Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere on the cheap?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone,

I'm off to La Rosiere in December to work as a chalet host for Crystal. My parents and grandparents are looking into coming over for a visit (as they can't bear to be without me for 5 months-ha!). They don't ski/have no interest in this, however, and only want to come for a few days at the end of January, Saturday-Weds if possible. Can anyone recommend any cheapish ways of doing this? Thanks! Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lindzy202, welcome to snowHeads Very Happy

Well as they won't require lift passes it should be relatively easy to find some cheap accommodation at that time of the season. I have been there a couple of times but cannot recommend short stay accommodation - someone who can will be along I'm sure.

How are they getting out there? Don't forget the transfer/taxi price on top of the flight price (and remember that Geneva is quite a way by road, you might want to look at one of the closer airports). They could travel by train to Bourg St Maurice? Then 30 min drive up to La Ros.

What are they going to do when they come to see you? Are they up for snow-shoeing etc
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@marmotte16 hey!

Yeah, it seems to me that accommodation isn't really the issue- it's the transfers! They seem fairly up for driving from whichever airport- swinging more towards Lyon at the moment as it's a good compromise- a little more expensive than getting to Geneva but it seems like an easier drive for them. Have looked at the snow train but its MUCH pricier than flying/only goes on weekends so no chance of a cheeky mid week break.

With regards to activities, who knows! They might have a go at ice skating, but I'm trying to find somewhere with a pool/jacuzzi or something as well.

In conclusion, the main issue is travelling to la Ros, not the accommodation when they get there....
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lindzy202, driving themselves up sounds sensible and better value. Plus obvious benefit of being able to use car (snow permitting etc etc) to go and do the shopping for you wink as well as get out and about. Les Eucherts (Cimes Blanches complex) has a small rink, bowling, nice pool/spa. Pleasant walk through the forest from La Ros central or easy drive. No idea though where that would be in relation to you.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lindzy202, Try Hotel Le Relais du Petit St Bernard for accommodation and take the train to Bourg St Maurice, only 23kms away go to www.petit-saint-bernard.com and SNCF's website for train information. If you look on www.larosiere.net you'll find more details of hotels, unlikely that you'd be able to rent an apartment or chalet space for less than a week even in low season.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys Smile if anyone else out there has any tips I'd love to hear them!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lindzy202, if they are happy to hire a car and drive themselves it might be simplest to stay in Bourg St Maurice, and drive up to see you. If they are completely uninterested in all things snow-related, there's more to do in BSM (which is not saying a huge amount) and probably easier to find a hotel for a few days. Even if they would like to do some walking, or snow-shoeing, it would be easy to do on a day trip.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I think that sounds like a good idea. My parents were already thinking that actually going to Bourg might be a better idea than staying in a ski resort when they don't want to ski! Now then, any cheap car hire companies that will kit out cars with snow-battling equipment? Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lindzy202, just don't get involved in fixing drains for a fee (very old SH 'in-joke') wink

Good luck
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
lindzy202, hire from the Swiss side of Geneva airport and the car will have snow tyres. They should also get chains, which should be included but aren't always - need to check, and ask if not.

If you rent from a French airport you would need to pay extra for winter pack.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm not sure there would be more to do in Bourg than La Rosiere Confused Unless I'm completely missing something....

I find the drive up and down from La Rosiere a PITA but that's probably just me (look at the repetitive small intestine type loops Toofy Grin ). I (personally) would prefer to stay up there and enjoy mountain air with occasional trips down the valley as required Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lindzy202, La Rosiere is a bit of a schelp from Bourg to do it every day. Which accommodation are you working in? I'm not sure how easy (due to it's size) getting non-standard Sat-Sat will be. Maybe once you've got your feet under the table you'd be best asking the in resort team if they can get them in somewhere and possibly get a deal?

I found La Rosiere to be bloody expensive to drink out, not sure if you'll get rep deals. This was 2008 I was there and it was £7+ a pint outside of happy hour. Surprising as it's such a small resort so I expected lower prices. Crystal also have properties in Les Eucherts which is roughly 10 mins away from La Rosiere centre (walking). You'll find the better skiing on the Italian side but there's the benefit if the weather is bad on one side it will likely be better on the other.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy