Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shin bang...need advice!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone!

The last few times I have skied I have had horrendous shin bang, to the point of having to stop early most days due to the pain. I use rented ski boots and always have done. I am a pretty good skier. My shins become so painful I can barely touch them without flinching.

I have a trip coming up and I am desperate not to let this ruin the holiday.

I know the number 1 advice is to go to profeet or solutions4feet but I have looked into/spoken to both options and as amazing as it sounds, I don't have that kind of money available for boots upwards of £250 plus £150+ fitting on top. So it isn't possible.

My questions are:
1. Is it still worth getting my own boots, even if i have to go to Ellis Brigham/Snow & Rock (advice on which is best also appreciated) as opposed to using rentals?
2. Has anyone used any products e.g. Shin shields, Ski Angels, Epitact with any degree of success?
3. Is it best to have boots tight or loose?! Most stuff I read says put them tight on day 1 but I find I am in pain before I have even clipped into my skis when I do this.

To be honest, any advice is appreciated, I really don't want a repeat of last time.

Thanks!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

2. Has anyone used any products e.g. Shin shields, Ski Angels, Epitact with any degree of success?

try booster straps http://www.skimetrix.com/
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shinnyshin, it just sounds to me as if you are being fobbed off with the wrong size of rental boots. They shouldn't need to be done up too tightly, they should fit reasonably snugly around your feet anyway. Keep trying rental boots (any decent hire shop should have lots of different brands/types to try) until you get a pair you are happy with. Obviously rental boots are no substitute for your own decent-fitting boots, so it's worth saving up for that in the long run. I bought my boots in resort so that I had the advantage of being able to go back for adjustments whilst I was actually using them and the fitting process didn't cost me any extra on top of the cost of the boots and footbeds.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I am quite used to shin bang. Happens mainly because the tongue of the boot does not fit well to your (probably thin and skinny) shin. Then you get friction plus rubbing between the sock and skin can blister the skin. I have seen the shin shields and I expect them to work quite well but I am quite happy using low cost protection: I get some felt patch and cut to size and tape to the shin. If you ski a lot skin shields might be worth it though.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've suffered with it for the past couple of years, I normally get it about day 3. I did take my boots back for a re-fit, but the store where I bought them from didn't have the adapter to heat the hot foam in my boots. The padding in the tongue has become creased, probably due to bad summer storage! I've tried various socks with shin pads without success, but then came across 'Ski Angels' they work a treat, and they're washable, cost about £20.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I suffered from chronic shin bang a few years ago. Bought a pair of Ski Angels and they helped with the problem and also got my liners and foot beds in my boots custom fitted and this also helped. Also bought a softer pair of boots rather than my usual 130 flex! Also, get ice on them as soon as they become bruised!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You will be more comfortable in your own properly fitting boots, EB at Tamworth did a good job for me and I think most of the snowdome stores will have someone who knows what they are doing, just make sure you find one of the fitters rather than general sales bods.
Decathlon also say they have qualified fitters in each store this year but again if you have a handy store find out who their fitter is and go and see him or her.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you everyone.

What would booster straps achieve?

I have saved up around £200 so I think I may get a pair of my own boots, i didn't know there were harder/softer options! Are specific makes of boots known to be harder/more flexible? Or does it totally depend on my foot and leg shape? As someone suggested, I do have very bony shins!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
With £200 I'd say Decathlon is your best bet, find out who the fitter is and go and see them. Tell them (honestly) about you skiing and what you want to do and let them do their job, take the measurements and suggest the right boot for you.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi all,

Thanks for the advice. Thought I'd update.

I ended up increasing my budget a bit, I couldn't quite get to the pro-feet/CEM price bracket, but gave me more flexibility.

First I went to Snow and Rock in Kensington. SO unimpressed. They just wanted to make a sale. Despite me saying I was a competent but not an aggressive skier, he put me first in a Salomon boot with 110 flex which was so incredibly tight and uncomfortable I could barely stand up! He then switched between low and high volume boots, and never really looked closely at my feet, although he did comment they looked 'fairly normal width'. I came away from there with a possibility, but wasn"t thrilled with the fit.

Then I went to Ellis Brigham, who were miles better. They spent ages looking at my feet, stance, pronation etc. They said my feet, especially heel was incredibly narrow and wouldn't even consider a high volume boot. I felt way more confident with them. I tried another Salomon (this brand is not comfy for me) and ended up with a Lange boot, with custom footbed.

Compared to rentals they feel incredibly snug fitting. At first this seems counter intuitive as I have shin problems, but I hear this is a good thing! I am trying them out at Hemel this week so will see how it goes. Very nervous I will still have issues after forking out the money!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Shinnyshin, my daughter sometimes suffered from this and has some slim green pads which helped a lot - I can't remember the name but I got some as "free samples" here on SHs some years ago. But she now has better fitting ski boots and the problem has largely gone away.

Yes, a snug fit is a good thing! As you got the shin pain so fast in the past you can presumably wear them for a few hours at home to see how you get on?

If you have hairy shins it might be worth shaving them. wink
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Haha, thanks Pam!

Totally hairless shins here! But Ill make sure they stay that way!

I might buy some shin protectors anyway just incase and take them with me. Glad to hear good fitting boots helped your daughter, I am really hoping this works for me, I love skiing so much and last holiday I was miserable.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi, hope your problem is solved, Ski Angels worked incredibly for me for ages and then I became allergic to them, now use womens panty liners as shin guards trick shown me by skiing GP friend. Just hope you never need Mountain Rescue
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had suffered badly from this with rental boots and then my old Salomon x-wave boots. Booster straps completely sorted the problem on the X-waves. I have now found more modern boots Salomon CS Falcon Pros, and Salomon Quest to have a much better design and snugger fit around the shins (for me), thus eliminating any shin bang. I still have hairless shiny shins - all year round! The boots should feel extremely snug, the less movement the better.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shinnyshin, you can also buy ski socks with padded shins - they've helped me. Slush & rubble do them
snow conditions
I too suffer from shin soreness. In my case, the skin breaks up into a cut. It is quite likely a technique issue. But ... Ski Angels sort it perfectly. I highly recommend them.
snow conditions
Well....I have mixed news!

I wore my new boots at Hemel to test them out. Overall the comfort is def better than rentals, much less banging around in the boot, and although I did get some sore spots on my shins, I didnt have the overall shin agony I am used to. However, the boots are SO snug that after 30 mins I began to get pins and needles in my toes and felt the blood supply was cut off. Really annoying and eventually painful, I had to stop and unclip to get feeling back. The boots are definitely the right size, I had a shell fitting and both places I went to measured me the same.

Is this something that can be fixed?!? I don't want to swap one problem for another. I am going back obviously to discuss this and the remaining sore spots.

The boots are so snug I can have them on the loosest clips and they are still tight enough.
These are my first ever boots so I just don't know what to expect, should there be teething problems like this?
snow conditions
Shinnyshin,

Wear your boots at home. No need to clump around in them, sit down and wear them in a bit - this may help. One thing to remember is that the liners will pack out, to a certain extent. If the same thing continues to happen then go to your boot fitter they will be able to sort it out. Could you have tightened them up too much? Can you slacken off the buckles with a micro adjustment mechanism? The buckles are often on threads and can be adjusted. It will be able to be fixed, and you can experience teething troubles like this, so do not worry!
latest report
If the boots fit properly, the slightest over-adjustment of the micro screws will give you pins and needles. If, as you say, they are tight enough on the loosest clips, then tighten no more than that, until the liners pack out or your feet bed into them, at which point a minor tweak should be sufficient to tighten sufficiently again.

Good luck!
snow conditions
Shinnyshin, This might seem stupid to some,but has anyone explained how you actually clip up a ski boot? You are looking for a firm,but not overly tight fit. Some people believe that all should be rock solid. That might be OK for a down hiller,but not for a days alpine skiing. You are looking for a fit that holds your foot,and esp your ankle,in place.The only place for any real movement is your toes,the rest should be snug. Put your boots on,adopt the forward stance,and check your toes can wriggle. If so,you should not be too far away?

"The boots are so snug I can have them on the loosest clips and they are still tight enough." Mmm,not sure about this.It does sound as if you have little or no room for clip adjustment?
Is it possible you are clenching your toes...a common problem when nervous. Obviously,this won't help. I think it possible your previous problems are not helping here.
In the end,you have paid a lot of money for fitted boots and,if they are wrong,go back. Many people have problems with new boots,so don't despair.Go back,stamp your feet,and get them to sort it. All will be well in the end snowHead
ski holidays
I forgot my ski angels, but found a fantastic alternative to providing padding against my shins, it was women's panty liners with wings, sticky side to your shins they provided great comfort. Got a bit of stick from hotel staff and a couple of comments from some of the guests, but hey ho, my shins were well protected. Puzzled
latest report
enigma, that's interesting.
Quote:

Ski Angels worked incredibly for me for ages and then I became allergic to them

I was using Epitacts, which are excellent ( i had (mostly) gotten over this blisters problem with CEM fitted boots and epitacts), but thought i'd give the ski Angels a go as a), thinner, and b), larger and shaped for the shin etc. Strangely, I also became allergic to them after a while - odd. Never, never, never a problem with the Epitacts which uses 'Epithelium' - an established bio-compatible medically used silicone gel used quite quite extensively in foot treatment aids.

Have just received Shin Shields. See how i get on with those but expect to upgrade my 3 year old Epitacts to the Sidas Shin protectors for skiers - again, they use 'Epithelium' as the gel.
snow report
Shinnyshin,

Generally, it is not unusual to go back for sort out minor niggles after a boot fitting after an initial ski.
Quote:

the boots are SO snug that after 30 mins I began to get pins and needles in my toes and felt the blood supply was cut off

However, i am a little surprised that on the loosest clip setting you get pins and needles in i assume both feet!
I'm 100% what snowskisnow, says... and feel i have to emphasize that it is important the way you buckle the boots.
It will get sorted - be persistent.
ski holidays
Shinnyshin, it's especially important that the clips on the top of your feet are not too tight - there's a blood vessel there which can be constricted/
latest report
and another thing - until your boots bed in a bit, wear the thinnest socks. I only have room for one very thin pair of silk socks inside mine.
snow report
Plus, the liner WILL pack down after a few all day sessions. Make sure that your heel is really tucked back into the pocket before doing any clips up. On my boots, I often have to micro-adjust buckles during the day, as Peterkct said, just one turn is the difference between secure comfort and numbness for me at times. I'd keep on with thin socks, thicker pairs add very little to warmth, but do mean your feet can feel a little loose.

Having to unclip after 30 minutes can be fairly common for the first few days in the new pair of boots. The liners will need to adjust to your foot shape a little, plus your feet do toughen up as they are just not used to the constriction of the boot. I used to suffer badly from front shin pain, moving to stiffer and much lower volume boots helped me no end and I very rarely have any discomfort these days.
ski holidays
This might be ridiculously obvious, but make sure there is nothing between your shin and the tongue of your boot except your sock. I frequently have to explain to people, even those who have skied quite a lot, that the elasticated gaiter thing inside the legs of their ski trousers goes OVER the boot, not under it.

Re. the pins and needles, don't panic, they will go over time. Wearing your boots at home definitely helps break them in.
snow conditions
Thank you all SO much.

I was wearing very old fashioned thick socks, I will definitely swap to thinner ones and see if it helps, along with wearing them at home a bit. I do also plan on going back and asking the fitter about it. I can wriggle my toes but they still went numb after 30mins in the boots.

I will update.

Btw I have now tried shin shields and noticed no benefit whatsoever. I wonder if one of the gel options would be better.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd wait for a few more days skiing before trying anything apart from thin socks. Once the liners have broken in and you have experimented with various buckle tensions e.g. loosen one a turn and tighten another, then look for something else.
latest report
Shinnyshin, When you did the fitting... what socks were you wearing? If, you were wearing the 'shop' supplied socks, usually these are a medium thickness (never seen really thick socks for fitting boots) and if subsequent to the fitting ...

Quote:

I was wearing very old fashioned thick socks

then, this might just be a fair reason for the initial (so far) discomfort. This ties up with your comments about the buckles are now on the loosest setting and the boots are still too tight.

Must be very thick socks!
snow conditions
One of the visitors to my Belgian friend's apartment was a very determined complete beginner skier who admitted to having very sore shins when we met for some lunch. He had awful, thick, ribbed, woollen, socks on and the ribs had worn gullies into his shins. Shocked
snow report
I wear the thinnest socks a firm makes. I only wear medium thickness socks for touring and that is due to the more relaxed fit of touring boots and the fact that essentially I'm hiking in them. As said above, you want a smooth uniform area where the shin padding is, not a load of material which will irritate the skin under pressure.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 14-12-13 1:55; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Try a pair of race socks, then as the liners pack down over weeks you can always switch to a medium thickness one.
snow report
Watch out - don't overtighten.
As someone said above - there is blood supply along the top of your foot - and I think a nerve too. One season I lost all feeling in my right big toe which took months to return.

Also mentioned - clenched toes. I don't suffer from banged shins, but I have had slightly sore shins from rubbing. I think I ski on the ball of my foot - hard to do with clenched toes - so this helps load the ski properly and so it dosn't need pressure on the boot tongue to flex it.

You will need to do lots of work on your hamstrings though !

(My thoughts as an engineer - thick socks will allow the ski to move much more before meeting resiliance on your shin = bang. Thin smooths socks will load your shin immediately and smoothly.)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy