Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Smelly Gear!!!

Poster: A snowHead
Okay in preparation for our first SKI holiday I've started to purchase layers. In a trial I wore the base layer and mid layer to watch the football.......unfortunately when I came home my arm pits smelt like a marathon runners jock strap...not pretty. You'll have to trust me when I say that I don't normally have issues with BO (I normally smell like a fresh bath with rose petal bath foam). What's going on? Is it all this man made fibre or have I bought the wrong gear? Anyone help (go on be honest).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Synthetics base layers can really hold odor. On the other hand, it is claimed that Merino won't, and for the most part, I would agree. However, it's not foolproof.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
OK....common problem with synthetics - particularly the original Helly Hansen - which was known as 'Smelly Helly' - the original was spun polypropylene if I recall. Synthetics can have this nasty effect - sometimes the cotton/poly mix does it for friends. So...yes, for you, wrong gear. The openness and texture of the weave can have an impact - I find that a more open, textured weave is better. I have a Mammut polyester (close weave) which tends to get smelly quickly, and a Lowe Alpine polyester which doesn't (coarse weave). Most people now swear by merino wool, which even after a couple of weeks at altitude doesn't smell...ie two weeks of climbing without chance to shower. Crusty perhaps (yeuch), but never smelly. I use Icebreaker a lot, and currently on sale in a number of places - eg buy 1 get 1 half price at 2 Seasons.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 24-11-13 21:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
magd36, You're not alone, my Odlo smells like cat wee wee after a couple of days. But a quick rinse and it's always dry by morning so no matter. My worry with merino is that if it does itch then that's a lot of money spent on something I can't wear
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
magd36, Yes, another vote for Icebreaker merino and you will continue to
Quote:

smell like a fresh bath with rose petal bath foam

We use it on long snowboarding trips and find it totally pong free.

Edit: and itch free. Not all merino is the same grade.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 24-11-13 22:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Or Aldi merino which will probably appear in the next couple of weeks!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
magd36, I have a lot of Quechua bases that smell a bit after a day, but only get worn for a day so no biggie. I have a handful of Peak Perf ones that are treated and don't smell after 2 days.

Merino itches like merdery.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
magd36, I've only got synthetic ones, some of them are manufactured with some kind of (silver?) treatment which has anti-stink properties. I've one or two that would do a week with no stink, and didn't break the bank nor do they itch. Aegis, Aegeon or something like that on the tag?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Merino wool is really good because it contains a natural antibacterial agent that stops it smelling.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
PJSki, yeah, but it's sooooo itchy!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Not if you buy the right merino it isnt!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't find the very thin merino (which I use as the base layer nearest the skin) itchy and it definitely passes the pong test with flying colours.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
You could try a base layer with Polygiene - it's got silver salt impregnated into the fabric which is supposed to eliminate odor-causing bacteria.

an example http://www.blistergearreview.com/gear-reviews/mountain-equipment-eclipse-hooded-zip-tee
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name wrote:
PJSki, yeah, but it's sooooo itchy!

you have washed it first right? Made a massive difference in itch for me...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davkt, mishmash, ice breaker and yes, washed
snow conditions
I wear icebreaker no problem, guess it is a personal thing though as me and middle daughter like the Aldi stuff, Toastertalby says that is too ichy.
ski holidays
magd36 wrote:
In a trial I wore the base layer and mid layer to watch the football.......unfortunately when I came home my arm pits smelt like a marathon runners jock strap...not pretty.

Er, did you just say that you wore a brand new item of clothing once, for a few hours, and ended up with horrendous pits? I don't wanna jump to conclusions here, but I'd be hesitant to blame the fabric. Unless you were so hot you were literally dripping in sweat, perhaps?

Synthetics get unpleasantly stinky after a good bit of use, and well used synthetics tend to get stinky much more quickly or hold the smell after washing (something to do with synthetic fibre surface chemistry attracting and holding the sort of stuff odour-causing bacteria thrive on). This doesn't just happen in an afternoon! Was this second hand gear or anything like that?

cad99uk wrote:
another vote for Icebreaker merino... itch free. Not all merino is the same grade.

Not all skin is equally sensitive. I don't wear any merino, none of the kinds I've tried have felt at all pleasant, yes, even after washing. Synthetic base layers with antibacterial treatments are just as warm and smell-resistant as merino, but also tend to be harder wearing, hold less moisture, keeps its size and shape better, and are non-irritating.
latest report
As a completely left-field suggestion... do you actually NEED a base-layer? My wife and daughter feel the cold, and wear baselayers, tights, and two tops underneath their jackets and salopettes. Whereas I don't feel the cold as much, and wear nothing under my salopettes, and only a long-sleved T-Shirt under my jacket. I do have a set of cheap base-layer that I've had for the past 14 years, and they have travelled in my rucksack on each Ski holiday (usually NewYear or Feb) and never been worn once.

If you sweat that much, maybe you're a "warm-blooded" type and don't even need to wear it?
snow report
Agreed, I've skiied for 26 years now and have only used a base layer for the last three and for no other reason than I had a pretty empty christmas list and it needed filling up.
snow conditions
Quote:

Whereas I don't feel the cold as much, and wear nothing under my salopettes

Eeeeew, I hope you turn them inside out half way through each trip.
snow conditions
I wear a Canterbury warm base layer, can be a smelly guy after exercise but that seems to sort any smells out.
snow report
Icebreaker merino is incredible stuff. I've not tried other brands so can't comment on those. No smell, no itch and toastie warm. Perfect.
ski holidays
I noticed you can now buy Vanish with added antibacterial stuff in it. http://www.vanish.co.uk/products/vanish-oxi-action-extra-hygiene/vanish-oxi-action-extra-hygiene-powder

It looks like its been designed for people who wash at 30 not 40, but could be worth a go?
latest report
Icebreaker is fab
Agree on the Aldi one, bought some for my kids last year but a bit scratchy so they just wear a vest underneath it. Had some beautiful merino stuff for howies if you want to invest, I use mine for running too so almost justifies the cost.
latest report
I have no problems with the HH tops, and I've only had to use a base layer on my legs twice over the past several years or so. Also, don't use fabric softener with them as it can interfere with the wicking properties.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Mon 25-11-13 19:49; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Let me guess it was a HH top, they always stinck after 5 seconds. Just change to a better brand and problem gone
latest report
swiftoid wrote:
Quote:

Whereas I don't feel the cold as much, and wear nothing under my salopettes

Eeeeew, I hope you turn them inside out half way through each trip.

And back to front /YoungOnes
ski holidays
There's a reason God created cotton, wool and other natural fibres. I'm pretty sure that when he put crude oil on his list of creations he wasn't expecting us to wear it.

Seriously, I am always slightly baffled by the way people kit themselves out as if they were trekking to the South Pole. With the exception of a few days in Jan/Feb I don't see any reason to wear anything different from normal clothes. Cotton shirt (tie is optional), woolly jumper and and ski jacket. If it's a really cold day (below -10 or thereabouts) then add a vest and a pair of Long Johns.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Do you still have wooden skis?
ski holidays
My icebreaker base layers have come in very handy this week - no heating in my house! Skullie
latest report
homers double wrote:
Do you still have wooden skis?

snow report
Ikea tealights and flower pots - heating for 8p/day.

Cotton gets wet. Wet and cold don't mix.

Never really had an issue with polyprop. or other synthetic. Icebreaker is pretty good (ought to be at that price), but after years of synthetic, it feels heavy. I tend to bring that out on the days when it's -28.
snow conditions
Lidl ski gear in stock from Thurs 28 November.
ski holidays
I can get a few days wear out of my ice breaker merino with very little (if no) smell. I have a Helly Hansen (dry I think it's called) which works great but if I've been sweating then the smell becomes awfull very quickly! I use my synthetic base layers for gentle days where I know I won't be sweating (or when I know I won't be around others) and save the wool for the hard days!
ski holidays
When washing my base layers, I wash at 40 and throw in a little bit of Napisan powder which is an anti bacterial steriliser used for cloth nappies. Does the job perfectly.
snow conditions
Just wondering whether the sprays you can get for smelly trainers might help. I have never tried them on clothing, but they sure do help with trainers.
snow report
magd36 wrote:
Okay in preparation for our first SKI holiday I've started to purchase layers. In a trial I wore the base layer and mid layer to watch the football.......unfortunately when I came home my arm pits smelt like a marathon runners jock strap...not pretty. You'll have to trust me when I say that I don't normally have issues with BO (I normally smell like a fresh bath with rose petal bath foam). What's going on? Is it all this man made fibre or have I bought the wrong gear? Anyone help (go on be honest).

After many years of using thermals I tend to concur with most of the contributors, sythetics do smell - I still have helly hansen kit that I wear when caving,they are many years old but they do smell like an old tom cat (my OH assures me that it not me that smells like an old tom cat even if the lable fits). I add my vote for merino, and if you are all worried about the cost of investment - Icebreaker is great but very costly. Decathon do some merino baselayers at a very good price (which we have used to good efffect on our hulking sons) and I think other SHs claim good results with the Aldi merino kit. You can also sometimes get icebreaker at TK Maxx at a good discount, but it does fly off the rails. I have also tried bamboo and silk baselayers - the bamboo is ok, although does pong after a while and the silk too, while feeling nice on the skin, does take up a lot of body odour. I am having success with a combo of merino baselayers and Brynje mesh tops so far in the cold cycling - can report if this works when I get to ski again in 27 days (not that I'm counting) Smile
ski holidays
Thank god, I thought it was just me. I never pong, but I do after skiing, my base layer is 100% man made, so that cheers me up.
snow report
Ian Kenvyn,
Quote:

Icebreaker is great but very costly

Yes, but if treated with care, seems to be virtually indestructible. I've washed and washed and washed mine (at 40 in the washing machine, with only a light spin.)
ski holidays
[quote="Ian Kenvyn"
Icebreaker is great but very costly
[/quote]

Depends hat you class as costly.

I've had one of mine for 3-4 years and it must have done 8 weeks skiing, so the £70 it cost is now less than £10 a week. Usually rotate 3 base layers through a week.

Looking at it that way it's not expensive.

I've also worn it playing gold and when in seriously cold countries so it's pretty good value if you ask me.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy