Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austia = Snow: but why?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi to all. Interested to see the great snow falls in Austria this week and more to come. Why does Austria get this early snow (I recall they did last year too)? What is the scientific reason or is it pure chance?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pure chance, really. The weather systems that deliver snow to the Alps etc have no guaranteed preferences.

The Spanish mountains - Sierra Nevada, and those above Madrid - have had heavy snow this week too.

Sometimes the snow whips up from the Mediterranean and puts lots down on northern Italy and southern Switzerland - that happened during October, but it's nearly all gone now.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 19-11-05 20:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Austria didn't get much early snow last year most of the snow and cold weather came after the 3rd week Jan 2005. When it did fall it fell heavy, the avalanche danger was not only in the resorts but driving between them. Austria in Oct 2002 and 2003 did see some good early snow as far as I can remember.

Quite often there's snow predicted for one country and it drops earlier or gets carried further. Austria is more land locked than other countries (Italy and France etc) so some times this works in it's favour. It's mostly the luck of the draw, Austria has just had more luck than usual in the last few years.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB, We could ski through the streets of Kitzbuhel last Christmas (well, the churchyard anyway). My unsubstantiated theory is that Austria's snow is more continental and comes down from Russia. Either way, be glad. Austria is the place to ski at Christmas. Another possibilty is that the snowgods are responding to reports that low resorts like Kitz are doomed because of global warming. There is more to it than height. snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you want a look at Austrian sits with snow try
www.tw1.at
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
So are any austria ski resorts opening early? I thought another thread on here had them delaying their opening?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I thinks it's the French resorts that have delayed their opening. The Austrian glaciers are open, most Austrian resorts open end Nov early Dec.

Forecast is looking good ....
http://www.snow-forecast.com/maps/alps_3days.php
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Taken the link off. Felt a bit cheeky posting it, considering that some of us are paying for it.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 21-11-05 20:33; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mamcoz, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead It's certainly looking good at the minute... although I normally treat the 3-6day forecast with a bit of scepticism - even though I pay for it wink
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Loser (near Salzburg) has 190cm of snow (50cm dropped on 20.11.05) Shocked it opens on the 26.11.05.

http://www.bergfex.com/loser/

http://www.loser.at/
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Looks promising for anyone going to Austria for Christmas!
snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the welcome. Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yipppeeeeeeee

Zel on the 17th December
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yippppeeeeeee!!

Kitz in January.

Dam! Ages away!... Fingers crossed.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy