Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

too heavy for my skis!?????

Poster: A snowHead
Hello peeps, so i'm new here - be kind, please. If you can't be kind, be honest - i can take it, i think...
I have some Atomic Affinity Pure skis - which I love. snowHead They are 154cm long, sold to me by Snow and Rock - I asked for 160's but was advised against them even though at the time I weighed 65kg??? I am 5ft 7 and quite fit. Since I bought them I have quit smoking snowHead and gained "some" weight and am a 'lil' concerned I have, shall we say, out grown them! I now weigh, give or take, about 78kg Shocked Embarassed I like cycling, beer and curry, what can I say! My question is: do I need to get longer skis or can i safely ski on these? I am a solid wink intermediate who likes going fast and trying to improve her technique... I also have no immediate plans to give up beer or curry...
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think 78kg is still quite elfin. Wouldn't think it is too much for that length of ski.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Elfin!? Madeye-Smiley Really, its not. Esp not in my case. But it's damn kind of you to say so!!! Also thank you for replying!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
So, here we have a quite fit 5'7" lady into cycling beer, curry & skiing...I think I'm in love! Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's marketed at cruisy intermediates and, if you were saying you were a cruisy intermediate, I'd say that might well be an okay length, but if you're pushing yourself and your skis, then they may be a little soft. Not saying they are still too short, but they are a softer version of the Affinity Storm so it might be that if you were buying now, you'd go for the Storm instead.

I wouldn't necessarily replace them just yet, but if you're out in the mountains for a week or so this season, take a few out for a test from the shops in resort and see if you find something you prefer. It's not an absolute science, and comes down to what feels best suited to you as you ski.

Then if you find something you like, pick it up in the end of season sales Wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you'd have added "single", you would have sent many on here over the edge!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
frankEvb, welcome to snowheads. snowHead I'd agree with feef.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cycling will compensate for any beer or curry consumed - and it will mean you are not tired in the evenings after skiing all day long.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some bemused blushing later... Calm yourself gixxerniknik. Dear heart I must confess I am already spoken for...

Thanks Feef and Pam W, that is good news as i do SOOOOOO love my skis, not ready to part with them yet!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
frankEvb wrote:
Hello peeps, so i'm new here - be kind, please. If you can't be kind, be honest - i can take it, i think...
I have some Atomic Affinity Pure skis - which I love. snowHead They are 154cm long, sold to me by Snow and Rock - I asked for 160's but was advised against them even though at the time I weighed 65kg??? I am 5ft 7 and quite fit. Since I bought them I have quit smoking snowHead and gained "some" weight and am a 'lil' concerned I have, shall we say, out grown them! I now weigh, give or take, about 78kg Shocked Embarassed I like cycling, beer and curry, what can I say! My question is: do I need to get longer skis or can i safely ski on these? I am a solid wink intermediate who likes going fast and trying to improve her technique... I also have no immediate plans to give up beer or curry...

If you do want to loose some weight without giving up beer and curry you may want to check this thread out:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=93164&highlight=
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Too true, emwmarine! It just wouldn't do to be too tired for beer O' clock. that would be pants!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Nickyj, I did see that program and fancied the idea i just get a bit grumpsy when hungry, and that wouldnt go down too well at work - nurses have to be cheerful at all times! its hard to maintain "angelic" when your so hungry you'd happily eat your own feet!!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
frankEvb wrote:
do I need to get longer skis or can i safely ski on these? ...........

....... i do SOOOOOO love my skis

Put simply the answer to your question is that you can definitely ski safely on these. You definitely do not need new skis. There may be skis ou there better suited to you, but given your second statement, theres no problem sticking with what you have.

You may find your bindings now to be a little on the loose side, especially if you ski aggressively. If you find them releasing to early pop into a ski tech and get them tightened.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh well. As an alternative, I took up mountain biking a couple of years after giving up smoking, it halted the dreaded weight gain and now seems to have reversed it too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thank You SkiG, as with all things confidence in your kit brings peace of mind - and that is half the battle i find... Bring on the Shmittenhohe I cant wait - counting down already and we're not going till end of January!!! Might be able to get me down to something nearer 70kg by then...

Am trusting in "pedal power" to eventually halt the weight gain. But then given my somewhat stop/start approach to giving up the cigs (with i'm pleased to say much more stop than start) over the last three years, I am as yet to see any miraculous results. I live in hope... Smile

thanks all
latest report
You'll need to get the release settings changed (easy to do yourself with a screwdriver) and you might find with your additional umph you overpower the skis.
ski holidays
frankEvb, I'm of slightly larger proportions to you, somewhere between 5ft8 and 5ft9 and somewhere around 80kg (not keen on weighing myself for obvious reasons!). I also like curry, but not beer and my cycle has a 1,000cc engine so very little fitness potential. Anyway, back to skis, mine are 167cm in length. However, I did rent 159cm skis last March and I tried a couple of 155cm skis at a recent demo evening. For me personally the only drawback to shorter skis is that they feel a bit unstable at speed, but the advantage is they turn a lot easier (not to mention easier to carry, and get in and out of bubble lift slots). I personally probably wouldn't buy skis less than around 165 but only because I like the feeling of stability and I expect I will only get heavier as I get older...
snow report
queen bodecia, try weightlifting the bike, it may work Wink (actually, my recollections of riding a motorbike are that it can be damn hard work anyway, though it was motocross).

frankEvb, I'm male, 5'11 and somewhere around 90 kg. I was perfectly happy on 167s GS skis, though my current 181 are definitely more stable, if harder to turn and require more speed. I agree with the previous posts that what you have may not be "the best" in theory, but if you love them in practice, don't let marketing put asunder what snow has joined. Or something like that, anyway.
snow conditions
frankEvb, I have Affinity Pure skiis too ! and I love' em. I have the 148cm I am 5ft 2 and weigh about 55 kgs . They are perfect for me and I agree that confidence in your gear counts for alot. This doesnt really help with your original post but just wanted to share the love ....of the skiis Very Happy
( Dare I say the colours great too...NOT GIRLY PINK)
ski holidays
LizzieB, This may prove contavercial but here goes nothing...
Well said that woman! They are fab arent they! The reason I chose them is because the colours are perfect. I'd wanted my own skis for a while but was always put off by the what passes for female inspired colours! I have last years checked ones - with orange on - a proper colour (my boots are black and orange Very Happy ). Anyone who knows me knows I 'don't do pink' ever. I firmly believe anyone over the age of toddler wearing pink ought to get themself checked and treated for deep seated pathological troubles... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
frankEvb, I've gone down from 99kg to 83kg through this 2 day fasting diet. The weight just seemed to fall off. It has made a huge differenc eto going up hills on my road bike.

Might change the release settings on the bindings but that's about it. Although, I usually put on a big slab of weight when skiing.
latest report
If your on the piste frankEvb enjoy the feel of 160cm

It may be different when you come to ski "Off Pizza"
ski holidays
Other than being coloured pink, what's the difference in design between a woman's ski for a specific ability/ weight versus the same thing designed for a male?

In bikes I can see that you need different geometry, but what's the issue in skis/ snowboards?
latest report
Length and mounting point are 2 differences between say, the Rossi Saffron 7 and Sin 7 - otherwise same side cut and materials I believe in that ski. But also materials may be different to give more flex, less stiffness in a female version as well. Binding mount point difference to take account of different centre of gravity.
snow report
Quote:

The reason I chose them is because the colours are perfect.

I cant think of any better reason to choose a pair of skis ...
"God punishes those who don't co-ordinate!"
ski holidays
mishmash wrote:
Length and mounting point are 2 differences between say, the Rossi Saffron 7 and Sin 7 - otherwise same side cut and materials I believe in that ski. But also materials may be different to give more flex, less stiffness in a female version as well. Binding mount point difference to take account of different centre of gravity.

If the "lady" model of a given ski is the same thing only softer, then that's not really a female specific ski, it's a marketing concept.

A quick google (ignoring non-scientific sources) suggests that the female CofG is slightly lower than the male, relative to standing height. I haven't found anything to suggest it's shifted in any other direction.

You can shift your CofG by carrying a pack, sporting a beer gut, or riding upright or more compressed, and for none of those do you need specific skis, so I'm finding that an interesting idea, but unconvincing.

In what way would a higher or lower CofG need to be reflected in how you mount the bindings? If it did need to be so reflected, why can't standard adjustments deal with it? Should blokes with beer guts buy female specific skis?

I'm pretty sure the women skiers I've ridden with don't ride on women's skis, maybe this is why?

--
(I don't know about skis, but all snowboards should be black, it's the new black.)
ski holidays
I know this may be controversial and I am old fashioned but I would have thought 154 would be a bit short for a decent skier who likes to go fast at your height. The weight issue is more pertinent to the softness of the ski. Try some longer and stiffer ones and see the difference.
You can ski on any ski...my 6 foot 13 st OH had a go on my 154s (withiout much enjoyment for him but we laughed a lot!!) and I used to ski 165/170 back in the day. I'm 5'2".
PS my 154s are too short... I really wish I had got 159!! You learn by your mistakes. Very Happy

PS My skis ARE black!!
snow conditions
philwig wrote:
mishmash wrote:

If the "lady" model of a given ski is the same thing only softer, then that's not really a female specific ski, it's a marketing concept.

A quick google (ignoring non-scientific sources) suggests that the female CofG is slightly lower than the male, relative to standing height. I haven't found anything to suggest it's shifted in any other direction.

You can shift your CofG by carrying a pack, sporting a beer gut, or riding upright or more compressed, and for none of those do you need specific skis, so I'm finding that an interesting idea, but unconvincing.

In what way would a higher or lower CofG need to be reflected in how you mount the bindings? If it did need to be so reflected, why can't standard adjustments deal with it? Should blokes with beer guts buy female specific skis?

I'm pretty sure the women skiers I've ridden with don't ride on women's skis, maybe this is why?

--
(I don't know about skis, but all snowboards should be black, it's the new black.)

I didn't say it was a good idea, just what I ve been told ! I'm sure that is why competent experienced skiers of both genders pick their own skis, not what is marketed to them. OTOH, my wife wants me to pick her skis, and I as I know her physical characteristics re weight, COG, strength etc I have tended to pick women specific skis and she has been pretty happy with them!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Absolutely, just trying to reason it out.
latest report
philwig, none of the girls skiers I ski with use ladies skis.
ski holidays
my missus has stumpy little legs and a beer gut, is a bit of a unit and is often seen in the english botty and poles up, head down schuss at walking pace ! Crying or Very sad ...
should she be on "lady" skis ?
latest report
I have had one set of ladies skis and 2 sets of man's skis - FWIW I have preferred the mens skis. The day I tested an advanced set of ladies skis I was unimpressed.
snow report
limegreen1 wrote:
my missus has stumpy little legs and a beer gut,

You know how to paint a wonderful mental picture.
latest report
I think 160 would have been a better length for you.
ski holidays
philwig wrote:

This is quite interesting in the mix : " The project was kicked off by a study showing that women are much more likely to injure their knees while skiing then men" - volkl 's special bio-technology blah blah etc
http://www.volkl.com/us/skis/technology/bio-logic-womens-technology/bio-logic.html which tells us why they design Women's skis differently.

Also referenced here - 2 - 3 times more likely !! http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104740#2399824
ski holidays
mishmash wrote:
philwig wrote:

This is quite interesting in the mix : " The project was kicked off by a study showing that women are much more likely to injure their knees while skiing then men" - volkl 's special bio-technology blah blah etc
http://www.volkl.com/us/skis/technology/bio-logic-womens-technology/bio-logic.html which tells us why they design Women's skis differently.

Also referenced here - 2 - 3 times more likely !! http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104740#2399824

Not really related to ski design (yet?!), but interesting - knee injuries in women also depends on menstrual cycle: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2547857/
latest report
finestgreen, Erm... Older ladies hurt their knees as much and they are beyond all that...I think it's probably that if you are in the doo-lally stage of your (P)MT you perhaps aren't as alert as you should be??
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy