Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First trip to Tignes Any advice?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi. After much debate re where to go (on here & at home!!) we found a nice big apartment with skibrev on tignes. Despite having been a skier for about 20 years never actually skied espace killy so would appreciate any hints/tips. Skibrev can take u in minibus to/from slopes if required plus we have a car with us anyway. 2 teenage boys, 16 & 14 to keep entertained. Thankfully apartment does have WiFi! We normally eat out for lunch & I cook something at night. Plan to stop off at bourg (have it in my head there is a big supermarket at one of the roundabouts on way through?) to get food shopping. We r Scots so hogmanay always big thing here! What is party in tignes like? Anyway really looking forward to our trip. Any advice re where to ski/eat/whatever would b great thanks! Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not much nightlife in Les Breviers compared to Val or Tignes le Lac. It is a bit isolated as there is no bus, but taxis are possible. 16 and 14 is still on the young side for the discos in Val or Tignes , although I know some 17 year old girls (and younger) go to discos in Val over New Year. (I was in a chalet over new year once many years ago)
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Not looking at clubbing or anything like that. Quiet w nice pub would suit me fine Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
malarkey99, some - perhaps most - of the skiing in the main Tignes bowl is dull. The best of EK is over on the Val d'Isere side and round the Tignes edges...

The runs down to Brev & Boisses are great for example, and the glacier is also an experience

Can't help with Apres - I'm a pipe and slippers man myself in the evenings
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
malarkey99, Enjoy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy The skiing is not dull rolling eyes

Tignes new year eve party http://www.tignes.net/en/agenda-events/fire-mix-party-by-joachim-garraud-1254.html
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The skiing is far from dull, and NYE is IMMENSE on the Glacier
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I should say one of the times I have walked up the 5km from Tignes les Boisses to Tignes le lac was when I missed the last bus at 8.30 and was going to the Tignes new year party. I also walked back down after the bells. I got offers of a lift both ways, but I enjoyed the walk and did not need a lift.

It does not take very long to walk 5km, particularly going downhill.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bigtipper wrote:
I should say one of the times I have walked up the 5km from Tignes les Boisses to Tignes le lac was when I missed the last bus at 8.30 and was going to the Tignes new year party. I also walked back down after the bells. I got offers of a lift both ways, but I enjoyed the walk and did not need a lift.

It does not take very long to walk 5km, particularly going downhill.

it's a 2KM walk, you just weaved Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Enjoy yourself, it's brilliant
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://www.maplandia.com/france/rhone-alpes/savoie/albertville/tignes/

Standee, I measured it, it was definitely 5km but I am not a crow and I do not fly!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks 4 info. Wish I could go skiing NOW! We r just over an hour from the Scottish ski slopes so waiting for the winter weather to set in properly like the papers keep predicting. Would b good to get the planks on b4 the hol. Re Tignes. Any tips on fave runs??
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Went to Tignes Lavachet in January. Huge variety of skiing around Espace Killy and due to the height the snow was in great condition all day.
Some tips

Avoid the Santons run into Val - horrible narrow tube like run that seems to go on forever, littered with fallen skiers and long flat run out at the end.

It can get really cold and windy up on the glacier - wrap up warm!

Avoid the Trolles black run at the end of the day - gets too busy. As you're in brev shouldn't be necessary.

Good runs
I enjoyed the section at Ski d'Ete because it was so quiet.
Ski tranquil area is marked green but many of the runs are probably blue - found this really good for practicing carving which I'm only just starting to get into.
Face Olympique seems to have a bit of a reputation. I did it in quite benign conditions and really enjoyed it. Relentlessly steep, so did get the quads aching.

We went with Ski Olympic who at the time were still doing the ski hosting. The downside of that is that other than the above I can't remember which runs we were actuall on!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We've stayed in Les Brevieres 3 times in the past 4 years - one of my favourite places to ski!

It's a small place, and as others have said not linked by buses in the evening to the other tignes resorts, however there are a few good bars and eating options in the village. For Apres there are a couple of bars directly at the bottom of the slopes - one of which does a great vin chaud served from a huge bubbling pan outside which helps you stay warm as you huddle under the patio heaters. For the evening you have Vincents which is run by a very friendly Dutch couple, and the Underground just opposite. Both stay open late and i think have live music on some nights. Les Brevs is very small though so you'll easily find where everyone's at. There's a handful of restaurants all serving traditional alpine food.

In terms of on mountain, there's a great restaurant up at Signal above Le Fornet (Val D'Isere side of the resort - so far left of the piste map) - best on mountain food we've found in Espace Killy and perfectly doable for any intermediates to ski from Les Brev across to here for lunch and back. They do a good burger at the place as you come off the funicular to The Grand Motte glacier too. The food inside is reasonable, but expensive, but the burger kiosk on the deck outside is really good.

Best runs - face and double M coming down Grande Motte glacier, the views are spectacular and the snow is always the best to be found in EK. The other glacier on the VD side is worth a visit too - and can be less busy than Grande Motte. Contary to above - i actually enjoy Santons, WHEN it's in good condition (i too have been down it in March when it was an icy half pipe of death!) - but if there's good snow coverage, and you hit it early it can be one of the most fun runs you'll ever do looping up and down the natural half pipe (warning it can make you dizzy - and you do have to scare yourself silly schussing towards the end to avoid walking on the long run out). Finally Sache is a fabulous black which takes you back to Les Brevieres - very peaceful as no other runs nearby, and there is only really one very black steep/narrow/mogulled section towards the end (you can see it as you look up from the base of the moutain at Les Brev). Piste H (Henri) from Toviere is a great wide blue, nice gradient, good for practicing on although it can get busy. When you buy your lift passes if you arent beginners then make sure you buy the Espace Killy pass and not just the Tignes one - not a huge difference in price but gives you twice the area to ski - at Tignes/VD very well linked.

Enjoy!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tignes has it all (that I look for). My favourite resort (in combo with Val d'Isere).
For start it is extensive with more than a little bit of everything
Excellent snow
Nice wide not too steep pistes to build confidence on (eg ski tranquille)
"Glory reds" - ie where someone not that good at skiing can safely build up speed (steep sections with flatter bits between; well groomed and no mogulled sections) and with enough turns and changes to keep variety, many with the bones of 1000m descent so real thigh burners (eg double M, OK). Overall I think reds steeper than reds in most other resorts.
Seriously steep groomers, some which are real tests of your skiing (Face). Others where a bad skiier can pick a line and let rip (descent, trolles)
Mogul runs
Some gnarly blacks to really test you (eg paquerettes, some of the other Naturide ones in Val)
Some very interesting runs, quiet, isolated (Guerlain Chicheret, this is nearly spooky); varied terrain, open, trees (Sache, Foret, Triffolet)
Some great Naturide runs which are not too difficult but give you the real off-piste feeling (eg envers de Campanules; silene, marmottons) - usually quiet, keep good snow; Golf a particularly good one which is also decently steep
Bascially, you can do whatever you are in mood for on piste, and choice within that.
It is extremely well connected with queues not a problem so you spend most of your time skiing. Most lodging ski in-out or not far off
Then there is the off-piste.....
Big choice of schools and guides if you want
Notice I have said nothing about nightlife, transfer times, prettiness of village. I personally don't worry too much about those
Am going to Les Arcs in Feb but still hoping to get week in Tignes in March.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We stayed in tignes les brevs earlier this year, such a pretty little village. The church even stops chiming between 11 and 7 so you are guaranteed a good sleep! It has a small Sherpa shop and we really enjoyed Vincent's bar, good atmosphere. The Buddha bar at the bottom of the ski lift is cute too.

However... We found it a faff to get anywhere. For some unknown reason, les brev isn't linked to the ski bus system so nearest you can do is to les boisses then ski a traverse blue into les brevs. The red into the village is fun but can get icy by end of day. IRRC, you get the gondola straight from les brev then a chair from les boisses into le lac area where the fun really begins!

We skied over to val one day (ha, Samons was interesting but has a lovely hotel with sunbathing area at the bottom for much needed chocolat chaud/beers) and made it to la folie douce, very much fun. Think your teens may enjoy mid afternoon house music extravaganza and amazing people watching!

The glacier was the coldest place I have ever been (think nosebleed level of cold) but great skiing and views.

Enjoy!!
latest report
Ps I should probably caveat my response - the previous year we'd been to les arcs and stayed in a hotel on the piste in 1800. Totally spoilt for connections!
snow conditions
peezafreeza, Much better connectivity in all of the other villages. Personally I like Val Claret the best.
ski holidays
You quiet nice pub is Vincent's Bar. Menno and Ingrid run a really friendly pub busy with locals as much as with visitors.
ski holidays
The ski-ing is awesome we have been 5 times stayed in Lavachet [2 times] & Le Lac [3 times] & whatever you do you should visit the Alpaka bar - fantastic beer & food!
snow report
The Grizzly bar is a fairly cool place in Val Claret and just along from there is La Pignatta for fantastic pizzas
snow report
Quote:
The Grizzly bar is a fairly cool place in Val Claret
Agreed - but on my first (and last ever) visit three years ago I was charged an eye watering €24 Shocked for three (33cl) bottles of beer. The draft was off as they were winding down at the end of the season.
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
The Grizzly bar is a fairly cool place in Val Claret
Agreed - but on my first (and last ever) visit three years ago I was charged an eye watering €24 Shocked for three (33cl) bottles of beer. The draft was off as they were winding down at the end of the season.

You are a bit out of date, 3 beers now 30 Euro ! Sad But its a very chilled atmosphere and we found our selves in there most nights for a nightcap, its just not the place to get mullered rolling eyes
snow conditions
mountainaddict, funny that......the draft beer was off when we were there..... Shocked wink
snow conditions
landlockedpirate wrote:

You are a bit out of date, 3 beers now 30 Euro !

That's gotta be a pretty special bottle of beer for €10. Even if I was a billionaire I just couldn't enjoy a drink if I was being taken for a mug
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy