock and flip 90 degrees.

Thursday Is The New Friday Part Two

http://youtube.com/v/iKaJsOhsUL8
snow report
UPDATE : THURSDAY 23 JANUARY 2014

Finally got the camera alignment right. Third time's a charm!

Thursday Is The New Friday Part Three

http://youtube.com/v/T_OQpLZUib0
ski holidays
DAY 58 : FRIDAY 24 JANUARY 2014

1 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Spent the morning at Niseko Annupuri with John Pidgeon and Chris Morton.

First time skiing with John this winter and it's always a pleasure.

Chris, John's son-in-law, and I skied together two winters ago and it was great to see that what I'd passed on had stuck.

Great buffet lunch and then we met up with John's daughter Di, her & Chris' son Fraser, John's grandson Jack and family friends for a fabulous dinner at Ezo Seafoods.

John's favourite.

DAY 59 : SATURDAY 25 JANUARY 2014

0 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Back to Niseko Annupuri with John Pidgeon and Di & Chris Morton.

Ski Heroes

As a young boy growing up in the valleys of South Wales I had three ski heroes.

The 1976 Olympics Men's Downhill champion Franz Klammer, Kirk Douglas in the film 'The Heroes of Telemark', and Action Man.

I've been lucky enough to meet and chat with Franz Klammer in a Ski Club of Great Britain bash, and he's a true gent.

After my first winter season working in the Austrian Alps and watching the Greg Stump movie 'The Blizzard of Ahhs', Scott Schmidt, Glen Plake & Mike Hattrup were added to the list.

I've been fortunate to meet all three and all three are great guys - Scott Schmidt and Glen Plake at Big Mountain, Montana, USA in 2001, & Mike Hattrup at Niseko Moiwa last season.

I even got to ski powder with Glen Plake at the end of season employee ski day at Big Mountain where he performed one of his party tricks by opening a bottle of champagne with the edge of one ski.

At the top of the mountain.

In the same year I skied and partied at Big Mountain with Bill Johnson - the 1984 Olympics Men's Downhill Gold medallist from Sarajevo - when he was attempting his comeback prior to the 2002 Winter Olympics.

And in 2005 I spent a fantastic day at Vail, Colorado with the 1984 Men's Olympic Slalom Silver medallist from the same games, Steve Mahre.

I Was taught to instruct by two wonderful people. The late Colin Young at Kicking Horse, BC, Canada and Annie Black at Keystone, Colorado.

They all make my list.

To that list of heroes I add John Pidgeon.

John had his first taste of skiing at Mt Kosciusko, NSW, Australia in 1947, staying at the original chalet.

The ski day would entail hiking up the slope in leather boots with skis strapped to his backpack, one run down, lunch, and one more ascent & descent in the afternoon if you were feeling energetic!

At 87 years young he's still learning, laughing and floating down the mountain.

He's the first to the bar, and the last to leave.

A gentleman and a scholar.

John

http://youtube.com/v/563E11CNKs4

Already looking forward to next season John.
latest report
Epic snowHead
latest report
Mike...great story, and I can add a bit to that:

The very first ski club chalet on My Kozy was built by a group of enthusiasts that included my Grandmother, various Great Uncles and Aunts and Great Grandparents....in the years just before , and during WW1. Various members of my family were certainly skiing there in leather and laces in 1947.

Ask John if he knows any Simpsons from Adelaide (say it is the washing machine family....he'll know what that means)

Glad to see the legacy of that is still skiing....nice one John.
snow conditions
Thanks AndAnother Thing

rungsp wrote:
Mike...great story, and I can add a bit to that:

The very first ski club chalet on My Kozy was built by a group of enthusiasts that included my Grandmother, various Great Uncles and Aunts and Great Grandparents....in the years just before , and during WW1. Various members of my family were certainly skiing there in leather and laces in 1947.

Ask John if he knows any Simpsons from Adelaide (say it is the washing machine family....he'll know what that means)

Glad to see the legacy of that is still skiing....nice one John.

Thanks for sharing that rungsp. Will ask him.

"...leather and laces...", love it Smile
latest report
DAY 60 : SUNDAY 26 JANUARY 2014

2 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Wild winds kicked in around 11 am closing most of the lifts in the Niseko Resort Area.

Glad I sat this one out.

DAY 61 : MONDAY 27 JANUARY 2014

8 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Another day off snow, but a far more hospitable day.

Lighter winds and light snow falling throughout the day.

DAY 62 : TUESDAY 28 JANUARY 2014

15 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 914 cm (360") has fallen at MQ in Higashiyama

I spent the day skiing Niseko Hirafu and Hanazono with Whistler, BC, Canada locals Frank Salter & Melanie Jones.

Whistler's hurting for snow at the moment so Frank combined a work trip to Honshu with some turns on Hokkaido.

The single chair and the higher backcountry gates were closed all day which kept the majority inbounds in Hirafu and Hanazono.

We warmed up in Miharashi which was well tracked and choppy, and then moved on to Tetse's, 10 Turns and The Cuts in Hanazono.

Untracked, knee deep creamy powder was the order of the day and we took it gladly.

After a couple of laps in Legend of Shinya and Blueberries we headed back over to Hirafu and found the day's best snow in the Waterfall area.

So we lapped it for the remainder of the day, finding some deeper and lighter stashes.

Melanie

Frank

For dinner we went to Little Red Momiji's Sake and Gyoza bar on Momiji-Zaka St.

A very laid back dining experience with couches and low tables replacing the usual dining table and chairs.

We had the best edamame I've eaten, fabulous gyoza, and a belly pork and rice to die for.

Great atmosphere and wonderful service.

Very highly recommended.

http://littleredmomijis.com/
snow report
DAY 63 : WEDNESDAY 29 JANUARY 2014

19 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Solo to Niseko Moiwa today and it was a waiting game for the wind to die down and the lifts to start spinning.

But patience was rewarded handsomely.

The double chair B opened at 9.35 am and there was creamy boot top powder to be had on the front side and knee deep with the occassional face shot in the trees.

The Japanese Army Mountain Division were out in force practicing their alpine skiing and synchro skiing skills on narrow touring skis with light telemark bindings and army-issue leather boots.

Very impressive.

Moiwa Soul

http://youtube.com/v/5zaMzsQlsI4

The quad opened at 12.35 pm and for those who stuck around the upper mountain offered a spongy base with chunky and light powder on top. Untracked lines and face shots galore.

Unfortunately I filmed the inside of my pocket all the way through lunch and had no space left on the memory card.

Doh!

But there's plenty left for Thursday.
ski holidays
Outrageous skiing at Kokusai Mike. You may need to create a market for self contained skiing apparatus, or perhaps even a periscope fitting for the helmet.
snow conditions
Ha ha. Yeah All Time conditions for me.

Fingers crossed for more of the same.
ski holidays
DAY 64 : THURSDAY 30 JANUARY 2014

17 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

With high winds still affecting the Niseko Resort Area closing the top lifts and forcing everyone down the mountain, I headed to Kiroro with Frank, Melanie and Ian.

It was Ian's first day back on snow since he injured his knee and it held up well on the groomed runs on the lower mountain.

The upper lifts were closed in Kiroro too, but with great terrain on the lower mountain and nobody skiing it Frank, Melanie and I skied untracked powder all day.

The powder was a little heavier than normal, but there were plenty of light turns to be had.

Frank

Melanie

Frank

Melanie

Frank

Melanie

Frank

Incoming

Great to meet and ski with you guys, safe travel back to Whistler, and hope you get some snow soon.

snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DAY 65 : FRIDAY 31 JANUARY 2014

12 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

January saw 498 cm (196") of snowfall, the 4th highest total in the eight winters I've been collecting data.

The highest total was in January 2011 when 600 cm (236") fell.

After an hour or so of sunshine first thing this morning the heavens opened and snow and cold temperatures returned to the Niseko Resort Area.

17 cm has fallen at MQ today and it's still snowing heavily at the moment.

High winds once again closed the upper lifts but the wind speeds are forecast to lighten tomorrow.
latest report
DAY 66 : SATURDAY 01 FEBRUARY 2014

33 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Unfortunately the high winds that have beset the Niseko Resort Area for the past four days persisted, closing the top lifts until late in the afternoon.

So Tracy and I headed to Rusutsu to escape the wind.

We managed that and more. Much more.

Rusutsu was excellent with deep powder all over the resort and snowfall throughout the day.

http://youtube.com/v/xNdAtp7DJqo
snow report
Call that powder Mike????? I've seen better in my garden in the spring....

Ok - maybe slightly jealous.....and FOS......looks awesome Shocked
ski holidays
nemesys wrote:
Call that powder Mike????? I've seen better in my garden in the spring....

Ok - maybe slightly jealous.....and FOS......looks awesome Shocked

ha ha

How about this?

UPDATE : SATURDAY 01 FEBRUARY 2014

Yours truly enjoying the Rusutsu powder

http://youtube.com/v/VBZr67ui6W0
latest report
Now you're just being mean snowHead

I wondered a few times why you always carry the GoPro on the pole attachment and it suddenly dawned on me that if you had it helmet mounted it would get clogged up in the first decent deep turn.....

I have to make it out there next year somehow!

Thanks for the updates - great to watch and drool over.
latest report
nemesys wrote:
I wondered a few times why you always carry the GoPro on the pole attachment and it suddenly dawned on me that if you had it helmet mounted it would get clogged up in the first decent deep turn.....

Absolutely.

Quote:
I have to make it out there next year somehow!

Thanks for the updates - great to watch and drool over.

You won't regret it snowHead

Thanks for reading and commenting.
snow conditions
DAY 67 : SUNDAY 02 FEBRUARY 2014

3 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

The quad at Niseko Moiwa had been on wind hold the previous three days and with 62 cm of snow in that time Tracy, Jack, Menno, Davey, Elko and I headed there bright and early with high hopes.

We weren't the only ones with the same plan, and I've not seen queues that big there before.

The quad was running slow, the line up took about 15 minutes, and when we got to the top we found that the wind had smoothed the powder to a consistent, creamy texture with about boot top penetration.

It was fast though and there were untracked lines to be had for most of the day.

Not as deep as we had hoped but we all had a ball.

DAY 68 : MONDAY 03 FEBRUARY 2014

8 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

As of today 1006 cm (396") has fallen at MQ in Higashiyama

Today was Day 1 with the Banks family - Tim, Jackie, Dougy and Claud.

Expecting large Chinese New Year crowds in Niseko Hirafu we drove over to Niseko Hanazono to start our day.

It was a good call with quiet slopes all morning and untracked turns in the trees after lunch.

Mixed snow conditions in the trees with spongy powder sandwiched between soft light powder on top and a crusty base below.
snow report
DAY 69 : TUESDAY 04 FEBRUARY 2014

5 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Day 2 with the Banks family, and today we headed to Rusutsu.

Glorious sunshine. Dry, light, boot top powder. And quiet slopes.

Fabulous.

Tim and Jackie on Isola Mt with Lake Toya and the Pacific Ocean in the background

Jackie

Tim

Tim, Jackie, Claud and Dougy on Isola Mt with Lake Toya and the Pacific Ocean in the background

Tim

Jackie

Claud

Dougy

Tim

Dougy

Jackie

Claud

Rusutsu Blue Skies

http://youtube.com/v/OZwnFJ2WHDE
snow conditions
DAY 70 : WEDNESDAY 05 FEBRUARY 2014

4 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Day 3 with the Banks family, and today it was just Tim and me at Kiroro.

Boot top powder on the fringes of the groomed runs to start our day, and then it started snowing.

By day's end it was knee deep on the groomed runs, and considerably deeper in the trees.

Fastest accumulating snow I've experienced.

Tim made big changes today transitioning from killing the momentum and acceleration at the start of the turn with an exaggerated pole plant and an heavy edge set to standing taller & light accelerating through the start of the turn square to the skis.

Tim

Kiroro Ram Jam

http://youtube.com/v/eCK4lbSXp_8
latest report
Nice video, looks a touch busy out there.

What mount(s) are you using for the contour??
ski holidays
kitenski wrote:
Nice video, looks a touch busy out there.

What mount(s) are you using for the contour??

Very taxing dodging the crowds Wink

Clear plastic mount with pistol grip on the pole view.

Hand held like a 'ray gun' for the rest.
snow conditions
DAY 71 : THURSDAY 06 FEBRUARY 2014

24 cm in the past 24hrs at MQ

Day 4 with the Banks family, and Tim, Jackie & I headed to Kiroro.

Yesterday's powder had been flattened by the overnight wind, so it was a day on the long, expertly groomed Kiroro pistes.

Jackie started to lose the stem on her right to left turn - a legacy of her snowplow days - and to feel the acceleration at the start of the turn.

By day's end she was really moving.

http://youtube.com/v/v4OBRHg4Ru8
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy