Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obergurgl Ski Schools

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any experience with the Hochgurgl ski school? If so, how would you rate them? Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, I work as a Ski instructor in the Obergurgl ski school. The Hochgurgl ski school is very good. It is much smaller than the Obergurgl ski school so obviously has certain points that aren´t as good but others that are better. They offer a very good private lesson service. If you´d rather have group lessons you may find that the levels of the people in a group vary greatly due to the smaller total number of people. Likewise with the lessons for small children. Basically the bigger the ski school the better their facilities are likely to be. However the quality and experience of the instructor may be better at a smaller ski school. I hope that helps
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shreddyteddy, I hope you will forgive this thread hijack, but it is vaguely on topic......

We are three families who are planning to go to Obergurgle next March. One issue we face is that we don't wish to put the children into ski school all day, but just mornings only. I don't think that is possible in Obergurgl, is it? If all else fails I suppose we could get a private instructor and make our own group(s). Thoughts?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
shreddyteddy, many thanks for the input. My wife and I will be staying in Hochgurgl next week. I had heard great things about your ski school, but it seemed to be a bit of schlep to make it over to Obergurgl for lessons. With that said, you have a good point about the variability of groups. What levels do you teach? I might not take lessons, but my wife will. I'd say she is strong intermediate/advanced.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@foxtrotzulu,
You are right, it´s not possible to only have morning group courses. Some people do pay for the whole day and just don´t show up for the afternoon. This is a bad idea because you miss half of the days instruction and FUN, it spoils group dynamics and the instructor has the right to send you to the next group down if you miss important sessions.
If you only want instruction for half the day then book private courses. You will learn more as the instructor can be more specific and concentrate more on your personal problems. Bear in mind it´s best if more people are in a group, it´s best if they are of similar standard. It´s really hard to teach more people different levels at the same time, mainly because we teach different things in different areas of the resort. Likewise it´s best to keep adults and children separate. Kids learn in a different way to adults, it´s more about making it fun so that they learn subconciously. Adults learn a lot differently and aren´t as flexible wink I will always recommend private lessons over group courses for the better learning curve, but group courses can be great fun and less intense, especially for kids.
I hope that helps and you have a great holiday

@boofit,
As above I always recommend private lessons over group, as you get a much more personal service. It can be intense and tiring as there´s less standing around waiting, so don´t be afraid to cut a lesson short and grab a coffee if you´re exhausted. Also with a private lesson you could join your wife for a small extra cost, grab a few tips/constructive criticism and then head off to try things out while the instructor concentrates on teaching your wife. It´s hard to teach you both at the same time if you´re of different levels due to necessary terrain differences. You can always split the lesson as well.
I teach beginners and intermediates in Ski and Snowboard. If you are an advanced skier then make sure you ask for an advanced instructor, due to legalities of qualification levels and experience obviously.
It may be a bit of trek to Obergurgl from Hochgurgl and unnecessary if you choose private lessons, maybe worthwhile if you go for group courses.
Have a great trip Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
shreddyteddy, my wife enjoys the social aspect of the group lessons, so I'll chat with her and see if she wants to head over to Obergurgl. I'm a snowboarder, so joint lessons are out. In the past, if she's had a private lesson, I've tagged along for a few runs, and then head off on my own.

Another quick question, if you don't mind. What are the off piste conditions like, currently? I haven't been to Hochgurgl before, but it looks like there could be some good lift accessed off piste. If there aren't too many rocks, I was thinking I might get a guide for the day, and do a little splitboarding.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@boofit, as you are coming next week it might be worth bearing in mind that the ski school´s are still very quiet, the season doesn´t really get going until december. That means the group courses don´t have many participants and may be forced to hold a wider range of skier levels to make up numbers.
The conditions are brilliant. We´ve had two days of steady snow, I´ve just spent the day running knee deep powder with no worry of rocks Smile
Do you have a splitboard or do you need to rent one. Splitboards are coming in to trend this season but aren´t so readily available to rent. Get in touch with Andy at Wipeout Pro in Oetz, he has a good selection of top gear, or maybe contact the obergurgl shops in advance so that you´re not dissapointed.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shreddyteddy, I got my own splitboard last season, although I've only been out on it a couple of times. Had a couple of great days on it in Chamonix. Then I broke my wrist, and the season was ended. Thanks again for all the advice. Looking forward to a great start of the season!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shreddyteddy, Is it possible to reserve you through the ski school. We are arriving 14 Dec and have private lessons booked for my 7 year old who really progressed well last year with Rudi who sadly is not available this year. I'm sure a native English speaker would be a real help. Thanks in advance. The snow looks fantastic !
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blastfromthepast, maybe shreddyteddy is an Austrian who speaks terrific English? Sounds as though you are going to have a great holiday.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Blastfromthepast, thanks for the request and of course you can request me as your instructor through the Obergurgl ski school. However due to other commitments I´m only available Monday to Friday and as both a Snowboard & Ski instructor it could be that my boss needs me in a specific position for that week. My nickname is Ted, real name Paul Fieldhouse so you can ask the school. The Obergurgl ski school has many native english speakers (so I´m not the only one) and the majority of our other instructors speak very good english Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy