Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach or Arabba in early jan???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Which one would you go to? We are decent intermediates, we are confident on all groomed pistes and like to mess about off piste in trees and gullies. We don't care about banging après, a decent bar or two is plenty for us. Any help appreciated.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Don't know Saalbach.

Went to Arabba in early Jan last year, and to Selva previously.

Enormous domain with absolutely oodles of intermediate level pistes and not crowded. Russians the largest contingent of foreigners at that time of year. Not huge amounts of off-piste (I'm sure it can be found, but it's not particularly a big thing in the Dolomites, I think).

The Après is suitably downbeat!

I love the Dolomites BTW, and would certainly go back to Arabba. It's the best base for more demanding piste skiing on the Sella Ronda circuit, and handy for other centres such as Cortina. The hotel Evaldo is great if you get as far as looking at accommodation.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Don't know Arraba.

Went to Saalbach back in January in a group of six. We met up with Tatman's Tours from here and he was a fantastic guide to the area, as well as great company.

Saalbach is a very large ski area with super-fast lifts and a fabulous sense of travel. Stunning scenery, excellent snowmaking (if needed), and many tree-lined runs.

Pistes are mainly intermediate reds and blues with plenty of variety, but there are a couple of challenging blacks if you fancy them. The mountain huts are beautiful, and two of them are the most gorgeous mountain restaurants I've ever seen, they're like museums. One was the Alte Schmeide (Old Mill I believe).

Apres is very lively slopeside if you want it (Goassstall in Hinterglemm, Hinterhag Alm in Saalbach and Bauer's Ski Alm), but there are some lovely chilled out bars in the town if you prefer. The very old Zum Turn with the nail game was one of my favourites.

It ranks alongside Val d'Isere as my favourite resort.

To be honest, it sounds like you won't be disappointed whichever one you choose!!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
HoneyBunny, Blush Embarassed Blush Embarassed
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was trying to chose between these exact two resorts for February 2014. Originally had accommodation booked in Saalbach but have ended up switching to Arabba purely because I was able to book up for the Snowheads Birthday Bash. They both sound great and I hope to make to Saalbach another year. I'm actually still a bit sad I'm not going there.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Well, I have been to both. Many times!

I would personally prefer Arabba as it offers much more range. You can get round the circus at Saalbach in about 4 hours and expect to ski the entire resort in a couple of days or so. In Arabba, it would take weeks to exhaust the possibilities. My preference obviously comes from my desire to travel about and have a range of experiences. Not everyone has that as a priority.

As far as eating and drinking is concerned, not much to choose. Food probably a bit more varied in the Dolomites. Beer prices about the same. Saalbach is more of a party town with lively bars, especially just after the ski-day ends. Arabba is quiet by comparison.

Both are nice places with excellent skiing.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

expect to ski the entire resort in a couple of days or so

That depends - we know people who have been there for several holidays and still haven't covered all of the various interlinked sectors (Schattberg East and West, Kohlmais, Leogang, Viehhofen, Bernkogel, Reiterkogel, Zwoelferkogel, Hochalm), and. after 10 years of skiing the 200 km of the Ski Circus, I'm still discovering pistes that I'd previously overlooked. But you're right to the extent that a good skier with stamina, going at it determinedly all day long for 'a couple of days or so' could at least feel that they had travelled to all corners of the area, if not covered every piste and explored every nook, cranny, bar and restaurant. I can't speak for Arabba, not having been there, but I'd like to visit the Dolomites one day (if I can break my addiction to après-ski! Madeye-Smiley )
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree, you'd have to be VERY determined and fit to ski everything in Saalbach/Hinterglemm in two days. In one week we certainly didn't, which is part of the reason we're returning. We didn't make it down to Leogang for a start, which I'd like to do.

I think saying you'd ski it out in two days is a bit misleading, it's a very big area. Also, the fast lifts make a big difference to the mileage you can cover.

I really would like to go to the Dolomites one day though, it really sounds beautiful. But yes, the Austrian apres does have that certain draw....! "AAALLLOOOOOOOOOOOO" Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Going with a large group of very good maturish intermediate/advanced to Saalbach at the end of January. We were there last year and are going back, read in to that what you like. What I will say is that Saalbach is more expensive than Soll, Mayrhofen and Schladming.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Off to Saalbach for our first trip of the season in Dec, before Chrimbo. My main concern is that as the resort is quite low any warm days and sun will result in very limited runs. But that is the risk with such an early trip but can't wait too long as the addiction needs to be satisfied!

Already suffering from webcam twitch!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Interesting to read the previous two comments - the feedback we usually get is that it's perceived as relatively inexpensive and also relatively high (for Austria,which, as has often been pointed out, has a lower snow-line than say France).

ADESki, If it's any reassurance, we go out in mid-December and have never had problems through lack of snow in the week and a half before Christmas. Also, because the lower slopes - even the south-facing ones - are for most of the day in the shade of the steep Schattberg and Zwoelferkogel mountains on the south side of the valley, and the snow doesn't have any power in December, we usually find that temperatures in the valley bottoms remain cold, even when the weather is fine and sunny. I know there's always a first time, but I see no reason to be pessimistic in the light of the current weather forecast.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scarlet Fez wrote:
Going with a large group of very good maturish intermediate/advanced to Saalbach at the end of January. We were there last year and are going back, read in to that what you like.

Sounds similar to us!

Well, apart from the 'very good' bit.

Our group has also been to Mayrhofen and Schladming, and I wouldn't say Saalbach is any more expensive. Bloody good fun though!

Apres is great and I loved the night skiing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy