Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morillon GM Half Term week

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm after some advice please......We have a chance to use a friend's apartment at Morillon Village half term week 2014 for pretty cheap price but I know nothing of the area. The apartment is at Chalet des Pistes in the center of the village and seemingly from the map is only a few minutes from the nearest lift which is a gondola to access the wider area. We are not fussed about ski in out if the snow doesn't allow and are happy to download at the close of play.

How busy would I expect the area to be in half term week, I see it collides with Paris Half Term? Not sure yet whether we will take our two children (13 & 7) or maybe just go the two of us to celebrate my wife's 40th birthday as a surprise trip. Either way we would likely drive down rather than fly dropping kids possibly with family en-route.

Anyhow I would appreciate any thoughts on the place from those who know. Many thanks in advance of replies Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jirac18, Morillon is nice, if not small, village, and this should be factored into your decision… There is not a great deal that goes on in Morillon, from memory, except for a few restaurants and 1 decent bar, Bon Coin, which is at the bottom of the main telecabin… If you have a car though it shouldn't be an issue as you can hot foot it over to Samoens which certainly offers a lot more in the way of alpine charm, vibe, and generally a bit busier… (bars and restaurants)…

For the ski area, well, it's h/t holidays… I don't think you'll escape the crowds anywhere you go… Of the 2 villages (samoens and Morillon) I think MOrillon has the better access and will get you across quicker… It also has some lovely runs coming back down to Morillon 1100…

The GM is quite busy in certain places that always bottleneck (Tete de Saix and Down to Flaine), however, I don't think you'll need to worry too much about horrendous queuing… Just try to not come back down to the villages throughout the day, or alternatively, ski through lunch and take yours after… (or before)…

Hoep you have a top time anyhow… Smile

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sun 24-11-13 18:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The four man chair, sairon which you get after getting out the gondola from morillon village is rather queue prone and a bit of a scrum at half term, there are other ways up, just they are much slower.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok that sounds okay then. We will defo have the car and have in the last hour or so decided the kids coming too so we won't be needing wild après just the odd quiet evening out. Unfortunately that means the surprise is out of the bag as mrs jirac had to be involved in the decision. Embarassed

I imagine it will be a fair bit busier than we are used to as we have never been half term before but hey there is a price to everything and I'd sooner go when its busy than not at all. (mind you we are also going to Les Saisies over Christmas) so very fortunate to have access to a very cheap apartment for half term too and Mrs J is so chuffed at skiing a second time for her birthday! Big brownie points for me Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
carroz, just looking at the piste map, which other routes would you suggest. Sometimes I prefer to travel further and keep moving rather than stand and queue for excessive periods of time
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jirac18, If you can help it… Once you're up an in the GM, just don't come back down, if you can help it… I know this is not always possible but, esp seeing as the Sairon run is a nice run… But try to just stay up in the hills, and you'll be fine… Smile

The GM is an amazing place to be and is poss my fave area in the alps...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AlpineAddict, excellent getting excited about it now. I have never skied that area at all so it will be good to discover new resorts having taken the family to La Plagne the last two years. Certainly the piste map shows plenty of skiing without having to come back down to the village and lots of tree lined stuff which I love. Is it worth getting the GM pass to access Flaine too?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jirac18 wrote:
AlpineAddict Is it worth getting the GM pass to access Flaine too?

Yes, Yes, Yes!!!! Flaine offer some great terrain, not to mention some outstanding views of MB from the top… Personally, if you're out for a week, then you have got to get over to Flaine for at least 2 days… But IMO, once you go over there, stay over there… Decide to go there on a particular day (or 2) as there is so much over there to do, but you won't want to keeping trucking over there and coming back, then over again and coming back again… 2 days Flaine, and the the rest between the villages…

Also, Les Carroz is a gem, and has some really, really lovely runs… We found that when folk rush off to Flaine, as they think they need high stuff, Les Carroz can be abs empty… Which is perfect!!!!

Ball ache to get back from, but the cascade is worth a go if it is open… Just to say you've done it Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jirac18, There is a slow 4 man chair to the right of sairon as you look up the mountain, then at the end of that another slow 4 man chair (at the top of that is a nice restaurant) then down a short blue to a drag that takes you up to where sairon chair ends, or a bit further to a three man chair, (the end of which gives you an option to go down to lanche chair (which gets bad queues) which is the main way from morillon to tete des saix and then samoens or flaine).

if you want to ski in morillon those slower lifts are the lifts to use
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy