Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do you do on a chairlift?

Poster: A snowHead
Mark Frary in The Times yesterday had an article on how to be a clean skier.
Much of the article was standard stuff, but the section headed Sit on the chairlift caught my attention.
I don't smoke, but I often check the piste map or use my mobile phone.
I have yet to drop anything (by mistake or on purpose), but I do notice the gloves, poles and paper that accumulate under chairlifts.
So what do you do on a chairlift? And what have you dropped?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not dropped anything but I did manage to get a ski pole caught in a chairlift many years ago, fortunately they took it off at the bottom and I reclaimed it after I'd had lunch wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Jonpim wrote:
1. So what do you do on a chairlift? 2. what have you dropped?

1. Get the phone number of the cute girl.

2. An absolute stinker, thought I'd followed through, after a particularly spicy chilli dish and beer. (didn't get the phone number that time)
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat, I did one of those in the queue for the cable car in Zermatt, cue a rather well to do woman looking at me with absolute disgust, whilst my ski buddies fell over themselve laughing.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kramer wrote:
Wear The Fox Hat, I did one of those in the queue for the cable car in Zermatt, cue a rather well to do woman looking at me with absolute disgust, whilst my ski buddies fell over themselve laughing.

Better in the queue than in the cable car itself Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Normally I panic for a bit that I'm on the right lift, then light up, then get out the hip flask, generally faff with gloves, hat, sunnies, pole strap,coat zip, anything really. Just realised, I'm a nightmare to share a chair with...... snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I do blood tests and inject the odd couple of units of insulin into my stomach - get the odd funny look hehehe
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Grab my poles as hard as I can coz I'm paranoid about dropping them Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Laugh at a friend as she drops yet another glove over the edge, apart from that im far to lazy to actually do anything on the lift apart from sit and talk. Far too much effot taking stuff out of pockets!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are some suggestions here wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
boredsurfin, Well that's changed the tone of this thread some what Shocked Laughing
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
IncogSkiSno, Trust boredsurfin, rolling eyes
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The two that I know of that are infamous for that sort of thing are the bubble at Le Fornet in Val d'Isere, and the bubble at Rendl in St Anton. I've never had a chance to test it myself.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Doesn't work Embarassed
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scapa - ahha, a fellow dibee. Been at it long? - I've just celebrated 22,000 injections...

But not one on a chairlift I have to say - nice one.
snow conditions
JimW, hmmm - 25 yrs - prob over 60,000 now hehehe
ski holidays
I use a pen with humalog, but even in the old days I used to use the syringe to play round with topping up. Jeez - this makes me feel old - in the early 80's as a kid I had the old glass syringes with metal needles you stored in meths to sterilize.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 21-11-05 0:43; edited 1 time in total
latest report
JimW, I've had plenty of practice in very cold weather conditions on climbing trips, worked in medical research (and been a trial guinea pig)and been a sports coach so have a fair bit of experience at diabetes related issues if you wanted to discuss any points. There is also a group called MAD (Mountaineering for Active Diabetics) who have a good forum - includes high altitude climbers, mountain rescue staff, triathlon competitors etc. Some info might have a crossover into skiing stuff.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 21-11-05 0:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Oh - and try this for the worlds smallest meter http://www.tens.co.uk/acatalog/TeNS_UK_Blood_Glucose_Meters.html

Has a backlit screen and a little optional led torch button so you can test in the dark. Batteries last for many months and they take a minute amount of blood (handy for cold fingers) and give a result in 7 secs.
snow report
I sing very loudly rolling eyes
latest report
Isn't this place amazing. From dropped gloves to farting to diabetes control in just a few posts.
On topic - I've never dropped anything but I'm so afraid of it I get nervous if the person alongside pulls off a glove or starts fiddling with a backpack.
ski holidays
kuwait_ian,
Quote:

I've never dropped anything but I'm so afraid of it I get nervous if the person alongside pulls off a glove or starts fiddling with a backpack

That last bit applies to any crowded place in London Sad
latest report
boredsurfin's link is about sex in a gondola or cable car. I have always thought that must go on, but never met anyone who has managed it (and I have never had the opportunity, but if there were any adventurous lady snowhead out there . . . .).
But sex in a chairlift - now that is really enterprising.
Skiingmag did a survey on sex and skiing.
Scroll down to Okay, honestly, where's the most daring place you've had sex on the mountain?.
Unfortunately they lump together Chairlift/gondola/T-bar (11.7%), so we don't know the the number who managed on the chairlift, or - the mind boggles - T-bar.
Some even claimed to have managed it in the lift line Shocked
ski holidays
Bringing this forum back to a decent level of conversation and posting for a Monday morning.......er I just look at the view? Talk, rest my weary legs. Have the occasional snack if required. Maybe listen to some music if a long lift.
snow conditions
Jonpim, And also from this same group of respondents, 12.1% thought that sheep were the most romantic Shocked
ski holidays
Scarpa :

Just over 30 years at two a day: yes I too go back to glass syringes and metal needles!
I do remember one particular issue, when the insulin phial fell to the (tiled) floor when shooting up in Italian toilets on a school skiing trip. Never been so panicky in my life.

Since then, took to using elastoplast to strap 'spares' to my inside thigh when out on the mountain / backcountry - just in case.

I'll have a look at the MAD site when I get a chance. thanks for the heads-up.

But back to the thread - depending on my mood, I am either 1) a serial faffer, with gloves, poles, chewing gum, lip salve, goggle cleaner, piste maps all over the place or 2) sitting in a cocoon, doing nothing, saying nothing, ignoring everyone. Etiher way probably not good company... Razz
ski holidays
Sex on a chairlift?!! HAVE A LAUGH!! WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU WANT TO? and in a bubble? again-why? Its freezing, dirty and you're wearing at least 4 layers, possibly thermals aswell-oooh sexy, nothing gets the passion going like a grotty graffitied bubble, with the added bonus of getting caught by a liftie. No thank you.

As for the chairlift, I check my mobile, lip balm, chat. Very civilised.
snow conditions
We'll see if your bubble virginity lasts to the end of your season as a chalet girl Nadenoodlee! I think the possibility of getting caught is what adds to the attraction.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kramer, I can safely put money on me not having sex in a bubble. Its grim and cold and dirty. Think the BF may have a few issues with it aswell,.
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, I agree, very grim idea, also even more likely to cause injury than doing it in a mini, especially if all that action caused the gondola to swing a bit too much for its cable clamp Shocked
ski holidays
There's a very long civilized not overlooked gondola that goes back up from les Brevieres .....
latest report
D G Orf wrote:
Nadenoodlee, I agree, very grim idea, also even more likely to cause injury than doing it in a mini,

A Mini!!? why cant people have sex in nice places!?! Is there some kind of bonus point scheme for doing it in rancid hell holes? Why not in a portaloo- wow thats sexy as hell! Or in a grundon bin,what a turn on!
snow conditions
Nadenoodlee, I've no idea, but I remembered the news article where a minis roof had to be removed in order to get the unhappy couple out the vehicle after one of their backs went during their enthusiastic encounter leaving both unable to move Laughing
latest report
bk to the lifts.. i tend to either chat, stare blankly ahead in silence, watch in admiration at skilled skiers and boarders, watch wincing as you see learners doing stuff you know will make them fall, listen to my mates with young kids ooh and aahh as streams of kids go whizzing by at 30 mph... and sometimes try to light my ski treat marlboro light and spend 3/4's of the lift ride cursing as i cant get the lighter to work and promise myself for the umpteeth time to actually buy one of those fancy gas lighters at the airport..
ski holidays
I once spotted a couple on one of those chairlifts with the covers over them enjoying themselves. We noticed that the chair had it's cover down, thought it was a bit odd as the weather was OK. It looked like there was just one person in the chair & then his partner emerged from his lap... They did look a bit flustered when they realised we'd spotted them!
latest report
Very unsporting I'm afraid but sometimes you just have to "shoot" people on the piste below with your imaginary rifle. It's amazing how often it can cause them to crash Twisted Evil
latest report
I lick the metal to see if my tongue freezes !
ski holidays
Look around Smile
(and until the recent posts I wasn't aware I was likely to see anything but the fanstastic scenery!!)
snow report
Paul Mason wrote:

you forgot to mention that it stuck to the metal bar and we had to get the emergency medics out to release you Blush
latest report
Quote:

Considering some of the other posts, isn't that a trifle unhygienic? Shocked
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy