Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chairlift or Gondola??

Poster: A snowHead
I know this is a 'how long is a piece of string question?', but all things being equal which type of lift do most Snowheads prefer?

Personally, I'd nearly always take a chairlift given the choice. Seems more sociable, fresh air, less hassle, better view, less over-heating. I also suspect that the longer queues that gondolas seem to have and putting skis on/off compensate to quite a large degree for the faster speed of a gondola.

I haven't included Poma's (which most people loathe) or cable cars (as they are just big gondolas).

Utterly pointless question, but ....thoughts?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chairlift for me - I like the sit down (which you can't always do in a gondola) and not having to take my skis off.

Covered/bubble chairlifts for those really cold windy or snowy days are even better Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
foxtrotzulu, I have no problem with draglifts. We have no gondolas in our ski area but generally having to take skis off and climb up (and subsequently down) flights of steps is often a pain - my skis are heavy and having to carry them vertical hurts my hands. Might be worth it if the alternative is a long, cold ride outside, though. If it's not too cold, chairlifts are much more pleasant. But ultimately the best lift is the one with no queues. Nothing else matters, in comparison.

My only experience of cable cars is of big queues and squash - horrid.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chairlift for me, with a lid if the weather's horrible. Gondolas are stuffy and cramped. Last season, a lady yabbered non-stop from the long queue, right through to the top of the mountain and almost demented me. Would far rather take the chair lift!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
foxtrotzulu, the chair is the weapon of choice. The difficulty with a gondola is that they typically cover huge distances, and what I actually like when skiing is to put the hammer down a bit and then take a bit of a break on a chairlift. The gondola does not provide the short break to let legs recover and catch your breath, whereas the chair tends to be shorter so that I can do exactly that. Add the faff of removing skis, taking off goggles so they steam up a treat, some kid falling over into you, and having to perch on the edge of an exceptionally slippery and narrow seat, and I am a big chairlift fan.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Chairlift with heated seat, oh yeah baby!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia,
Quote:

Chairlift with heated seat,

They don't actually exist do they?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
foxtrotzulu, Certainly do. They've some in Zermatt, feels a bit like you've pooed yourself tbh wink
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
queen bodecia wrote:
Chairlift with heated seat, oh yeah baby!

... and covers ...... A U S T R I A
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Depends on distance and how windy it is. A chairlift is bliss in spring and hell in the winter night skiing when it's windy.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
I haven't included Poma's (which most people loathe)

Most - but not all wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Depends on the weather, length of ride and time of day. Lunchtime gondola rides are easier than chairs for eating your picnic. On a sunny day chairs are definitely better.

I guess everywhere should have Chondolas.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Definitely chairlift. I like the slow, peaceful pace, watching the scenery go by. I don't enjoy gondolas or cable cars because you have to stand, crammed in like sardines with people who are sweating alcohol or haven't washed their ski gear in years. Never mind some of the questionable dental hygiene resulting in foul breath... that's the worst, I hate smelling foul breath on people, makes my stomach heave.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chairlift. Great to have a rest, fresh air, scenery, better view, and more social.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Princess?, never go to Ischgl - sharing the gondola with 7 Bavarian blokes on a stag do is halitosis hell
snow conditions
Chair whenever possible. Cime Caron (one of the worst) cable car in VT is a smelly, steaming, cramped nightmare used by rude, loud, flatulent people who all have just had a fag.
ski holidays
Maybe there's something lost in translation here.

I'm referring to a gondola as something I travel in (Swiss & Austria) where it seats 6 or 8 people and is a comfortable ride. To others (France?) it appears to be a mini cable car where you squeeze in stood up. I will always go for the lazy sit down option!
ski holidays
Chairlift (or drag) over a gondola unless the weather is really bad.
snow report
The order of love for me:

1. Fast chairlift
2. Gondola
3. Tram/cable car
4. Slow chairlift
5. Drag lift

It's mostly about vertical gained per minute. Detachable chairs are fast because you don't have to faff with your skis or wait long for the next one. Trams/cable cars usually rise at a formidable speed but I always seem to arrive just as the doors are closing. Sometimes slow chairlifts rise very steeply, but not often.
snow report
The Cime Caron cable was a feat of modern engineering but with 150 people rammed in it and your head shoved in someone's armpit, it does feel like you're on the tube in rush hour!

Personally I love a fast chair Smile
latest report
has to be a fast six man chair all to yourself with a nice padded seat
snow report
I'm rather partial to the funicular at Les Deux Alpes. It takes you from the bottom of the glacier at 3200m to near the top at 3400m. The alternative is a slow, long, cold T bar which I hate. It takes longer, you have to ski down to it, take off your skis, wait for the doors to open then the thing to arrive. There's also a walk up steps at the top. I much prefer it to the T bars though.
snow conditions
Fast chairlift or skidoo snowHead

Most 'cabin' lifts seem to have steps up or down a real PIA
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu wrote:
queen bodecia,
Quote:

yup they certainly do.

Favourite chair in some Austrian resorts is a heated 8 person chair Smile

Managed to find a vid somewhere, on Leitner or the other one's youtube channel which shows how they work. It's a fast boost heater that gets power for 15sec or something as the chair arrives in the bottom station, and cuts out just as it comes round the bend to be sat upon, then the warmth slowly permeates through the padded seat. Oh and there's a 30sec cut out for when the lift is stopped for some reason, and a chair is in contact with the heater power.

Gondola or chair for me. Gondolas are nice if the trip is much more than 5mins.
latest report
Has to be a Poma.
Almost as quick as a fast chair, safer, more reliable and filters out the holiday skiers. Laughing
Also less landscape impact, cheaper, more enviromentally friendly, and better skiing on less crowded, less worn or over engineered runs. Failing that .........old school rope tows. All the attributes of Pomas..... except the safety bit. Shocked

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 15-11-13 21:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Fast chair > Gondola > Slow chair

Also depends a bit on if I my legs fit between the footrests and the bar on the chair, a not too busy chair is OK as you can angle your legs to the side, but dangling legs on a slow fully loaded chair is the worst!
latest report
What's wrong with a good old T-Bar? Very sociable .... Until you fall off!
snow conditions
If you've ever skied regularly in the Scottish or North Pennines areas (all of which are draglift central), modern chairlifts and gondolas of any description are the height of luxury and sophistication Smile.

As others have said, both chairs and gondolas do have their merits:

- Chairs on sunny or warm days.
- Gondolas when it's cold or snowy.

Gondolas can also be good for a quick flask of tea or a picnic; or - when empty at the end of the season - to lie along the whole row of seats for a good rest on the way up after a long, hard day.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
queen bodecia,
Quote:

Oh yes they do and they are loooooooooovely. Espically if you have had a long run down the mountain and don't want to get cold on the way back up. They are usually covered so its lovely and warm inside.
ski holidays
Fast chairlift > gondola > slow chairlift = drag lift >> cable car
snow report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
queen bodecia,
Quote:

There are quite a few of them in Austria.

I first came across one in Kaltenbach (Zillertal) in 2007.
snow conditions
^^yup 8er Schnee Express is joined by another new 8er heated and a new 6er heated this year.
snow report
Chairlifts best if weather is OK.

BUT .... How many people? The type of conversation you can have depends crucially on whether there are just two of you, three, four or more. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
I don't care Wink if there's a space going free, I'm invading your privacy if the queue extends more than about 3 chairs' worth Wink Twisted Evil
latest report
foxtrotzulu, all the new chairlifts in Austria have the heated seat mechanism now. Drag lifts are being replaced in most resorts as well. I can count the number of times I rode one last year on the fingers of one hand I believe.

Gondolas are the same for me as Elizabeth B describes, you sit down they carry between 4 and 20 people. The bigger ones have some standing but not much. Anywhere where you are jammed in all standing regardless of carrying size is a cable car in my book and should be avoided like the plague. One I get slightly claustrophobic in confined spaces and two, being short I tend to end up with some tall person's arm pit or their rucksack stuck in my face, not too sure which is worse to be honest.
snow conditions
Best cable car has to be the Vanoise.

Worst is that old rattler up from Klosters
latest report
doesn't sitting on a heated chairlift do the same as sitting on a hot radiator - i.e. give you piles?
snow report
Elizabeth B wrote:
Maybe there's something lost in translation here.

I'm referring to a gondola as something I travel in (Swiss & Austria) where it seats 6 or 8 people and is a comfortable ride. To others (France?) it appears to be a mini cable car where you squeeze in stood up. I will always go for the lazy sit down option!

Whether it is a gondola or a cable car depends on the mechanism.

Whether you are standing or sitting depends on the individual cabin design.

There are (unfortunately) a few gondolas around where you are either fully standing, or just have a "perch" around the sides. Neither give you much rest Sad I think both of the main gondolas from the base at Fieberbrunn are the standing or perching types.
snow report
Peterkct, they are warming not hot, much the same way as heated car seats are. wink
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
queen bodecia,
Quote:

There are quite a few of them in Austria.

I first came across one in Kaltenbach (Zillertal) in 2007.

Yes I met this last christmas - quite a shock, felt like I'd wet myself Skullie
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy