Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'The Good Skiing Guide' becomes 'The Great Skiing Guide'

Poster: A snowHead
Following on from the news that the Consumers Association were not publishing a 2006 edition of The Good Skiing and Snowboarding Guide ... comes news that Cadogan Books have re-published it in "completely rewritten" form, as 'The Great Skiing and Snowboarding Guide'.
The book continues under the editorship of Peter and Felice Hardy.

Before

After

The Ski Club of Great Britain has put the content online:
http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/news/item.asp?intCategoryID=1&intItemID=3265
The book costs £15.99

Other resort guides include 'Where to Ski and Snowboard' and Time Out's 'Skiing & Snowboarding in Europe'

If anyone's seen or bought the new Cadogan Books production it would be interesting to have comments.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Now isn't that a good way to go. SCUK puts all the resort reviews on line and feeds back any new reader reports to the editors. And you don't have to be a member to view the info or to contribute. For once, intelligent use of the SCUK web site.
My only caveat is that some of the reviews are quite old (I have one there from 2003 which is now outdated as far as lift info is concerned) but most readers will give precendence to the most recent stuff if there is any doubt about accuracy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

SCUK puts all the resort reviews on line
by 'SCUK' do u mean 'SKGB'?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes - whatever they are calling themselves now. The Home part of the website still says Ski Club of Great Britain but the url and parts of the site headers include skiclub.co.uk. Shum confushion.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Strewth, aren't there enough guides out there already. Who's buying all these books and how accurate can they possibly be when you consider the sheer number of rersorts the editors are meant to have visited? In my experience the majority of British sliders are creatures of habit anyway and know where they are going and what the lie of the land is.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JohnHill, You're not the John Hill who publishes the Good Ski Guide then, I presume?!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well done to Peter and Felice, just scanned some of the "categories" on the on-line version and I'd agree with most of it. You can always find things that you'd tweak - I would have included Killington for moguls (the Outer Limits is one of the toughest bumps runs I've ever done) and I'm not sure I'd include Vail for on-mountain restaurants (there's only one small table-service restaurant, the Blue Moon Grill). I'm also surprised they don't mention the Peak 8 summit chair at Breckenridge but perhaps the decision missed their deadline.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Martin Bell, No, but now I obviously have a "famous" industry namesake I'll use it to get free lift passes, meals, upgrades etc. I'm confused by the whole Good Ski Guide / Great Skiing Guide thing. Think I'll bring out The Incredible Ski Guide.

So, you're not the ex news reporter / politician in a white suit then.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The publisher John Hill I know and love used to make very large claims about the scale and power of his organ, to the extent that I always thought his name was too modest - he was always 'John Mountain' to me.

[Statement of interest: John Hill's ski magazine was a direct competitor of the one we were working on (Ski Survey, Rest in Piste).]

Does John Hill = JohnHill? Would the John Hill we know express the opinions we see above? The important thing is to say nice things about him, whether he wishes to distance himself from his surname or bond with it.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JohnHill wrote:
So, you're not the ex news reporter / politician in a white suit then.

No, but I once got sent one of his BBC pay cheques by mistake!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

No, but I once got sent one of his BBC pay cheques by mistake!

Out of interest, how much was it and would I get as much impersonating the real John Hill (even though I am a real John Hill)?

As you know a bit more than me about skiing, how about we publish The Awesome Ski Guide together? Surely, this'll naturally beat The Great and The Good versions.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Because you're not a John Hill impersonator and are a real John Hill, perhaps you could answer the following question:

Are John Hill's pay cheques as big as his circulation claims?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
JohnHill wrote:

Out of interest, how much was it and would I get as much impersonating the real John Hill (even though I am a real John Hill)?

Not that much - regular BBC pay for a radio interview. So I sent it back. Had there been more zeroes, my moral dilemma might have been tougher...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
A mate of mine worked in sales for the Good Ski Guide and said that the magazine is about to go bankrupt. He left because he was asked to make up some stuff to PR people in order to get sales, that's how bad it was. Has anyone else hear about this?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
..... i thought that was common place in that industry Very Happy
ski holidays
Jonathan Scott, welcome to snowHeads. Odd to pick a 3 year old thread to join in though Puzzled
snow report
Thanks! I didn't notice it was that old rolling eyes I found it on google...
snow report
Jonathan Scott, i went to school with a jonathan scott in Essex.... is that you by any chance ??.... or maybe i should sign up to friends reunited !!
snow report
Libertine,

No but close. My parents are from Surrey but I grew up in Florida, now back in London. You should try facebook, but I guess there'll be millions of Jonathan Scotts there Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
.... I stopped facebooking a looong time ago, too many weirdo's on there and wasted too much of my time looking at what my zillion "friends" were up to....... yawn.
snow report
zillions of friends?! Confused

I'm lucky if I have reached 100 in the 6 years I've been in there! For the record, I don't like it either, hardly ever check it, but good way to keep in touch with people
snow conditions
Oh bum. There go the chances of my latest project succeeding...

latest report
Are you confusing Good Ski Guide Magazine (edited by John Hill) with The Great Skiing and Snowboarding Guide (a book, formerly called The Good Skiing Guide, edited by Peter Hardy)?
The magazine is still around but one of the ltd companies was wound up by a supplier in August - this company was called Good Holiday Ideas Ltd, formerly Good Ski Guide Ltd - it had a name change but was still the same ltd company. The magazine is held now by sister company Mountain Leisure Ltd but, could well be in peril because it was owed over £100k by Good Holiday Ideas Ltd. Confused yet?
All public domain information at Companies House.
ski holidays
Has anyone ever seen a copy of the Good Ski Guide magazine in a shop anywhere?
latest report
Yes I have. At least ten years ago. John Hill was a legend in his own lunchtime, which is probably still at 'coffee and mints' stage.

Can't recall seeing the mag since then. Maybe it's at the printers.
latest report
powpow wrote:
Has anyone ever seen a copy of the Good Ski Guide magazine in a shop anywhere?

Yes, regularly, although I don't recall seeing any this year.

But usually the issues I have seen in the shops haven't arrived there until after the closing date of the competitions in that issue Sad
snow report
It's OK, Swiller, it wasn't shyness.

I wrote it

for my optician

who has a problem

with large point sizes

and prefers things

to be

more pointless

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 17-01-09 16:16; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I understand that the guide has been renamed once again after a change of publisher... something like Hardy's Great Ski Guide, after the editors.

David Goldsmith, don't be shy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Whoops. I mistakenly edited the posting before Swiller's, which is supposed to be this one. Work that one out!
snow conditions
Just glanced at it - the basic factual information on Les Saisies is grossly inaccurate - stuff which you could get from a simple glance at the piste map is just wrong. So frankly, I wouldn't trust the guide very far. I suppose I should send in corrections. Can I be bothered, I wonder?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy