Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First family ski trip! where shall I start???

Poster: A snowHead
Hello!
We have just started to look at our first family ski trip. We are aiming for the first week in jan after the new year in 2015. Our kids will be 8 and 6 then. My husband and I used to ski lots but havent done since having kids. We are very excited!

So, where do I start???

We think we will probably drive so somewhere easy to get to in the alps would be great. Can anyone recommend any good resorts?

What about accommodation? We dont mind s/c and are on a budget but dont want to stay in something really rubbish. We always did catered chalets before but would rather our own accom without sharing now so prob wont go down this route.

Would want the kids in lessons so the ski school is a large factor.

Any help and advice to get me on the right track would be fab!

Thank you! Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
You could try Mountain Heaven and loom at their apartments in Montalbert. You will read mixed reviews here (mostly good). The apts are not luxurious, but we are pretty fussy and found them fine. Location is excellent, and Montalbert might be a good place for you. Small friendly village. Easy to drive to.

Then again, IMO, driving= France and...
France = small, cramped apartments.

We are a family of four, but rented an apt for 8 just to make sure Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On the apartments front when we have gone DIY we have always ended up using owners direct.

So worth a looks there. Our priorities were different as my eldest like me suffers from car sickness so we would never contemplate driving but booked early to get cheap BA flights to Geneva and then found some sure with a relatively short transfer. It's obviously different for you.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
breeze11, welcome to SnowHeads snowHead You have a PM
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowbizz at Puy st Vincent in france, selfcatering. The staff are great, small resort with great snow. Just put a search on here for snowbizz Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
You could try Mountain Heaven and loom at their apartments in Montalbert. You will read mixed reviews here (mostly good). The apts are not luxurious, but we are pretty fussy and found them fine. Location is excellent, and Montalbert might be a good place for you. Small friendly village. Easy to drive to.

France = small, cramped apartments.

We are a family of four, but rented an apt for 8 just to make sure Very Happy

I too, always book an apartment for more people than are going I always insist on knowing number of bedrooms, number of beds and number of bathrooms.

Driving with children is a good idea. If you accommodation is not a very easy walk to the lifts make sure you are somewhere with parking at the lifts. Take the car full of all the kit everyday to the bottom of the lift, unload then one parent stay with kit & kids whilst other parks.

Always keep snacks and drinks in the car, along with blankets, towels etc.

If you are prepared for a 10 to 15 min drive each day to lifts you will find a lot nicer accommodation for the price you pay, and frankly being within walking distance of the lifts is irrelevant with small children unless you are literally next door.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
one more thing, the ski school was the best for kids that we've used. We also went early Jan, my 5 year old was in a group of 2 and my 7 year old was in a group of 5 or 6. They really came on well. Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

France = small, cramped apartments

myth, propagated by people who have never looked beyond the TOs cheap packages with their fiddly "under occupancy" charges. You can rent whatever kind of apartment, at whatever size, you want, in an enormous range of resorts. If you end up in something cramped that's your own fault for failing to do your homework. French owners and agencies will invariably provide clear information on the surface area of an apartment AND the size of the beds. If you want a big apartment with three bedrooms and two bathrooms, no problem. If budget is tight and you are happy to use a sofa bed and rent a one-bedroom apartment, that's no problem either.

For the wealthy, no problem to rent a chalet with massage and cinema rooms, sauna, fancy artwork - and your own chef to minister to your needs, should you wish. But will cost you a lot of money.....

There are several SHs who have properties available to rent, from small but very well appointed apartments to whole chalets. And they are just the tip of an enormous iceberg. Especially in early January you will have masses of choice.

Snowbizz does sound pretty well ideal for your needs, though a bit further to drive than some. For your first holiday some help with child care will make things a lot easier.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There's a lot on here about snowbizz - you could do a search. IIRC almost all the reports are very positive.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pam w wrote:
Quote:

France = small, cramped apartments

myth, propagated by people who have never looked beyond the TOs cheap packages with their fiddly "under occupancy" charges.

+1 Very Happy
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some good suggestions as to where to go but I'd suggest where to start is sometime next summer by taking the kids to your nearest snowdome or dry slope for beginners lessons. They will have far more fun if they aren't spending the first few days of the hol sidestepping a few meters up the bunny slope for a 2 second ski. A snowdome or dryslope beginners course (and a few practice sessions after if possible) is plenty to mean they won't be in the absolute beginners class in ski school and will be straight on to doing some proper skiing straight away.
Plus for you and hubby where to start is now, mentally preparing yourselves for the fact that by the end of your second or third hol the kids will be better than you ever where and you'll spend the week frantically trying to keep up with them!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
breeze11, the time you are going you could probably pick up a package deal, half board catering and flight for a pretty good price, especially if you don't plan on cooking every day. With the age of your kids you might even get a free child's place. You'd probably be able to save on lift passes, equipment and lessons with a learn to ski bundle. Worth checking out areas that do free kids passes, don't look at mega resorts as the kids won't be covering a huge amount of ground.

If you are on a budget and can go off peak season, like you can, then I think there's a fine line between the costs of a package deal and costs for self travel/self catering - taking in to account fuel, channel crossing, tolls and especially if you like to occasionally eat out and not cook every day.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
At that age your childen have, it is most important for youe future ski-holydays, that they get the best possible start. Do not teach them yourself, but try to find the best skischool, who realy understand how to teach children.

It is not important where you go - only important that you children get the best start. Smile

There is a big difference between being 6 and 8, soo put them in different classes. Playing is more important for a 6 year old child then for an 8 year old child, the skischool should know that and plan for it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hyst, my daughter would have been most annoyed at six years old if she had to waste time playing rather than ski all all day!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
breeze11, I'd agree that lessons in a snowdome are an ideal preparation - but they are not cheap and if you're on a tight budget might be a step too far. Lots of kids start in the "beginners" class and they mostly have a ball.
latest report
Yep pam w, is right about the cost though lots of the domes do cheap offers through the summer and dry slopes are rather more reasonable on the whole!
ski holidays
davkt, we talk about childen who have never skied before, and your aproche to childen should adapt to the specific child, and children are different, so what is good for your child, may not fit for an other child.

By playing I of course mean a playful aproch to skiing - that does not mean only playing in the snow. Puzzled
latest report
Quote:

dry slopes are rather more reasonable on the whole!

but less user friendly - could put more timid kids off the whole enterprise.
snow conditions
At 6 Jnr loved skiing (his first week), but we always booked childcare for the holiday just in case. Then in the afternoons he had a choice, if they were painting or similar in the hotel he'd probably ski with us and we'd potter about up and down the nursery slopes. If they were building snowmen, having a snowball fight or bum boarding he'd much prefer to spend the afternoon messing about with other kids doing that so we'd let him.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Quote:

dry slopes are rather more reasonable on the whole!

but less user friendly - could put more timid kids off the whole enterprise.

But if its a timid kid I guess a dry slope would be lest intimidating than a bunny slope on side of a socking great mountain!
latest report
davkt, reminds me of my first experience on skis (very cold and icy December evening at local dry slope two weeks before our first trip) - it was hideous and would have put me right off skiing had we not already booked the holiday Laughing Nearly threw in the towel there and then when the instructor held onto my skis while in a snowplough..... Toofy Grin
So I would choose a nice sunny day for a first trip. Cold icy evenings are much more exciting once you have mastered the basics Very Happy
snow report
Wow! Thank you all so much for your replys! There is a lot of info here for me to work through.

Which resorts would you recommend in particular? Which are the easiest to drive to? I think we would prefer to drive but will certainly look into some package prices too.

On the subject of teaching the kids to ski before we go, I was a dry slope instructior for 10 years before getting married so the kids will def be booked into lessons on our local dry slope when this winter is over.

Thanks again for your replies. Please keep them coming! Very Happy
ski holidays
breeze11, Morzine, Les Gets or Chatel in Portes du Soleil area. Samoens, Morillon, Les Carroz, Flaine in Grand Massif - all reached 8-10 hours from Calais, depending on stops, weather etc
snow report
I would suggest Les Carroz which is one of the nearest resorts to get to.

It has a beginners area at the top of the gondola and some nice tree lined blues to progress to. It is also linked to Morillon which has some lovely beginner slopes too. If it is their first time your children probably won't be able to ski over to Flaine but from Les Carroz you could drive up to Flaine one day.

We were very impressed with the ESF in Les Carroz. We were there in a quiet week and they ran a group class for just our two children.

We have taken our children skiing since they were tiny and stayed in some lovely self catering apartments. Les Chalets de Jouvence in Les Carroz are at the foot of the slopes and there is a nice pool which your children would enjoy the first day or two if they were too tired to ski all day. If Les Chalets de Jouvence is beyond your budget there are some cheaper self catering places in Morillon - Les Esserts.

I'd also recommend La Rosiere and Montgenevre - both have very good ski schools and good beginner slopes, family friendly etc. but they are a longer drive. La Rosiere is best done by train if you live in the south east as you can get the Eurostar ski train to bourg st Maurice which is a short taxi ride from la Rosiere. The easiest way to get to Montgenevre is to fly to Turin - we have been by train but it is harder to book due to the change in Paris.

I'd recommend looking at Peak Retreats website for more info on the above. We have been with them lots of times and they offer self drive packages with the Eurotunnel flexi plus etc.

Are you sure you can wait till January 2015? snowHead snowHead
snow report
Quote:

Are you sure you can wait till January 2015?

yes, I was wondering that!
latest report
Haha, unfortunately its a case of having to wait. We got back from two weeks in disney world last thursday so need to build up the holiday fund again. (Please dont think we holiday like this all the time! Our last trip abroad was 9 years ago!). Very Happy
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Are you sure you can wait till January 2015?

yes, I was wondering that!

Just go now - with younger kids. :nice: For them. ;-)
snow conditions
Get some family ski brochures to whet your appetites and then google the resorts you fancy for self catering accommodation? Try Esprit or Ski Famille. Also watch the January Sales for ski wear for the kids..the ski stuff is always on sale a bit earlier than you'd expect - You'd think they would wait till after half term but they don't. Buy unisex colours for handing down and then accessorize. TK Maxx is good too if you can bear it. Also lots of online stores..I like outdoormegastore
Get your kids used to long car journeys, it's a 9 hour drive from Calais to Les Arcs/La Rosiere, for example, plus the UK bit. In-car DVD players have their uses!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All of the above is good. Other random thoughts:-
1) Modern base layers for kids are awesome bits of kit
2) My similar aged boys both liked their surfanic jackets and trousers which were well designed yet reasonably priced http://www.surfanic.co.uk/
3) Ecole de Ski Francais (ESF) have pretty mixed reviews, some resorts much better than others. We settled on Evolution2 in Tignes (and elsewhere) and they're fantastic with the kids
4) Consider the Eurostar direct service to Moutiers / Bourg as another stress free transport option
snow report
Quote:

In-car DVD players have their uses!

But not if your kids get travel sick, as this is likely to make it worse.

Can recommend audio books - stop every couple of hours for loo break and leg stretch - personally would make sarnies in advance, our kids never really got on with sarnies from service stations - I have no idea why!
ski holidays
Boris, Yes I agree. It's the green bits and the mayonnaise. Going green
snow report
snowyowl, it's teh bread they seem to hate, a lot seem to be with that odd sweetish bread they use. Plus as with all service stations sarnies they are dry as old bones.

Generally now we stop early on in day and buy fresh bread and cheese and ham - will then stop for lunch at a smaller Aire and make our own sarnies.

Appreciate this is huge generalisation, but practically everyone stops at service station for lunch at 12! So we try and drive through 12-2 as can be a lot quieter on the roads
ski holidays
Breeze11 - Can I suggest La Tania? Its a lovely little resort, good ski schools but with the whole of the 3Vs on your door step. I think a ski in/ski out apartment is also essential with small kids. There is nothing worse than arriving at ski school to discover they have forgotten their gloves/goggles/got someone elses skis etc etc. and you have to go tearing back to the apartments to sort.

The Pierre & Vacances apartments there are small, but you should be out skiing all day, not sitting in the apartment. If you go for a 4/5 apartment its quite bearable.

Good luck!
snow report
I agree with snowymum, Les Carroz is a great little town and the skiing is excellent. You have plenty of lovely tree runs as well. I learnt how to ski here so I might be a bit biased...Smile
snow report
Quote:

a lot seem to be with that odd sweetish bread they use

Ah yes, is that the pain de mie? Disgusting. I agree that using the long French lunch hour to do other stuff (be it driving or skiing) is always a good idea.
latest report
Why not Austria? The S/C apartments are excellent value for money and large! The food on the mountain is very good. The ski schools are very family orientated. The tourist board websites are generally excellent and that makes DIYing very easy indeed. I am off to Fieberbrunn on my first family ski trip for the above reasons. It also has superb freeriding and off-piste options for me! It depends what type of skiing you are into. There are so many places to ski in Austria. I would decide on what sort of skiing you want to do and base your resort choice around that. The ski schools should be good wherever you go.
ski holidays
Hi, we have an apartment in Courchevel 1650 which we regularly let out to families, plenty of Wii games and children's DVDs to keep them occupied as well ! The skiing for learners in 1650 is excellent and the pistes are quiet. New Generation ski school are fantastic and are based about 5 mins away. The apartment is self catering and ski in out. The resort is very family friendly and relatively cheap in comparison to 1850 up the road !
For more info about the resort check out our website www.courchevelmoriond.com.
Week after new year in January is usually less busy in most resorts. Let me know if we can help via the website.
snow conditions
snowyowl, suggested the Esprit Ski. I have these twice and they are great. I go at NY so pay top whack and book early. If you travel in the weeks after they have some great offers. Less than half what NY costs if you book late. Also I saw Ski Famille offering ridiculously cheap deals to a new property in La Plagne this year with flights included from Gatwick. The price may encourage you to think about a cheeky week this year Smile
ski holidays
Mike-h..... How much is a typical family holiday for a week with Esprit? Including ski school and everything?

They don't have online prices and just wanted to gauge an idea without phoning and wasting someone's time as we are looking for 2015
ski holidays
Mikethemanc, depends what week you are looking at?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy