Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Relevant avalanche scenarios for St. Anton, Stuben, Zuers and Lech 2012/13

Poster: A snowHead
The new official avalanche report for 2012/13 austria is now available. In the book are all recorded avalanche accidents from austria with analyses and details.

Here is a link where you can download it.
Unfortunately the new report is not online yet:

Soon to download it here: http://lawine.tirol.gv.at/archiv/winterberichte/

I did a summary about the relevant avalanche scenarios for St. Anton, Stuben, Zuers and Lech 2012/13.
http://alloffpiste.com/skiing/season-report-austrian-avalanche-warning-service-201213/

Many accidents where in "standard off piste terrain".
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Franz, many thanks, this is really useful!

Great skiing with you - and I still love the pic of me bursting through the trees which is on your site.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
franztrimmel, very useful, thanks! The blog and the new site look great Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
franztrimmel, Thank you for the translated pages.

This reminds me that I've not seen the annual French analysis from davidof.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very useful, franztrimmel- I shall look at this with a map later . It is good to have a St Anton guide posting on Snowheads Very Happy

Horizon, is this the other guide you and Costin recommended to me (along with Pio Jutz)? I can't seem to find the email.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi, franztrimmel, that is fascinating reading.

Does that cover all avalanche incidents in Arlberg last year?

And do you know what avalanche risk was that day?

I would be very interested in your personal opinion, in how many of these incidents do you think that the average mountain guide would have recognized the risk and not chosen that route, and in how many would it have been very difficult to recognize the danger at the time?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nice, thanks for that!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
franztrimmel, sobering reading, many thanks for the translation.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Danke und Servus Franz, viel glück und Erfolg mit "ALL OFF PISTE".
http://alloffpiste.com/skiing/
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
again many thanks for the translation - amazing how close to the piste some of these were - john
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
peanuthead, The estimated number of unknown cases is much higher. In this report are just accidents which are reported by the police.
I would say there where about 2 times more.

Anyway here are the avalanche risk levels for the certain accident:

Wöster (1): AVALANCHE RISK LEVEL: 3
Törli (2) : ARL: 2
Schindlergrat (3) : ARL 3
Gamsroute (4) :ARL 3
Höll (5): ARL 3
Rogallspitze (6) : ARL 3
Hexenboden (7) : ARL 3
Nördlicher Trittkopf (Cool :ARL 3
Maroikopf (9) : ARL 2

Quote:

how many of these incidents do you think that the average mountain guide would have recognized the risk and not chosen that route, and in how many would it have been very difficult to recognize the danger at the time?

To Guide people is very complex. There are many facts which have influence to your decisions. Anyway a guide could avoid following accidents:

Törli: This line was a absolute nono. Even the mean Törli is very critical to ski in every ARL

Schindlergrat: There is no reason to ski over the rocks back to the piste. Clients would go home before the even started Smile

Gamsroute: The right line is about 150 meters higher not one guide would do this short cut

Höll: The Höll is the most extreme run in the whole Arlberg every little scenario is a disaster. No safe meeting places, lots of rocks, convex terrain, not frequented skied. With ARL 3 a no go

Hexenboden ( close to the piste) if somebody would skied with this person it would be probably all good

Maroikopf - this was just the wrong line.

To avoid avalanche accidents is one part of the job. The other thing is to handle worst case scenarios. I haven't had any avalanche accidents my self and with clients but

The accident number 8 on Hexenboden Trittkopf is a situation like this:
A group was traversing out of the valley and suddenly somebody triggers above them a slab. The person was 1, 6 meters buried.
A guide was with them and so the person was very quick rescued and could ski back to Zuers.

But to be honest we can never guaranty zero risk.

I hope I could help you
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
franztrimmel, thanks it is very helpful

I depend on people like you to take me away from crushing stresses of work and life at home to a place of exhiiiration and joy that makes it all worthwhile, but yet to send me home safely to wife and kids. I hope to read many more of your posts on this forum and be guided by you sometime soon
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+1 thanks for the info franztrimmel - a good reminder of the value of mountain guides who know the area well.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
+1
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Vielen danke franz.
latest report
I spent a bit of time going over all of these accident reports. You really do need to know the local conditions and the terrain when picking lines Sad The Hexenboden one is the type of thing that we have all probably done at some point, perhaps many times. Small terrain traps are something I concentrate a lot more on these days.
snow conditions
Avalanche Poodle wrote:
I spent a bit of time going over all of these accident reports. You really do need to know the local conditions and the terrain when picking lines Sad The Hexenboden one is the type of thing that we have all probably done at some point, perhaps many times. Small terrain traps are something I concentrate a lot more on these days.

I think the key with that one, tho, is the poor visibility. If you can't see 10m away, then it's not the right time to be going the other side of the piste-markers.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy