Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Third skiing trip.. Andorra, Slovenia or Austria?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone,
So I have two ski trips planned... Bansko and then Borovets -- These are my first 2 trips and needless to say I am uber excited!! Smile

I am a beginner right now and I think that I will be in between beginner / intermediate by then .. Or I may suprise myself haha!

I have looked into a few ski resorts and Andorra, Slovenia, and Austria appeal as they are not too expensive.
I also dont want to go to a huge ski resort.. not yet anyway!!

I have started researching into them but its blowing my mind a tad so wondered if anyone has got any advice?

We want somewhere thats good for red and blue runs.. ideally close to the slopes or door step skiing, dont fancy getting buses across town to ski although I know this may depend where you stay... somewhere with some apres ski... we are not big partiers and just pop out for a drink or change of scene 2-3 nights a week so a few resteraunts & bars would suffice - somewhere with nothing at all and we may get bored!

As I said I dont want a huge resort I am thinking of building up haha!
Pictureresque would be lovely too...

If you were in my shoes which would you visit first, second and third and why?
Thanks! Smile
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I should probably add that the trip wont be all about the skiing in terms of the size and number of runs which may sound ridiculous (Dont shoot me!)... but what I mean is I am a big traveller and like to see different countries anyway.. plus we would want convenience of getting to the slopes and a nice area so it would be as much about the holiday in terms of convenience as it would be about the skiing.. we are not hardened thrill seekers yet! Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Out of those three I'd say Austria. If you have the bug after the first two trips then you will experience a huge difference in the ski areas as well as Austrian ski resorts being nice instead of a badly thought out version of Blackpool seafront.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Any particular resort or do they all have something to offer for intermediates?

Would you even consider Slovenia as an intermediate? -- seems geared towards families which is fine but not necessarily what we are looking for. Is it worth a trip?

Also with Andorra I can see its a much bigger resort so was thinking of maybe going there for a fourth trip...

I have been doing a fair bit of skiing already in the snowdomes and am already addicted & just cant wait to get out there as I am starting to feel clusterphoebic at the snowdome!! Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Em1986, are you looking to get a package with one of the big tour operators? Which is a good idea for your first few holidays. Most could advise you about resorts. I would say that you shouldn't get too hung up on "doorstep skiing". If there is a reliable and convenient bus service from VERY close to your accommodation, that can work well. Also, in many resorts where people travel to the lifts you can leave your gear at the lift, with your boots in a nice warm place (essential, don't even dream of leaving them somewhere cold). A ten minute walk to the lifts in walking boots is a very pleasant start to the day. A ten minute walk in ski boots is not.

Are you going to be having lessons on your holidays? I've never been to Andorra but have seen reports suggesting the standard of ski school there is good, with lots of native English speakers.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Both our trips to Bulgaria are package through Crystal ski as we thought the same as you that its easier that way.
The next few will also be booked through them as I get vouchers through work and they can only be used alongside the big operators...

Thanks for the tips on doorstep skiing, I will be more open.

Yes definitely having lessons, have them booked for everyday on both of our Bulgaria trips and will still have them on the mentioned trips above but may wait until getting to resort to book them.. I am a big fan of constantly learning and having lessons gives me confidence too Little Angel

There are just so many choices.. I didnt know where to start in terms of resorts!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Em, most ski resorts have something for the intermediate skier but the difference in resorts from western to eastern europe is huge.

For example
http://youtube.com/v/wOIYm5B_Pw8 is Bulgarian. I can assure you there won't be anything like that in Austria!

For a third trip I'd reccomend Sauze D'Oulx in italy, fantastic intermediate skiing, lovely area and pretty cheap.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Slovenia certainly meets the picturesque requirement, esp. the around the Bovec, Bohinj area and the Triglav park. And it's cheap, and the hospitality beats just about everywhere in the rest of the EU. Never skied in Slovenia so can't really comment on it, but it's stunning in summer for walking, hiking, mountainbiking, canyoning, canoeing, etc.

I'd be tempted to say Austria or Italy for a much wider choice. Or if you choose the Dolomites, you can get Austrian and Italian "feel" all in one. Oh and it's stunning scenery, easyish pistes, reasonably cheap, very cheap for ski rental.

Package makes sense.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
as well as Austrian ski resorts being nice instead of a badly thought out version of Blackpool seafront...The difference in resorts from western to eastern europe is huge
Do you mean the slopes or the resort homers double, ? (In comparison to the other 150+ resorts that I have visited) I found Bansko's slopes and lift system to be fine for a long weekend a couple of years ago - and on a par with a lot of the more highly rated ski destinations. There are a fair few smaller areas in 'the west' with antiquated lifts and what could be described as rustic slopes. after all, everywhere's not like Courchevel, Aspen or Sauze D'Oulx. And the town of Bansko was ok too - though very different to traditional western ski resorts. Overall we enjoyed a very different cultural experience.

Em1986: You could do worse than look at the good old Austrian favourites of Soll, Mayrhofen or Alpbach for a future trip. Everyone loves Austria! In Italy, you could try Sauze D'Oulx, Cervinia (flattering, high-mileage) cruising, Pila or Courmayeur.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thank you for all your hints and tips... what are peoples thoughts on Obergurgyl in Austria? Just kept cropping up when I was looking...

Also noone has mentioned Andorra? What are your thoughts on Andorra compared to the above mentioned?

Thanks for pointing out Italy, I had written it off as I thought it would be expensive so thank you for pointing that out! I LOVE Italian food!! Very Happy

I know that Bulgaria doesnt have the best rep amoungst a lot of people... but as it is a first two trips & we have nothing to compare as well also saving for a wedding... we went with it! Little Angel
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Em1986, a lot depends on the timing of your trips, which can make the difference between packed slopes and long lift queues and a much quieter and more enjoyable experience, spending less time standing in queues and more skiing.

Get advice not only on resort, but also in respect of timing. For example there are some reports of very long queues for the initial lift up the mountain in Mayrhofen.

If you are going in low season (and if you aren't teachers and don't have school age kids it's madness not to) you could afford to wait to book - see how the first trip goes first, and what you like and dislike about the resort and the experience.

If it's a busy time, book ski school in advance though - or you might well not get in.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks again!

We would not be going in term time... no children and are not teachers! Our first trip is 1st Feb and I think we will probably keep around that time if its ok for snow as it splits up our year quite well Happy

We are not booking the next trip yet I just wanted to get some advice... Andorra and the 4 hour transfer is putting me off a bit .... but then if its a great resort ...
But for the hotels we are looking at Italy is coming up cheaper and Austria the same as Andorra so its definitely not cheaper.
So just down to the actual resort... Have you been to Andorra?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Em1986, no, not been to Andorra. I think from other comments here that though it used to be cheaper, it's not any more - personally I'd go to Austria if it's the same price. But you need to look at everything, including lift passes, to get a fair comparison.

The beginning of Feb is a good time to go, but the end of January is cheaper and quieter, in France at any rate. Late March is another good time, after the French school hols end in the middle of the month.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Em1986,

The coach transfer to Andorra is a real pain. One of the (several) reasons I never went back.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have been to Andorra (Pas de la Casa) several times, i have not used the ski school but a few of my friends have and they couldn't fault it. Andorra is a really good resort, the lift system is one the most up to date, a lot more than Sauze D'oulx, we decided against Sauze D'oulx for that reason and decided to go back to Andorra in February. Although the resort is big, there is plenty in each resort to keep you amused if you dont want to travel to far. Pas de la Casa is the main resort in Andorra and has great apres ski also, or if your looking for something little quieter the Soldeu or El Tartare. The 3 hour transfer from Toulouse is not too bad as there is usually a stop half way. If you have a look at the Grandvalira website and the amount of snow they have had this week up to a meter and half in places then you may be persuaded.

I would definately recommend Andorra and Pas de la Casa particular.
snow report
Em1986, am i right in thinking that you are planning your 3rd trip for this season? or when you said "Our first trip is 1st Feb and I think we will probably keep around that time if its ok for snow " perhaps you are thinking about 2015?
snow report
Yeah have compared the lift passes and its still cheaper... I think you could do andorra cheaper but we want to stay in nicer hotels so no difference and Italy was cheaper than both places!

Is the snow usually ok end of Jan / start of Feb in Austria and Italy do you know? I know it must vary year to year..

Yeah thats put me off to be honest... when there are plenty of ski resorts with a much smaller transfer its a long time to travel! Bansko is 2 half and that sounds long!!
snow conditions
Em1986, Snow will be absolutely fine at that time of year - it would be a major abberation if it wasn't. If you chioose a resort in the Ski Amade area in Austria the transfers from Salzburg are very short, some only an hour.
ski holidays
Quote:

Is the snow usually ok end of Jan / start of Feb in Austria and Italy do you know?

Yes. A pretty reliable time to go, given the inevitable caveats.
ski holidays
Em1986, I'd say Austria, but it all depends on the resort.
I use an old copy of Where to Ski and Snowboard as a starting place.
They have a cut down version on their website. Their resort reviews have Pros and Cons without the sugar coating you get in TO brochures.

http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/
snow conditions
I went to Soldeu in Andorra for my first ever trip - great resort for beginners/early intermediates. Lots of cruisy blues and easier reds than you'll find in other resorts, plus the piste bashers do a great job so lots of perfectly groomed pistes.
ski holidays
If it helps.... my 2nd ski trip was to Skiwelt in Austria (staying in Ellmau) and third was to Pas de la Casa. With regards to skiability (have I made that word up?) they should both be very manageable for you. I could ski most runs in the skiwelt on the 2nd trip - with limited style - whereas I practically skied every run in the Grandvalira. Both are relatively cheap places to go, Andorra isn't that cheap if you buy things separately, but tour ops usually do a reasonably good bundled package for ski pass, lessons and equipment.

With regards to hotels, if you've ever been to Spain on a package holiday, the hotels in Andorra aren't too dissimilar, especially if they have the typical buffet style dining room.

Out of the two, most Austrian resorts beat Andorra hands down for an overall ski holiday experience, but we still had a good time in Andorra (and the transfer isn't actually too bad). You'll notice a huge difference between either countries and Bulgaria skiing (never been to Bulgaria skiing, but OH has and she thinks so).
ski holidays
hi, i can recommend Zell am See, yes its a busy resort, but there is plenty of Blues/Reds to keep you entertained, Also if you like to travel about a bit, plenty of other resorts pretty close by. the nightlife/Apres you can come and go as you please, plenty of busy bars but also plenty of nice little bars and restaurants. You are pretty much guaranteed great skiing with the glacier a short trip away, yes its by bus but well worth the experience. as for the skiing to doorstep, we stayed in the hotel Lebzelter, middle of town but quiet and the gondola is 100m walk up the street, its also right next to the bus station if you fancy a jaunt to one of the other resorts. there is plenty to stop the boredom, the local Ice Hockey stadia is 2 mins walk from town, and not forgetting the Lake which is well worth a Stroll around.
latest report
Depends on how much you value variety, your budget and your dates. I'd say Slovenia.
snow report
Em1986, go to france...............................you'll love it. whichever resort will be okay. Toofy Grin
snow report
Andorra is great for your level, but the transfer as mentioned is a right ball ache.
Trust me if you go to Austria you will not want to go back to the others apart from maybe if you have a limited budget. Yes sometimes you pay a little bit more, but the whole package is better, infrastructure, lifts, equipment, tuition and Après. You will not be disappointed, just do a little bit if research to find the right resort.
latest report
If it helps - again! Go to Austria - they (the Austrians - gotta be careful here!) try
very hard to make things work well for visitors. If you want pretty villages, go to Alpbach or
Niederau - now all on the same lift pass, so can travel between the two places, on skis
Also can get lift passes including SkiWelt (Soll, Ellmau, Hopfgarten, etc) and if staying in
Niederau, just a short taxi ride away - sadly no skibus.
Whatever you do, don't stress it - just make sure you have fun!
snow report
If you have already booked to go to Borovets and Bansko for your first two trips, I can offer a few words of advice. I worked in Bulgaria for four years and during that time I spent most of my winter weekends skiing at Borovets and Bansko.
Borovets is a short, less than one hour, transfer from Sofia airport and is a pretty alpine style village up in the mountains. Great place for a weekend, especially for intermediates. A bit limited for experts. There are two ski areas. One set of lifts from the village centre takes you to pretty tree-lines runs back into the village. The other area is accessed from a gondola at the edge of the village which takes you to the bare slopes higher up the mountain. with more extensive runs. The gondola can have big queues in the morning, but those in the know can avoid these by getting a taxi to the bottom of the Yastrebetz chair lift (beware this chair is very busy at weekends with locals coming from Sofia). The disadvantage with Borovets is that it is quite low and snow is not always guaranteed. Also the gondola and higher slopes may be closed in high winds.
Bansko is further from the airport but not excessive, around two hours. Bansko is a small town in the valley and frequently snow-free. It doesn't really feel like a ski resort. To access the slopes, which are higher and more extensive than Borovets, it is necessary to either take the horrendously busy gondola or hop into a taxi which will take you to the top gondola station. The skiing really starts above the gondola station, although there is snow-making which allows a run back down to the bottom of the gondola. Bansko has better skiing than Borovets but the town does not have the friendly atmosphere of Borovets.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Em1986, You may find this article helpful: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/snowandski/6395505/Best-Austrian-ski-resorts.html
snow report
Em1986 wrote:
Hi Everyone,
So I have two ski trips planned... Bansko and then Borovets -- These are my first 2 trips and needless to say I am uber excited!! Smile

I am a beginner right now and I think that I will be in between beginner / intermediate by then .. Or I may suprise myself haha!

I have looked into a few ski resorts and Andorra, Slovenia, and Austria appeal as they are not too expensive.
I also dont want to go to a huge ski resort.. not yet anyway!!

I have started researching into them but its blowing my mind a tad so wondered if anyone has got any advice?

We want somewhere thats good for red and blue runs.. ideally close to the slopes or door step skiing, dont fancy getting buses across town to ski although I know this may depend where you stay... somewhere with some apres ski... we are not big partiers and just pop out for a drink or change of scene 2-3 nights a week so a few resteraunts & bars would suffice - somewhere with nothing at all and we may get bored!

As I said I dont want a huge resort I am thinking of building up haha!
Pictureresque would be lovely too...

If you were in my shoes which would you visit first, second and third and why?
Thanks! Smile

Why aren't just doing a season altogether?
snow report
skimastaaah wrote:
Em1986, go to france...............................you'll love it. whichever resort will be okay. Toofy Grin

And pay through the nose for it.

Em1986 wrote:

Thanks for pointing out Italy, I had written it off as I thought it would be expensive so thank you for pointing that out! I LOVE Italian food!! Very Happy

Italy is a lot cheaper than the rest of the alpine nations, I don't understand why this forum is so hung up on france when the prices, people and food are so much better. A good resort in Italy will far outshine a good french one.
ski holidays
Em1986, Find it a little odd (unless I'm not following you correctly) that you're trying to book 4 trips in total when you've not skied before? If so what's your experience of where you've been so far-what did you like dislike etc? I've not read every post in detail so sorry if this has already been addressed.

OK I've not been to Bulgaria before, so perhaps my next statement is a little unfair-nothing I hear about the place makes me want to go-EVER. This is for various reasons.

homers double, I think the price difference lies in the misconception that ALL French resorts are expensive once you're there in terms of eating out etc. There are plenty of exceptions and there is good value to be found either independently or booking via an agent. When going to France I stay in catered chalets, it keeps costs inline and I don't have a large lunch. The OP would be missing out on some awesome skiing if they simply discount skiing in France entirely.

Here's a quick guide to the ski countries with some very broad generalisations!

Andorra, learnt to ski here so will always have fond memories. It used to be cheap, not so much anymore- the lift pass in the largest area is now one of the most expensive in Europe. Skiing is great for beginners to intermediates-not a great deal of challenges beyond that IMO. Transfer, well it's relative to where you land and where else you've been and what you're willing to put up with? Smoking still permitted in bars and restaurants-some ugly and pretty bases. All things being equal I think the alpine countries are the better choice, snow has come later and there's been less off it in recent seasons.

Italy, good food, good infrastructure, cheap(er) but not cheap in terms of on slope prices in town etc. Dolomites would be a good shout and Cervinia is the only other I can think off that would meet your requirements if you want mileage and a large selection of runs. La Thuile may be worth a look as it's connected to the French resort of La Rosiere to give about 150 km of pisted runs. I've worked for years in the Aosta valley and know all the resorts. Courmeyeur may get a bit samey for a week, Pila will tick allot of your boxes if you stay up the hill après is limited and the ski area while has great variety normally a decent skier will 'ski it out' in 3-4 days tops

Austria, my favourite destination for 'a ski holiday' Emphasis on the holiday part-I like to ski all day and then have rather a few beers on occasion. No one does après like the Austrians IMO and prices on the hill are not prohibitively expensive generally. Ski in/out not as prevalent as in say France but it does exist. Skiing is accessed in the main from working towns rather than purpose built resorts, many of these are pretty and have a wonderful Austrian charm about them. As others have mentioned check out the SkiWelt area, Mayrhofen, there are many others-Kitzbuhel and Saalbach as starters for 10.

France, shouldn't be discounted, it has a huge variety of ski areas from small 'off the radar' areas to a large selection of interconnected ski domains offering more skiing than you could hope to ski in a week. Some resorts are a bit Fugly, newer developments tend to be low rise chalet type buildings/hotels which are aesthetically more pleasing. Also you won't struggle to find accommodation offering ski in ski out but is dependent on conditions in the main.

Hope that gives you a bit of an idea. Like I said some broad generalisations each ski destination offers the same thing essentially with it's own twist and it's entirely down to the individual which appeals to them most.
latest report
Thank you everyone for all your posts, this has been a great help!!

In terms of going for the season we are not in a position to do that due to work committments unfortunately booo!
And in terms of booking four holidays.. no thats not the case... I have booked two - one in Jan and one in Feb and although I have not been on a skiing holiday before I have done a fair bit of skiing and LOVE it so I can only imagine a holiday with skiing will be even better!

I am not planning on booking anything else until after the two holidays I have already booked but I was just thinking and looking ( as you do ) and wanted some advice from more experienced travellers! Smile

I think taking everything into account I am probably going to look at Andorra next.... although the transfer is long I think its a place I would like to experience and see (I love travelling!) and then maybe look at Italy and Austria after that....

France is definitely a place we will go but the other countries interest me more in terms of seeing difference places and also some of the smaller resorts I like the sound of more than the huge big ones and the cost also!

Thank you for all the info on Bulgaria ... is it likely snow in Borovets is ok mid Feb?
I know a lot of people dont think much of Bulgaria but I have a work my way up kind of attitude... right now anything will be better than the snowdome.. Smile
snow report
Em1986, Find it a little difficult to understand when taking everything into account you'll look at Andorra next. My second ever ski holiday was there, my first was in the SkiWelt. After another 10 or so trips I've skied resorts in Italy, France, Austria, Spain and Canada. They all offer something a bit different, Andorra is the only place I wouldn't rush back to-combination of iffy conditions, transfer and ski area. If cost is a consideration I don't think you'll find it any cheaper than Austria for example plus the Pyrenees IMO aren't a patch on the Alps scenery wise.

As for Borovets, I've never been but it sounds like you could have done with doing some research on here prior to booking-one week isn't a crazy idea while you get your ski legs but 2? Very Happy

No one has a crystal ball when it comes to how the snow will be. In Feb you should be OK but it's not unknown to have very spring like weather across Europe in Feb, where the higher resorts fair better generally.

Enjoy your holidays anyhow, I learnt on an indoor slope then did some skiing in Scotland and thought it was awesome then getting into a large resort in the Alps was another revelation.
snow conditions
Well from what people have said Andorra seems to be a place people have been at the start of their skiing... and that once you have experienced different resorts most people have said they wouldnt necessarily go back ..

So my logic is that while I am still relatively new to skiing and we havent experienced any variation in resorts as such... go and see Andorra before I am spoilt with other resorts!

I did read up a fair bit about Bansko and Borovets before booking and spoke to friends that I have that ski.... but in all honesty posting on here talking to avid skiiers that ski year in year out about whether its worth going to Bulgaria... I think from my reading of posts.. I can guess what the general response would have been wink

We have been put in a position where we can afford to go away twice and my OH loves any activity type holidays and we have both enjoyed skiing and snowboarding the past few months so why not? As I have said before its not just about the skiing for us, its about the experience and the holiday as well..experiencing somewhere a bit different, and having fun!

I think we are a long way off being driven by the kind of runs and how big the resort is (although we may get there one day!) .... Its more about being somewhere where we can practice, have runs that we can attempt wink and like I said just have fun! Bulgaria seemed to tick those boxes and although may not be all that well regarded for us it will be great just being able to put into practice what we have learnt on 'real snow!'..

I love travelling and am always thinking about my next trip or holiday and thats what prompted this post... I just wanted some insider information really on resorts and it has been very helpful!! Smile
snow conditions
Em1986, I'd say if your at least fairly active/athlectic after 2 weeks in Bulgaria you'll be at a reasonable recreational level-which for me roughly translated to enjoying getting around the area without falling every 10m, enjoying blues runs tackling reds and the odd black in good conditions. I'd probably say the best thing is to do your Bulgarian trips and then see how you feel. Sure the Mega resorts are huge but with that they have a variety of all the different grades of runs-the smaller resorts also want to appeal to a variety of skiers so will offer blues, reds, blacks etc there'll just be less of them. Some people would rather do one awesome run a number of times than 10 different mediocre/less challeging runs others like the variety and sense of travel and ticking different runs off the piste. Allot of people like to try a new resort every season, others go back year in year out to the same one(s) which suit their needs best.

You obviously like travelling and I get the impression you like the cultural/new experience side of things? Andorra is lacking a bit in this respect. I guess the point I'm trying to make is once your on the hill there's not a huge amount of difference from one ski country to the next. Allot of the Austrian resorts have been devloped around real working towns rather than being purpose built up a mountain side.

skiing is def all about having a good time so as long as that's the case the rest isn't that important at the end of the day.
latest report
Em1986, I kind of get what Bene, is saying, we all learn at different rates at all things in life. I've taught total beginners a few times over the space of the week and generally they'll be tootling around the resort by mid-end of the week there will be stronger and weaker ones.

Your logic of seeing Andorra just so you can say you have and then not go back is a bit nuts Confused but horses for courses! It will be a step up for Bulgaria though of that I can assure you.

Another bonus of the Austrian resorts is the reltively short transfers. Early morning flight from the UK and you can easily get half a day in on the first day-in several resorts a 6 day pass will kick in at 2pm before the first day.

Book a week off and see what's about closer to the time-There's quite a difference between skiing in the winter months and the spring too (it can be wintery in spring and vice versa at times). I like skiing at anytime but there's something to be said for skiing in a t-shirt, and enjoying a cold beer on a sun soaked terrace after a hard days skiing!! Cool
snow conditions
Definitely Austria, Mayrhoffen is my Favourite and you would enjoy it too, with most things all within walking distance really except for the Glacier.
Soll and St Anton also good. When the bug really kicks in then the States and Canada, West coast and Rockies not the East coast though. Snow is far, far better on West Coast/ Rockies. My favourites there are Copper Mountain, Whistler/ Blackcombe, and Sunshine/ Lake Louise. Njoy your new addiction. snowHead
ski holidays
Hmm I dont think I have explained myself properly... I am not planning on going just so I can say I have been and not go back again... but having taken a lot of comments from here people have been at the start of their skiing and enjoyed it but then due to other resorts maybe being preferred or closer or whatever they havent gone back.. so I am thinking of going before so I can appreciate it for what it is and not compare it to somewhere 'better' kind of thing although I know will inevitabely happen when travelling around. I guess I just wanted to go there with as little pre conceptions or comparisons to get the most out of it...

Maybe I am thinking a tad too much into this wink and yes youre right I guess most resorts are the same once you are up a mountain!!

I would like to say I am reasonably active wink More so since getting into skiing .... I go to the gym twice and have been working on my legs and core a fair but to help too which it really has so far!
I already feel that I have picked it up quickly although I am no way good just yet.. but after 4 hours skiing I can perform controlled linked turns, speed up slow down, change directions, stop, get around people, avoid people and all of this without falling over wink
I know it is very different up a mountain though hence why I have lessons booked.

Anyway I think I have had some great feedback and I think youre right in terms of waiting and seeing how we feel after our two trips... I wasnt planning on booking anything yet anyway.. more of a brain storm question to get some input Smile
snow conditions
Quote:

I guess most resorts are the same once you are up a mountain!!

Noooooo! Shocked There is a world of difference between resorts in different regions/countries in terms of the attractiveness of the scenery, the charm of the mountain restaurants, the food, the friendliness of the staff, the efficiency of the lift system, the extent, nature and quality of the skiing, the availability and nature of the 4-7pm après-ski......and as for the resorts, compare "Ice Station Zebra" to the "Sound of Music" (add the snow to the latter!)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy