Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who are the best piste-bashers?

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondering if you think all piste bashers are created equal. e.g. Do you think the French prepare a better groomed run than the Austrians etc...

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 26-11-13 20:44; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Off piste?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My original phrasing, affected by the "spell" checker, was rubbish. Edited original so hopefully it now makes sense.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It does indeed make more sense, although putting the question in the 'off piste' forum still does not wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Laughing
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
It was supposed to be on piste, goddamit. I am really piste off. Can somebody move it?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
just change the title to 'worst' - job done
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My fellow Scots are the only piste bashers who can simulate unpisted snow after piste bashing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Saskatchewan farmers grooming in Alberta
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Juddernaut, never been to an Italian resort yet that doesn't provide you with the white equivalent of a new Kermit Autoroute every morning.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Masque wrote:
Juddernaut, never been to an Italian resort yet that doesn't provide you with the white equivalent of a new Kermit Autoroute every morning.

I have found the same. In cricketing parlance the Eyeties seem to always produce a belter. I have come across some pretty pathetic grooming in France and Switzerland.

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 30-11-13 17:07; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Why would you want groomed pistes? Where's the fun in that.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
under a new name, It's early morning on your third or fourth day, your legs have recovered from their initial lactic acid shock, your head on advice from your liver made the choice to have an early night the evening before. You've had your skis waxed and the edges touched up because you confused the difference between slightly off tuned kit and a severely ill prepared body. You're on the first lift and the sun is shining at a sweet low angle, you can see every dip and rise kissed and missed by its crisp light . . . And all you have to do is point your tips downhill and let your edges do their magic . . . bliss Madeye-Smiley

Then you can go play in the crud and death cookies.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Masque, i don't think you are quite ready for the Inferno...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Masque, your vision sounds OK to me. wink The Italian grooming is presumably destined to enable us all to "fare la bella figura" which is, after all, pretty important in those parts.
snow report
Well there is a guy from a tiny ski resort down the road from us (Hautacam), who has won best dameur in France three times in a row..; Yes there actually is a pisting competition every year! http://www.ladepeche.fr/article/2013/03/31/1595464-sebastien-ramon-decroche-3e-titre-champion-france-dameurs.html And as for French vs the rest, they have to being good at covering up and making things look better than they really are, just ask Hollande.
snow report
Skiing in Kliene Schidegg last season introduced me to beautifully groomed pistes that I'd not encountered before, at least not to the extent that it seemed that every piste was groomed every night.

While it was nice, I did find it start to get a little boring towards the end of my stay there, and I would have welcomed an occasional mogul field or a bit more variety.
latest report
There has always been a high level of corduroy when I have skied in Canada.
snow report
Zurs and Lech have had incredibly well groomed pistes when I have visited.
latest report
Italians by far are the best in Europe
ski holidays
Spyderman wrote:

This

Lots of places in the US & Canada there would be a riot if too much got groomed plus some cat drivers are probably smoking crack judging by the 1 ft steps I've seen between passes on occasion.
ski holidays
US East Coast resorts do a pretty amazing job with what amounts to crap snow (aka "man made" and "frozen fog"), with Okemo often leading the charge.
snow conditions
Every single place I've been, the reps / chalet owners, have said their resort is one of the best, superbly pisted resorts. So Italy, Switzerland, France and Austria are all the best (although I think comparing by country is not right, but by resort might be).

IME, they're all much the same. But Austria seems to be the only one that might put a basher up 1 slope during the day to repair a heavily used area.
latest report

Baqueira. Always. In case the King of Spain decides to drop in.
(This is my 80 yr old mother there earlier this year, taken mid-morning. Still plenty of corduroy left!)
snow report
Of the countries I've skied in I'd put the order as below, with Italy the run away champions

Italy
Switzerland
France
Slovenia
Austria
snow report
In my, slightly limited, experience I would have said Italy is best.
snow conditions
Courchevel 1650. Although the teams of men, all called Jeeves, dressed in bow ties and white jackets going down behind the basher smoothing it all out with toothbrushes are the real reason its so damn fine, dontya know.

The worst:
Meribel where they inevitably seem to be able to leave a 6 inch edge between subsequent passes.
La Rosiere where they bashed it at 5PM as soon as the lifts shut and it was all still soft. Leaving perfect corduroy for that first run in the morning.... made of concrete. Skullie
latest report
Courchevel1850 and in particular Suisse when they get around to it...

Here it is groomed to within an inch of its life, made for the perfect 1st run of the day with Junior Ansta1.

http://youtube.com/v/ttyF2rujBrY&sns=em
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On balance I would go with the Italians as best, Swiss and Austrians, and French worst - but obviously not all resorts.
ski holidays
mozwold, In my experience certainly the Italians bash their pistes the most followed by the Austrians. I would not say the best however. The French and especially the Swiss (in Verbier they leave one connecting run completely natural) are by far the best in that they leave much more of the piste alone.
snow report
The best piste bashers are the ones that have vertigo and leave the blacks alone
snow report
Yanks in smaller resorts often have it down to an artform! little bit of pride, no huge time pressure and you can't see where one track ands and the next starts.... obviously on the other hand they leave anything steeper than 30 degrees they just leave to develope VW sized moguls.

Austrians can be insanely lazy but again I think it depends on the time pressure each driver is under (some of the runs in mayrhofen are simply terrifying!)
snow report
Australians... by a mile. They often have only a few centimetres to play with and still manage to do it without digging into dirt.
snow report
I was really impressed with Soldeu in Andorra - every piste I skied had been bashed overnight (admitedly I was a beginner so didn't do masses of runs!). It was a shock to the system when I went to VT and found out that not all pistes are bashed every night!
snow report
I am confused why would you groom snow Its more fun the other way Twisted Evil
snow report
Handy Turnip wrote:
It was a shock to the system when I went to VT and found out that not all pistes are bashed every night!

As it should be - skiing should be at least a bit sporting rather than a tarmac commute. Fortunately traffic usually makes groom more interesting. Always interesting in spring when a substantially chunked up run has been refrozen overnight and people hit it thinking "it's a blue" wink
ski holidays
If by "best" you mean smooth, even and soft...
Spyderman wrote:

Probably "the best" anywhere? (since resorts in other continent typically don't bash even to the "standard" of europe)
ski holidays
I know it's not quite what you are asking but my vote has to go to the piste basher who rescued me (and hubby) from Red 16 in Mayrhofen, when all the lifts had stopped, a stranger had gone off with my skis and I vowed never to ski again! He didn't speak English, we don't speak Austrian but he gave us a lift in his piste basher and reunited with my skis. A real hero!
snow conditions
fatbob wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:
It was a shock to the system when I went to VT and found out that not all pistes are bashed every night!

As it should be - skiing should be at least a bit sporting rather than a tarmac commute. Fortunately traffic usually makes groom more interesting. Always interesting in spring when a substantially chunked up run has been refrozen overnight and people hit it thinking "it's a blue" wink

Completely agree, it was just a shock to the system as it was all I knew at that tme. But I agree if all the pistes were bashed it would get pretty boring for everyone.

Although I always thought it would be good to know which pistes were freshly groomed that morning - at least that would give people the choice (especially as a newbie it's nice to relax on a nicely groomed run)
snow report
Quote:

Soldeu in Andorra - every piste I skied had been bashed overnight

By far my biggest gripe about this resort, we ski there every year, a friend has an apartment there and its great for the kids so it's a cheap 1/2 term hol for us
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy