Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste Guide in Les Arcs

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

Can anybody recommend a good off piste guide in Les Arcs?

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't know specifically but Laurent at http://www.skischool-valdisere.com/ is good and used to live in Bourg St Maurice when I knew him, so should be available.
Some of the Top Ski and Alpine Experience guides who operate from Val d'Isere probably live in Bourg or near it (Laurent originally worked for Topski), so you could try them perhaps.

I gather New Generation ski guides operate in Les Arcs. I have not had personal experience of them but someone on here recommended them.
Evolution 2 ski school do Helicopter drops from Les Arcs with guides so probably also do normal guiding (you would have to ask).

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 25-11-13 14:46; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The ski Club of Great Britain usually has ski leaders in Les Arcs, I understand for their off piste day a local qualified guide is provided.
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/skiresorts/skiclubleaders.aspx/Les-Arcs#.UpNTuyrIakw
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK here are the Les Arcs Tourist Offices. http://www.lesarcsnet.com/les-arcs/tourist.html . Click on one and then on "ski" at the top, and then "guides" and they list them.
Personally I have only skied Les Arcs with Chris Harrop (originally English) who lives up the road near Ste Foy. He is good but only does it part time for fun now because he has a lucrative business building and renovating chalets. I shall be skiing with him with a group of friends in March.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys, I skied with a guide called Laurent last year at LP thru Oxygene, I can remember his surname. I will try some of these guys and compare the rates, I am over for the season so would be good to do a few days with guide and understand the mountain. Hopefully not like my last guided day in Verbier where the guide got us lost in the trees near Siviez and we missed out on skiing backside of Mont Fort....gutted!!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Fishmongatti wrote:
Thanks guys, I skied with a guide called Laurent last year at LP thru Oxygene, I can remember his surname. I will try some of these guys and compare the rates, I am over for the season so would be good to do a few days with guide and understand the mountain. Hopefully not like my last guided day in Verbier where the guide got us lost in the trees near Siviez and we missed out on skiing backside of Mont Fort....gutted!!

Pop a pm across to Snowcrazy or post on the weather thread. He skis les arcs a lot every winter and knows lots of the off-piste
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
bertie bassett +1. Yes absolutely, he is the snowheads authority on the place.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Where will you be staying, Fishmongatti? Will you be getting a "chicken pass"? I can explain if you don't know what that is. Presume you have avi gear...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bobski62, we are sating in Le Berard. Got all the avi gear etc, absolutely no idea what is meant by a 'chicken pass' mind you! Explanation might be required....
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Le Berard... Hmmm. How are you journeying to the lifts each day? Feel free to pm me, as I will be out a fair bit in Les Arcs again this winter, and now and again will dip into some more adventurous off-piste inc. some day tours.

The chickens in question are Tetras Lyre - lyre-tailed black grouse. A large part of the off-piste in Les Arcs (the NE flank facing towards Villaroger / St Foy) forms a nature reserve to protect them (it's a hibernation and nesting ground) and out of bounds without a pass (or guide or instructor). If you like what you see once heading down it with a guide and want to return, it's worth getting along to one of the regular lectures to get the pass, along with any like-minded skiing buddies. Enforced by gendarmes with binoculars levying heavy fines, btw.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bobski62, was planning on driving up to either Les Granges and grab the funicular or dump the car in 1600. Was planning on trying to get to a number of the nearby resorts whilst there. Bit new to touring unfortunately and my set up is more suited to short skins (fat skis, stiff boots, Marker Barons etc!).

I noticed the nature reserve, no doubt it would have some excellent skiing. Last thing you want is a hefty fine! Where abouts are these lectures held, BSM presumably? Will need to check it out in the first few days after I arrive!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Fishmongatti, hope the daily commute does not get too tedious. Handy that you will have the car. I am similarly minded on the touring front - it's as much about accessing intersting stuff as touring per-se. I tend to hook up with a friend in Tignes for that. Your season pass will give you two free days in Espace Killy, 3V and St Foy, btw. I think the early season discount may be ending very soon so best dive in if you have not bought your pass yet (but hold off if you are working, as better discounts are available).

The lectures are held in 1600 early season then Villaroger later. They will post up the dates and times on the boards that mark access to the reserve (eg opposite Lanchette lift, Grand Col lift). If there is a gang in Nancroix that want to do it I will probably offer to drive them over and can let you know. You will need a photocopy of your passport, a small ID photo, French SAE and about €7 (they will accept cash on the night). It consists of 2 hours of dense French with a slide show that basically says: "it's a nature reserve, you can only ski here, here and here, oh and there's avalanches"...

Here are a couple of links that might be handy (some blurb and last year's dates). They are not super strict with the paperwork/form filling. But they do have a real passion for what they do.

http://www.villaroger.fr/Doc/Aff-seances-hab-2013.pdf
http://www.villaroger.fr/reserve-naturelle.html
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fishmongatti, I'm also out in Les Arcs for the winter (staying in Peisey). If you do find a guide and want people to share the cost, let me know as there's a good chance I'll be interested! I have a similar setup of fat skis and barons.. Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
... now I think of it, ditto.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Personally I wouldn't ski most of that steep stuff on the back of the Aiguille Rouge without a guide anyway. (There is a gentler bit at the West end of the North face - near the Villaroger piste - or by skiing over the Grand Col which is a very long route requiring a guide to route-find).
However there is good off piste outside the reserve area too plus the whole huge La Plagne off piste area now combined by the linking lift.
There is a lavish book detailing the off-piste of both areas called Les Clés de Paradiski (http://livre.fnac.com/a6564663/Didier-Givois-Les-cles-de-Paradiski )

Ste Foy is certainly worth a visit too.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 29-11-13 19:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
If anybody fancies splitting the cost of a guide I would be very keen to get involved. Might need a few days to find my snow legs again but hopefully that should take too long! Also, got the car with me so if anybody fancies a day trip then I would be more than happy to drive!
snow conditions
Hi Fishmongatti - I have PM'ed you.

Hi snowball - I hear what you say. When the mayor's son was killed a few years back in this area, I remember comments along the lines of "this side of the rope it's Disney Land; the other side it's the wild west". And yet, and yet and yet... there must be a compromise to be found between relying on a guide for ever, and learning some moutain craft to use with like-minded friends. It's a toughie in every sense. Probably the subject of a separate thread!

Great book. Likewise the other two. Especially impressive the way they fit in your back pocket for easy reference! wink
snow report
snowball wrote:
bertie bassett +1. Yes absolutely, he is the snowheads authority on the place.

Obvious question hopefully, but are you insured with snowcrazy if off piste?
snow report
bobski62 wrote:
And yet, and yet and yet... there must be a compromise to be found between relying on a guide for ever, and learning some moutain craft to use with like-minded friends. It's a toughie in every sense. Probably the subject of a separate thread!

Well yes. Though on those routes I would want to go with a guide at the very least the first time - and with the very steep ones over 40º I'm still not sure I'd go without. That area is notorious for avalanches (often the traverse from the Grand Col crosses multiple avalanche tracks from that area). Having done it twice I might do that route in favourable avalanche conditions - if I had a permit.

I am interested to note in my own behaviour that I would be much more likely to do Scottish routes without direct guidance. Is it just that I feel I"m at home? (Will I feel differently if Scotland goes independent?)

Quote:
Especially impressive the way they fit in your back pocket for easy reference! wink
Very Happy rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy