Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morzine info please

Poster: A snowHead
I'm back , after having a few years off expanding the notsosure family Very Happy

We have been offered to join another couple in Morzine the 20th Jan and we are seriously considering it but first a few questions.

My where-to-ski and snowboard guide ( 2000 edition ) goes on that there may be no snow as it is low Shocked . I know one can't predict but on average will it be be ok end of Jan? I suppose there is always the Avoriaz link.

The accommodation is close to the tourist-information in Morzine, is that a good spot?

The little notsosure will be 3 and a half, will she benefit from going to the Piou Piou club or will she be better off staying with the grandparents?
The grandparents will probably be going too, they are non-skiers, is it possible to buy a pedestrian lift pass to join us on the mountain?

Mrs notsosure has not skied for a few years. Thinking of arranging a few lessons with BASS but are there enough easy , stress free pistes for her to get her snow legs back??

Any other info/tips would be much appreciated.

Thank you for reading

Nick
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
notsosure, Morzine village is fairly low by mainstream French standards but you really ought to be OK at that time. The lower slopes are now (2013) well cannoned up (less so in 2000). Near the TO is a v. good spot. Easy walk to both Super Morzine and Pleney lifts and to shuttles to Ardent.

I have no idea about children.
You can get pedestrian tickets, although bear in mind that these typically will only get you to the top of the access lifts, e.g. into Avoriaz. I don't think they're keen on pedestrians using chairs.
Yes, plenty of gentle and easy skiing.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
we normally stay in morzine but only ride the avoriaz area anyway, there will be snow in january!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
notsosure, we going the same week !
We may bump into each other and have a Vin Chaud. We also 1st timers in Morzine so I will be following this with interest.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So for Mrs Notsosure and indeed the 3.5 year old - Morzine is perfect. Once you take the shiny new bubble up Pleney, there is a veritable feast of easy peasy greens and blues for Mrs Notsosure. For the nipper, i'd say 3.5 is a perfect age to get her into Piou Piou - we put our youngest in at the same age and she had a ball, its a good setup in Morzine right at the base of the lift. There won't be any issue with snow unless there are issues everywhere, Morzine is snow cannoned to beat the band and generally has a pretty solid snow record.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
notsosure wrote:
I'm back , after having a few years off expanding the notsosure family Very Happy

We have been offered to join another couple in Morzine the 20th Jan and we are seriously considering it but first a few questions.

My where-to-ski and snowboard guide ( 2000 edition ) goes on that there may be no snow as it is low Shocked . I know one can't predict but on average will it be be ok end of Jan? I suppose there is always the Avoriaz link.

The accommodation is close to the tourist-information in Morzine, is that a good spot?

The little notsosure will be 3 and a half, will she benefit from going to the Piou Piou club or will she be better off staying with the grandparents?
The grandparents will probably be going too, they are non-skiers, is it possible to buy a pedestrian lift pass to join us on the mountain?

Nick

Snow cover difficult to predict, but early season start is as good as it gets, though January is still far away. If you have central accomodation close to the tourist office - that is almost perfect, unless your accomodation is on top of the busy bars. Morzine side (Pleney lift) is just being finished, and it is good for pedestrians. For the 3.5 year old - depends on a child realy - the nursery is at the bottom of the Pleney lift, while children lessons for small children is on top of the pPleney. BASS is a very good school, my son (7at a time) had excelent time with BASS and improved a lot. And Morzine for non-skiers is a very nice spot indeed.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you all for taking the time to respond, sounds good ! Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Morzine is wonderful yes it's low but by that time of year and with the new cannons low down yes you will have snow. The little notsosure will have a ball at the Piou Piou club and will make lots of new friends to gain confidence with. I would say just go and have a fabulous time!!! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
notsosure, sorry to high-jack your thread but a quick question re Morzine liftpasses: where to buy- online or in the resort, if you buy online do they post them to your uk address ?
Welcome to SnowHeads Mrs Ducky,
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
notsosure, We were in Les Gets/Morzine February, loads of snow and ,as has been mentioned, plenty of cannons to do the job. I really wouldn t worry too much about snow, we're back in Les Gets in Jan and certainly aren t at all worried. Being in Morzine it is easier to get up high in Avoriaz too. Great skiing for all. My kids loved it, both really enjoyed Piou Piou when they were younger. Enjoy it!

Louis, We got ours online last year and they sent them to our accommodation reception for us to collect on arrival, but i do believe they can send to your home address, but as easy to collect from reception in hotel. This year i have just charged up the card from last year, which i believe would work with any PDS lift pass if you have one from a previous visit? Also there was an offer on LG/Morzine pass, not sure if that is still going (10% off I think)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's a good area. The tourist info place is in the middle of town so an easy walk to one lift and not too hard to the other.

If the snow is ok which it should be in January, then the les Gets side is imo better as it takes less time to get onto the main slopes and isn't as crowded.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
As under a new name suggested… Yeah its low in that the village sits at just over 1000m but that is not where you ride/ski… The PDS should be well stocked by then… Smile Enjoy buddy
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Snow: The slopes will be fine but there may not be any snow in the village it's self - but then that's the trade-off for a resort that's a real village, not some ugly ski-in/ski-out slab of concrete.

Location: Unless you're very unlucky and end up on top a late night bar (of which there aren't very many so the odds are on your side) that's about perfect. Right in the centre of the village so most things are a short, mostly level walk without needing to cross and potentially scary bridges (thinking of older/younger notsosures here). One thing not mentioned so far is the open air ice rink (for the little one).

Pedestrian Lift Passes: Someone answered this more clearly than I could the other day - http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2385105

Ski Lift Passes: You can; buy online and pick up when you get there, just buy when you get there or often get them through your accomodation. If the accomodation offer it the passes should be at reception when you check in/breakfast. You have to queue up at the office to collect/buy but if you buy before 8th December you get 10% off, saving 53Euro for two of you buying 6-day passes. - http://www.skipass-morzine.com/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thank you all for very helpful info, we have decided to take the plunge and go for it.. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Update - Lift Passes: If you order online you can either pick-up in resort or pay 1.90Euro to have them posted to you (just done mine).
snow conditions
Im off to morzine next week and was wondering if anyone has any good tips for places to head (we're all quite good skiers so good challenging runs and off-piste preferred!)

Also, if anyone has any good bar/restarant suggestions please let me know.

Thanks
Dan
snow report
snowdan86, If you've never been before then a box tick is The Swiss Wall (Chavanette). Steep and mogully, great fun and a challenge (well it was to me). Grab a few Mutzigs in Robinsons bar. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
If the conditions are good then doing a circuit of the PDS is worth it. Super Morzine-Avoriaz-Lindarets-Plaine Dranse-Linga-Chatel-Morgins-Champoussin-Les Crosets-Avoriaz should keep you occupied.

Plenty of decent options nearby to Morzine too, although off piste is a lot more difficult to predict. Runs down from the top of Chamossiere are a particular favourite of mine (both black and red), as is the skiing on Mont Chery on the far side of Les Gets. Been down the Chavanette a few times too, and its been everything from fun to a strained ACL. You could warm up for it by going to Switzerland via the Mossettes and down to Les Crosets.

Robinsons is an institution for apres, as is the Dixie just further down Rue du Bourg. Neither is a quiet drink option. La Ruade at the foot of the Pleney is a handy place for apres, if you want to rub shoulders with some locals.

As far as restaurants in Morzine go can personally recommend La Chaudanne (downstairs and ground level), La Flamme, L'Etale, La Rotonde, La Chamade and Le Tyrolien and am looking forward to trying Le Clin D'Oeil and Les Vents d'Anges later this month. Depends on how much you want to spend, where you are staying in resort etc.

Very good options on piste too - don't miss a lunch in Lindarets if the sun is out. La Cremaillere would be my choice - plenty to choose from.
snow report
ardbroilach wrote:
If the conditions are good then doing a circuit of the PDS is worth it. Super Morzine-Avoriaz-Lindarets-Plaine Dranse-Linga-Chatel-Morgins-Champoussin-Les Crosets-Avoriaz should keep you occupied.

How long might this take? Assuming I get the first bubble up in the morning from Morzine, and that I won't be stopping for food/drink on the way, and that I take a leisurely speed on the runs (rather than tucking up and communicating with ET!).

I'll be there later this season, and I need to gauge timings (bearing in mind that I'll be leaving the family to ski alone while I do the circuit).
ski holidays
Did it last year in time to have an afternoon vin chaud near my starting point, and that was with a stop for lunch on the way.
Know people who've been back in time for a late lunch too.
The trip from Linga to Chatel can slow you down, as can crossing Morgins but not in any major way.
All depends on snow conditions and the size of the lift queues. Provided the former is good and the latter not too long, you shouldn't have any trouble.

Not sure I'd want to do it skiing alone but if the rest of the family aren't keen then you're kind of stuck with it.
snow report
I might be able to persuade my mate to leave his family and come too… but if not.. then it’ll just be me… however my OCD will ensure that I complete it so that I can “tick the box”. Hell… I’ve done a whole week’s skiing alone and had a lovely time ensuring that I ticked off every run in Alpe d’Heuz… even the far flung runs in the edges of the resort.
snow report
I won't mention it can be done in both directions then.... Razz
snow conditions
jamescollings, The more hard core version is:

Morzine-Les Gets-Chery Nord-Les Gets-Morzine-Avoriaz-Les Croset-Champery-Champoussin-Morgins-Torgon-Super Chatel-Linga-Avoriaz-Morzine

That is rather more of a challenge. The ordinary circuit is a fast half day, a very slow full day (or a medium fast day with a decent lunch).
snow report
ardbroilach wrote:
I won't mention it can be done in both directions then.... Razz

hhahaa

Thats what I was going to say wink

Of course UANN had to up the bar somewhat!
latest report
The reds from the tops of the mountains on the Morzine side - nyon, cammoisoire etc are epic if there's snow. Really long. Mont Chery is worth a trip but snow can get really patchy and the terrain is steep. On the Avoriaz side the runs down to Lindarets are good.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy