Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marry her... or do a season....?

Poster: A snowHead
That's season.... not seasonnaire!

First time in 8 years it looks like I'm not going to get a ski holiday in this winter. Absolutely devastated to say the least!I

We have family around Saint Martin and Meribel areas and I have been glued to the webcams for the last few weeks, staring at one of the best starts to a season ever. However, I get married next year and all spare cash is tied up in the wedding. All the money we need for the wedding is just sitting there... staring at me

I worked out the other night that I could afford to ski from January - April, staying in a catered chalet every week with the amount we have saved for the wedding.

This whole 'marriage' thing better be worth it!

~Mac
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mac22, quick trip to the registry office in resort - just you and her?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mac22, pre-emptive honeymoon. You know it makes sense.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rob@rar +1. I'm not going this year and I haven't even got a good excuse
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar wrote:
Mac22, pre-emptive honeymoon. You know it makes sense.

Makes perfect sense to me!

My thoughts = Cheap wedding, 6 weeks in Alps

Her thoughts = expensive wedding 1 week in whistler

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You should only be getting married once. There will be many ski trips.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Surely 1 week in Whistler is worth a couple of weeks in the Alps.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mac22, are you sure she's the right one for you?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
How did you get yourself into this mess??! Lol! You sure she couldn't be convinced to do a mountain wedding? Some lovely white ski gear out there...! Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mac22, weddings are cheap, compared to divorces Twisted Evil
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hammerite wrote:
Surely 1 week in Whistler is worth a couple of weeks in the Alps.

I'm basing that on what we have planned in whistler and the very bottom of the catered chalet market! Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jbob, Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
You should only be getting married once. There will be many ski trips....

...cancelled in years to come for reasons you don't understand. then you'll be posting another "Not skied for years, what have I missed" thread.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jbob wrote:

Well after paying for the wedding, she would get 50% of £0 through divorcing me!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
adithorp wrote:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:
You should only be getting married once. There will be many ski trips....

...cancelled in years to come for reasons you don't understand. then you'll be posting another "Not skied for years, what have I missed" thread.

Fortunately, she loves skiing almost as much as me, so I am hoping to avoid this!

Maybe if I buy a few extra lottery tickets this problem can be solved....
snow conditions
Any decent wife-to-be would say "Balls to the expensive wedding, let's go and live in the Alps for six months and get hitched on the piste" Very Happy

Although I note you say "I" and not "we" ..... !

Never mind, enjoy your big day wink
ski holidays
Quote:

Compromise? Nice but NOT expensive wedding, a week in a pretty hotel in Austria and a decent slab of money into the savings account for buying, or doing up, a house?

One ski holiday is neither here nor there in the wider scheme of things. However, joking aside, a failure to agree on priorities for spending scarce resources is a serious cause of marriage breakdown. Will you also have different ideas about buying new cars when there's really nothing wrong with your old one? (or for "car", substitute "kitchen" wink ). Or whether your beautiful new baby can possibly be seen out in less than a brand new version of the latest high-tech Baby Mover? Or whether to buy a new suite when you don't have money in the bank and have to get it on credit?

I don't buy the "you only get married once" argument. Sure, you want a super party with all your nearest and dearest, but that doesn't have to be a stress-inducing high cost competitive business. And it's your wedding too - some men just get frozen out of the whole thing and go along with it for a peaceful life. Not a good start, really. Spending many thousands of pounds only to find yourselves a few months later unable to pay for something essential, like a reliable car to commute to work, is madness in my book and I couldn't see myself ever shacking up with somebody who felt entirely different. Equally, someone who loves extravagant gestures and to hell with the future would not want to shack up with me. wink

But if you both share the same feelings about these things, then it is probably OK either way!

Casual observation suggests no correlation between the amount of dosh, and song and dance, and the happiness of the subsequent marriage. Indeed, in my family there seems to be a negative correlation.
snow conditions
pam w

Wow... that escalated quickly!
latest report
Quickie elopement (is that a word?) and wedding chapel in Reno, honeymoon in Tahoe. Easy. Extra bloke points for being married by Elvis/a stripper.
snow report
jbob wrote:

Yup
ski holidays
Mac22, seriously man? You already know the answer if you have to ask the question . . . she has you by the wee curly ones and unless it's her idea to slide the Winter away it's not going to happen . . . Not just that, you have the MIL problem . . . does the Dragon ski? Confused
ski holidays
Just make sure you get the snip before getting hitched, once children come along, the skiing really will stop
ski holidays
Mac22, "The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends upon it" Quote Lt. Ronald Speirs 506th Parachute Infantry 101st Airbourne 1944
ski holidays
pam w, you should write a book, you're wasted here wink

Sprinkle it with lots of anecdotes of how skiing is the answer to life and happiness, and I'll buy it for my wife for Christmas.

Finally a self help book you send to other people for them to read Happy
snow report
Quote:

Just make sure you get the snip before getting hitched, once children come along, the skiing really will stop

Laughing
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Compromise? Nice but NOT expensive wedding, a week in a pretty hotel in Austria and a decent slab of money into the savings account for buying, or doing up, a house?

How did house come into the equation?? Saving?? The boy is talking about skiing for a season...

It's a simple decision. Law of averages says you'll be divorced before the next decade commences. Think of all the depresing "she through a vase at me" stories you'll have to be telling over the ski tales you could have been telling....

Don't do it.....
ski holidays
Quote:

I worked out the other night that I could afford to ski from January - April, staying in a catered chalet every week with the amount we have saved for the wedding.

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
There is no such thing as a cheap wedding. If it begins with 'w' it's double the price.........

Just paid for daughters wedding, but still doing wengen and 3V this season 😄
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
An old Catholic priest once said to me "There are too many weddings and not enough marriages". Amid all the nonsense about dresses and attempting to plan the 'perfect' wedding do keep in mind this is about marriage, not just one day.

I'm not sure how much you were planning to spend on the wedding, but for a whole raft of reasons I'd suggest you keep it simple and relatively inexpensive. If that leaves enough for a skiing holiday, then great.
ski holidays
The best compromise I can think of is dramatically reduce the size of the wedding party and get married in a really nice hotel in the Alps with another week or two tagged on for the two of you to relax. Only 2-3 weeks of skiing but a great wedding and a fantastic memory all in one!
latest report
tangowaggon wrote:

We missed one year when the twins were born - we skied every year after that, including when Mrs B was 3-months pregnant.

Ski trips take more planning but they do not stop
latest report
Personally this one is no-brainer... cheap wedding and ski as long as you can. But it takes two to do this Wink I would have serious considerations about getting married if this would be happening to me, since obviously there's at least few issues before you even got married. I know people say that opposites attract each other, but I would say it's just a myth. You need to be compatible with your partner otherwise it just won't work out on long run. So personally I didn't really care about wedding, and luckily my wife didn't either, so we had short stop at registry office to solve formal issues (there were some other reasons for us two to get married, otherwise I'm not sure we would even bother), had nice dinner with few closest friends and that was it. Life goes on, just like it did before, ring on finger or no ring. So noone of us had any wish for some huge expensive thing (and not even that money would be an issue) with 100s of people who you don't know, or even better, who you can't even stand. But, as I wrote, it takes two to do this. Wink
latest report
HoneyBunny wrote:
Any decent wife-to-be would say "Balls to the expensive wedding, let's go and live in the Alps for six months and get hitched on the piste" Very Happy

QFT - are you really sure she's your life partner? Let's look at the evidence - you post on sHs. Conclusion probably not. wink
snow conditions
Mac22 wrote:
That's season.... not seasonnaire!

First time in 8 years it looks like I'm not going to get a ski holiday in this winter. Absolutely devastated to say the least!I

We have family around Saint Martin and Meribel areas and I have been glued to the webcams for the last few weeks, staring at one of the best starts to a season ever. However, I get married next year and all spare cash is tied up in the wedding. All the money we need for the wedding is just sitting there... staring at me

~Mac

Clearly, you need some sensible advice.

Tell her that skiing is so important to you that you want to get married on the slopes.

You are going skiing in January to scout for marriage locations.

When she chucks you, you will have solved a number of problems including still getting sex after next year.
latest report
Mac22 wrote:

~Mac

It's worth it. There will always be great seasons. Perfect partners are far rarer.
ski holidays
Mac22, why get married at all ?

Me and the Mrs were together for twenty odd years and had one set of twins before we eventually got hitched (twins were the bridesmaids) and that was mainly for tax and legal reasons (estates etc) as some cash came our way.

And it was damn fine bash as was close friends only & immediate family, no uncles and aunts cousins stuff and long lost Aunty Dorris etc and seem to recall the OH arranged it all in under two months!
ski holidays
Mac22, have you actually got a job that would allow you to spend January to April in the Alps, or is this a sulk about a hypothetical option that wasn't ever going to happen this season anyway?
latest report
Dot. wrote:
Mac22 wrote:

~Mac

It's worth it. There will always be great seasons. Perfect partners are far rarer.

ski holidays
Legend., Very Happy
latest report
Or just a weird way of telling the world your getting married and spending loads of money rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy