Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Job Advice :~/

Poster: A snowHead

I'm Desperate to work in a ski area in the 2014-2015 season, I will be 18 and it will hopefully be my first season of working in a ski resort. Would appreciate any advice on where to look for jobs, the best company's to work for and what if any qualifications do company's look for when hiring people out. Also what jobs are the best ones to apply for.

Thanks Smile [/b]
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi scookie

Are you looking at working on the slopes or in a bar/restaurant? or even as a rep?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
and also where are you interested in working, if you were interested in Austria, I can advise you greatly
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't mind where or what job, as I have no previous experience working in a ski resort, so would consider anything or any resort. Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
where do you normally go on holiday? that's always a good start, that's how I started working in a ski resort, you don't need any experience in a lot of ski resort jobs, most season workers I come across are first timers taking a gap year.

Are you going on a skiing holiday between now and the time when you want to start working? I was your age when I first started, so I know first hand how daunting it can be!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I normally go on holiday to the French Alps been going since I was 3 so know how to ski quite well. I shell hopefully be going skiing again later on this season, but not sure where yet. Do you need any qualifications to get a job out there, such as the chalet cooking courses. And do you need to speak a foreign language?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I took a risk with my first place (hadn't even heard of the resort when I found the job listing), but found it to be amazing, so don't get hun up on the big resorts.

You need to ask yourself a few questions - do you want to go mainly for the skiing or for the apres? That'll help narrow down a few resorts.

Also, if you want to work in a bar/ restaurant/ hotel/ chalet company, don't turn your nose up at the 'bottom' jobs as sometimes these can be the most fun and give you a lot of time on the slopes. I was a housekeeper and got more time on the slopes than a lot of my colleagues (although weekends were a nightmare). Then again - hosts and chefs ended up getting tips and we just had anything that had been left behind in fridges, etc. (Companies do operate different policies on tips though... we were just at a company that didn't split them between staff).

I'd start looking on places such as natives, ski-jobs & season workers... sign up for their newsletters as well. These can be really useful for tips and also early listings on potential jobs.

Good luck with the hunt though! You've plenty of time!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ok thanks for the advise i shell look at these sites now Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It helps if you speak a foreign language, but if you go to a resort that has many English speaking tourists like Meribel, or in Austria Soell is very popular with english speakers then you should easily find work without a language.

What I found best was to ask around while in resort and see what they can offer you for next season. Your level of skiing is irrelevant unless you want to teach skiing, but then you need a qualification (A BASI would be good for France, its a one week corse and costs you around £500), and the answer to the question do i need a qualification? is yes if you are doing anything skilled such as cooking and so on, but if your pulling pints or cleaning up you don't require a qualification.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ok I shall ask around if I go skiing this year. Where would you say the best resorts to find work are, and with what company's.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Like I said before, I can only help you with my area in Austria, but I'm sure there will be someone on here with experience of good french resorts. I would avoid any travel company jobs (Holiday reps) they work very long hours and get paid very little. Not much chance to go skiing either, 1 day off per week
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
as long as you can boil and egg and operate a broom you're pretty much qualified to work a season.

its not an overly complicated task and as your looking so far into the future you'll be able to pretty much decide what job you want and were you want it. I'd decide on a resort based on what type of skiing/snowboarding you like to and do from there!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Where in Austria would you say is good?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i'd kill to go mayerhoffen and spend the season in the penken park!!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A place called Soell (The ski area is called Skiwelt) near me is very English worker friendly, if you look on this website https://jobroom.ams.or.at/jobroom/ you can find season jobs there, but its in German, so I don't know how you would cope searching!
snow report
haha I'm sure google translate will help me out Smile Thanks
snow conditions
good point! Smile

But I would advise that you at least create a shortlist of jobs that you would like to do, and put them in order of best to worst, so that you have some sort of direction in your search. Take advantage of your time scale and find a job you would be happy with.
ski holidays
Will do thank you for the help/advice. Smile
ski holidays
No problem, good luck!
snow report
I would suggest that you email your CV/enquiry to every company, decide on where you would like to spend the season, show them that you are absolutely committed to spend a season promoting their business, looking after their clients to ensure the customers have an awesome experience & you will get the offers.

Our son aged 17 is going out next year, he went to the Manchester ski show, introduced himself to lots of exhibitors & what he came away with was get a qualification, so he is going to get on a cookery course next summer [which will cost circa £500] but all of a sudden it gets you in the spotlight.

Whatever you choose to do good luck, enjoy the experiences.

Michael Blush
ski holidays
Depends what you looking to get out of the season. Do you want to ski as much as possible? If so, get a job with low pay and less hours, you'll be on the slopes all the time. If you have visions of ski instructing in the future, don't waste the £500 on a cookery course, put it towards your BASI level 1 - don't get any illusions though, that means nothing much in a resort, it's just the first rung on the ladder. My personal goal is to get my BASI 2 within the next couple of years and then work towards my BASI 3 whilst instructing, if possible. You won't get anywhere near working as an instructor in France for years though.

As said though, that may not be your goal.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy