Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

heated gloves?

Poster: A snowHead
No matter what I try to do to keep my hands warm just dosent seem to work.

Ive tried a few different gloves, mittens, extra inergloves, disposable heat packs and yet still get cold hands!
So this season I thought I would treat myself to heated gloves.

ive seen a few out there but im unsure on what to go for... can any one recomend any that would be worth a go for a reasonable price ?

Thanks Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
domvasski, Try looking at sites dealing with paragliding and hang gliding. They are very popular with flyers who fly in the Alps in winter -excellent flying conditions, but very cold at 4000+m I can assure you from personal experience. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
take a look at a few of the motorcycle shops, they'll stock Gerbing, Oxford or Keis heated gloves. You'll be looking at about £100 a pair, which is pricey but not far off the price of a good pair of Hestras or similar
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tried wearing more layers around your core?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tried wrist gaiters? Keeping your wrists covered up can be surprisingly effective at keeping your hands warm, and your current glove gauntlet/jacket cuff arrangement might not be enough. They're reasonably cheap and easy to acquire, so might be worth a flutter.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Can't reiterate the last 2 comments enough, keep the core super toasty, will help massively with cold feet and hands. Blood also cools quickest at you wrists as it flows so close to your body surface, I bought some Marmot wrist warmers, cheap and effective.

I had the whole core thing reaffirmed the other day on my bike. Sunny day so didn't layer up sensibly, got caught out by a cold coastal wind. Suddenly fingers and toes were going numb. Stopped and bought a newspaper to stuff down my front to help block the wind. Within minutes toes and fingers warmed up nicely. Proof in the pudding there!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
domvasski, my wife started to suffer badly with Reynaud's about 4 years ago. We looked at many options, at many budgets but all the ski-targetted solutions for heated gloves only had heating elements in the palms, which are no good for keeping her finger tips warm.

Something led us to look at motorcycling kit and we acquired the Klan system of inner gloves which she now uses under mittens. The stuff is a little "industrial" but works well. http://www.klan-heated-clothing.com/klan-heated-gloves-c-72.html We did have to buy replacement liners last winter when one of the elements failed and ordered on line from a UK based company who do parapente kit.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name, yes heating the palms not very effective, most of the heat loss is via the wrists or the back of the hands where the blood flows closest to the skin. Gloves with the pockets of the back of them, for hand warmers, definitely help a bit.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
swishtony, and the problem with Reynauds is that it's (as I understand it) not the heat loss per se as it can come on even when she's not actually particularly cold. Anyway, the Klan kit works just fine!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name, I've been looking for something like this for my other half. Are the Klan ones rechargeable? I spotted these earlier and thought I'd try them, but your's are cheaper:

http://www.blazewear.com/heated-gloves-1/x1-liners.html
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tom Doc, they are rechargeable - those ones you've found look good though - less cable management!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name, l've ordered the Blazewear ones. I'll post a wee review of them once they've been skiing.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As mentioned above, I ordered the Blazewear gloves yesterday, and they arrived today. So very prompt service! I'll report back once they have been tried up a mountain.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tom Doc, I'll be interested as they do look to be a more sophisticated heating system than the Klan ones. When we originally invested 4 years ago I couldn't find any acceptable alternatives.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
Tom Doc, I'll be interested as they do look to be a more sophisticated heating system than the Klan ones. When we originally invested 4 years ago I couldn't find any acceptable alternatives.

Likewise,Tom Doc, do they appear to be reasonably well put together?

Maccaa
snow report
maccaa, Yeah, 1st impressions are good. They fit under Mrs Doc's existing mittens, and on the low heat setting 1 charge lasted almosr 7 hrs. 1 thing for anyone who buys a pair- the instructions on their webpage say to push the button to turn on, then push again to select hest setting. You actually have to push and hold the button to turn on.
snow report
Tom Doc, Thank you, could very well be on the shopping list !

Maccaa
snow conditions
So, 2 trips later and the Blazewear gloves are a huge success. Admittedly the mountains have been warmer than normal, but the gloves haven't needed to be any higher than the lowest heat setting. Mrs Doc also made the mistake of not putting the batteries in one morning because she thought it was warm enough to do without them. Big mistake. Luckily we were able to dig them out of her bag and put them in mid-descent, and they provided almost instant relief.

We've tested them on the middle heat setting and the batteries only lasted a morning, so we invested in a spare pair.

Can't recommend these enough. If you suffer from cold hands because of poor circulation and not because your core is cold, then these will make a huge difference, especially on those long, cold chairlifts!

I've a feeling we could be getting one of their heated gilets next, for those really cold days.
latest report
Tom Doc, good to know, especially battery life on mid setting. Mrs Uann's battery is a honking big thing but lasts all day on max.
snow report
ive got the blazewear ones as well which are good while the batteries last, but even on the lowest heat setting the batteries only lasted a max of 3 hours....and that was in a warm hotel room with freshly recharged batteries..... Not sure I would buy again...
ski holidays
Hi Tom doc - am thinking of buying a pair of blaze wear liners for my ever cold hands. Is your wife still happy with them ?
And should i buy an extra set of batteries at same time as i order them ?

I currently wear primaloft mittens, silver inner gloves and the use the heated tea bags but still my hands get cold - and often numb thumb and finger tips.

The other option is to go for some heated ski mits - but they cost £250 !!

Thanks for your help
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy