Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Worth hiring a go pro? Are they worth it?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all! Spoken to someone that was recommended in another thread on here about hiring a go pro for my second ski holiday (first for the GF), he quoted £45 for the week and a bit of extra time to get antiquated with it, plus any mounts I want included. Also recorded delivery included in price, and that is for the go pro hero3+ iirc

Does this sound too good to be true? Anyone else have good results from renting?

Also, how long can I record on the SD card generally? Wondering whether I will need to take a laptop (eating into my luggage weight allowance)

Thanks in advance!

Intermidiot
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes you'd want a laptop just to put stuff on at night. How long you can record depends on the size of the SD Card and the quality/framerate you record in.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Also depends on the air temperature and how long the camera is in the cold. Can knock hours off the battery life. Keep it in a jacket pocked when not being used to help sustain the battery life
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hmm ok guys thanks, I have no problem taking the laptop, so I'll do it in that case

However, how long can I expect the battery to last for? Skiing in andorra, hopefully I could get a good few hours of skiing caught on it? :/ Maybe he'll have batteries to lend for a small charge too
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was getting 2-3 hrs out the battery on my Drift. I'm less familiar with the gopro range so I'm not sure if that's the one with replaceable batteries or not.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes you can change the batteries... all small form factor cameras would be useless otherwise! Personally I'd take one spare battery just so I could change it half way through and avoid being annoyed by the inevitable cut out.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Screamface, you quote the price in sterling, so you're hiring in the UK? Seems a bit of a risk if it doesn't work over there - perhaps better to hire in resort?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
meh - haha yeah I know you can change the batteries Neh Neh good thinking on changing before it runs out though

albine - yes hiring in the UK from a guy that was recommended in another thread, could I possibly have it covered on some kind of insurance? I have yet to purchase the winter sports insurance. Any experiences hiring in resort?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Screamface, sorry no experience, just seen adverts in various places. Hopefully someone more useful along soon!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Screamface, I noticed an ad for renting Go-Pro cameras in Tignes last week. Can't remember the exact price but it sounded pretty cheap, given the cost of the things and their vulnerability.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hmm I don't want to risk going out there and the price being steep :/ Think I'll just pay the £45 here, thanks everyone for input
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Screamface wrote:
he quoted £45 for the week and a bit of extra time to get antiquated with it

I feel quite antiquated enough already thank you.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Screamface, I think the Tignes price was €5 a day, but you should be able to find links on a resort website. Ring one of the biggest ski rental shops and ask them - if they don't do it, they'll know who will.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Screamface, if you're worried about battery and memory then read the instructions and set the camera to record as soon as you turn it on and rather than leaving it running you can just record the bits that interest you.
Also it's really easy to turn the camera on even whilst skiing and with gloves on. Cool
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
good point, nice one guys, need to find myself a hire company, need all the skis and a pair of boots too
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy