Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne in late March

Poster: A snowHead
ok ok ok, before I start, I know no one has a crystal ball, but I'm still going to ask this anyway...

What sort of snow conditions (generally speaking, best and worst) could we expect to get in the last week of March in La Plagne? I've only ever been skiing in January/February and have been very spoilt with excellent conditions. We're thinking of booking for a week from 23 March 2014 and would like to get a feel for what sort of conditions we could face? We're both early intermediates - strictly on piste blues and reds for us!

Any experiences greatly received - please keep the saracastic mystic meg comments to a minimum if at all possible!

Cheers,

Chris
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
La Plagne is snowsure and has more than 70% of it's ski area about 2000m, as well a glacier area so you will have absolutely no problem skiing there at the end of March. Only the crystal ball can tell you whether they'll be powder . . .
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chopkins13, I've been in late March and it was lovely and hot and sunny.

They do an amazing job of keeping pistes open, although lower ones were just ribbons through the otherwise grassy slopes.

By mid afternoon there were puddles on the slopes, and in the morning things were very icy - Spring conditions as they say
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Plus they have snowmaking to keep the links open to the Vanoise Express and the lower villages. I've stayed in Les Coches at 1450m in a blistering hot April (from 10th approx) and we could still get about. And as Snow and Sunshine, there is plenty of high terrrain to go at. At 23rd March I would still expect on piste conditions to be good whatever and sometimes you can get some really great conditions at that time of the year. Can get slushy later in the day so don't push it and pull a muscle, or take a tumble Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hmmmm talk of puddles on the pistes has me a little concerned! We're looking at staying in Plagne 1800 - puddles up as high as this possible in an average year at that time?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We always go at Easter and over the last 10 years or so can only think of two bad years in Montalbert which is 1450. The stream that gave rise to wet patches in 1850 has been put into new pipes and is now not a problem. As others have said there is an ever expanding network of snow cannons, March is rarely a problem these days.
If it's sunny take some factor 30 sun lotion, for some reason it's twice the price in France!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
chopkins13, well you asked about worst cases - and that would be worst case. Unlikely, but possible if it's very warm, which means snowmaking is irrelevant. By the end of March a few years ago just about all the ski areas in Chamonix, for example, were closed. But that was the worst in absolutely ages. Generally late March is an ideal time to ski.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boredsurfin / Pam w, many thanks for your thoughts, I'm a pesimist by nature so naturally fear the worst! March this year sounded fantastic.

I guess I'm just worried that it is 'likely' that there will be a lot of ice/puddles/slush around which would make it very unenjoyable for early intermediates, or worse still, dangerous!

Any final thoughts before we sign away and book up?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
chopkins13, Yep, why 1800? Why not Plagne Soleil, Plagne Villages or Belle Plagne all of which are 2050m it would be a really unique year for there to be ice/puddles/slush up there and all are probably better connected than 1800! We were up above Soleil in early August this year and there was still snow in the shadows!
Although expect a price premium.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 25-11-13 14:27; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We've found a Chalet that takes single room bookings in Plagne 1800 with availability that week - looks really nice (log fire etc) but doesn't cost the earth. Have stayed in Plagne Soleil before but didn't see many chalets.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
chopkins13 wrote:
Boredsurfin / Pam w, many thanks for your thoughts, I'm a pesimist by nature so naturally fear the worst! March this year sounded fantastic.

I guess I'm just worried that it is 'likely' that there will be a lot of ice/puddles/slush around which would make it very unenjoyable for early intermediates, or worse still, dangerous!

Any final thoughts before we sign away and book up?
Yes - stop worrying and JFDI!
You are going to one of the biggest and best ski areas on the planet at an ideal time of year. Just make sure you do the trip to the Aiguille Rouge and back - and post up a report on the forum naturally.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Silver ski ceratinly had Chalets in Soleil. Here it is http://www.silverski.co.uk/chalet-topaz-la-plagne/

A Google search for Plagne Soleil brings up other companys as well.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 25-11-13 14:36; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
chopkins13, Unless you are incredibly unlucky, it will be fab. I wouldn't worry for a single moment about poor snow conditions then. Spring 2010 was probably the worst season I can remember and even then we had great skiing, early April, even down to 1600m. It didn't always look pretty, (except for all the alpine flowers and grass), but the pistes were still in good condition. Seriously, in anything other than a disastrous year I really wouldn't worry for a second.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chopkins13, bear in mind that "chalet" sometimes means a floor or two of a larger building which might look more like an appartment block or a small hotel from the outside. For many UK companies the term "chalet" refers more to the chalet board package than it does to the building.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Foxtrotzulu - I'll hold you to that guarantee of fine conditions!!!!

agw - The chalet we've found in 1800 is indeed a stand alone chalet - separate building etc etc, it was something we were keen on when we set out to find something.
latest report
chopkins13 wrote:

agw - The chalet we've found in 1800 is indeed a stand alone chalet - separate building etc etc, it was something we were keen on when we set out to find something.
I was referring to your comment about the lack of chalets elsewhere in La Plagne.
Anyway - have you booked? Will you come back here with a TR so we can all say "told you so"? Very Happy

PS
Make sure you get at least a "Decouverte" pass so you can go over to the Les Arcs side and back one day - it's a great feeling to travel that far on skis.
snow conditions
Just to confirm - 2010 was the year I was there in March (20-24th) and the puddles were down near the Vanoise Express and over towards Les Coches where I was staying.

Cracking holiday, great skiing and then relax in shorts in the late afternoon with a beer or 11 on the chalet verandah.

I now ALWAYS go somewhere in the 3rd or 4th week in March and if I only had one trip (perish the thought Skullie ) this would be it.
latest report
agw - Discussing comments with the other half tonight but signs are positive for booking tomorrow!!! Noted on the Ski Pass - we're actually staying in an apartment in Plagne Soleil with some friends for a week in January so will definitely try and have a day scooting over to Les Arcs - my previous trip to La Plagne was as an absolute beginner and for only 3 days so Les Arcs wasn't required that time!

red 27 - see above, we're being greedy here and having a second week in March after a week in January! I think we're getting addicted to this skiing malarky! I'm comforted by your comments re always going in late March, and in particular that the puddles were way down towards Les Coches - the trees probably hold the heat a bit better down there so it melts quicker - that an the altitude difference of course.

Thank you one and all - the forum has come up trumps again and convinced me to part with more hard earned cash for another skiing holiday!
snow report
Stayed in a Silver Ski chalet in 1800 at easter 2003. Very warm but could ski in and out from the chalet everyday. On the last full day of skiing they bulldozed away the lower part of the piste in to 1800 from Plagne Centre so had to walk the last 50 yards to the chalet.
ski holidays
chopkins13 wrote:
the forum has come up trumps again and convinced me to part with more hard earned cash for another skiing holiday!

Good call snowHead

And I bet next October you'll be back on here saying "we've got our Jan & March trips booked but are thinking of having a cheeky pre-Christmas break too - what are conditions like then... wink
latest report
chopkins13 wrote:

So if the chalet is on the 'top road' (just below the main road upto the centre) then consider your route home as follows: -

Stop for a sun-downer at the arpette restaurant above bellecote (under the arpette lift funnily enough)
when you're done ski down into bellecote and take the bus back to 1800
get dropped at the end of your road and walk back to chalet.

Did this in Feb about 3 years ago - much better than walking up the 9999 steps from the lift station, or trying to 'drop-in' onto your access road from the piste.

plus the view's not too shabby either

snow report
Quote:
Thank you one and all - the forum has come up trumps again and convinced me to part with more hard earned cash for another skiing holiday!

Funny how often that happens wink Smile
latest report
Red27 - I've also got a 3 day skiing trip partially booked (airmiles flights + car hire) for a lads only trip in first week of Feb! Skiing holidays are taking over my life and finances at the moment - but I love it!

Bertie Bassett - you know the place well, that is indeed where the chalet is located so your idea sounds excellent - not used the buses before but I believe they're free, regular and run later than last lifts so that sounds like an excellent way to extend the days skiing and finish with a beer in hand! Love the picture!
snow report
You could be as lucky as I was many years ago. A very hot week in Val Thorens in March with fast melting snow did not bode well for La Plagne at Easter. The Snow Gods did the biz though (snowing at 500M that year) it snowed for virtually 24 hours a day for the full week. Daily fresh powder 2 foot deep no where pisted at all. Down side being parts of the resort where closed due to the high avalanche risk (heard continuous blasting) and skiing in a white out/powder daily got a bit frustrating.
ski holidays
chopkins13, if you've only ever been in Jan / Feb you will need to get used to spring skiing. It is warmer and more pleasant, but puddles on pistes not uncommon in the afternoon, and in my impression La Plagne seems to be prone to them notwithstanding altitude. It is possible many of the black runs will be closed if you are into that. But if you get fresh snow it'll be great
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy