Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski dilemma - One ski quiver for Europe?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

I'm in need of some ski advice. Have searched this forum and TGR to narrow down list, but would really appreciate any experiences on this year's skis before I commit.

Any advice greatly appreciated. Lack of good shops in home resort mean I'll probably need to buy without a demo.

Me: 20+ years skiing, two seasons, 75kg, 6ft. Happy with steep, technical lines, but not dropping cliffs or straight-lining at crazy speeds. 4 weeks a year in France and Austria. Family means I'll spend 50% on piste, 50% off, almost all lift accessed within resort boundaries.

Current sis: Line Prophet 100 in 179. c.4 years old. No rocker. Happy with these on groomed, but lack of rocker means I'm constantly worried about tip dive when skiing faster off piste.

What I'm after: One pair of 98mm-110mm waist width that will float reasonably, can still carve turns on hard pistes and be quick for trees and bumps. Nice if they're 'fun' enough to hit some kickers and ski switch, but not a priority and no real time in the park required.

The current shortlist:
Blizzard Peacemaker (should be a good balance, but very little info out there)
Rossignol Soul 7 (good reviews, but potentially too soft in variable snow)
Line Sir Francis Bacon (just sounds fun, a bit worried about piste performance and centre mount)
Scott Punisher
Armada TST (specs look good, but mixed reviews, get knocked about in crud)
Gotama (a bit too straight to be fun on piste)
Others?

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Blizzard Bonafide? Praxis Piste Jib or MVP? Blizzard Cochise, if you can demo them to see what they feel like on piste? Down CD7? Nordica Hell&back? There must be dozens of skis that'll fit your requirements.

I suspect that pretty much everyone has a 98mm ski that would do the job for you. Pick one with a topsheet you like, and you won't go far wrong wink

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Wed 20-11-13 20:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Black Crows Corvus
Whitedot Ranger
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm a DPS slut, so let's suggest the Wailer 99.

Not really a recommendation, more of a thread highjack, but has anyone tried these sticks: http://powderfactory.com/

The 'Daylite' looks pretty sweet, although appreciate importing may prove costly.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Or Black Crow Navis.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I ski the old 98mm Nordica Enforcers. I tested a lot of models when buying, they were my fav's, Black Crows a close second. Can you research shops that carry a range and agree to test a few out on your first years ski hol and buy the best pair at the end of the week?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lynx from Idris Skis - If you are in this (Chamonix) part of the world, give them a test - you may think the 173 is a bit short, but give em a try - there is always the 185 if you need to go LARGE Wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Have you seen the new Atomic Nomad? Very nice all round ski. From your shortlist I can't really find a pair of skis that will perform on the piste, they are all pushing towards off piste. For an all round ski, you should avoid center mounted skis, you will lose you technical skill as the skis require a different style of skiing (Going straight and jumping), as they are more of a freestyle ski.

If you wanted a slightly stiffer ski that will perform well off piste as well as superb on piste, go for the new head i.speed skis-my favourite from the ski test!

Hope this helps!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Down CD 7 would work very well, Blizzard Cochise maybe, the new version of the Scott Punisher seems to be excellent, one of the 108mm Kaestle options...
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+ 1 for Whitedot Ranger & the Down CD 7
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rwp, Scott Stunt ................ totally under-rated................... try find the 2012 model in 196 cms. This skis even better than the Whitedot Redeemer OP, and cranks up as a "wide-body" GS ski on-piste.

Just as you ask..................
One pair of 98mm-110mm waist width that will float reasonably, can still carve turns on hard pistes and be quick for trees and bumps. wink
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have some 183 Armada TSTs, and I really like them. Great in powder and still decent on piste.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thepistepanther, I have just had my skis remounted 20mm forward as the holes forced the issue. I do ski parks a bit as well as play off piste so hopefully that slight amount won't make much difference - fingers crossed rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Faction Prodigy or 3.Zero
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rwp wrote:
50% on piste, 50% off, almost all lift accessed within resort boundaries.

Current sis: Line Prophet 100 in 179. c.4 years old. No rocker. Happy with these on groomed, but lack of rocker means I'm constantly worried about tip dive when skiing faster off piste.

What I'm after: One pair of 98mm-110mm waist width that will float reasonably, can still carve turns on hard pistes and be quick for trees and bumps. Nice if they're 'fun' enough to hit some kickers and ski switch, but not a priority and no real time in the park required.

Do they have to be twin tip for switch/park - because if not ditch the Blizzard Peacemaker and look at Cochise or Bonafide (or equivalents) . Then add length - say 184-8 for rocker ? (others chime in please ) and hey presto no tip dive.

If you think you may be too light for the stiffer flex on the Cochise or Bonafide, then look at the FreeTour counterparts - Kabookie and Scout. Kabookie gets better reviews if I recall correctly. Caveat , Haven't skied these, just bought some Bonafides with family skiing in mind, but my "metrics" *cough* are slightly larger than yours i.e. nearer 100kg then 75. Similar height. I looked at maybe some Line 98's which I think have replaced your 100s and I got the feel through reviews that they were a little too "nervy" "flighty" - not quite squirrelly but sort of needing constant "trim". The other big name in the class is of course the Mantra and the reviews there suggest a bit too much heft and rail - so thats what got me looking at the Blizzard Bonafides. I ve picked the 187's, having no problem with a rockered Scott Crusade in 189 which they will replace.

Whatever you choose, if I were in your shoes I would weight more to a fatter ski - if you are out there and it's boilerplate, you can always hire uber-Carvers, but you don't want to waste a nano-second on a powder day!
ski holidays
Avalanche poodle- You will feel the 20mm difference at first but become accustomed to it within half a day max!
snow report
thepistepanther, Thanks. It should help with making turns more stable switch skiing too Smile
snow report
Avalanche Poodle, For sure it will!!! Smile
ski holidays
I have some Blizzard Cochise 185's and I think they are best ski I have ever skied (and I've skied quite a few!!). They carve pretty well, float well, destroy crud like it's just a minor irritation BUT they like to be skied fast - I don't mean you have to but imo they show their true class with a little more speed. They are even ok in the bumps - which surprised me a bit.

I ski as much off piste as I can but family means I make the same sacrifices you do by the sound of it!

I am about 5' 10" 80kg's btw, 20+ years skiing, worked a couple of seasons, manage 2/3 weeks a year now if I am lucky Sad

Only downside - not twin tip at all so switch not a real option but that doesn't bother me much. I bought mine last year pre-season - previous year's model (just a graphics change).

Cheers,
Dave.

EDIT: The rocker means you can comfortably go a bit longer than you're used to btw.
ski holidays
spyderjon wrote:
+ 1 for Whitedot Ranger & the Down CD 7

Just had a poke at the Down website. Quite taken with the CD 0 but it's not really a single quiver ski.
ski holidays
I had a look at the Down site too - never heard of them but they look very nice. CD2 looks like it could manage anything. The CD5 looks strange - would love to demo that.
ski holidays
For the last few years, Down have had pretty good deals in their summer sales. Allegedly, they'll have some other lengths availablefor next season, so fingers crossed it'll be super cheap again...
snow report
All - Thanks for all the input - Some really interesting ideas on here. Wasn't too familiar with Down Skis or White Dot, and both look great. Would be nice to support smaller brands.

Cochise also sounds like a winning option, and may be the safe bet if I can't find a way to demo either of the above.

Thanks again!
snow conditions
I have similar experience and am of a similar build to you. Based on my experience of moving from a 98mm trad camber ski @ 178cm to a 115mm rockered ski @ 185cm (Armada JJ) I can advise the following:

If you are concerned about tip dive on your traditional camber skis, adding rocker alone will not fix the issue. If anything it will only make matters worse as rocker reduces fore/aft stability in powder. Rocker will give you a nice surfy feeling and if you get a suitably soft flex with shortish or variable turn radius you will have a lot of fun making a variety of turns in all sorts of soft snow conditions. However this will not help at speed or in a straight line where you will feel like you're going to go over the front. Also it will reduce bumps performance considerably, and makes for some very nervous moments when skiing hard-packed steeps.

If you are mostly skiing in Europe ski conditions I would consider 100mm underfoot traditionally cambered ski with some tip rocker/early rise, go a touch longer to maybe 184-186cm, and maybe consider ski designs with a wider tip and pin-tail for improved powder performance. You will find this ski ideal most days, and if it's puking hire some K2 pontoons and go bananas.

If you are mostly skiing in the US (anything but east coast) or Canada then bigger will be better, and a rockered ski will pay dividends. I'd go 188cm+ with at least 110mm underfoot; don't go nuts on the rocker but certainly get some tip and tail and you'll be laughing.
snow conditions
Salomon Rocker 2 115mm in 188cm length. A really excellent ski. They carve on piste, they destroy crud and are superb in powder, great on steeps. I cannot fault mine. I think that Salomon have changed their name now. Have a look at some of the reviews on youtube, blistergear, www.backcountry.com. etc.
ski holidays
ScottyGBR, your problems likely stem from the fact the JJ is soft and has a silly small turn radius. Not ideal for going fast, or skiing steeps. Straighter the better in terms of sidecut IMO, unless carving busy groomers is important.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy