Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Evac from Val D

Poster: A snowHead
Hi

A while back, I booked on an early season coaching hol to Val D'Isere in Dec, which is great.

My missus is expecting our first baby in Jan, and encouraged me to go on the trip (which was booked before we knew, plus there's sod all chance of going in 2014), which is great too.

Now, my question for the knowledgable is:

- what would be the best options for getting back to Manchester if needed at short notice, and reasonably, how long would it take?

I would of thought in sliding scale of expense:
- helicopter to Geneva [i wouldn't be worrying about this, as my private jet would already be on standby Wink
- taxi to Geneva, then try to get a flight on spec
- bus to Geneva, then try to get a flight

Depending on when the call came, I'd estimate 12 hours door to door.

Any tips / advice would be ace.

Taaaa
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
if it was a real posibility i think i'd drive...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maternity wards are not much fun so don't be in too much of a rush Wink

But, and this is important, get that she encouraged this trip in writing, possibly witnessed.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well, from the due date (late Jan) I'd give it low odds, and if there was any sign, I would cancel. It'd be good to have a contingency plan tho..

Hadn't considered driving, as it's a TO jobbie, but will add to the list!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Laughing at getting it witnessed! - will get meself one of those DIY law packs (with possibly the divorce papers if they're bogoff).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
First babys are invariably late and always take ages to pop out. You'll have plenty of time to go to duty free and stock up.
I did a freestyle course about 3 weeks before Sideways_Jnr the first was born, although I'd had to promise the wife not to break a leg or anything that would render me useless.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Driving will give you most flexibility, but will you be in a sound mind to be driving for 14 hours if OH is on way to hospital

Taxi to airport and throw yourself at mercy of staff

Worth saying that cutting trip short is unlikely to be covered by insurance as it would be classed as pre-existing/known event
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was in a similar situation in 2009. I was in Meribel for a week, 5 weeks before the due date. My emergency evac plan was to get to Moutier or Bourg and get on 1st train out in general direction of Paris and then Eurostar. Considering most serious labour pains start in the middle of the night, I knew there was a pretty good chance I would miss the birth of our first baby but as most on here will agree, skiing is pretty important. I was, however, expected to make every effort to get home double sharpish and at almost any cost.

As long as you have a plan and are prepared to stick to it, in the unlikely event, blah blah blah....
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i'd imagine if you get a call at 10pm one night you'd be lucky to get out of resort until the following day...getting back in 12hrs is pretty optimistic imo Confused

take the OH with you, that way its much easier Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I suffered an injury during my first-born, I fell asleep with my feet up on chair and pulled the ligaments behind my knees. How much sympathy did I get? bug all.

P.S. there are no rules with childbirth, it could be way to quick for you to respond or so long you could have done another week.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Why not apply for paternity leave and stay the season? plenty of time to see the baby in years to come. You could always send a telegram wishing your wife well to show a bit of sympathy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Our first came 3-weeks early - just saying

Mind you that's normal for twins Laughing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What about taxi down, Eurostar from Bourges, run up Euston Rd then train up to Manchester. If no Eurostar from Bourges train to Paris, taxi to Gare du Nord then Eurostar.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
That's a brilliant idea, wish I had thought of that. Oh, I did, see earlier post. LOL.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
trickygibbon wrote:

- what would be the best options for getting back to Manchester if needed at short notice, and reasonably, how long would it take?

I would of thought in sliding scale of expense:
- helicopter to Geneva [i wouldn't be worrying about this, as my private jet would already be on standby Wink
- taxi to Geneva, then try to get a flight on spec
- bus to Geneva, then try to get a flight

Depending on when the call came, I'd estimate 12 hours door to door.

Any tips / advice would be ace.

Taaaa

Look at your train to paris/ eurostar and paris/manc options as well.

Basically she will want to know that you are moving not sat on yer Aristotle!
ski holidays
..duplicate

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 15-11-13 18:03; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways wrote:
First babys are invariably late...
thank you Doctor. You sure? Among my family, friends all very early.
latest report
Zermattandchips, Only a partial plan though wink Embarassed
snow conditions
Quote:

Taxi to airport and throw yourself at mercy of staff

this. Before the Christmas week there should be space on planes.
snow conditions
6 weeks before the birth of my son I was in Dundee when I was informed that my wife had gone into labour. A few phone calls and I found there was a flight from Glasgow in 2 hours time. I persuaded a friend to drive me to the airport, bought a ticket at the desk ( These were the days before you needed a passport for internal UK flights. ) and arrived at the hospital just as they were cutting my wife open. It could easily arrive before you set off

So my advice to trickygibbon, is don't worry and think on your feet. It is not worth having a plan. If you are with a tour operator then I am sure you will find someone to drive you to the airport (or even ask in the pub). Get on the internet and see what flights are available (Geneva is probably your best bet but do not rule out Lyon, Grenoble or Chambery. Opodo is your best chance of finding a flight, but for a really quick journey be prepared to change somewhere like Amsterdam). Then just make your best effort. I haven't a clue what the insurance companies would say about and to be honest I wouldn't care. I suspect they would say it was self induced and hence your fault anyway

Oh and congratulations by the way
ski holidays
Skype is your friend! She sounds understanding Happy
snow report
Canoe to Moutier, thumb a lift just past Albertville to where the road comes in from Italy, then thumb a lift in a DENBY wagon back to UK. There are always DENBY wagons on that route so should be no problem.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:
( These were the days before you needed a passport for internal UK flights. )

Puzzled

You mean like...... today?? wink
ski holidays
Excellent advice, all thank you. stewart woodward, Denby, as in pottery?

Does this mean I'll be sharing a lift with some swanky mugs?
snow report
SkiG, If I had driven to Dundee today and needed to fly home I would not have my passport with me (it is not something that I carry with me in the UK) and so will not be allowed on the flight.
ski holidays
johnE wrote:

So my advice to trickygibbon, is don't worry and think on your feet. It is not worth having a plan.

Oh and congratulations by the way

+ 1 x 2

" No plan survives contact with the enemy"

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Helmuth_von_Moltke_the_Elder

Welcome to Parenthood...
snow report
Either hire a car at Geneva instead of doing transfers and you will have the greatest flexibility to hit the road as soon as you need to - even if it is the middle of the night (although obviously not if you've been on the lash... the gendarmes will random test especially around Christmas). Alternatively, put the number for Europetransfer in your phone - they have buses running up and down to Geneva most days and if you smile sweetly at Liz and Kelly in the office they should be able to get you there at fairly short notice - they offered to sort something for me if I needed to get back quickly when my Dad was ill. In theory, you could be on a flight to the UK within 5 hours of leaving resort although I have no idea how many flights to Manchester there are per day and it would be pretty special to get a last minute share mid-week that met your flight times! The public bus (Altibus) takes about 5 hours to get to Geneva on their mid-week timetable. Alternately I know a guy who can drive you to the airport most days midweek for about €200!
snow conditions
Quick check or post on findtransfers.com to see if anybody is going to Geneva and then catch a flight back home.

Have a note of flight schedules from Geneva to Manchester just incase. I find if I have a back up plan organised I have no need to use it.

Can she not travel with you and will the insurance cover her? If an emergency happens I was impressed with the maternity services at the hospital Bourg.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnE wrote:
SkiG, If I had driven to Dundee today and needed to fly home I would not have my passport with me (it is not something that I carry with me in the UK) and so will not be allowed on the flight.

Did you not say internal uk flight? You dont need a passport! I never carry my passport flying within the UK, driving license does the same job!

bit off topic tho!
snow conditions
SkiG, Only photo driving licences are accepted. I do not have one hence the only accepted photo ID is your passport. I was just pointing out that I was away from home with no plan of coming home when my wife went into labour yet it all sorted out OK in the end.
snow conditions
ahh, makes sense now, thats a bit of a pain!
snow report
trickygibbon, sorry- I love skiing, my family all love skiing, my wife loves skiing.

BUT - you just can't do this. Missing the birth would be bad, having an injury would be worse- and with the first child- ow.

I do have an alternative however that might keep you all happy.

Out first child was born in late December- we all went skiing for a week when he was 4 months old in late April- in Argentiere. Various problems (we took my mum to baby sit- she fell over in the car park on the first day and ended up in plaster), my wife was feeding him herself- so we popped down at lunch time- but we had a great time.

A late season week in Val D'Isere or Chamonix would be easy- If your wife isn't a mad kean skier then staying in Chamonix itself (rather than Argentiere) is fun with plenty to do with a baby (I know- I've done it) but very hard to ski and pop back to the little 'un (Val D' or Argentiere are fine).

Sorry to be a bit negative but skiing a few weeks before the birth of your first child is asking for trouble- possibly- there may be exceptions- e.g. if you are a ski professional yourself.. but your not

So late April- all together??
snow conditions
Thought would be good to follow this up. My trip went well early dec with fab coaching courtesy of TDC/Claire. Enough snow to see most of the area and a bit of World Cup.

Prepped / made myself aware of options for a swift exit, but mostly listened to the guys above recommending flexibility above all.

Result: had a fantastic trip, so glad I went (as won't have a similar opportunity for a bit), and typing this with one hand while holding my 4 day old son.

THANKS snowHead
snow report
ahhhhh congrats on both a good trip and the new arrival.. Very Happy
ski holidays
Congratulations - the first few months will be tough but enjoy every moment 'cos it goes fast!
ski holidays
Brilliant, many congratulations. Suggest you get your 2015 ski trip booked asap....
snow report
Smile Congratulations!
snow report
A lovely end to the story - congratulations to you and your wife Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

typing this with one hand while holding my 4 day old son.

snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
yeeeha snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy