Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Double Drilled Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm mainly a climbing more than a skiier. Been on two ski-touring holidays but mostly my skiing is to give me access to climbs.

I bought a beat up old set of dynafit bindings and skis for less than £100 all in for a trip I'm about to go on to Chamonix. The dynafit bindings are drilled a bit too big for my boot.

Will it irreparably damage the skis in some way which I cannot forsee other than leaving a few small holes in the top?

I was planning to get a shop to do the mounting, either Lockwoods or Big Dicks Board store.

Cheers

Ash
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
dutybooty, welcome to snowheads

As long as the old holes are sealed (plastic plugs banged in with a bit of glue and tops cut off) and the recommended distance from new holes to old ones is more than 10mm, it should be fine. Even if it is a bit close you can always helicoil them, but that adds to cost.

A pair of my daughters old training slalom skis are like swiss cheese, I think they have been drilled at least 4 times moving the plate and bindings

I am sure others will be along soon............
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
When I took in some ski's to S&R they wouldn't drill a third time for safety reasons. However, some on here were sceptical it was an issue. I wouldn't hesitate on a second drilling.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dutybooty, welcome to snowheads. So long as you get a reputable shop to do it you should be fine. Lockwoods certainly know what they are doing. There are places in Chamonix that will also be able to help.

I had a friend with new skis that had been poorly mounted by a shop with touring bindings. Water got into the holes and froze, the results were catastropic, they were a party of four attempting Mont Blanc. The ski burst and was useless halfway up. Two of them retreated and had an epic skiing down the glacier on one ski, the other two carried on but also had an epic, near the summit one stuffered a stress fracture, and was helicoptered off, leaving one lad who was the least experienced alone near the top! Fortunately a couple of Norwegians skied down with him. All for the sake of a bit of glue. I guess a few other lessons as well were learnt.

Some lightweight touring skis are not recommended for re drilling.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
These are quite lightweight....popping down there to have a chat with him a bit later.

I've been recommended a shop thats a bit more local to me than Lockwoods called the piste office, has anyone heard of it? Back up the recommendations?

Unfortunately getting them done in Cham is not an option for me, arriving in Cham on the 20th December, up the Midi on the 21st and won't be back in Cham until after new year.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The Piste Office is first rate.

The owner is a snowhead called spyderjon and may well be along.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes, the Piste Office is run by a snowhead. They are more than competent and will sort you out easily
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Aye, had a word with him on the phone a little while ago. Just wanted to double check before I left my skis there!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dutybooty, Yep the Piste Office is a top business and Spyderjon a really good chap!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Go to the Piste Office. Lockwoods seem to be slipping, at least from what I've seen when popping in over the last couple of years (they're just round the corner from my parents' house). Expensive too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Popped into Piste Office. He sorted me out sub-20 minutes as he had a lull in work. Think I've found a new local ski shop!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cool
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+1 for spyderjon

I've got a pair of stocklis which have been drilled 3 times (spyderjon did the last set for me). Booted out at high speed with enough energy for the skis to gouge big chunks out each other (through the metal topsheet), but no other damage.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy