Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Driving Advice - snow chains etc.

Poster: A snowHead
And be warned certain Ford Focus's you can not fit chains on - Google for which ones!

I heard this from a mate and Googled it recently.........

Does anyone have any advice on snow chains for a S-Max 2.2 TDCI with 225/50/17" tyres. The handbook says no snow chains due to clearance issues.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nothing from either company today about our chains, I guess they don`t work Saturdays! We did receive a Hermes delivery today however, they had no trouble finding us!

I would NEVER use DPD as a courier they have consistently failed to find us on past occasions, and again this time, their tracking report says that they have left us a note because we are out, which we have not been, nor have we received any notes! I assume their drivers are are either incompetent or lazy.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This snow chain business is giving me a bit of a headache. Basically, I'll be hiring a car from a place that doesn't hire out snow chains in France and driving 90mins into the mountains. It's a day resort, so the access road is long, and very hilly, but very well trodden. I will be doing this twice a month for a weekend at a time till the snow goes away at the end of April. I'm not planning to go up there when it's especially sketchy, there's a local hill that'll do the job instead on those days.

Aside from buying a cheap and cheerful set of snow chains for the first hire car I get, and trying to get the same make of car each time, what can I do?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
call me dave,
I took a gamble on this sort of thing last year, bought a set of cheap Lidl chains in a smaller size than my own car and took my snow socks, this covered me for most of the smaller cars that hire places offer. When I got the first car the chains were the right size for it. When we got to resort late at night & the road to the apartment was icy I decided to put the socks on even though in theory they were too big. This did the job with no problems so I believe socks are a more flexible option for all but the very worst weather.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
CaravanSkier, yet I have had really good service when getting DPD deliveries here. Text me with a delivery time, always arrive etc etc. I did find with our Tyreleader delivery though that the tracking information was completely wrong. If you haven't heard back from Tyreleader today, I would try and contact your local DPD depot.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I did find with our Tyreleader delivery though that the tracking information was completely wrong

i found the same - the tracking number led me to a 10 month old consignment, nothing to do with me at all. But my chains arrived very quickly indeed - were left with the neighbours, and I had a card through the door. Not surprised you're fed up with them though, CaravanSkier.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Weathercam, every car I've owned has said you can't fit chains - every car I've ever owned I've used chains without issue.

Generally just need to buy the 9mm low profile ones - people like snowchains.co.uk etc will offer advice.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The problem is unlikely to be due to the clearance of the wheel arch. It's more likely to do with the clearance between the front wheels and the chassis or suspension when they are on full lock. It would be easy to put the chains on and convince yourself that all is okay and forget to try the full range of movement of the wheel.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mad Tyreleader support emailed me with the couriers postal address!! What good is that? I finally found the couriers telephone number to be told "we have tried to deliver 4 times but you were out!" Shocked NO we were not!!!! "You have a black door" NO we do not! "Our drivers left a note" Maybe, but NOT at the right house!!!! GRRRRRRR!!!!!! "We would not usually bother any more, you would have to come and collect it"

lol Why can`t I find a smiley for steam coming out of my ears?

DPD are going to try again on Wednesday, I`m not holding my breath!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
CaravanSkier, Mad
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh dear, I've just done a big order from Tyre Leader, I hope DPD are better with that.

Question. My driving trips are usually in April but this year I'll be there most of January. Do you regulars usually strengthen the anti freeze in the car? I'm going to test how strong it is atm, it's just been serviced so should be OK for UK conditions but that may not be good enough (I'm guessing -30C required).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Do you regulars usually strengthen the anti freeze in the car?

No, I don't, but it's a good question and I'll be interested in the answers you get. If it's cold my car is garaged, which makes a huge difference to the temperature, so it leads quite a soft life, really.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If your handbook says your wheels can't take snow chains then it doesn't matter what a retailer or hire firm say - they can't take snow chains.
This will be nothing to do with the wheel's overall diameter (known as the rolling radius) as this is constant. It's usually to do with the fact that the inside of lower-profile wheels sit closer to the mechanical gubbins, such as suspension, brakes, driveshaft and steering. So, for example, on my Audi A3 its 18" wheels couldn't take chains but the 17" wheels could, because the latter had about 24mm more gap behind the wheel than the former. Putting chains on the 18" wheels left only about 30mm gap - with most chains being 20-25mm, it wasn't enough of a gap to safely drive with.
To be technical, the summer wheels were 8.5Jx18 (i.e. 8.5" wide) while the winter wheels were 7.5Jx17 (7.5" wide i.e. 1" or 24mm narrower). The extra 1" released in swapping left plenty of space for the chains to rotate.
I opted to buy four 7.5Jx17 wheels for the Audi, and fit them with winter tyres, and then my chains would fit. In the end, I never had to use chains once I had winter tyres anyway, even driving across the Jura Mountains in deep snow one winter.
Beware retailers who tell you to "try them out" or "they should work" - remember it'll be you who are up a mountain in the snow and dark with a loaded car and 3 passengers who take that hairpin and hear a terrible crunching noise as the chains strip the brake pipes off and mangle the suspension.
I appreciate that this is a 'worst case scenario' and that the odds are you can put chains on without any ill effects even if not certified by the vehicle manufacturer. Especially if you go for more expensive chains with minimal components behind the wheel, and your car is rear wheel drive (no steering mechanicals), lightly loaded and you don't encounter hairpins. But it's your risk .....

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Tue 10-12-13 13:50; edited 4 times in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Do you regulars usually strengthen the anti freeze in the car?

No, I don't, but it's a good question and I'll be interested in the answers you get. If it's cold my car is garaged, which makes a huge difference to the temperature, so it leads quite a soft life, really.

I do, the regular mix is good for -20c the dealer (without charge) toped up my vw to a strength of -30c I leave my car outside! Two years ago many in chamonix were having problems when the temp was -20/24c overnight especially with waxing diesel, I take my own fuel addative.

Msej449 welcome to snowheads, what a good first post.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

what a good first post.

+1 though I winced at the description of the chains stripping the brake pipes off. Shocked
snow report
Quote:

with most chains being 20-25mm

There are 9mm chains available for restricted clearances - or of course Snow Socks which (some makes) have now been certified for use
snow conditions
Well my Tyre Leader delivery is on the road. A bit worried though that I've 3 tracking numbers (for 4 tyres and a set of chains), 2 in Germany, 1 in Netherlands Shocked

I'm going to check my antifreeze and strengthen it I think. My car will be outside for 3 weeks in January unless I can park inside for a reasonable price.
latest report
I've found the biggest problem with screenwash is it freezing in the pipes and jets as I use them en route down to the Alps. Driving at 120Kph in sub-zero air means a terrific Wind Chill factor. I make sure that before I leave the screenwash is at 100% concentration right through to the jets, and then top-up with 100% during the trip.
latest report
Quote:

Driving at 120Kph in sub-zero air means a terrific Wind Chill factor.

we've had this discussion before on SHs - I think the consensus was that cars and tubes feel windchill. The LIDL stuff is pretty good - bought 2 gallons yesterday. The ones you buy in the UK are useless.
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
Quote:

with most chains being 20-25mm

There are 9mm chains available for restricted clearances - or of course Snow Socks which (some makes) have now been certified for use

And as I often point out.... there are expensive solutions that aren't really "chains" but more like "after-market wheel studs" for cars that need it. I never understood the concept of driving a £40k+ car (new price) and scrimping on some £250 chains. Even if the car cost £20k (inc second hand) the risks involved in those last 2 miles up the mountain could lose that amount in one moment.
ski holidays
msej449, The problem is that the methanol can evaporate leaving the end of the nozzle blocked by a little frozen plug of water, plus melting snow from the screen can run down onto them, I often give it a quick spray just before I park the car to clear this, but in really cold temps it's worth hitting the spray every 15 minutes or so when driving to keep them clear too.

Or buy a heater kit for them Smile
snow report
okay, SNOW SOCKS - any views on brands?
For my wheels (235/40 18")
Autosocks are £65 + £4 delivery… claim to be approved by the gendarme in France: http://www.autosock.co.uk/faqs/ .. and have a Which? best buy status
Weissenfels are £12.50cheaper at Snowchains.co.uk for £49 + £7.50 delivery … http://www.snowchains.co.uk/product/?brand=Weissenfels&model=WeissSock&pID=WSK-81&p=WSK

Note that the snowchains website says, "Are the snow socks approved for use in the Alps etc? This is a grey area since many people use them. Our understanding is that officially they are not approved because they don't have any chain or studs to dig into the ice. "

Actually Snowchains are based not too far from me, so I could save the delivery charge and visit in person, so they'd be almost £20 cheaper.

Not sure if any other brands to consider, but it seems to be a question of whether the Weissenfels are at least as good as the Autosocks or if not then I should pay the extra. Puzzled

Thanks!
snow report
simonx, this is what Roofbox Company have to say about autosocks on their website.

Quote:
AutoSock have been approved since 2010 for use in France as an alternative to metal snow chains where the B26 snow chain signs require snow chains to be carried. Visitors to France will need to download a sticker to fix to the AutoSock storage bag, and are also advised to download the relevant details, taken from the Gendarmerie website, and AutoSock’s press release.
AutoSock can also legally be used when snowchains must be carried or fitted in the Czech Republic, Germany, and Slovenia

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/car-snow-socks/autosock-faq.php#Q13
snow conditions
My Winter tyres and a set of chains have just been delivered by DPD. I only ordered them from Tyre Leader on Friday evening so that's pretty good service. Just need to arrange with my mate who is a mobile tyre fitter to come and fit them then we're ready to roll.
ski holidays
Simonxsimonx, have a look on eBay, I got a brand new genuine pair from a retailer (Vauxhall I think, in Cobham, Surrey) who advertises on there and they cost me £24. That was in an auction, so I did get lucky. However, we have plumped for K Summit chains now, having spoken to the resort agents who warned us that the hair pins can be too scary without chains on.
ski holidays
Claude B, I am really glad you have your chains, we ordered ours from Tyreleader on the 2nd Dec and STILL have not got them. We are off to the Alps on Friday! grrrrrhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!
snow report
WOOOOOhooooo. Chains have just been delivered! By one of DPD`s drivers on their way home from work. He lives locally and says there has been a problem with agency drivers taken on for Xmas. I have to say that we have had a problem with DPD before so not convinced by that explanation but at least they have arrived!
latest report
CaravanSkier, Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
CaravanSkier, good news!
ski holidays
CaravanSkier, Cool
latest report
skimac wrote:
... Thats all a winter tyre is, different rubber and a deeper tread.

Different compound, yes, but deeper tread blocks have little to do with the on snow performance. It is down to the many micro channels cut into the tyre that allows the water that forms between the snow and the tyre hen you pressurise snow to dissipate easily. It is this water that makes snow slippery .
snow conditions
SimonJohn78 wrote:

Hi There,

I wondered if anyone had used these non-chain type snow chains - http://www.dcperformance.co.uk/uprated/alloy-wheel-accessories/michelin-easy-grip-snow-chains.html ? I haven't used snow chains before but didn't fancy using conventional chains as have heard that they can scratch alloy wheels? They seem pricier than metal ones, but perhaps worth it if they live up to what they claim?

beequin wrote:

SimonJohn78, I agree these look interesting. Have you done any searches for reviews, or do you know more about them?

P.S. Welcome to snowHead

PPS. Amazon reviews are not positive http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B0041H6CI2?tag=amz07b-21

I've been reading Snowheads for quite a while, but discussion of these Michelin 'chains' has incentivised me to register Smile
I bought these a couple of years ago from Halfords at the last minute, as I was travelling to Poland for Easter (not for skiing Sad) with Summer tyres and there was a risk it would snow. I had hoped not to use them and return them when I got back, but unfortunately, I did need to put them on to get up a steep, narrow hill. As I had only just bought them, I didn't have time to practice putting them on before I left, although I had watched the youtube videos and they seemed straightforward enough to put on. Well, when it came to it, it took myself and a friend, who has years of experience with snow chains, almost an hour to put them on! It was not straightforward at all. Once they were on, I got up the hill with ease.

Because they worked well enough once on, I thought that I would keep them for my next skiing trip, thinking that they would be easier to put on next time, now I knew what I was doing - or so I thought. I was better prepared this time, as I had Winter tyres, but I came to a very slippery patch where some cars had already crashed, so I decided to put on the chains. Putting them on was no easier than the last time and it took real effort to do. Once on, they were fine for a minute or so, but then I felt the car becoming sluggish and the steering was difficult. I stopped, and it turned out that one of the chains had become caught in the wheel inside. Fortunately, the car was not damaged, but the chain was mangled. I threw them away and have since bought the RUD easy2go chains from the roofbox website. Although I have not yet had to use them, I have tried putting them on on the driveway and it took about three minutes. On top of that they cost less than the Michelin ones. Others may have had better luck with these, but my advice to anyone thinking of buying them is to get the real thing instead.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 12-12-13 16:10; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
PollSki, welcome to Snowheads. snowHead Very useful first post.
snow conditions
I found the Michelin chains easy to put on, albeit on my drive before my last 2 winter trips. They were never used in anger though. Now that I've changed cars they have joined the growing pile of "wrong size" chains. I only paid £15 for them when they were on sale in Tesco.
snow report
simonx wrote:
just checked handbook, this is what it says,
"For technical reasons snow chains may only be used on tyres with certain wheel rim/tyre combinations.

Rim size 7Jx 16
Rim offset 42mm
Tyre size 205/55

Only use snow chains with FINE-PITCH LINKS. The links must not protrude more than 15mm from the tyres (including tensioner).
"

hmm, seems to be saying can't use snow chains with my tyres (details above) ….

Basically, your standard wheels are 7" wide and 16" diameter (7Jx16) and the tyre is 205 mm wide: hence The 205/... 16

Your fitted tyres are 30mm wider: hence 235/.... and the wheel diameter is 18", hence 235/.... 18

The manual is saying that the 'standard' 7Jx17 (7" wheel width, 17" wheel diameter) carrying 205mm wide tyres will leave you with enough space behind the wheel to safely take chains. But your fitted wheels consume 30mm more space behind the wheel. Add 20-25mm more for the chains and you've now consumed 50-55mm of what was free space - does this leave enough for the chains to rotate safely? The manual indicates that it doesn't.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 12-12-13 18:07; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Thanks pam w for the welcome Smile

Claude B, Lucky you! I paid £100 for mine, and never could get them to work. Looking at the Amazon reviews, I am not alone, although they ovbiously work for some people. I, personally, will stick to real chains though.
snow conditions
thanks msej449 … explains why Audi quoted me £800!

Anyone any snow sock thoughts on Autosocks vs. Weissenfels ?
ski holidays
On the question of snow chains, we are hiring cars from the French side of GVA airport in 2 weeks' time - Alamo (booked thru HOliday Autos) want something like 105 euros for hire of chains! Can someone please remind me of the name of the big super/hypermarket near the exit from Ferney Voltaire, GVA and does anyone know whether they sell snow chains there please??
ski holidays
Villz, if you turn left out of the barbed wire road to the French sector (where you would go through the border checkpoint if you turned right), and then right at the next two roundabouts there's a big "Centre Commerciale" which has a big "Feu Vert" motor shop and a huge supermarket whose name I forget. Don't forget to note the tyre size. If you don't need to use them, and are cheeky, you might be able to get your money back on return.
snow report
Brilliant Pam - that's the place I had in mind ! And Feu Vert there too so that's good. Thanks!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy