Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Arc'teryx

Poster: A snowHead
General opinions....is it worth the money?

Quite like the designs of some of their gear, was wondering what people though. How does it compare to say the likes of Norrona?

Cheers.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Basically the best option you can get, better than Norrona in my opinion, absolutely awesome gear!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Legend. wrote:
General opinions....is it worth the money?

The gear is good quality and entirely practical, but I wouldn't usually consider paying the price premium over other brands which also offer excellent kit. Same for Norrona. If you're willing to pay big bucks for their fit and finish, then I'm sure you'll be happy enough, but their kit isn't magic.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What brands would you consider to be equal in terms of quality of product?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lets ask a more important question here, which is "what are you actually looking for?"
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ha. It was more general actually, however I quite like the down jackets they currently are selling Cerium LT.

http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=Mens&model=Cerium-LT-Hoody
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Everyone and their dog have a lightweight small-baffle stitch through down top these days. I personally rate PHD and Mountain Equipment for down gear, but there are literally dozens of interchangeable manufacturers when it comes to this particular kind of item, and Arcteryx are not really any better or worse than anyone else.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I swapped my Arcteryx Sidewinder SV for a Norrona Trollvegan last year. Arcteryx edge Norrona for out and out quality and clever design. Norrona gear is also excellent quality gear, but with super cool Scandi styling. Arcteryx can tend to be functional, but a bit boring.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Arcteryx is also pretty bomb proof in my experience very hard wearing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Patagonia and Rab also make some very good down jackets
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IMO Arcteryx and Norrona are worth the money for the extra attention to detail and design. TNF, Mountain Equipment etc are very similar in terms out technical specs, but don't aren't cut quite so well, and things like cuffs aren't so beautifully perfectly designed.

You can usually pick them up at significant discount around June...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
clarky999 wrote:
...very similar in terms out technical specs, but don't aren't cut quite so well, and things like cuffs aren't so beautifully perfectly designed.

There's limited scope for perfect design on the Cerium's (or indeed any of their down jackets') cuffs wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I got my arc'teryx sidewinder on here for £100 brand new... 4 years later and after a lot of abuse it's good as new. Have been looking at norrona recently and find that the scandi brand fit my tall slim body much better... The arc'teryx is a bit baggier made and shorter arms.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have found that ME's cut recently is really good and suits me well. Of course you may find one brand fits you better than another so try various, I don't think it's as simple as "Arc'teryx has a great fit". You'd struggle to find a bad jacket from any of the top brands.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Same as above, really. AT certainly have the edge on out-and-out quality. Norrona/Haglofs a close (but noticeable) second. I prefer the fit of the Scandi kit - Norrona jackets are cut slightly longer than AT and seem to fit me better around the chest. Horses for courses though I guess.

I'd ignore the mega-expensive brands for mid layers: Rab are significantly better value IMHO at 20% - 30% cheaper than AT et al. Their synthetic down mids are excellent - well featured and well cut. Perfect, that is, unless you're after uber-mega-mega lime green schizzle snowHead
ski holidays
I long for the first sighting of Arcteryx in TK Maxx
snow report
red 27 wrote:

I suspect they work quite hard at preventing such things from occurring.
ski holidays
Serriadh, I suspect you are are right. But I still long for it - oh the schadenfreude...(sp)

It's been quite sweet to hear of Marmot and Spyder in there this year so I live in hope
snow conditions
I am a Haglofs gal. I just like their colours and designs (or I did when I bought my jacket-this season the colours are pants). Not seen anything by arcteryx that I like more-think they're a bit boring!
snow report
Serriadh wrote:
red 27 wrote:

I suspect they work quite hard at preventing such things from occurring.

Reminds of the rumour that Abercombie and Fitch paid The Situation clown from Jersey Shores not to wear their clothing. Smile
snow report
Arc are hemp sandals.
Norrona are Skittles.
Patagonia are hemp sandals made by Gucci.

I could go on but at this price point it's about cut, style and colours more than there being any real difference in functionality.
ski holidays
Serriadh, I've been told that they occasionally get Arc'teryx for really cheap in Costco in the US... be nice if we got that to.
latest report
red 27 wrote:

Bought a Patagucci Powder Bowl jacket in there for £100 3 years ago - then it got nicked!!
snow conditions
Legend., I've just invested in Theta bibs, Gamma hoody and Cerium LT hoody. Let's be clear, these are the dogs!!!

The attention to detail on the cerium, not just the cuffs but the strategic placement of down/synthetic is what sets this apart from many other brands offerings.

From a fit perspective whilst this will obviously be subjective, the way these products are cut and shaped, and the subsequent way they perform (for instance when stretching but the arms don't ride up Shocked ) defies belief.

There is no escaping these are premium products and as such are not cheap, but if it's what you are looking for they will not disappoint Smile
latest report
I don't know why exactly, but I'm not keen on Arc stuff.

Fit wise; I guess tall and skinny; go scandi gear. A bit more porky; go for US gear.
latest report
Haglofs #1, Arc #2, Sweetprotection #3..........not sure about Norrona, some quality issues
latest report
Markymark29 wrote:
....not sure about Norrona, some quality issues

Really? I've not heard such. We have a few pieces of Norrona, I can't fault any of it. In fact, my Narvik Warm3 jacket is the defo the best fleece jacket I've owned. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Mosha Marc wrote:
I don't know why exactly, but I'm not keen on Arc stuff.

Fit wise; I guess tall and skinny; go scandi gear. A bit more porky; go for US gear.

Big difference between Patagonia and Arcteryx cut though. I love Patagonia kit, but it just doesn't fit me at all; cut like a box.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm guessing a lot of opinions on here reflect fit rather than quality?

I have a 10 year old Gamma xx softshell that has seen guess 200 days skiing plus being worn for everything else for maybe 500 days. It still doesn't need replaced. Doesn't look quite new but does what it's supposed to.

I don't think anything else I own, clothing wise, has that mileage.
snow report
My Arc Stinger shell has seen maybe 200+ ski days and still in perfect nick. It is black and does not seem to have faded much at all. No problems with zips or seams. Great to wear and the da' bomb in bad weather. Is it worth the money? Yes, for me it definitely is worth it.

I bought a pair of Norrona Narvik shell pants last year. Very comfortable. No gripes about performance. Too early to rate longevity, but am I happy with the purchase. Yup!
snow conditions
Just an afterthought, Mrs uann has an Arc shell which she loves that has about 120 ski days in and which actually does still look like new.
latest report
andyman wrote:
The attention to detail on the cerium, not just the cuffs but the strategic placement of down/synthetic is what sets this apart from many other brands offerings.

Strategic placement of synthetic? Ahh, marketing wink

Combining synthetic and down seems like a silly idea. Treated well, down will last for a hell of a long time. Synthetic microfibre will not, no matter how much you baby it.

Arcteryx do interesting things with their softshell and hardshell offerings, but their down gear is pretty middle-of-the-road, bar the pricing and branding, of course. Also, did you just enthuse about elastic cuffs? Seriously? That's going beyond brand appreciation and turning into Stockholm syndrome...
snow report
I have an Arc'teryx Sabre jacket and pants that has seen active service most winter/early spring weekends for the last 4 seasons. It is still as good as new, has a great fit and flexes in all the right places. The sizes are on the large size though......I'd normally be a Large (5'11", 90 kgs) or even an XL on some clothing, but for Arc'teryx I'm a medium.

I made use of the Snowheads EB discount and tax free export to drive the price down a bit, but even so I'd say it has been excellent value for money.
snow report
Quote:

Ha. It was more general actually, however I quite like the down jackets they currently are selling Cerium LT.

http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=Mens&model=Cerium-LT-Hoody

£260 is a lot for pub wear that, as Serriadh says, is offered by every brand under the sun for a cheaper but comparable product.....
latest report
As I think I mentioned, I am a person who likes attention to detail just like Arc'Teryx and hence choose their products, it might therefore follow that someone less so inclined might have different criteria in choosing a brand.

Serriahdh at no point did I say 'combining', on the contrary the two are kept separate to ensure particular qualities of each are maximised. (To grasp this concept think of a ski as being made up of more than one material; the sum of the parts ..... And all that wink )

'Did you enthuse about elastic cuffs?' tut tut there you go again! But as it's a question, no I didn't. If you re read what I was referring to was the cut of the clothing (subjective again but widely accepted as the standard to aim for)

Stockholm syndrome? Isn't that more closely related to Haglöfs or Norrøna wink

Must rush off to find my Rab shell and Hestra gloves - 'but their not Arc'Teryx?' I hear you cry .... There'll be a reason for that Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
andyman wrote:
Serriahdh at no point did I say 'combining', on the contrary the two are kept separate to ensure particular qualities of each are maximised. (To grasp this concept think of a ski as being made up of more than one material; the sum of the parts ..... And all that wink )

The two materials are combined on one garment. That's combination. The manufacture's design involved combining.

The combination involves adulterating a perfectly good down jacket with shorter lived materials, 'fixing' an issue which I don't even notice with my down gear. But it does have the advantage that the jacket costs less to make, and must be replaced sooner wink

andyman wrote:
'Did you enthuse about elastic cuffs?' tut tut there you go again! But as it's a question, no I didn't. If you re read what I was referring to was the cut of the clothing (subjective again but widely accepted as the standard to aim for)

Okay,

andyman wrote:
The attention to detail on the cerium, not just the cuffs but

rolling eyes
snow conditions
I think this has already been said but there will be no functional improvement buying an Arcteryx down jacked (like the one you described) over any other alpine brand, but it will be more expensive. For this specifically I would consider Haglofs or Rab.

I rate Arcteryx ski gear in general, and own several shell jackets/trousers. I've found them to be very hard wearing; I've skiied 100 days in them and they still look good, they resist tearing when I've invariably got carried away in the woods and had run-ins with the trees/branches, and have washed and re-proofed very well. They're nicely designed with well thought out pockets/hoods/cuffs/powder skirts and they will last you a long time if you look after them.
snow conditions
One more thumbs up for the brand. I'm very happy with the Arcteryx items I've got. Yes they're expensive but are very robust ... as others have said. Sizing is a little on the large side but then so am I Smile

If you ever find yourself in the Vancouver area they have a factory store where it's possible find some amazing bargains. My gf picked up a nice softshell for $40. You probably have to get lucky though as a lot of the stuff wasn't that heavily discounted.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy