Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

FR: Sainte Foy 2013/14

Poster: A snowHead
As the cold finally arrives in the UK thoughts turn to New Year in St Foye Smile

Any spies in resort care to share some reports of what hopefully is another good start to the season.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plenty of photos on twitter , new lift is going well, new mountain resturant looks ready to go , and a foot of snow Thursday night and I spotted the snow cannons running the other day . Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel

Brilliant white , Premiere Neige and Ski Villaroger seem to post plenty of updates on twitter .

Although I suspect we may get a first trip up the mountain report on Snowheads from Stevo this weekend?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
all looks good on the webcam, i m out for xmas and can t wait..........
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I can confirm that it's all looking very promising here snow-wise, particularly for this early on. It snowed all the way down past Bourg the other day. People have already skinned to the top and skied all the way back to resort, and still four weeks until the lifts open! Snow cannons have been going on the smaller nursery slope, and the new lift is all but finished (although it's not exactly a looker).
Had a tour around the new 'les Marquises' restaurant and it's going to be fantastic, stunning views in every direction and two huge terraces.
As I write this, the clouds are building ready for another dose of the white stuff, and it looks set to snow for most of the coming week - bring it on!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i can forgive Grand Plan not being a looker if it gets me up there far quicker than the old lift!!!!!!!!!

a new mountain restaurant was soo badly needed.......Brevettes banged out all the time and Chez Leon......a somewhat distant second best up there.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
BrilliantWhite, welcome to SnowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BrilliantWhite, and your website / operation looks very good indeed. Well done for not 'pimping' yourself.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Timberwolf, Thanks! No need to get pimping just yet!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi Guys... I scent-marked in this corner a long time ago, OK? wink

Hoping to get up this weekend, work permitting - an Ikea run is in the offing, then I'm snowboarding at Tignes all next week, so a cheeky skiing session may be a marital brownie points step too far...

Pic from resort last night:

And the view from my living-room window last night (down at 900m!):

snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The more the merrier , especially for those stuck in the good old uk who can't wait to get out to our beloved SF and need a forum fix regularly looks like a sunny weekend and not too much of a warm up on the horizon so lets hope this is the base for the season .
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Beautiful day today, whole valley looking awesome!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Made it out for a wee skin up today (Iona came along, so didn't have to cash in too many brownie points!). Went up the Arpette, Combes & Combe des Veaux to where it meets the Marquise run.

Really good base already considering we've still got another week of November to go. Got to back a long way (Nov 08?) to find conditions this good so early. Deep and fluffy up top. Lower down was the usual pre-season mess caused by snow-cannons, piste-bashers, etc. but there is good cover all the way back to resort. Sweet!

Top of the new 1st lift:

Just above the bottom of the 3rd lift:

Looking across the valley:

Coming back down:

latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looking good
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Did we get a top up overnight?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It looks a little healthier this morning Very Happy

I'm arriving on Sunday for a week so with luck we will have another top up on Saturday night.

It looks like only 60% is open ? but hopefully the remaining pistes and some off piste will be accessible by the time we arrive.

What's the general consensus locally about the avi risk due to the weak bonding in the snowpack.
ski holidays
hedley wrote:
It looks a little healthier this morning Very Happy

I'm arriving on Sunday for a week so with luck we will have another top up on Saturday night.

It looks like only 60% is open ? but hopefully the remaining pistes and some off piste will be accessible by the time we arrive.

What's the general consensus locally about the avi risk due to the weak bonding in the snowpack.

I am out there on the 24th Jan on one of Steve's backcounty weeks and I'm getting a bit worried about all this talk of "Most dangerous avalanche conditions for a decade " "Depth Hoar" "Facetting" etc

Is it really that dodgy at the moment? what needs to happen to stabalise it? if anything, or is it going to be a worry till the spring thaw?

Hopefully the wife won't read any of this or I wont be let out of the country !!

Phil
snow report
Phil - don't stress it. Yes, there is some danger out there, but the guides know what they're doing. A lot will change between now and then anyway.

It was pretty awesome today... Very Happy
snow conditions
I'd disagree with the "worst for a decade" stuff anyway. The depth hoar was at least as bad 3 years ago.

To get rid of depth hoar, we either need a massive dump of snow, resulting in big avalanches everywhere and clearing everything out or we need heavy rain to 3000m. I know which one I'm hoping for...

Nevertheless, it's important get things in perspective. Yes, conditions are quite dangerous this season. But they're quite dangerous every season. Yes, you need to be aware of the risk this season, but you need to be aware of the risk every season. It is not 10x more dangerous this year. It's probably not even 2x more dangerous.
snow conditions
Steve, Cheers for the reassurance, but I'm still not telling the wife Shocked
snow report
Absolutely puking in resort this evening, started about 6pm.
latest report
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin arrive tomorrow. Can't wait.
ski holidays
hedley, be very, very glad you're not arriving tonight! Shocked
snow report
stevomcd, Lots of people are not going to be arriving tonight! Traffic is stationary in Bourg St Maurice: road to Les Arcs is closed (took us 4 hours to get down) and the road towards Tignes/VdI is also totally stationary.

We're staying in a little hotel in Bourg and they've been turning away people all evening - a lot of people will be spending the night in their cars.
snow conditions
RobW, my other half is on the way up the road right now. In our Landrover at least!
ski holidays
Glad to hear it got moving again. Just had a walk down to the roundabout in Bourg and all the traffic has disappeared this morning. Hopefully we'll have a clear run up in an hour or so.
snow report
Great day today , cold and 20 cms of new snow over the mountain , runs above 2000m's good and covered , lower runs with man made all good , the bit Inbetween has been a little dodgy but is improving with snow . The off piste up high is starting to fill in nicely but still not enough snow cover low down to venture off .

The new lift from the base is superb , we have an excellent brand new mountain resturant by the marquis lift , clean and warm . The pitch bar has changed hands and is now called Après it is now clean and the staff smile therefore a massive improvement .

Only downside it's now getting too busy .
latest report
Rob Mackley wrote:
The pitch bar has changed hands and is now called Après it is now clean and the staff smile therefore a massive improvement .

Blimey - that is an improvement!!
ski holidays
Rob Mackley wrote:
The pitch bar has changed hands and is now called Après it is now clean and the staff smile therefore a massive improvement .

thats good as the tables were filthy when we last went in there a couple of years ago.
might try it again in a few weeks.
Smile Smile Smile Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rob Mackley wrote:

Only downside it's now getting too busy .

Do you think that is the case for the whole resort ?
I have been going same week in march for the last 6 years (and a couple of times in Jan) and i to be honest i haven't really seen much of a differance in numbers.
Maybe I have just been lucky as the weeks i go are low season.
Last year there was plenty of fresh snow and blue sky and there was still lots of occasions when we were the only people on the run Little Angel
snow report
Low season will still be quiet but the holiday weeks are getting busier , New Year I now find the busiest even more so than half term , however you can't have gleaming new lifts without attracting more people to pay for them , sadly school holidays dictate when I come .
snow report
Quote:

Rob Mackley wrote:

Wow has Pascal finally sold the place?
snow report
Yep ,The people who own L'Couer and another couple have taken it over , personally a change for the better , some may think not but as I said now cleaner and friendly .
snow report
The pistes above 1800m are nice and squeaky / grippy just how you would like them. Lower sections into the resort are a little hard packed but I wouldn't go so far as to call them icy.

Off piste is pretty tracked out and there are still a few too many gaps and rocks /tree stumps showing to make it totally safe.

Very busy in resort with 10 minutes queues for lifts one and two (but hey it is New Year)

Very cold when not in the sun,but for between 11 and 2 when the sun was at its highest it was nice and pleasant.

It looks like some more snow is forecast for Wed/Thursday but the freezing levels look a little too high for comfort
Sad We shall see.

All in all a nice first day
Very Happy
snow report
Conditions on piste holding up very well here today. nice and quiet until around 1.30 pm and it felt a lot warmer with mostly blue sky all day Very Happy I had a little dabble traversing very very far left along the ridge off the marquise lift today in an effort to find some lines but it was pretty much tracked out.

The clouds are gathering and more snow is forecast on and of for the next few days so hopefully we will get a day with some freshies.

I noticed a few skiers off the backside to Monal yesterday, but the locals who know the area say it's not quite in condition yet,so better to be safe.

With fresh snow,next week will be set up nicely again,so for those who are worried about the perceived lack of snow. Worry not.
ski holidays
hedley, where you were is a LOT more dangerous than the Monal...
ski holidays
It's snowing Very Happy
snow report
It started snowing around dawn and stopped at lunchtime. I'd say 10-15cm has fallen. The pistes have been suitably refreshed and once the piste bashers have done their thing this evening they will be pretty much perfect.

Temps are mild so it is not super light powder but enough to fill in all the tracked out stuff.

This afternoon cleared and the visibility was good so we had a dabble skiers right and left of the top lift and lower down through the trees.

It was remarkably quiet so lots of nice lines to be found Very Happy

I'm new to the resort but for its size there is plenty of options without straying too far from the pistes. Careful choices had to be made as there are plenty of drop offs and rocky outcrops which could catch you out as you pick your way down through the tree line.

I think I'll be back though Very Happy
ski holidays
Any updates guys? Arrive Saturday, can't wait!
snow report
Acrawley wrote:
Any updates guys? Arrive Saturday, can't wait!

According to the resort Facebook page the current conditions and lack of snow have lead to the postponement of this coming weekends Freeride competition!!

With a dry and unseasonably warm week ahead
http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Sainte-Foy/6day/mid

So it doesn't look great,

I'm out the week after so fingers crossed the weathermen have got it very wrong

Phil

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 6-01-14 21:40; edited 1 time in total
snow report
It was looking good last week!

https://snowheads.com/the_zone/showphoto.php/data/500/thumbs/Ste_Foy.gif
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy