Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland off-piste guide published

Poster: A snowHead
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-24947257
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Waiting for mine to arrive in the post.
Looks great - and a welcome modern addition to previous publications (from the SMC etc which are now out of print).
It is specifically for the Nevis Range + Ben Nevis area (not the whole of Scotland)
Can order it here...
http://www.skimountain.co.uk/scottish-offpiste-skiing-snowboarding-nevis
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I ordered it when it was first mentioned on here. Still waiting for it to arrive.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It only just got printed so I guess it'll be on the way.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mine arrived in Iceland today.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I just noticed that I received an email on the 18th saying "Hopefully you’ve received your new guidebook by now!"

I haven't, but it would seem that plenty have already been dispatched so I guess the balance will arrive soon enough.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How many pages is it? Presumably, they pad it with adverts to get to a double figure page count? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll give you all a run down once I've taken a look later.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Guide is excellent. Probably a bit much for most people but I can see it getting a lot of folks out into the wilds away from the steeps near resorts. I particularly like the simple and easy to understand info panel for each line. I found it particularly interesting having done almost all my skiing like this in the Cairngorms or here in Iceland. Should help put Scotland a bit more on the map for skiing as well if it gets enough circulation.

A must for anyone that thinks of themselves as a freerider or steep skier in the UK.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Oh yeah and there are adverts although only one page per sponsor so it's not at all noticeable.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just had an email from them. It seems they put the wrong postage on the parcels, so a large number are held up and require an extra payment (which they say they will repay).
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^ Aye : still waiting for mine too.
Kenny is 110% legit and a nice guy.
From what I have heard its a good book and will be worth the wait.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Are we going to find more tracks in the off piste in the future? When I've been places in the past, ours were usually the only tracks. And I am sure I will ski a few things I didn't know about before (so those who skied them as virginal swnow-fields before will suddenly find my tracks).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As meh says above - Kenny has done a good job (and yes I am biased because I know him well...).

I really like the 'harder than' 'comparable to' and 'combine with' panel for each route - should save people having too many epics hopefully...
Will there be more tracks in previously hidden spots? Undoubtedly yes, but then internet topos & info are becoming more and more widespread. Kenny gave copies to Seb Montaz & Vivian Bruchez last weekend at Kendal MF Snowsports and they were both surprised at the amount and variety of terrain.
Well done that man I say!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
don't tell my wife Seb Montaz was in Kendal last weekend- she'll go all strange...
ski holidays
^ the film (t's bien la?) is worth downloading.

Quote:
Are we going to find more tracks in the off piste in the future?

A number of unique factors keep Scottish off piste quiet.
And I don't think a guide book will change those much.

1) Scottish weather and snow conditions are so changeable that you need to be "keen / local / lucky" to make the most of it.
2) Easy accessible stuff like Spikes / Summit have been on the piste map for 20+years now and still no busier than they were in the 90s.
3) The steep or more remote descents can take considerable effort to reach.
4) Fresh snow doesn't last long in Scotland, usually the wind gets there before any skiers Wink
5) Much of the info is already online in the forms of TR's / British Backcountry Facebook / Winterhighland

IMHO : I dont think it is going to results in certain areas becoming stupidly crowded (like they could perhaps in alpine hot spots when a new book is published).
ski holidays
Just got mine. Its jolly colourful.

There was a £2 surcharge, of which £1 was an admin fee. I suspect Royal Mail has done alright out of the whole affair wink
snow report
I've had a card through the door to say they couldn't deliver.

Here is a nice photo from Clach Liathad that my friend Andrew (Jungle on Winterhighlands) sent me from a few days ago:
snow report
Quote:

^ the film (t's bien la?) is worth downloading.

T'es pas bien la? Watched it last night, very good. I liked the response to when the title is said in the film, , "Non" in a very worried voice!

It's funny, looking at your list of reasons why Scottish off-piste/steeps are unpopular I find myself agreeing but then think of my last three trips to Scotland (boys long weekend steeps trip frp the last three years) and despite having what on paper were "poor" conditions, still had a fantastic time ticking gullies in the Caairngorms, the Ben and Creag Meagaidh as well as some lovely tours.

I think Scotland rewards those who "go after it" a bit. If you're happy to set off from the car, when there's no snow in sight, in the drizzle with your skis on your back and get hiking or jump on a bike to get to the snowline then you'll always be rewarded. I love climbing and skiing in the Alps but the days and experiences that really stand out were all had in Scotland.

I've added the guide to my Christmas list!
snow report
Got mine today and it's excellent. So many routes I've skied although not sure that I'd agree Summit is 'harder than' Spikes but for sure, Easy is definitely 'harder than' Chancers. Loads of new possibilities but many of them will probably forever remain way outside of my skill/comfort zone. Lots of familiar faces in the great photographs too.
snow conditions
Got mine. I think they need to be encouraged so I'm not claiming my £2 back.
Looks very good, though a few of the descriptions could have been clearer - a pity the maps weren't better, but reproducing OS ones would have been prohibitively expensive I expect.

moffatross I agree about Spikes/Summit. Perhaps there was no cornice and nice snow on Spikes. Not the case when I was there - though more often the case on Summit.
The x grade descents I wouldn't consider. I don't know about the grade 5 : I'd have to look down one (with good snow) to see how it looks. When comparing with Easy gully (grade 4) is it the entry of that he is comparing with? The actual slope of that is relatively easy, so how does he compare with a steeper slope with no cornice? Would Aladins be a 4? I don't generally mind steepness if the snow is grippy, but I'm a chicken when it comes to cornices with steep, enclosed landing area.
latest report
snowball, from my read of it most 5's have some kind of exposure. Alladin's is an interesting one as it's not that steep but the top is pretty exposed to the ridge and Mirror with more chance of hitting a wall than a straighter, wider gully. Plus the lower section can have exposed rocks/ice from the water that runs down. A climber died there from a fall a few years ago so it's not innocuous.
ski holidays
The top part to the small spine was very icy when I was there. An incautious turn would have meant going all the way. The lower parts were lovely and, as you say, not steep. It is so hard to exclude condition from how we assess a slope.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 22-11-13 20:25; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Conditions are everything aren't they and just the look of something imperfect can knock my confidence. I think Easy can be just 'harder' or it can be very, very hard. Here is one of my favourite keepsake photos, whooping down the big bowl towards the lochan below, after what was a (relatively) very simple entry into Easy with next to no cornice and perfect, silky snow. On a big cornice day and with firm snow, there's no way I'd consider it with my current skills and confidence and I don't know if I ever would. The second and third photo shows a pal skiing below, and then climbing back out at Spikes on the same day. The last photo shows the summit gully area on the same, perfect late winter day. The reason I was puzzled about Summit's 'rank' is that I've twice skied it on pea-soup days that if it had been Chancers instead, could well have had me cartwheeling (I've skied Chancers on a pea-soup day too and it took some severe talking to myself to get rolling). I guess a lot of that is probably due to skier traffic as well i.e. Chancers is skied a lot so gets rutted on its steep aspects whereas Summit is skied much less so tends to hold more forgiving snow.

BTW, snowball, Kenny Biggin led the freeride clinic discussed in this thread ... http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=96677

Kenny's advice after watching me getting bashed about was to get some much stiffer boots ASAP, so it ended up costing me the price of some Maestrale RS's too (which are magic).

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Fri 22-11-13 20:25; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Yeah you can head down skiers left and that's Aladdin's Mirror and if you head straight down Aladdin's Mirror Direct the latter of which ends (from a skiing perspective) in a steep ice pitch which IIRC has been dropped by someone in really fat conditions but normally would be pretty lethal to fall off so a slip there could potentially be very nasty. If you were particularly unlucky you could also fall off the cliffy bit. Skiing Aladdin's is my favourite way back to the car park from the plateau in the right conditions.
latest report
moffatross wrote:
Easy with next to no cornice
Goodness, yes - I didn't know it was ever like that!
snow report
meh, yes, after Diagonal Gully one option on the return had been Aladdin's Mirror, but we (or rather I, with a flight to catch) ran out of time.
latest report
Here's one of the Aonach Mor West face routes covered in the book, skied on Sunday just gone. Very cool Cool ...

http://www.youtube.com/embed/NekAz57sWHg
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Looks superb .... maybe April ....
snow report
how good was that!
snow report
moffatross, fabulous (and some good skiing being done there)! Very Happy Had you skied it before?
I look forward to trying it one day (but how likely is this year's snow again?).
I had hoped to go up in late March/ early April before losing the season with this bl**dy leg. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Looks like a great run moffatross. I will be in the UK in late April - early May so I hope to go up for a tour in Scotland depending on how the snow is doing by then. It looks like it has been an excellent season so far up there so fingers crossed.
snow report
Another nice photo from this year (from Nevis website) of Easy Gully with minimal cornice.
http://nevisrange.ning.com/photo/easy-gully?context=album&albumId=2823451%3AAlbum%3A585476
snow report
snowball, nice picture. I take it that the other gullies are over to the right of the picture?
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, Easy Gully is dead centre of the three coires, in Coire an Lochan, very close to where the highest ski lift (a button tow) spits you out onto the summit plateau. About 1/2 km to the right (the north) is Coire Dubh with the likes of Chancer etc. and the mythical Braveheart chairlift which was reputed to have last spun up about 2 decades ago wink and Summit Coire is about a km to the left (south) with Summit Gully and Spikes. I'd put some photos up I'd taken when skiing some of these runs last Sunday in the Scotland conditions thread. We'd looked at Easy Gully and even my much more ballsy pals didn't fancy the gargantuan cornices that were protecting its entrance last weekend. Shocked

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=101916&start=400#2507375

First tracks in Summit Gully on Sunday ...
ski holidays
I think this video should be visible to most people - it's not mine, I saw in on the Nevis Rage facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=750589338308914

If not, apologies Wink
snow conditions
Thanks, nbt Laughing Kudos to them ... that's very brave work I'd imagine on a sit-ski. The commentary really is perfect. wink I rag-dolled down Backtrack about 5 or 6 years ago and ended up bruised and winded but nothing got hurt except for my ego.
snow report
moffatross, thanks for that.

Great pic too snowHead
snow conditions
moffatross, ooh, lovely pic. (And +1 on sit-ski)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy