Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpbach & Ski Jewel Area or Zell Am See which one???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So I am looking at these 2 areas for a week in January and just cant decide. What we like are wider and longer runs if poss some of the resorts we have skied in before include, St Anton and area, Ski Welt, Sauze Doux & the rest of the milky way, Aosta Valley, Cervinia, Les Deux Alpes. We are off to Saalbach in March so this trip needs to be pretty reasonable in price

We are stuck to Sat- Sat and as we live in North East of England pretty much restricted with flights. So after trailing through brochures narrowed it down to these 2 - So anyone tell me what the places are like - Runs wise - Is the connections in alpbach easy enough to get around not to keen on having to bus around too much - Zell Am See are the runs too short?

Not too bothered about raving all night - couple of drinks and nice food will do - Are the prices reasonable in the resorts and what are the restaurants like?

So can anyone help??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pam B, I went to ZaZ expecting the ski area to be a bit poxy but it's actually quite extensive. The town is nice with lots of bars and restaurants but isn't rowdy.

I've only been to Alpbach in the summer - breathtakingly beautiful then.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Alpbach i would say has the wider runs and longer runs. not skiied the kaprun area but preferred alpbach to zell ski wise. Saalbach is amazing and the apres is unbeliveable.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Pam B, TBH I don't think either particulary meet your brief particulary well although I've not skied in Alpbach since the new link has openned. Zell is nice but if the snow isn't great it becomes even more limited-it does have some nice wide cruisey runs though.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Zel Am See is very beautiful and has some decent long runs, but I found it a bit samey after a few days - we did 3 days at Zell and 3 at Kaprun and skied every run, some of them many times over. Also I find it's not that easy to get around the mountain in Zell because of the horseshoe layout of the resort. However, the town is very nice, the views are absolutely spectacular - and the skiing's pretty decent. There are some good blacks and a lovely long red plus some cruisey stuff.

I've not been to Alpbach.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I haven't skied Zell am Zee, but stayed in Neiderau last year (for the second time), and skied the Alpbach area most days.

On the Alpbach side itself, you won't need a bus at all once you reach the initial lift, and the lift to get over to Auffach is directly opposite the base of the Alpbach main gondola, so you also won't need a bus to ski that. If you want to go and ski the Neiderau slopes, thaht is a 15-20 minute bus ride from the base of the Auffach area.

Most of the runs at both Auffach and Alpach are pretty wide, although quite a few are not particularly long, particularly the groups of runs around the top chairs. But there are a couple of good long runs from the top all the way to the base at Alpbach (down to two separate gondolas), and one at Auffach (which splits and rejoins at various points, giving a few options).

If you are coming back over to Alpbach from Auffach, the run only goes down to the midpoint of the gondola, you have to download by lift from there - and the run that far is a fairly narrow red. I took the gondola down from the top on the way to Alpbach most days last year.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alpbach - beautiful, for families (lots of brits!). Zell, much younger average age.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy