Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, so I moved to Germany a couple of months ago (year abroad with uni) and have found myself a couple of hours away from the Alps and the Black Forest and have always wanted to ski but have never had the chance ...until now! I've signed up for four weekends of skiing lessons in January (and hopefully will go a few times after this) but I have no idea what I need. I've done quite a bit of outdoorsy stuff so I have some general stuff like thermals and gloves but I don't have anything else. I'm going home Christmas and figured I could pick up a pretty cheap jacket from tkmaxx or trespass? Is this a good idea or should I splash out a bit more and get one here? (I live in Konstanz) When we go to the mountains apparently we already need to have skis with us which brings me to my next question - should I rent or should I buy? I assumed I'd just rent some stuff up there but as it looks I'm going to have to rent things from the friday to the sunday in Konstanz because of opening hours or rent stuff for two months or buy stuff. Any ideas on what renting beginner stuff might cost? My next option is to buy stuff - there's a ski sale at my uni in a couple of weeks where apparently you can get skis etc very cheaply - is this worth it? If so what am I looking for? (I'm a girl, about 5 foot 3 and just generally fairly small), what other stuff is essential for skiing? I know I need a helmet too but anything else?

Thank you! Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I also used to live in Southern Germany, I really miss the easy skiing opportunities so I'm very jealous! My experience was that clothing etc was pretty expensive there and it was cheaper to pick up in the UK. You don't need to spend loads on a fancy stuff.

With regard to skis, you can rent for the season out there. I bought, but some friends of mine rented from Intersport in the Blautalcenter in Ulm. IIRC entry level skis, boots and poles cost €140 for the season. This is a really good deal! Don't expect it to be top of the range but they found it just fine for learning on. Other Intersports probably do the same - you could ask your local one - or just take a trip up to Ulm one Saturday.

For the ski sale at uni - you can pick up good bargains at these places, but you really need to know what you are looking for (and at, when you see it). Do you have a friend who knows and could go with you?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

I'm going home Christmas and figured I could pick up a pretty cheap jacket from tkmaxx or trespass?

yes, good idea. You need some ski trousers too - TK Maxx should have a fair choice, trespass is fine. Or if you can get to a Decathlon, their own stuff is reliable and good value.

The suggestion from Gämsbock, for season rent sounds a very good one. Then you can pop to the slopes, without any more faffing, whenever you fancy.

Have fun. Welcome to snowheads, and skiing. snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks - season rent seems like the best idea:)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you've already got thermals, that's great. Skiing is no different to any other sport, in that layering is best.

I know you say you have gloves, but are they ski gloves? Depending on the weather, a good pair of ski gloves can make all the difference to your overall mood. Also, I personally found a couple of good pairs of ski socks, with the thickened, padded areas in the right places for ski boots, a really worthwhile investment.

The other thing you could do with getting is a pair of ski goggles. Without them, you'll really struggle in poor visibility. (You'll still struggle most likely, but it's much worse without them). If you're thinking of getting a helmet (which I'd personally recommend), you need to make sure that the goggles fit with the helmet.

I got quite a bit of my first ski gear from Tchibo, before they pulled out of the UK. It was good gear, at a very reasonable price. I've just had a look on the Tchibo website, and it looks like not only are they still active in Germany, but they've got their ski gear in at the moment: http://www.tchibo.de/?cs=1&vt=ecf4c16d163bc820fde78ffc675699b9e7da99fd.

Have fun,
SM.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Tacky Maxx will kit you out, and if you don't like the Trespass/D2B etc with a bit of luck you'll find something from a big brand for not much more money. The other place to look is Aldi or Lidl (Aldi is usually a bit better kit.) as both will have their ski sales in the next few weeks if past years are anything to go by.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
firsttimeskier, Take a look in your nearest Aldi and Lidl in Konstanz as both Aldi-Süd and Lidl are selling ski gear right now.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
firsttimeskier wrote:
When we go to the mountains apparently we already need to have skis with us which brings me to my next question - should I rent or should I buy? I assumed I'd just rent some stuff up there but as it looks I'm going to have to rent things from the friday to the sunday in Konstanz because of opening hours or rent stuff for two months or buy stuff. Any ideas on what renting beginner stuff might cost? My next option is to buy stuff - there's a ski sale at my uni in a couple of weeks where apparently you can get skis etc very cheaply - is this worth it? If so what am I looking for? (I'm a girl, about 5 foot 3 and just generally fairly small), what other stuff is essential for skiing? I know I need a helmet too but anything else?

Thank you! Smile

I'm pretty sure where ever you go will have ski rental, although it might seem easier to rent in Konstanz what would happen if you had problems with either the skis or boots? There is no reason why you can't sort your own skis and boots out once you get to the resort, if you are going to the same place maybe even ask them about a discount for the season? I hated renting boots, my feet were always sore and I used to go back to the hire shop a few times before I eventually got something that didn't have me in agony. You may have easy fit but if not what's comfy in the shop may not be comfy out on the hill.

Where will you be skiing?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for Tchibo!

lynseyf, it doesn't always work like that with rental in these local town organised courses as they usually go to very small locals resorts for skiing. I used to do them with work, and we would leave town by coach at 6:30am, arrive at a small resort a couple of hours later, park in a sort of back door to the ski domain with coach parking, a drag lift and no other facilities, and go off skiing. Lucky if you got a hot chocolate kiosk, certainly no rental outlet - and no time to sort out rental either, as your group would be going straight off skiing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy