Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier 2013/2014 -webcams and reports

Poster: A snowHead
myself and some others skied in Puy St Vincent today. 4 groups skied off-piste over from Monetier and down towards Pelvoux. Some still not back at the hotel. Pistes were in great condition despite the strong sunshine.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Kevin, I sympathise.............but today has to go down as one of my best ever touring days Madeye-Smiley

As you know I was meant to be going with a few friends but in the end it was "tout seul" and I was chuffed at my route planning / navigation etc (all stuff you mountaineers take for granted) but for me in the mountains doing this type of stuff solo (that's what you have a guide for) is still quite demanding (waking up early worrying if I'm doing the right thing) etc.

Final approach to the Col was a bit tricky with recent slides and I went high to avoid a tricky cornice but the descent was so much better than I'd hoped for, and powder Very Happy

I left Monetier at 09:10 and arrived in Nevache at 13:50, some 1200m vertical and 16.5km.

I too had some technical issues, as you know picked my skis up and made the classic mistake of not checking my bindings, they were fine going up but when I went to go into descent mode the back pins were nigh on an inch out, luckily I had a screw driver otherwise would have had to learn some style of telemarking very quickly.

And yes, I'm nursing a couple of broken blisters as well, but when ever it gets warm I get them, just hope they'll dry out.

And a big thanks to Elaine for driving round to Nevache to collect me Smile

More pictures and full report and route profile etc here

And Hells Bells, funny I was looking at that (Pelvoux) as an option for today, but with a bit of skinning as well, but OH prefers driving to Nevache and it's shorter I think.

I hiked up from Chambran in the summer a fair way, and that is one of the classic routes.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just looked at snow-forecast and next Sat (22nd March) there is heavy snow forecast for here , now we all know that looking that far forward is no means a certainty, however I'm a great believer in sods law, and do think it could be ironic as I have five mates* coming out then with a guide booked for a big week of ski touring in the Queyras Shocked

* and one we do refer to as the snow god as when ever he turns up he brings the snow!

Friend staying with us this coming week has now had to move his lessons to Ski Connections and their ski pack looks very good value, with ski hire, six mornings of lessons, ski pass and insurance all for €370 don't know how that compares ?

Wonder what big descent they have planned for the "Off Piste Bash" today ?

Hopefully some will see the light and do some touring Cool
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Weathercam,

We looked at the ski pack for the beginner in our group for next week and the one thing we couldn't get a straight answer out of them for was whether it was a local beginners pass, a Villeneuve pass or an area pass. Certainly looks good value on the face of it but the pass situation could muddy that a bit.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hacel, just spoken to them and the pass is the "Grand Serre Pass" I phrased the question more than once and was assured that if come the end of the week we took our friend up to Monetier would the pass work and the answer was a resounding "yes"

Though this is France, and the usual caveats apply wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Good to know Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
[quote="Weathercam"]Just looked at snow-forecast and next Sat (22nd March) there is heavy snow forecast for here , now we all know that looking that far forward is no means a certainty, however I'm a great believer in sods law, and do think it could be ironic as I have five mates* coming out then with a guide booked for a big week of ski touring in the Queyras Shocked

Well that's sods law happening the day we leave> however, I shall simply enjoy what we have. Hopefully will get some cheeky turns in tomorrow afternoon.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Weathercam,
Congrats on that traverse Gavin. Great effort, especially on your own when you have only yourself to rely on and all those little decisions suddenly get bigger and somehow more serious. And if you're eating up the altitude at 500m per hour that's all the more impressive.

Today, after Bruno's further ministrations on Antoinette's boots, it looks like we might be making real progress. Our plan was to walk the ski du fond route to Les Fonds for lunch and slide easily down. What we didn't realise is that after the initial climb, the route descends and then flattens out. So in the end we didn't press on regardless...we took the sensible option and turned round. A 'short cut' back to Cervieres turned out a little differently when we had to ski round rocks and for one short section of 30-40 metres we had to take off the skis to get past a mini landslide!!

It's all adds to knowledge and experience and on that basis was worthwhile.... Plus of course the feet stood up (sic!) to a few more hours marching in the sun.

Tomorrow we might just go skiing in the resort....it will be our last time this year!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ok had a sneaky couple of hours today. Plenty of snow on the pistes. Snow soft but not slushy this afternoon. Bit of a wind at altitude and some of higher chairs were closed for a little while. My skiing was rubbish. Hopefully it was tiredness.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi ho hi ho it's off to ski school we go Laughing

One three year old and one six year old off to ski school and our forty plus friend - just as well we didn't go ski touring as so warm already!

Anyway took my touring boots to Bruno and will not get them back till Wed (few hot spots and a big week coming up week after next), not a major issue looking at the warm temps that are forecast for the next couple of days.

So will be doing a bit of piste guiding with the children's parents on sunny warm slopes.

Still seems like a lot of people in resort, will have a better idea tomorrow, though the guys in the ski shop yesterday were so relieved the mad period is over and a sense of calm coming over everyone.

And our friend is in ski school along evidently with a friend of Hacel and maybe just someone else, almost private lessons - tis a good week to be out!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Pretty warm today. Pistes holding up well. Soft snow rather than slush. Windy at the very top. Great lesson this afternoon with Darren turner.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
One very happy "client" in the apartment this afternoon, and so he should be, great to see total beginners progress so quickly, just he and Joanna came down the Mickey to the Grotte at lunchtime in control looking very solid after only a few hours.

Then he went back out with the OH for another hour or so.

Don't know how our other friends got on as due to strong winds the bubbles were closed so the young ones were taken up to Monetier and parents went with them.

Evidently some very big queues up top (which thankfully we missed) as some chairs were shut due to wind and mechanical issues as well as the main Rocher chair back from Briancon.

Before lunch I went exploring a chemain below Aiguillette chair that heads off in a Briancon direction then comes back to St Chaffery and Chantermerle, sussing out potential routes probably for next season now as it's an area we never really skied after a fresh dump, so an option of rather skiing here (Villeneuve) or driving to Monetier go to Chantermerle instead.

Forecast for next weekend onwards keeps changing but looking positive, though does not look like classic touring weather, not too sure my friends will complain though if we end up skiing fresh snow as long as it's not sludge, might be classic La Grave though Cool
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dan100, didn't know you were with Darren, he's the man Cool

We were force feeding our "client" all his videos last evening Toofy Grin

http://www.youtube.com/user/elatemedia
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hey All
For our last outing of the season we decided to try the Col des Thures in the Claree valley. Short, a round trip of 11km and not too much height gain, 600m, it was perfect for our purpose.

What we found out about it was that it is essentially a raquette route as the climb through the forest is just too narrow and steep to ski. And that's why we saw only two other skiers and a bunch or racketeers (if that's the collective noun Very Happy ). Otherwise it was a very pleasant trip with a vast expanse of very gentle slopes - actually too gentle - leading to the col proper.

The lake at the col was snowed over and one hopes frozen through....we didn't try it!

Anyhow, it was another bit of discovery, somewhere we hadn't been but if you're looking for an easy day out on the skis, the Col des Thures should not be your first choice.

For those that remain for another week or the rest of the season, enjoy all that is on offer. It really is fantastic.

Oh, and did I mention the rugby? No, I don't think I did.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kevin Byrne, and a damn fine match it was, great to see you and A hopefully do something next season, or see you in the summer ?

That's the trouble with many of the routes out of Nevache etc first hour or two is a footpath before things open up.

I now might be heading Grand Paradiso Wed evening for a couple of days, subject to boots etc then back here Sat for week touring or not, looking at the forecast rolling eyes
latest report
Kevin Byrne, apologies for not making it down to Villeneuve and the rugby last night. Something else got in the way. We skied over as far as the Vallons de Cucuamelle this morming before going back across to monetier, lifts over here were all open, although Col d'Eychauda pretty windy on the way back.
snow conditions
Weathercam,
Thanks Gavin. Yes, hopefully see you in Summer...end July on current plans. Good luck in the Gran Paradiso...first 4,000m peak? One definitely on my wish list. And hopefully the weather won't let you down for the week's touring. Let us know how Bruno does with your boots.

Hells Bells,
Helen, pity we missed each other. Actually we went skiing in the resort on Sunday. Skied from Briancon up to Monetier and then back again taking a few runs in along the way. Pistes were lovely early on but the heat of the day was having its effect by midday.

Unbelievably I had two minor incidents on two lifts one after the other on Sunday....what happened on the Eychauda was my rucksack got caught on something behind me and I couldn't get free quick enough...I ended up being dragged back round before the safety bar stopped the lift. Phew! Embarrassing and a bit frightening. All because I thought I should take off the sack and have it on my lap. So I did that on the next lift (back up to the Cucumelle) and astonishingly a buckle got caught and though I got off, the bag didn't and I got knocked over. Two incidents one immediately after the other! I'm sure there were people behind us using some choice language to describe my ineptitude....watch out for that geriatric...he might be more than just a danger to himself. Helen, maybe you were one of those people!!! It was the only time I've ever looked for a crevasse to hide in....never mind the fact that there is no glacier. Anyhow, chastened but unhurt we skied quickly away....Tally ho...
latest report
The last few days have been very very different to the season so far.

Our various friends are having a great time, and the weather is glorious for them.

Young kiddies (3 & 6) really enjoying ski school and no tantrums so parents can go off skiing relaxed, and our beginner friend is doing really well and lovin it.

Yesterday we took the "parents" for a blast around the Mountain whilst kiddies were in ski school, and I was using a friends full on slalom race carving ski, or something along those lines, and I've never skied anything like that before, though snow was a wee bit soft to fully appreciate what it can do, never the less great fun and almost tempted, think if we'd had three weeks of boiler plate then I might have.

Then back down to the Grotte to meet up with everyone, and everyone was out in T's and shorts, we then went back home and walked back down there later for St Paddys day apres which was good and our friends not quite believing how chilled it all was and was it like this all the time ?

Then after the sun went down off to Briancon to do a shop and that was a nightmare, worst queues I've ever experienced in there, don't know why, then up to the old town to show friend around there. Then called in to Mojos on the way back and met up with some other people not seen for a while and who we've been skiing with this morning, and all in temps nudging 20's.

Elaine and I are saying it's like we're on holiday rolling eyes

So back home to do some work and write bollox on here before walking back down to the Grotte for more music etc

I've canned going to Gran Paradiso as want holes in feet to get better and still have to go and see Bruno to collect my boots.

Focus is also on next week and what we might end up getting or not, trying not to make plans, just saying "wait and see" as four more friends coming for what is meant to be a touring week, but could well be back to La Grave for powder as it will be empty Cool

Pic from yesterday
snow report
Weathercam,
Sorry the Gran Paradiso is out. Could have been nice. Maybe just as well though as avalanche risk now back up to 3 due to the heat and resultant water penetration through the snow pack. With the poor foundation from the start of the season - that hasn't gone away - care is still very much needed.
snow report
Kevin Byrne, I managed to slide over the back of someone's ski last week, so I wouldn't worry too much about getting a rucksack caught. He was angry enough, despite my apology to follow me up Yret and start shouting at me Embarassed . Stuck around Monetier today apart from a brief trip down the Cucumelle, hubby has 'hurty-leg' after a tumble on Montagnol yesterday, but i was joined by Claude B over from Les Deux-Alpes. Snow was soft but is still holiding up well. The fresh stuff forecast at the weekend will be very welcome, but its a shame w'll have to go home on Saturday morning.
snow report
Kevin Byrne, been a few more slides around the last couple of days looking around, one in front of us above Club Med which is N facing (well away from the pistes I hasten to add).

So all the talk is whether it will be the wrong type of snow this next coming fall rolling eyes

Cocoon bar tonight was really busy, and car park very busy, no logic as to why, Crystal and Eric (who run the bar) didn't know why either, so another rolling eyes rolling eyes

PS Bruno appointment now put back to Thursday night anyway Sad
snow conditions
The exit from the Claree Valley and the splendid isolation of the col...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 18-03-14 23:56; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions

Exit from the forest...
ski holidays

Col des Thures
latest report
Was going to do a repeat of off the back of Eychauda today, but in the end decided it was getting too warm already by 09:30 and risk was 1 going to three so bailed as we had stuff to do, and just as well as had tradesmen issues on a property back in the UK so various phone calls.

We did go up behind us for a quick hike finding a path and route that is now logged for next year.

Then in the afternoon we went up with our "client" who is now on his third day and took him all the way from the top down via greens and blues.

Before we set off from Pontillas, my mate was in the car park with all his family skate boarding along with a few other locals with their kids (as it was Wednesday afternoon), they did think that the snow would have melted from the skate board area, but no.

What was ironic said friend is a La Grave guide and who is guiding us next week, so we had an amusing chat about the fact that it might not exactly be touring next week, and the latest forecast sort of confirms that, now snow Sat onwards Shocked

snow report
Weathercam,

Oh-yeah....... Laughing

Still grining!
ski holidays
ADESki, All change again for us Sad

Anyway no doubt will all change as we get nearer, we hope Cool
latest report
Weathercam,
Yeah saw that this am....... But it's still snow so.....

Still grinning (although through gritted teeth and looking like some tony B-liar improv show!) Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
More snow just in time for my visit on 5th April. Am planning on heading to La Grave while I'm there (in a group with a guide), never been before so looking forward to it.
snow conditions
Oh well each to their own, this was the Cucumelle Bouchon as all the UCPA off pistes groups were doing their last day hike rolling eyes

Think I counted nigh on thirty climbing with another group getting ready!

Whilst we on the other hand opted to get away from everyone.

And found some classic spring snow

More pictures and story here

And going to be an interesting couple of days weather wise, wonder what the snow gods will deliver.

White Doctor day in Serre Chevalier day tomorrow, if you have some White Doctors you get a free pass, lunch on the mountain and drinks at the end of the day all courtesy of Bob and Serre Che tourist office. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
For anyone coming out to ski the pistes there is still plenty of snow and lots of good skiing to be had. Pistes have held up remarkably well given warm temperatures though fresh snow obviously welcome for those coming in the next few weeks. Certainly you have to accept there will be soft snow and heavy snow Un the afternoon. My recommendation is to start towards the prorel chair in chantlemerle in the morning and ski down to briancon on mid station (don't ski down to the bottom not now worth the trouble) then ski off the various runs off the prorel chair in the morning and then start working your way across through Villeneuve sector in the morning. Lovely snow off clot gaudier chair and then take the Vallons lift up to monetier (if there earlyish ski cucuamelle before it gets chopped up). Then ski the monetier sector in the afternoon. All the runs off the trees were great fun this afternoon. Snow soft snow rather than heavy. If your legs are feeling strong ski back in reverse. Be warned cucuamelle and bez will be very heavy mid to late afternoon if weather is warm and you better like slushy bumps. Great week's skiing nice to report I feel my skiing has come on. Much more confident in bumps than previous years and feel I have a better technique after a private lesson with Darren turner. Last half day's skiing tomorrow. Managed to ski of 8 days Very Happy
snow report
Thanks Dan100 for the info/updates. Off to SC on Tuesday, can't wait Smile
snow report
Raining, even high up Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
Went up the hill for the worst ski of the season Crying or Very sad

Rain to 2,000m then some sort of wet snow at the top of Vallons, and obviously no viz.

Only interesting part was that we skied down with a disabled guy who had White Doctor skis on his bucket, and we took him to the Pia Mai as he needed a push at times where all his friends were waiting for him, and we were greeted with wine and cheese for helping him get down, think he might be quite well known judging by the reception he received.

Off to Claviere for a pizza
ski holidays
Snow line on the way up to Montgenevre was around 1600 and 1500 by the time we came back down after pizza and coffee.

Very wet in Briancon, hoping temp will fall a lot more overnight.

Friends arriving soon having come over Lautaret.

My neighbor is waiting for her daughter to arrive driving down from Paris, and she was using the GPS which was having her go over Col du Galibier, classic rolling eyes
snow report
Friends arrived yesterday and brought the snow with them, did think that today would be a zero viz day but as you can see not the case, though weather did close in early afternoon with a sudden return to winter, and coldest it's been all season!

Only issue is what we're going to be doing this week, as we were meant to be touring rolling eyes

More pictures and story here
ski holidays
Last day yesterday Sad piste conditions around chantlemerle had really freshened up nicely bar the lower part of luc alphand below about 1600 metres the snow rain line and aguilette which for some reason hasn't been pisted. Still plenty of swine in sere chevalier. For those of you lucky to go out or are out there now enjoy.
snow conditions
Just to add to dan's comments, conditions on the pistes were surprisingly great all last week. Personally I'd avoid Briancon sector as even in the morning the snow was a little sparse in places (though the top runs off Prorel were still nice), in contrast to the other sectors which had the typical hard packed pistes first thing and only got noticeably slushly in the later afternoon. Clot Gauthier, Ciboult and the runs down to Monetier seemed to hold up particularly well (probably due to being more Northerly facing than other areas?). Monetier first thing was practically empty as well, managed a couple of lovely fast runs down Corvaria without seeing a single soul. Reminds me why I love Serre Che actually - lots of fast cruising well-groomed pistes through the trees in sunshine yet with few people on them.

All in all a fantastic week skiing. I usually prefer my January trip weather-wise as the cold gives great snow conditions all day, but skiing in the sun with great conditions for 2/3 of the day, and surprisingly skiable conditions (for me at least) for the other 1/3 meant I could ski until 5 enjoyably. Was expecting to have to have shorter days, so very happy that wasn't the case. Just a lot of work on the legs coming down the Luc Alphand in the late afternoon - really earned the apres ski and cake.
snow report
Can echo Droque's comments on coming down Luc Alphand particuarly after Cucamelle and Le Bez's slushy bumps. It would be interested to work out how much extra skiing you do because of lack of lift queues. Last week it was certainly worth skiing the Briancon runs off Porel to the mid station. IMHO not worth skiing down to the bottom station.
latest report
Anyone else going to be in Serre Chevalier from 5th April?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy