Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bulgaria in march

Poster: A snowHead
Hi peps

Looking at going somewhere cheap in March, Bulgaria is looking mega cheap. We are beginners as well.

Anyone been there firstly, and do you think there will be snow in March?

Places to go to or avoid?

Any feedback/help be fab
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Which resort? Beginning or end of March? Makes quite a difference.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anywhere, beginning of march. But when does season end?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dals, Be prepared the feedback is generally negative about skiing in Bulgaria in these parts it seems. I think if your beginner and don't have anything to compare it to and are on a budget then fair enough. Nothing I hear about it makes me want to go.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I would put a little bit more towards the holiday and try and find something in Austria. I've been to Bulgaria a couple of times and think it is a bit of a false economy. I think if you shop around there are deals to be had that for a little bit more money will give a significantly better holiday. If you are prepared to DIY there are loads of cheap flights and you can get a good Austrian b+b for next to nothing.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dals wrote:
Anywhere, beginning of march. But when does season end?

The tourist season ends 25th of March-ish, beginning of March is ideal, Bulgaria tends to get more snow later than the alps plus it is more snow sure than say January as a base has built up. Avoid Pamporovo, it is low, small and gets the least snow. Borovets has a lot of high beginner slopes so would be a good choice.

Having been to Bulgaria many times (family means it is very cheap second trip!) I would say it is certainly cheaper but that doesn't necessarily mean good value. Of course value varies depending on what you want and expectations: the instruction is dated, rental gear isn't great, ski areas are small and generally a little run down so if you prioritise amazing scenery, a fancy town and lots of ski runs over price Bulgaria isn't an ideal choice. If you want a cheaper fun holiday with a bit of character it may be a great choice.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think narc, has it spot on. I first went c1990 and then again in 2010. The later trip was for a mates birthday. 40 of us went, it was really cheap. We were on the lash most of the time and did a bit of skiing when we could manage it. It was great for that. Living in Austria now, I know that you can get deals on flights, that there are plenty of great b+bs for good prices and so with a bit of planning you get a much better holiday for not a lot more.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What about Andorra?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Dals,

I went to borovets in Bulgaria last year. it was ok. im a beginner too (was my 2nd week on the snow) so slopes were plenty enough and there are some green/blue ones higher up. Its not the most beautiful of towns but for us, at the time, it was value for money. we had 4 hours of lessons a day with ski hire and it was only £200 -£250 ish I think for the week. bargain! had lessons with hunters. was actually pretty good - much smaller class sizes than others I saw. most days there was only 5 of us. all spoke excellent English.

we stayed in the lion hotel which was a bit of a walk but away from the noise. they do put on a bus in the day to take you to the slopes. it was really nice and the food was good (although ill eat anything!).

would I go back? hmmm I think I would try to push for somewhere else now if I had a choice (and the money) but I wouldn't not go back if that makes sense! I think it depends what youre going for and who with but it wasn't as bad as I expected from some reviews!

im sure youll have fun wherever you end up.

lady p.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Going on my first holiday in January to Les Arcs with friends and other half. Basically i am looking for a cheeky cheap one just for me and him, nothing plush. Just snow and ok accomodation.

Just been on teletext and they got Andorra end of march for £350-£400 half board Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
narc wrote:
Borovets has a lot of high beginner slopes so would be a good choice.

And after queuing for around an hour to board the single, rather rickety gondola you'll get to them. That is, if it's not too windy for the gondola to run. . .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Check Bansko. Very modern (newer lifts that lots of resorts in the alps), snow sure and very reasonable!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dals, If your first ski trip is to Les Arc....strike Bulgaria off your wish list...now.There simply is no comparison,and you run a very strong risk of wishing you had returned to LA....whatever the cost! Les Arc is an awesome area and,having been many times,I would not hesitate to return there. Its just a bit of a shame the French finances are a bit screwed at the moment wink No1 son has just gone out there for the season(Peisey),but he's being paid to be there(not jealous!).

Andorra is an excellent choice. Big area,now its linked,excellent snow record,cheaper than most other destinations(not that anywhere is actually 'cheap').Been a couple of times and enjoyed it. Son went a couple of seasons ago,on a 'severe' budget...a 'pizza & beer from the supermarket' style holiday.Loved it Toofy Grin Don't rush to book though. Set aside a week outside of kids hols etc,and you will find a bargain.Andorra is one of those that often features in Travel Agents windows,and prices will tumble as the date gets closer.

Or....just be flexible on destination.Its so easy now to check out places/snow conditions etc.If you spy a bargain,5mins on Google and you will know most of what you need to know.

And finally rolling eyes ,you don't say if you can actually ski(though I guess not?). If not,get yourself to a snowdome(or,at least.a dry slope),and learn.Assume you are an adult,so do a 'learn to ski in a day' thingy. You will be amazed how quickly you can pick up the basics...and it gets yer back bottom planting stage out of the way Toofy Grin I have said this so many times,do not waste the first half(or all)of your holiday learning to ski! Do it now,you will reap the benefits on the mountain. Have fun snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Set aside a week outside of kids hols etc,and you will find a bargain

This is good advice, but if headed to France, avoid the first half of March which is busy with French school hols (don't make the classic mistake of only thinking about British school holidays). The third week in March is a fantastic week to go, though and if you are flexible you should find a good last minute bargain.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have been to both Bulgaria and Andorra in the last two years and highly recommend Andorra over Bulgaria. I went to Borovets and Pas de la casa and I am returning to Pas next year! The ski area is great and it is just as cheap as Bulgaria really.
ski holidays
Dals, Sorry,should have made the hols thing a bit clearer. pam w is correct, though,if considering Andorra,its only really the Brit dates you need be concerned about
latest report
Dals,

My first (post 1990s) skiing experience was Bansko (late March) and it was on the whole a very very positive experience.
OK accommodation, excellent food (yes really and it was cheap) and some good pistes for less experienced skiers. OK admittedly, there are only 70km (probably a slight exaggeration from the brochures) of pistes and there is a possibility of queues for the gondola (didn't affect us), but there was snow and good weather and excellent lessons. The whole kaboodle didn't cost much more than £500 including ski hire, lift pass, flights, hotel and 6hrs of lessons per day for 6 days which included a fair bit of off piste through the trees skiing - a great way to learn and I learned a lot very quickly! The piste down to the main town is great fun and includes a half way pub in which we picked up 2 beers and 2 (pretty awful) white wines for less than £5... Just avoid the toilet... All in a all great value... very cheap and cheerful, but would be limiting for more experienced skiers, so I probably wouldn't go back.

Would have to agree with a previous poster about having some lessons in the snowdome first... Good advice.

R
snow conditions
Bulgaria is so cheap its unbelievable, £550 all in including spends and we were out till 4 or 5 every night. Even had lessons and hire in that

It was ok as we were complete beginners (snowboarding) so didnt need much terrain which was good as there was naff all snow just a sliver of fake stuff on the one main run (Borovets) however it did snow on the last night so I picked up a pair of skis and had done the whole resort by lunch time including all the closed runs so if your not a complete beginner then I wouldn't bother.

Also borovets to me was a resort to goto on a stag doo not as a couple as its loud and noisy and full of strippers / prossies. Think Magaluf on ice but with more strip clubs.

One other thing to think about is if your looking at the snow conditions on the webcams out there be careful as lots of them arnt live and show lots of snow when actually all there is is brown fields, I asked our instructor about that and he just laughed and said 'youd never of come if we showed you what was really here'

Andora could be a better option for you but Ive never been so cant actually compare
snow conditions
Dals wrote:
Hi peps

Looking at going somewhere cheap in March, Bulgaria is looking mega cheap. We are beginners as well.

Anyone been there firstly, and do you think there will be snow in March?

Places to go to or avoid?

Any feedback/help be fab

I'm going to Bansko in Bulgaria in March (already going to France twice in January, so have booked another wee cheap, hence Bulgaria). I have only ever been to Bansko in Bulgaria and wouldn't go to any of the other Bulgarian resorts as Bansko is the biggest. Bulgaria is always seen as the poor relation in the ski world but I thought Bansko was very good.

J
snow report
Snowskisnow i have been going to snowdome since June, attending every month to keep basic skills up.

I know Andorra wont, be as fab as France but just wanted a cheeky cheap one in the snow.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy